Author Topic: World is Becoming a Happier Place Says Dalai Lama  (Read 6197 times)

icy

World is Becoming a Happier Place Says Dalai Lama
« on: January 12, 2013, 06:35:35 AM »
The Policymic writes:

"As we enter the third week of a new year, humanity as a collective species is left to our endless pursuit of happiness.

A life of happiness and a life of meaning, while separate, can overlap each other when the idea of living life with purpose is seen as a long-term source of happiness. The idea that there is indeed an undefinable quality to all things in life is a very present realization that can channel present happiness into a direction for a life of meaning. While a life of happiness and a life of meaning are not one in the same, it is necessary to pursue both as a human being and to realize that happiness can lead to purpose and living a life of meaning will bring a greater retrospective happiness that outweighs present troubles.

In other words, find something that brings quality to life, follow it, and happiness will follow.

Happiness is that somewhat elusive thing that we know is there, that we know what it's like to feel, yet it is left largely undefinable. It can be something fleeting and shallow or it can be something profound and lasting. There is happiness realized in retrospect, happiness realized in the present moment, and happiness in anticipating something in the future we know will bring us happiness.

Happiness, while being a driving force for most decisions we make in life, from the very small (black or with cream) to the very large (take the job in Boston or hit the road west), remains at odds in the eyes of some to a life of meaning. Happiness is a very present pursuit that aligns itself with a way of living that has elements of Buddhism or Robert Pirsig's Metaphysics of Quality. To be happy is to be in the present, seeking something that will only really exist in the present. This is at odds with the definition of a life of meaning. While happiness is concerned with now, meaning looks to the past and the future as part of an overarching purpose.

A recent piece in The Atlantic looks to the life's work of Viktor Frankl. Frankl is a prominent Jewish psychiatrist who caught the attention of Sigmund Freud while he was just a teenager. His bestselling book, Man's Search for Meaning, chronicles his experiences living and surviving in a Nazi concentration camp during WWII. The story illuminates a life that saw the worst in humanity. Most of Frankl's family, including his pregnant wife, had perished in the camp, but still he survived. The story Frankl tells sheds light on his mantra for living a life of meaning in that the last human freedom is the freedom to choose one's attitude under any circumstance.

In a great little article for PolicyMic, Billy Kenneth touches on this very same idea that Viktor Frankl arrives at in his book: seeking happiness as something tangible will only lead to unhappiness. In trying to define happiness itself, the field of positive psychology took hold. In the paper, Some Key Differences Between a Happy Life and a Meaningful Life, Roy F. Baumeister et al. theorize that happiness is natural and meaning is cultural. The pursuit of happiness in any form reflects an animalistic instinct that seeks satisfaction and pleasure from something. Meaning becomes more like a web where each person has self-defined their part to add to a collective whole. Meaning reflects designed purpose to one's life that leaves the byproduct of happiness irrelevant.

Viktor Frankl boils these two separate pursuits as simply “takers” and “givers.” A person who leads a life in search of happiness only takes and a person who leads a life of meaning gives their life to a greater purpose. In a life of meaning driven by purpose, the present may be unenjoyable with the promise of a greater future.

But, with such broad definitions of happiness and meaning, it is impossible to really completely separate the two as two branches to live life. As I said earlier, a life with purpose is a source of happiness and the definition of happiness will be very different for all people. The Dalai Lama, in an interview with ABC News, said that “the 21st century will be much happier” than we have been in the past. In the interview, he pointed out an awakening compassion for all people. He pointed to “positive signs” of outpourings of support from all over the world in response to earthquakes and natural disasters in Haiti, Chile, the Philippines and his native Tibet. He pointed out that support of the magnitude we are seeing in the 21st century, while sometimes misguided, would have been unheard of 100 years ago.

With the information age, we are beginning to see a greater merge between happiness and meaning in the way we connect as a world community. The news from South Africa, England, China, or Brazil is no longer that far away anymore. We are living in an age where the world is nearly our doorstep. So happiness has become something very interconnected. The quality of life of someone else and feeling compassion for others becomes a meaningful pursuit and over time that meaning and purpose will be realized as profound happiness. In the 21st century, this just happens faster than ever before.

While happiness can take many forms, the profound happiness that comes from purpose places happiness into the realm of a life of meaning. The line between simply “givers” and “takers” is more gray as happiness can be seen as a result of living a life of purpose. In the same way, a life of meaning doesn't always have to be waiting on something in the future. Purpose can be found in the present in simply being and realizing the quality that can be found in the simplest of events.

Living a life of meaning and living a life of happiness, despite being inherently different, cannot be treated as two separate ways of living in the 21st century as the definitions of true happiness and true purpose are ever-changing.

