Author Topic: Reincarnation  (Read 22555 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Re: Reincarnation
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2013, 03:21:49 AM »
Talking about "convincing western minds" these videos are actually done in the West! Not to generalize it, but I gather there must be interest in this phenomena shown through this anecdote.

Yes, there is a level of fascination in the West, but most people don't have enough traction to make it into a solid concrete belief.  It's not the point of these shows to convince anyone, they just "entertain" the possibility.  So these stories do appeal to people (there is capitalist demand putting on the TV afterall), but most people do not bet much on it.  And these shows do reflect the current status of science on this point, that there is not much to proof it at the moment, nor is there currently a lot within the domain of science (yet) to disprove it.

I like what you brought up that "that there is not much to proof it at the moment, nor is there currently a lot within the domain of science (yet) to disprove it"

Isn't it an irony that people actually make up their own believes without any basis and "demands"  the whole world, science, the spiritual masters all to provide proofs before and iota of believe arise?

Ok...I was like that big time and am definitely still working to crumble my make believe reality due to ignorance. 

thanks
DSFriend

I kind of beg to differ in a way. Western minds are harder to educate because they hold on to their own opinions too strongly and this kind of makes it hard for them to accept something that goes against their own ideas of how things something should work. This is also why many Buddhist masters from across the traditions have commented that it is extremely difficult to teach western students as they tend to have big egos. Reincarnation is not an alien concept to asians, but all the same they dont make it difficult for the teacher to teach them by constantly challenging the teacher instead of wanting to find out.

Ratna Shugden

• Email
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2013, 04:03:36 AM »
Would You Relive Your Life?

What would you do if you had a chance to live part of your life all over again? Would you reverse the hands of time to do things differently?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-power-slow/201204/would-you-relive-your-life

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2013, 05:39:18 AM »

What would you do if you had a chance to live part of your life all over again? Would you reverse the hands of time to do things differently?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-power-slow/201204/would-you-relive-your-life

In a way, I would love to re-live my life and change my decisions and experiences, based on what I have learnt from them, but then if i have never gone through them, how do i know if they are bad? If i had not known that they were bad, i would probably make that mistake sooner or later in the future, and thus it would have been better for me to just undergo what i have undergone, the pain and all so that i can learn from them. So in general, i dont think it would make that much of a difference if you really think about it, it's a logic loop of sorts.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 03:47:03 AM »

Yes i would do certain things differently if i could relive my life. There are things i would not have done because i didn't know the effects would be that way. But perhaps those circumstances shaped me and made me who i am today, and for that i do not have regrets. By the way, there is a fine line between wanting to change previous actions and having regrets over the actions. I am quite lucky I guess in that i do not have any regrets in my life - the good, the bad and the ugly, as they are everything that has made up the fabric of my life - for this lifetime anyway!
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 07:03:11 AM »
Reliving our lives?  But we can't!  So what is the point of worrying about reliving it--- like when Buddha was responding to someone that asked him how did the world/universe start, Buddha replied that the person asking the question was like a man who has just had an arrow fired into his leg and asked why is there an arrow in my leg rather than how do I get this arrow out of my leg.
  If there is anything we wish we did differently, we could do Vajrasattva to help purify it.  Do I wish I had met the dharma at an earlier age--- like birth--- and practiced it really well from childhood?  Yes, but I was an adult, so I can do Vajrasattva for the karmas that didn't give me an immediate precious human rebirth and aspiration prayers, and of course, since I rely on Dorje Shugden, I can also ask for his help to make the conditions good for my practice now, and help with realizations so I can make this life meaningful.  So, while it is good if we have regrets, really, because they are one of the four opponent powers, we can really rejoice that we now have the opportunity to purify our karma and continue our daily practices.  Of course, if we hurt someone, in the past or acted inappropriately we can try to make amends. 

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2013, 07:43:47 AM »
here's another clincher: if we had not experienced some of the pain that our mistakes and wrong decisions have taught us, then how is it that we can learn from them and make the decisions that we have made? Would we have chosen Dharma if we have not been through the sufferings that we have caused ourselves as a result from bad decisions or prior ignorance, if we had a perfect life that is devoid of the suffering that our decisions have caused? I'd say that it is due to all the pain and suffering that we have experienced that made us choose the path we choose today..

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 03:01:26 AM »
here's another clincher: if we had not experienced some of the pain that our mistakes and wrong decisions have taught us, then how is it that we can learn from them and make the decisions that we have made? Would we have chosen Dharma if we have not been through the sufferings that we have caused ourselves as a result from bad decisions or prior ignorance, if we had a perfect life that is devoid of the suffering that our decisions have caused? I'd say that it is due to all the pain and suffering that we have experienced that made us choose the path we choose today..

From my perspective, I would still have to say that generally, especially in Buddhism, 'what if' about the past might not be too useful to worry about.  And yes, if we have the right imprints and trajectory, the Buddhas can arrange our conditions so that we notice suffering and wish to embrace the Buddhist teachings when we have the opportunity. 

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2015, 07:26:28 AM »
The fact that we are still asking about reincarnation is the reason why we are born in samsara without the slightest idea what to do with this precious human life.

Reincarnation had been proven scientifically and yet in our refusal to let go our our desires and attachments we are again entrapped with this life to have wasted it.

This article is compelling to read to rid us of some ignorance.  Please do so as so much is explained for us.