Author Topic: Discontent and unhappiness  (Read 10932 times)

DharmaDefender

Re: Discontent and unhappiness
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 06:25:24 PM »
I think the main cause for the Chinese being not happy is because they emphasize so much on materialism and they do not live in the present and appreciate what they have.  Definitely, I think Buddhist teachings will help them to gain satisfaction and happiness in life. 

For this reason, I think Dorje Shugden is good for them because he is very swift and effective in bringing Dharma to those in need.

A bit racist dont you think? Okay maybe racist is pushing it a little, but perhaps the Chinese are just catching up on what we in the West have been practising for many more centuries beforehand. Colonise the world? Enslave Africa? Deforest the New World and rape it of its resources? Hey, why not right? Capitalism, survival of the fittest, the rat race - all these were concepts termed, coined and defined in the West.

At least the Chinese for so many centuries had the teachings of Confucius and the Tao to rely on... and for a period, although it was eventually perverted, had the ideals of Communism impressed (to put it kindly!) on the society. What did we have? A bunch of blokes swanning about in frocks probably doing a bit of fiddling with the altar boys! Oh and not to forget, an adulterer who wasnt granted a divorce and therefore set up an entire branch of a religion to pander to his lust!

But I digress (evidently).

I am inclined to agree with Ensapa. The disparity in the distribution of wealth, AND the wealth of information now available makes the inequalities between different groups of people all the more evident. Its a pity that instead of Buddhism bringing people together, our faith is now being used to drive more families and friends further apart. I mean, why would people already suffering inequality and seeking solace in faith, want to get involved with a religion that has a ban which promotes discrimination? Otherwise, with our middle way approach, we wouldve been best placed to draw all these unhappy, suffering beings to us... pity ego got in the way of Dorje Shugden helping others.

People are discontent nowadays because they always see something better that they want but cannot get. They get unhappy because of that because there are just too many things to distract us from the truth that we do not need all the external things to make us happy yet we work based on that projection. So as a result of that we make ourselves unhappy. This is the reason why as things get more convenient, we get more and more unhappy and discontent.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 04:18:07 AM »
A bit racist dont you think? Okay maybe racist is pushing it a little, but perhaps the Chinese are just catching up on what we in the West have been practising for many more centuries beforehand. Colonise the world? Enslave Africa? Deforest the New World and rape it of its resources? Hey, why not right? Capitalism, survival of the fittest, the rat race - all these were concepts termed, coined and defined in the West.

At least the Chinese for so many centuries had the teachings of Confucius and the Tao to rely on... and for a period, although it was eventually perverted, had the ideals of Communism impressed (to put it kindly!) on the society. What did we have? A bunch of blokes swanning about in frocks probably doing a bit of fiddling with the altar boys! Oh and not to forget, an adulterer who wasnt granted a divorce and therefore set up an entire branch of a religion to pander to his lust!

But I digress (evidently).

I am inclined to agree with Ensapa. The disparity in the distribution of wealth, AND the wealth of information now available makes the inequalities between different groups of people all the more evident. Its a pity that instead of Buddhism bringing people together, our faith is now being used to drive more families and friends further apart. I mean, why would people already suffering inequality and seeking solace in faith, want to get involved with a religion that has a ban which promotes discrimination? Otherwise, with our middle way approach, we wouldve been best placed to draw all these unhappy, suffering beings to us... pity ego got in the way of Dorje Shugden helping others.

To practice or not to practice Dorje Shugden is a choice for everyone. It is up to the individual to choose whether or not they want to investigate more about Dorje Shugden and accept him as their Dharma protector or see that Dorje Shugden is an evil spirit and lose out a chance to gain his protection, blessings and wealth as well as higher attainments such as Bodhicitta. Always wanting to be on the safe or good side but basing decisions on hearsay is what a lot of people are doing and come to think of it, they do not deserve Dorje Shugden because they're simply too lazy to go and investigate themselves before coming to the conclusion.

Gabby Potter

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 04:57:37 PM »
What I think is that, sometimes having wealth doesn't mean the world to us. When we use the money to to charity works, that's a different kind of story; but mostly people will just focus on themselves and keep on planning how they should use the money etc. As long as we are alive, we will definitely have expectations, unless we are wiling to change it, or we will never be happy.