The search for the quality in life is at the core of a life driven by purpose and meaning. While happiness remains hard to define, it is an undeniable result of our positive actions in life. Transitory day-to-day happiness is not the end-point of our being, it is part of the effort to illuminate quality for ourselves through a life guided by meaning. Aside from being simply “givers” and “takers,” we see the complex evolution of happiness become a result of purpose. "

samayakeeper

• Email
Re: World is Becoming a Happier Place Says Dalai Lama
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 03:30:10 AM »
My happiness was when my erudite and realized Lama gave me the practice of Dorje Shugden. Through the compassion of my erudite Lama's giving and teaching, Dorje Shugden has protected and benefited me in so many ways, and I have great faith, He will continue to do so.

My unhappiness was when the ban was enforced en masse on all Shugdenpa causing great hardship to innocent lay people who for decades have been quietly doing their protector practice to remove obstacles and alleviate their worldly problems. For the sangha members who have for centuries, with great guru devotion, been practicing and holding pujas for the lay community. For the highly realized Lamas, who with compassion and love and joy offer initiations tirelessly for the people.

I look forward to great joy and happiness when the ban comes down. When? Soon.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 05:02:38 AM »
Well, could someone point out to the Dalai Lama that the world except for Dharamsala is a happier place because Dharamsala has been discriminating and stepping down on Dorje Shugden practitioners. I dont think that is the cause for a happier place at all. I dont think anyone would be happy knowing that their names are in a hitlist that was set up by the government. I dont think anyone is happy knowing that they dont belong to the community that they once look up to anymore because they choose to stick to the Dharma practice that their teachers gave them. So  maybe the Dalai Lama should say, everywhere in the world but in Dharamsala and certain parts of africa is a happier place. He could fix the situation in Dharamsala tho by lifting the ban, then there's another happier place in the world.

Q

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 06:07:04 PM »
Living a life of meaning and living a life of happiness, despite being inherently different, cannot be treated as two separate ways of living in the 21st century as the definitions of true happiness and true purpose are ever-changing.

The search for the quality in life is at the core of a life driven by purpose and meaning. While happiness remains hard to define, it is an undeniable result of our positive actions in life. Transitory day-to-day happiness is not the end-point of our being, it is part of the effort to illuminate quality for ourselves through a life guided by meaning. Aside from being simply “givers” and “takers,” we see the complex evolution of happiness become a result of purpose. "

Happiness is when I read an article about Trijang Rinpoche giving DS Sogtae to a group of people in Mongolia... haha!

Well, the definition of happiness in the 21st century certainly have changed!... if the ban on DS is what brings happiness, I would say people are totally out of their mind.

How can happiness come from oppression and lack of religious freedom? Illogical.  The ban on DS certainly has taken away 'living a life of meaning' and 'living a life of happiness' from all DS practitioners, so what's left for us when these two are taken away? Nothing.

It's either the CTA is intentionally remaining oblivious to the obvious or they are playing puppet. You can't call yourself a government for the people if there is a higher authority controlling or have influence over you. Clearly the CTA is still stuck in the dark ages and refuse to change.

Big Uncle

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 08:21:27 PM »
I find this statement from the Dalai Lama a little hard to believe especially when I wake up every day and I pick up the newspaper and turn to the international section. I just flip through the news, one by one and all I read about is war, famine, rape, pollution and economic downturn. There's no news that reports about people are getting happier. There's nothing that reads that people are really getting happier and taking on more spirituality.

On the other hand, I do read a little bit of news about the Dalai Lama and a few other religious leaders travelling all over the world to spread the message of spirituality and various methods and ways to achieve happiness. Happiness is such an intangible thing and yet it is such a universal aspect that every single being on earth are seeking it. It is so easy to recognize and yet, it is so elusive for everyone including myself are still seeking.

In fact, many of us practice Dorje Shugden practice because he is able to help us to overcome the obstructions on the path to achieving our personal happiness and ultimately peace. Some people say that Dorje Shugden is a Gelug protector but some Lamas like Gangchen Rinpoche say that he is a Universal Peace Protector for everyone. I totally agree and would like to see Dorje Shugden's practice grow in that way throughout the world.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 06:46:23 AM »
To me, happiness is when many people derive benefit from Dorje Shugden and all the stories of people who benefitted from Dorje Shugden's practice. It gives me great joy to listen or read about them because it would mean that they would also have Dharma seeds planted into them. Many people need Dorje Shugden's help to clear their obstacles and problems in order to have a more fulfilling life, or at least a life where they have space for spiritual practice which otherwise they would not have. Spiritual practice is important for everyone as there needs to have a balance in things, so Dorje Shugden would help them achieve that while solving their secular problems, or at least problems that the perceive to be problems.

