Author Topic: A Serkym or Offering To Dorje Shugden and more  (Read 8481 times)

dharmabrother

• Email
A Serkym or Offering To Dorje Shugden and more
« on: June 27, 2011, 08:03:23 PM »
Hello all

Im feeling better, And I'll address other things in the form that i might have missed soon.

A question comes to mind

A serkym is a offering of the Dharmapala's or Deities likes.. What does Dorje Shugden like you to offer him while doing Sadhana?

And how do you find other Offerings for Other Dharmapalas or deities that they Like? Or do I need to talk to a Lama? Or can I find this on the Internet?

These might not be proper questions.. But I am curious .

Thank you all
DB

Zhalmed Pawo

Re: A Serkym or Offering To Dorje Shugden and more
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 11:53:03 AM »
The Serkyem-offering is an offering of Golden Drink, where the drink literally contains actual specks of gold.

In the Orient, the traditional liquid solution is tea, as that is, well, traditional Eastern drink. In the West, many practitioners do alternatively use other goldenish coloured drinks, like cider, apple juice, Pommac (N-European mixed fruit soda, Wiki-article ) etc. As to what drink to offer yourself, the general idea of giving offerings is, that a proper offering is something that the offerer him- or herself deems valuable, or tasty. Therefore, it is a good idea to use any goldenish coloured drink that you yourself happen to like - no need to stick to the Oriental fashion of tea, unless of course you like brown or black tea. (I believe green tea was not used in Serkyem. And to tell the truth, brown tea is a British invention, so black tea would be the traditional Oriental solution, since the tea was made black by roasting and smoking, being therefore a wrathful and potent solution. There is this tea called Dorje-ling, meaning Vajra-county or something, better known as the Darjee-ling as the British colonists wrote the name thattaway, and that would of course be a proper drink for the base of Serkyem.)

So basically, for Serkyem, the base solution is goldenish coloured drink, traditionally black tea, in which gold dust has ben added. However, most Westerners do not seem to include the gold specks, as many think it as a wasteful practice, and also because it is thought of as being difficult to get gold dust. Any numismatic shop nevertheless sells old gold coins, and all tool shops sell iron files, so getting gold dust is rather easy, actually.You do not need much gold per offering. Few coins should last a lifetime of offerings.

To offer Serkyem properly, you need to pour it until the cup overflows, as this has some symbolical implications. Therefore from the practical point of view, the Serkyem cup set needs to be two-tiered; the long necked upper cup that overflows, and the lower plate where the upper cup stands that prevents the overflowing drink from flooding the altar. There is of course no real tradition in having a two-tiered cup, but if you are the person who keeps the altar clean, I'm sure you'll agree in the sanity of having the lower plate as well. (I use personally a wine glass as the upper cup, and a dessert dish of a same design as the lower plate - the Tibetan traditional silverware cups hide the golden colour of the offering, so I prefer glassware.)

These same basics should apply with any deity you are making the offering. It is the liturgy that changes, and that is somehing that is good to get from a Guru or some senior Sangha-members, so as to get the tune of liturgy correct, etc, unless of course some Guru makes it all public. (wink wink)

Happy offerings,
ZP

Rihanna

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 04:33:55 PM »
Dear Dharma Brother,

One thing is for sure on what Dorje Shugden likes: he likes us to study and practice the Lamrim, practice 50 verses of Guru Devotion and hold our vows. He has said this constantly via a kutenla. Food for thought: would any mundane protector just ask for that? Now that says alot about who he is.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 06:39:30 PM »
Great answers - from the literal serkym to the offering of our practice. I guess if we can offer all of the above that would be great.

I do have a practical question re the serkym though. I have contradictory info from a friend so i'd appreciate a more definitive answer. Re the serkym offering, are we allowed to drink the offering after the sadhana? So far I have just disposed of my offering in the kitchen sink but a friend told me he offers cider and drinks it after! I'm personally appalled but he assured me it's okay. Any answers would be appreciated!
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Zach

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 10:39:25 PM »
Great answers - from the literal serkym to the offering of our practice. I guess if we can offer all of the above that would be great.

I do have a practical question re the serkym though. I have contradictory info from a friend so i'd appreciate a more definitive answer. Re the serkym offering, are we allowed to drink the offering after the sadhana? So far I have just disposed of my offering in the kitchen sink but a friend told me he offers cider and drinks it after! I'm personally appalled but he assured me it's okay. Any answers would be appreciated!

Generally What is offered on the alter stays on there, However at NKT centres we do the mid length sadhana of Dorje shugden everyday in which many offerings of food and cake are bought in known as the tsog offering and this is offered to the Dharmapala and his retinue, then some is given as an offering to the spirits and then we part take of the specially blessed food.
Remember Dorje shugden is an enlightened being he doesnt become offended if you make mistakes so long as offerings are done with the correct mind set he always partakes. :)

dsiluvu

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 12:15:56 AM »
Interesting answer on the actual gold dust in the Serkym. I have never heard that before.
Most of the time we offer alcohol - Beer!

Sometimes I also see monks/sangha offer milk or yoghurt instead. They would say for using peaceful means...
Sometime if aggressive activity is required, then beer, wine, alcohol....

Does what you offer in your Serkym really represent the mood of which you wish to request protector?

Actually I've been told by senior monks that it really does not matter what you offer, don't be so fixated on that but focus on sincerity... Protector is a Buddha so he accepts anything sincerely from the heart, so don't worry if you cannot get gold dust, or if it is black tea, gold tea, green tea, milk, beer or cider...all is cool and will be partaken unless your offerings were obtained from an impure source and the motivation not right?

Probably most important is... MOTIVATION. It is the basis of everything and anything we do in Dharma, in life :)

So what will you offer DS this morning?

triesa

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 01:02:45 AM »

Hi WB,

I have a friend who also asked me this question, as you know we can offer milk, alcohol besides black tea as Serkym offering. And this friend of mine likes wine very much, so she would offer wine and drink it afterwards.

I think it is a form of attachement, it is because she likes wine and wants to savour it, that is why she uses wine other than tea or milk....

We are supposed to offer up our attachments when we engage in sadhana practice, but in her case, she is reinforcing it.

Normally I would dispose the serkym offerings in the kitchen sink like what you do.