Author Topic: James Burns  (Read 6873 times)

DharmaSpace

James Burns
« on: March 11, 2011, 01:56:15 PM »
James Burns, a British Buddhist devoted to Dorje Shugden, has written many highly informative posts on the Internet.

Burns explained his feelings in a post on Sept. 15, 1998:
"In the UK how would you feel if you were not allowed to travel abroad because you are a Buddhist?

How would you feel if you were not allowed to hold a legal, government or medical post because of your religion?

How would you feel if your children and relatives were banned from attending state schools?
How would you feel if someone was sick in your family but you were frightened to ask for medical help because people would find out what your religion was?

How would you feel if people boycotted your business or profession just because you held certain beliefs?

How would you feel if your relatives and friends were encouraged to spy on you and report what you did just because of what you believed?

How would you feel if people came into your house uninvited and removed those things that you held most sacred?

How would you feel if you lost your pension and state benefits just because you were a Buddhist?

How would you feel if, on the same basis, your UK citizenship was removed?"

DSFriend

Re: James Burns
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:53:17 PM »
Isn't it interesting that the international organisations (focusing on humanitarian issues) have not gotten involved in this religious discrimination and inhumane actions carried out on these believers and practitioners?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:57:02 PM by DSFriend »

Roberto

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 10:53:48 PM »
Interesting is a word probably used for a long time during Apartheid, during Segregation in the US states. Before consciousness took root and peole began to take notice and say hangon a minute. What if the tables were switched they were me and I were them.

Today with the internet and how accessible it is to publish anything we believe in it won't take as long for those oppressed to be free. I guess patience is a virtue? Or is it the purfication of a collective karma.

Prayers going out to those oppressed may they be free real soon!

DharmaDefender

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 05:34:41 PM »
Isn't it interesting that the international organisations (focusing on humanitarian issues) have not gotten involved in this religious discrimination and inhumane actions carried out on these believers and practitioners?

The issue is just too far removed for many of them, and it hinges on a touchy subject they probably feel like they don't understand - religion. If you look at the other humanitarian issues that these groups focus on, and those that are 'big', they are issues that also have governmental support.

Human rights abuses in Iraq? Humanitarian NGO support? Check. Governmental support? Check.

Human rights abuses in Iran? Humanitarian NGO support? Check. Governmental support? Check.

Human rights abuses in China? Humanitarian NGO support? Check. Governmental support? Check.

Human rights abuses in Zimbabwe? Humanitarian NGO support? Check. Governmental support? Check.

I could go on and on but I think you get what I mean! So then you look at why governments support those causes and it always goes back to one thing - economics.

Human rights abuses in Karen and Rohingya refugees? Humanitarian NGO support? No. Governmental support? No.

Human rights abuses in the 2008 war in South Ossetia? Humanitarian NGO support? No. Governmental support? No.

At the end of the day, I think the humanitarian groups have overcomplicated the issue in their heads - tulkus, oracles, Dharma protectors...they probably think, how can a Western humanitarian organisation comprehend such esoteric Eastern concepts?

There they've made the mistake because in fact, the issue is really quite simple - people aren't being allowed to practise their beliefs, end of.

Big Uncle

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:37:05 PM »
We can talk about human rights issues till the cows come home and it will still not change anything. Why? Fundamentally, Tibetan society, the way it functions and the belief system, education and everything else is stuck in medieval times. So, if we remove the entire TGIE and replace them with new leaders, it will eventually revert back to the same system and the same human right abuses.

One way is to educate the Tibetan population at grassroots level starting with the children about political freedom and human rights. That will take a generation or two to see that it comes to fruition. Another way would be to divert the attention away from this ban like the Karmapa controversy. However, that worked for awhile but it looks like it is fizzling out real fast. One other way is to make Dorje Shugden really strong and accepted outside of Tibetan community and this will shame the TGIE into silence. What do you guys think?

DSFriend

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 10:33:25 AM »

I could go on and on but I think you get what I mean! So then you look at why governments support those causes and it always goes back to one thing - economics.

Right on!..sadly that's what it is about.

At the end of the day, I think the humanitarian groups have overcomplicated the issue in their heads - tulkus, oracles, Dharma protectors...they probably think, how can a Western humanitarian organisation comprehend such esoteric Eastern concepts?

There they've made the mistake because in fact, the issue is really quite simple - people aren't being allowed to practise
their beliefs, end of.

Perhaps it could  be overcomplicating issues. Perhaps, no substantial reason to get involved because there's not much to get out of. Isn't that what samsara is about,... looking out for oneself.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 04:01:05 PM »
We can talk about human rights issues till the cows come home and it will still not change anything. Why? Fundamentally, Tibetan society, the way it functions and the belief system, education and everything else is stuck in medieval times. So, if we remove the entire TGIE and replace them with new leaders, it will eventually revert back to the same system and the same human right abuses.

One way is to educate the Tibetan population at grassroots level starting with the children about political freedom and human rights. That will take a generation or two to see that it comes to fruition. Another way would be to divert the attention away from this ban like the Karmapa controversy. However, that worked for awhile but it looks like it is fizzling out real fast. One other way is to make Dorje Shugden really strong and accepted outside of Tibetan community and this will shame the TGIE into silence. What do you guys think?

I like what you wrote here, Big Uncle.

Whatever that can't be done at this time, because of Tibetan's tradition and culture would take generations to change - we can do other beneficial things on our side to raise more awareness about Dorje Shugden outside of the Tibetan community as you have suggested.

As long as we promote Dorje Shugden through various means and consolidate all our efforts - we will definitely start educating more people about this great Protector. Be it by online media, books, brochures, etc - we just continue doing our best to promote/advertise/market our great Protector. In addition, we uphold our practice and represent our Protector well by our own actions of body, speech and mind. If we can all do this and more, consistently - over time, the myth about this Supreme Protector being an evil spirit will be questioned and dismissed altogether.

Interesting is a word probably used for a long time during Apartheid, during Segregation in the US states. Before consciousness took root and peole began to take notice and say hangon a minute. What if the tables were switched they were me and I were them.

Today with the internet and how accessible it is to publish anything we believe in it won't take as long for those oppressed to be free. I guess patience is a virtue? Or is it the purfication of a collective karma.

Prayers going out to those oppressed may they be free real soon!

It is really ironic when we think about it. I mean, in the first place, Buddha started to seek an end to suffering not because he was in any way suffering, but because he realised that it could also happen to him. Whatever others were suffering from - death, sickness, old age, etc - would also happen to him. There was no escape as long as we are in samsara. Buddha saw and understood that they were him and he was them - we are all no different. But Buddha took it upon himself to find an answer, a way out of this samsara and its endless suffering.

What many people do not seem to want to do is to take on that extra step - Buddhist or not - whilst we all realise that we too are subject to the same suffering, we do not see it as our personal responsibility to do something about it. We would not go that extra mile, for our fellow sentient beings. After all, we are all trapped in samsara together.
Helena