Author Topic: Hail the Lamas...I mean the leaders...  (Read 9056 times)

Namdrol

• Email
Hail the Lamas...I mean the leaders...
« on: March 04, 2012, 03:45:31 AM »
What pictures do you put in monastery/temple? Obviously it would be some Buddhas, high lamas, lineage masters pictures that will enhance spiritual growth of the monks and the visitors, but...what about pictures of "Great Leaders of Communism" whose core ideology is "religion is poison"?

Tibet monasteries are now required to hang this picture in their halls, so, what blessings could the Tibetans possibly get from this? Does it mean that the leaders are emanations of some deities? Or is it to remind the monks that "religion is still poison" so that they will disrobe and go back to contribute to the society's workforce?

Or is it to replace the Dalai Lama's image so that they Tibetans will dissociate with the Dalai Lama and associate more with the communist leaders and eventually adopt the communists' policy? 

Klein

Re: Hail the Lamas...I mean the leaders...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:31:05 AM »
Dear Namdrol,

Let's not mix politics with religion. Whatever the Chinese Government does is secular. There is no perfect government in the world. Communism is against religion. But Communism did give the general Chinese some hope in their lives. Most Chinese before the Communists were peasants, lived in harsh conditions and were treated very poorly by the rich. There were really no hope to get out of their impoverished situation. Communism gave the masses hope.

Communism is not perfect just like democratism. Religion and many other aspects of the sociological aggregates suffered under Communism. However, looking at the current results of China under Communist rule, they are now the world's 2nd biggest economy. Regardless of the many flaws in the system, China has raised the overall standard of living for her citizens. That's a highly commendable feat especially when their population is over 1 billion. Many countries that have a fraction of their population still could't get out of their rut! China's Communism, if you've noticed, has evolved through the decades. It's no longer the Communism started by Chairman Mao.

In Tibet, the Chinese Government restored many monasteries for secular reasons. They don't suppress Buddhists from their practice. Right now their main concern is social unrest in their country. Any person with the potential of creating unrest will be their number 1 enemy. This is the same for all countries.

Coming back to putting up pictures of their country's leaders such as their President, Prime Minister and/or King and Queen. It is a common practice in many countries around the world. This is just a form of respect. It has nothing to do with religion.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 11:40:49 AM »
in most countries, hanging the image of the rulers of the country on a business premise is a sign of respect to the current government, and some Dharma centers are also required to do that in the gompa but not at the shrine (obviously) to show their respect to the rulers of the country. Sometimes, it could be the monarch's image, and sometimes the president's or prime minister's image and their consorts.

Hanging the leaders of the country in china should not really be a huge issue for Tibetan monasteries, although due to several incidents this is seen as sensitive and provocative to the Tibetan people, but in reality it is not. The Tibetan people should really stop being oversensitive about the whole leader thing. Even as we do pujas to appease to the land deities before starting a project, so we should appease the ruler of the nations to ensure that everything goes on smoothly.

If the country wants you to put the pictures of the leaders in the gompa as a sign of respect, i don't see why not as they have given the permission to build and run the temple on their land when they can always say no or build something more profitable than a monastery on the same land, so to oblige to their request is not something too much i feel.

Lets not mix the whole religion and politics thing from our side, they're merely respecting the state.

dsiluvu

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »
in most countries, hanging the image of the rulers of the country on a business premise is a sign of respect to the current government, and some Dharma centers are also required to do that in the gompa but not at the shrine (obviously) to show their respect to the rulers of the country. Sometimes, it could be the monarch's image, and sometimes the president's or prime minister's image and their consorts.

Hanging the leaders of the country in china should not really be a huge issue for Tibetan monasteries, although due to several incidents this is seen as sensitive and provocative to the Tibetan people, but in reality it is not. The Tibetan people should really stop being oversensitive about the whole leader thing. Even as we do pujas to appease to the land deities before starting a project, so we should appease the ruler of the nations to ensure that everything goes on smoothly.

If the country wants you to put the pictures of the leaders in the gompa as a sign of respect, i don't see why not as they have given the permission to build and run the temple on their land when they can always say no or build something more profitable than a monastery on the same land, so to oblige to their request is not something too much i feel.

Lets not mix the whole religion and politics thing from our side, they're merely respecting the state.

Yup I agree, I don't think it is such a big deal... I think in most countries it is a requirement to actually hang your countries leaders or heads. It is a form of respect and showing that you abide by the countries laws. It is only a big issue because Tibetans are not allowed to place HHDL picture as they believe He is still their temporal as well as spiritual leader. Unfortunately we do have to admit that Tibet is no longer an independent state of their own hence it would deem inappropriate to the Chinese Govt in their sense. Yes this can be a sensitive part but we need to accept and face the facts... Tibet is now part of China. And if we want peace and harmony, just do what is according to their country's law. "When in Rome do as the Roman do." What matters most is that they can still carry on their spiritual practice and well Dorje Shugden is not ban there for sure. Everything else is pretty much impermanent isn't it.

