Author Topic: Segyu Gaden Phodrang’s Rainy Season Retreat of 2013  (Read 3637 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Segyu Gaden Phodrang’s Rainy Season Retreat of 2013
« on: July 22, 2013, 12:35:12 PM »
In case anyone is interested or if anyone wishes to visit the monastery in Kathmandu, Nepal!

Segyu Gaden Phodrang’s Rainy Season Retreat of 2013
http://segyugadenphodrang.org/news/

July  22nd  -  Rainy Season Retreat begins along with monastic confession ceremony and Yamantaka intensive Sadhana preparation.
July 23rd  to 27th  – Deity Yamantaka intensive Sadhana session with fire puja offering.
July 28th to August 1st  Heruka  Chakrasambara intensive Sadhana session with fire puja offering (SDROP CHOD).
August 2nd and 3rd Reading 105 Volumes of texts of Buddha’s Teachings.
August 4th and 5th Tara thread cross ceremony (sgrol ma g-yul mdos gra sgrig dang dngos gzhi’i cho ga rgyas pa).
August 6th  and 7th  – Simhanada Nagas rite, preparing and actual session( Sangey da , rje btsun seng ge sgra’i klu chog)
August  8th and 9th – Six month monastic memorization examination.
August 10th to 18th – Guhyasamaja  Sand Mandala preparation and  construction.
August 19th to 21st – Guhyasamaja intensive sadhana session with Great Consecration ceremony and fire puja offering (gsang ba ‘dus pa’i sgrub mchod sbyin sreg).
August 22nd  and 23rd  –Reading 225 volumes translated teaching of Buddha. (commentaries on works of buddha in 225 volumes of tripitaka)
August 24th to 26th   – Great Kangso offering to Mahakala, Kalarupa, Sridevi, and Kubera etc.
August 27th   – Special Dorje Shugden Khangso offering puja (chos skyong bskang gso zab rgyas).
August 28th  – Death anniversary offerings  day of great Master Dhulwa Zenpa Palden Sangpo
August 29th to 30th   –  17th chapter Guhyasamaja Tantra texts reading (dpal gsang ba ‘dus pa’i rgyud gzhung le’u 17 rgyud phyi ma bcas).
August 31st  – Vajra Yogini waxing moon period tenth offering.
September 1st  3rd  – White Umbrella Godess offering for averting epidemics (gdugs dkar bzlog chen).
September 4th  – Last day of Rainy Season Retreat along with confession ceremony,start of monks holiday (dgag dbye )
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
Re: Segyu Gaden Phodrang’s Rainy Season Retreat of 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 10:30:37 PM »
Thank you Wisdom Being for such information. It has never crossed my mind that there would be such retreats like a rainy season retreat, but i stand corrected. It allowed me to understand what the retreat is about as well!

Ensapa

• Email
Re: Segyu Gaden Phodrang’s Rainy Season Retreat of 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 11:29:29 PM »
Thank you Wisdom Being for such information. It has never crossed my mind that there would be such retreats like a rainy season retreat, but i stand corrected. It allowed me to understand what the retreat is about as well!

Hi Rinchen,

the rainy season retreat is a tradition that the Buddha started. It is more common in the southern Buddhist tradition where it is known as Vassa. During this period, monks are discouraged from going outside as many insects would surface due to the rain and travelling will kill them, therefore during this period the monks would do their retreats and meditations.

This is an explanation of what it is:

Vassa is a three-month annual retreat observed by Theravada monks and nuns. It begins on the day after the full moon day of the eighth lunar month of the common Buddhist calendar, which usually falls in July. The retreat ends on the 15th day of the waxing moon of the eleventh lunar month, usually in October.

During Vassa, monks and nuns remain inside monasteries and temple grounds, devoting their time to intensive meditation and study. Laypeople support the monastic sangha by bringing food, candles and other offerings to temples. Laypeople also often observe Vassa by giving up something, such as smoking or eating meat. For this reason, westerners sometimes call Vassa the "Buddhist Lent."

The tradition of Vassa began during the life of the Buddha. Most of the time, the first Buddhist monks who followed the Buddha did not stay in one place, but walked from village to village to teach. They begged for their food and often slept outdoors, sheltered only by trees.

But during India’s summer rainy season living as homeless ascetics became difficult. So, groups of monks would find a place to stay together until the rain stopped, forming a temporary community. Wealthy laypeople sometimes sheltered monks on their estates. Eventually a few of these patrons built permanent houses for monks, which amounted to an early form of monastery.

And this is the Tibetan version of it, also known as Yarney. I got this excerpt from Gampo Abbey's website, but it gives a clear overview of what is it about.

Yarne is the traditional monastic "rains season" retreat held annually at Gampo Abbey since 1984. The practice stems from the Indian custom established by the Buddha. At that time the retreat was three months long and done during the summer season of rains. The summer retreat in India was a practical response to the monsoon weather. As well, it was considered not appropriate to travel with the increased likelihood of walking on insects during the rains.

At Gampo Abbey the Tibetan version of 1½ months is practiced. Plus, this "summer" retreat takes place in the winter, which gives rise to hilarity to visiting Tibetans. But there are too many tourists and visitors during the pleasant summer months to close off the Abbey. Thrangu Rinpoche approved this arrangement.

Properly considered, a monastery in the Tibetan tradition has three main commitments:

Sojong, the confession liturgy, is performed every two weeks with the new and full moon.
Yarne, the seven-week yearly retreat. Yarne is marked by the taking of the eight vows daily as well as a commitment not to cross the physical boundaries.
Gagye, the lifting of the restrictions in force during Yarne.