Gabby Potter

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 06:11:43 PM »
As long as there's discrimination, as long as there's ban on Dorje Shugden, as long as there's violence, I respectfully disagree with what the Dalai Lama had said. How can the world be happy when there's no religious freedom? I think that what will truly make the world happy and be at peace is when the ban is lifted, everyone can practise what they believe in.

fruven

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 11:36:46 PM »
We must not turn a blind and close our ears to the unhappiness and suffering that is happening all over the places, the reality. Too much self absorption is a fake unhappiness which will lead to more sufferings.

On a positive note we should rejoice and grateful for the peace and happiness we are experiencing now. We also rejoice for those who are having peace now. We should not deny the good experience we are having as rejoicing over our good karma is as important too. It is contentment.

Matibhadra

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 02:32:38 AM »
The Dalai Lama, in an interview with ABC News, said that “the 21st century will be much happier” than we have been in the past.

This is because the evil dictator believes in mundane happiness, and in his idiocy sees a lot of mundane happiness for the 1%, such as the financiers paying his monthly allowances, but exploiting and terrorizing the remaining 99% of humanity.

eyesoftara

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 04:44:44 AM »
It makes sense to say the World Becoming a Happier Place then reverse. Sounds diplomatic and politically correct. It is like if I say this, I just have something to do with it. I am not saying His Holiness did not contribute to the increase of happiness, I am just saying it is redundant and a conjecture that cannot be measure and proven. So it just sound good and looks good.
It is almost as if to say, "Since, I said something positive, then next thing I say will also be good.". Typical sales techniques that good salesmen, politicians and diplomats use. That is all.
Points for the Dalai Lama. LOL.

Matibhadra

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 03:07:36 PM »
Typical sales techniques that good salesmen, politicians and diplomats use.

What you call “good” salesmen, politicians, and diplomats, are precisely the “successful” professional liars, who achieve deceptive, mundane happiness at the expense of bringing suffering to others.

Deceiving others for their own profit, they achieve some deceptive success for this life, but according to Lamrim teachings, achieve only suffering in the lower realms in future lives.

That is all. Points for the Dalai Lama.

You say this because you share the wrong view that deceiving others for one's own profit is a method to achieve happiness.

While this wrong view is ultimately based on the three poisons, such as ignorance, greed, and hatred, it is exemplified by evil, perverted ideologies, such as Judaism, capitalism, and dalaism.

Supporting them one gets indeed many points, which will successfully facilitate one's triumphal entrance in the lower realms, and, of course, in the garbage bin of history. Congratulations.

Matibhadra

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 03:39:51 PM »
Here is an accurate explanation of why the evil dalai, and his bankster sponsors such as the financial terrorist George Soros, believe that the world is becoming a “happier place” (for them):

Richest 1% to own more than half world's wealth by 2016 - Oxfam
Published time: January 19, 2015 09:42
Reuters

As global movers and shakers head to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Oxfam is warning that an increasing wealth disparity is “leaving ordinary people voiceless and their interests uncared for.”

The collective wealth of the world’s richest 1 percent will exceed that of the other 99 percent of the global population next year, unless steps are taken to address the inequality, Oxfam warned ahead of the annual Davos meeting.

Oxfam, an anti-poverty charity, released a report titled, “Wealth: Having It All and Wanting More,” which reveals that the richest 1 percent, who had an average wealth of $2.7 million per adult in 2014, have seen their share of global wealth soar yet further, increasing from 44 percent in 2009 to 48 percent in 2014.

World’s 400 richest get richer, adding $92bn in 2014

At this rate, the richest 1 percent, who became the focal point of public outrage during the 2011 Occupy Wall Street protests, will own more than 50 percent of the world’s wealth by 2016.

Oxfam executive director Winnie Byanyima, who will co-chair the Davos symposium, said she will draw attention to the grim fact that “one in nine people do not have enough to eat and more than a billion people still live on less than $1.25 a day,” she told The Guardian.

“Do we really want to live in a world where the 1 percent own more than the rest of us combined? The scale of global inequality is quite simply staggering and despite the issues shooting up the global agenda, the gap between the richest and the rest is widening fast.”

However, despite constant warnings that the upward curve in wealth concentration will only lead to disaster, the rich continue to gobble up a bigger and bigger share of the global wealth pie.

Last year, Oxfam reported that the world’s 85 richest people have the same wealth as the poorest 50 percent (3.5 billion people). This year, Oxfam said the reality has become even more worrisome, with just 80 people owning the same amount of wealth as more than 3.5 billion people.

In 2010, the number of individuals owning the same amount of wealth as the poorest half of the world’s population was 388.

http://rt.com/news/223963-oxfam-wealth-davos-report/
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/19/us-davos-meeting-inequality-idUSKBN0KS0SW20150119