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 01:35:40 PM »
Or is it to replace the Dalai Lama's image so that they Tibetans will dissociate with the Dalai Lama and associate more with the communist leaders and eventually adopt the communists' policy?

According to Xinhua news agency, over a million Chinese national flags and the portrait Namdrol shared, were distributed to monasteries, schools, offices and houses. This was before Chinese New Year 2012 (Spring New Year). By putting up the flag/portrait, it's apparently meant to show the "heartfelt gratitude of Tibetans for the PRC central government and the Communist Party of China".

Some may scoff at this very thought.. but the Tibetans took it heavily, some to the point of self-immolation.

They were very enraged as it meant the beginning of the Chinese implementing the "Nine Must-Haves" policy. The Nine Must-Haves are the nine items that all Tibetans must have in their household/temple.

The "Nine Must-Haves" includes the communist flag, portraits of communist leaders, a copy of the state-run People's Daily to be displayed in all temples (Those who can read Chinese, please translate what the other Nine Must-Haves are: http://news.163.com/12/0213/08/7Q4N52B40001124J.html)

According to the Shanghaiist.com (http://shanghaiist.com/2012/02/13/tibet_daily_monks_praise_government.php), the Tibetan monks are said to be "praising" the Chinese government for this.

So to reply Namdrol's question above, I do think that the Chinese government's latest act is to disassociate the Tibetans with the Dalai Lama. This is done through a more wide scale movement, affecting all Tibetans and not just Tibetan monks and monasteries.

sonamdhargey

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 01:48:08 PM »
Any government will have their leader's pictures hanged in any establishment as a sign of respect for their leaders of the current government. I don't see what is the negative effect by having those pictures hanged and displayed in the monasteries. Having said that,if by putting up pictures to appease the government, why not? If it can bring about peace and harmony especially if the government let you practice your religion freely. Chinese government has restored some monasteries as well. Having good relationship with the current government can have it's benefits as well.

jeremyg

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 02:25:33 PM »

According to the Shanghaiist.com (http://shanghaiist.com/2012/02/13/tibet_daily_monks_praise_government.php), the Tibetan monks are said to be "praising" the Chinese government for this.

I am not sure whether or no the Tibetan monks are really parsing the Chinese for what they have done, or this is just some made up story by the Chinese to make them look good. We will never know, maybe they were forced into saying so.

However the article on that website also states that:

“Before, the books in the temple library were mainly about Buddhism. Now, popular science books have been added, and they help to broaden our knowledge,” the unnamed Konggar County monk was quoted as saying in Tibet Daily. “The [administration committee] even subscribes to the Tibetan-language version of People’s Daily for us.”

For me this is a very good thing if it were true. Letting the monks have more material in their monastery is very nice of the government, seeing as they cannot afford many things, and I am sure that some monks are very appreciative of this.

As for the pictures of leaders in monasteries, I feel this in inappropriate, and the Chinese government is overstepping their line. Who are they to say that their pictures should be included in these monasteries along with all the high lamas. This I disagree with strongly. I feel that it is highly disrespectful to the monks, and their religion. I also feel that in some ways they are just trying to show that they have the power to put their images everywhere. I am sure that they wouldn't allow high buddhist masters pictures in their government establishments. Then again i don't know.

Let me know what you think, I am very interested in knowing.

beggar

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 03:57:50 PM »
What do you mean by the monasteries being "required" to hang up pictures of the leaders? Is this really some kind of instruction issued by the government? Who issues this requirement? Could it be something that just the abbot has instructed?

The Chinese government, I'm sure, are acting from a political stance. This is not unusual, nor should we fault them on it - all governments have tricks up their sleeves.

Much as I hate politics though, I really don't find this negative. In a place like China, I'm sure that seeing pictures of political leaders is not unusual. Did you ever think that it could possibly be something to garner even more support for the monasteries from the local people? If they see the monasteries being endorsed by the government, and the monasteries being respectful to the politicians, it could be regarded as something correct, authorised and inspire confidence in the common person.

From a western perspective, this is shocking of course. we know we shouldn't mix religion and politics. in China though, there religion has never even been allowed into the equation. In this case, mixing religion and politics may even be regarded as a good thing - at least they're talking about it and allowing it! If putting in a picture of a political is all that is required for spiritual practice to grow in the area, then that would be a small concession to make.

The aim is to make Dharma grow, after all, isn't it? If that is what is required for them to be able to practice, teach and run their monasteries in peace and with the support they need, then I say, why not!

After all, when in Rome...

triesa

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 04:35:49 PM »
Government of any country is about power and control. And who ever is running the country, it is common that establishments including shops, hotels, offices, hospitals, institutions are required to have a picture of the president or the prime minister, or the queen and king to be hung on the wall. And without much hassel, most people will just do it to show respect and that they are law abiding citizens.

In the case here whereby the monasteries are required to hang the Chinese leaders' pics on the wall, I find that it is really "no big deal". It is really how you see it. Obviously the Chinese leaders can not bless the monks and nuns in the monastery like the buddhas, and I dont think the monks and nuns will propituate the Chinese leaders as buddhas also. If we can just treat this as a "respect" to the leaders of the country, then it wont be a big deal to anyone at all. 

When we can show respect to the leaders, it is like making peace with the landlord, less trouble for the monasteries. What it matters is the continuation of the lineage, the dharma practice of the sangha, and the growth of monasteries in China.

If the government let the Tibetans more land to build more monasteries and give them financial support, then bring your pictures along! I think the monks will sure find a place to hang the pics for them. ;D

shugdenprotect

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 04:38:52 PM »
There is no real issue in the act of hanging up the images of communist leaders. The question we should consider is the intention or motivated that ignited this movement. Another point for contemplation is the consequence of this act.

If the motivation is one that is intended to bring benefit in the long run, then: Great. If the end result of this movement will be one that is positive and brings benefit to many, also: Great!

Looking at the implementation of this movement as well as the history between Tibet and China, the intention is mixed. There is certainly a goal to ‘come in between’ the people and their traditional sacred relationship with the 3 Jewels. On the surface, it is not right to hinder or manipulate someone’s spiritual practice. However, incorporating secular leaders images in a manner that the people are familiar with (whereby they “get it”) can eventually prevent political upheaval and promote unity with central government, which in the long run is necessary for peace.

Therefore, it should not be concluded that this movement is wrong. Instead, one can say that the execution could have been better implemented with greater consideration and sensitivity.

vajrastorm

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 04:40:30 PM »
Even if monasteries in Tibet are required to hang pictures of Chinese leaders on their walls, to me it isn't a sign that the Chinese leaders are asking to be worshiped like a Buddha. I've seen some temples, in some Asian countries, with pictures of their Kings and heads of Government on the walls and those have not deterred people from visiting the temples to pray and worship.

More importantly is to recognize the fact that the Chinese government  has been restoring or helping to restore  Buddhist temples in Tibet, even if it's for secular reasons. The bottom line is the spread of Dharma and the practice of Shudgen in these temples. And these are happening. 

dondrup

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 05:58:30 PM »
It is a norm in many countries where the government leaders’ and monarch’s photos are displayed prominently in the premises of commercial and non-commercial organisations.  It is generally to cultivate patriotism to their nations and their leaders.

I felt that the Tibetan shouldn’t be overly concerned or sensitive about this requirement as long as the Chinese Government does not curtail the freedom of practice in the monasteries.  It is an irony that these communist leaders are willing to place their photos in the temples!  Compare this to the time during the Cultural Revolution where all religious practices were banned and destroyed.

At the moment the Chinese Government should be commended for their religious polices for Tibet.  At least now in China, Tibetans can practise Dorje Shugden practices openly and freely.  Who is better – CTA or Chinese Government?

pgdharma

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 01:35:58 PM »
I don’t think there is any issue of putting up photos of the leaders in the monasteries.  In most countries, hanging up photos of the King and Queen or high ranking government officials is a sign of showing respect to the leaders. It has nothing to do with politics.

If putting up the photos can make the Chinese government happy, bring peace and harmony and freedom to practice why not. Also the Chinese government has been helping in restoring many monasteries and allowing religious practice in Tibet, which is a good sign as the bottom line is the spread of Buddhism and Dorje Shugden.

ilikeshugden

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 02:37:39 PM »
I know that the Communist leaders may not be popular with the TIbetans. But the Tibetans need to respect the great Chinese history. They need to respect the Chinese law because Tibet is part of China. The Tibetans may not be happy at first but the Chinese government is creating the causes for the Tibetans in the TIbet province in China to practice compassion, patience and respect. Also, if they followed the Chinese law, the Chinese government will allow them more freedom to practice Buddhism as seen when His Holiness the Panchen Lama met the Chinese President recently. I hope that the Tibetans' minds may be at peace when they see these pictures on their wall.