Author Topic: How is Your Merit Bank Balance?  (Read 4553 times)

icy

How is Your Merit Bank Balance?
« on: November 09, 2013, 09:58:41 PM »
Did you know that without merits we will not be able to understand or realise the Dharma, Lamrim, the teachings of the holy Buddha, let alone apply it? Do you have doubts, worries and suffer from depression and unresolved problems that never seem to end with obstacle after obstacle stopping you from Dharma practice? If the answer is YES, then this is a sign that your merit bank is pretty low! Basically merits are required to attain success both in our mundane as well as spiritual goals.

So how do we accumulate merits?

It is written in the Guhyasamaja root text that, “Those sentient beings who do not have the fortune actually to meet the Buddha need the holy objects of body, speech and mind as the field in which to accumulate merit. These holy objects are necessary.”

So what are some of the ways we can boost our merit-making bank and fatten the bank balance?

Well, one of the most powerful ways to accumulate an enormous amount of merits is by making offerings to Buddha images as the holy text recommends. One way to begin, is to have a Buddha image or statue to make offerings to. That is why you see Buddha statues in every dharma center or monastery.

Many people misunderstand this part, thinking and saying that Buddhists are idol worshippers but this is a huge misconception! Buddhists are not making offerings to the statue but rather to what the object represents, and in this case, the statue of a Buddha represents a fully enlightened being. Every single atom of the Buddha’s form and body is the direct result of many aeons of practice and realisations. And making offerings to an enlightened being’s form and image creates the causes for one to also achieve the same results… to become an enlightened Buddha.

Having a Buddha statue does not merely help you collect merits; others who see your Buddha statue receive the seeds of enlightenment which are planted in their mind streams. As these seeds open and these people begin to practice the Dharma, you also partake of the good energy being created. This is why so many countries around the world build towering statues of the holy Buddha and stupas, turning each location into a power pligrimage site! It is a practice that is very popular and widespread across all Buddhist traditions around the world as it blesses the surrounding environment. It’s well known that having huge Buddha statues, like the 354-foot Guan Yin statue in China’s Hainan Island, also help to calm the land and protect the people from calamities

It is said that the amount of atoms there are in a Buddha statue is equivalent to the amount of merits one will accumulate from a single offering of water, candle, mantra, prostrations… So imagine the amount of precious merit you can accumulate by making offerings to a 3-ft Buddha of Wisdom in wrathful form – Dorje Shugden, who by great compassion comes in a form that is easy for us to make a connection with. Dorje Shugden is precisely the Buddha we need in this age.

Dorje Shugden as we all know is an emanation of Manjushri. (Link to: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/category/introduction/incarnation-lineage/) They have the same enlightened mind stream; so by having Dorje Shugden and making offerings to Dorje Shugden, not only will one be protected from inner and outer obstacles but also accumulate immeasurable merits to develop the wisdom mind of Manjushri. Double bonus merit-making points for your bank! The wisdom that one developes by propitiating Manjushri in all its forms is a critical key to enlightenment.

In other words having a statue of Dorje Shugden equates to having the Wisdom Buddha Manjushri on your altar. And making offerings to Manjushri Dorje Shugden is, without a doubt, creating the causes for enlightenment. So what are you waiting for? Time to fatten up that merit bank of yours… visit DorjeShugden.com’s eShop!

What an inconceivable amount of merits one would have for having these statues in our home or office. Surely one cannot refute its excellent quality of craftsmanship and the superb accuracy of its iconography. All the details of the statue have been supervised by a highly qualified lama of high standing and knowledge. Every detail of the statue has not escaped the utmost experienced and trained eye of the expert Lama.

It is incredibly meritorious to be able to invite this magnificent and rare statue.

psylotripitaka

Re: How is Your Merit Bank Balance?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 02:32:52 AM »
When we see images of holy beings, if we have taken refuge vows we have a commitment to regard every image as a living Buddha. Through this view we connect to the living Buddha that is actually right there in front of you. For you doubters out there, please provide a perfect logical reason establishing the non-existence of a living Buddha in that place. Even someone with the ability of astral projection can be present in that place watching you make offerings, so it obviously follows that someone who perfected their subtle body could be present wherever an image (vessel of transmission) appears!

The most powerful meritorious energy is generated, not by just putting offerings in from of an image we conceive to be ordinary, not by simply regarding the image as a living Buddha, but by deciding and realizing that Buddha and our Guru are the same person. Therefore, the greatest merit comes from making offerings to the Guru who is regarded as a Buddha. Please don't forget this, and be mindful whenever and wherever you perceive images that your GuruBuddha is present.

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 12:31:38 AM »
I have always heard it is wisdom to think we always need more merit; meditating on compassion, offering mandalas, making offerings to Dorje Shugden and other Buddhas, helping others, all increase merits, which its a good idea to dedicate throughout the day.
   Of course, when things are happening, it can often be the results of karma from a past life, so if we are having difficulties, it's okay to do some Vajrasattva or other karma clearing practice too.  And just because we are having a problem doesn't mean we are currently non-virtuous, but we could have been up to all kinds of things in the past, so the 35 confession Buddhas are also helpful.
   If I do notice a particular karma ripens with respect to myself, I tend to check for the tendency similar to the cause (like am I still sowing seeds that lead to this sort of thing happening again.... because I could have this tendency, since I have this thing ripening).  Sometimes, though, maybe it's from a long time ago, and maybe I don't seem to be doing anything that has the same tendency.  So purifying and gaining merits is helpful, so that eventually we will have the ability to directly realize the nature of Buddha's mind. 

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 06:32:36 PM »
It is really important for us to collect merits all the time. Not only through making offerings, but also through doing our sadhanas, keeping our promises to our gurus, keeping our vows, doing dharma work, etc.

It is indeed important as we may not meet the Dharma in every lifetime. At the same time, we would not know if we would have the merits to have a good rebirth in the future or not. We are only able to control what is going to happen now. Hence, we should make use of every opportunity that we have in this life to do things that would help us generate merit.

gbds3jewels

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 05:21:23 PM »
I often hear Buddhists saying "oh it's karma" whenever something goes wrong. Since I became buddhist I started to hear "oh no merit". I don't know.....but sounds to me like same excuses, different use of words. It's too easy to brush off something and just say no merit.

Someone doesn't transform after years of dharma - oh no merit. Someone doesn't have a chance to know Buddhism - oh no merit. Someone listened to dharma but doesn't understand - oh no merit. Seriously?!

I understand and do believe we have no merit to achieve certain level in the spiritual path to enlightenment and need to collect merit to propel forward. But a lot of Buddhists I met have really been using the merit as the reason to all their shortcomings. Doesn't sound convincing to me.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 07:49:53 PM »
The inner enemies use many things as an excuse to keep us lazy, including our lack of merit, our heavy burden of negative karma, a lack of apparent blessings, insights or fruit from what labors of Dharma we have applied.

This is a bad habit.

It is not always used in such a way though and that is where the distinction lies, and it is one we each need to make in our own consciousness if we are to kill our laziness and transform our contaminated aggregates.

It is wisdom that understands the relationship between mind and its objects; that intention is the creative component of consciousness and feeling is the experiential component; that everything appearing to mind is produced within our own consciousness; that lack of merit prevents the manifestation of good things. Karma is the universal law of cause and effect applied to the person and explains every moment of consciousness and what appears within it. Understanding this, the practitioner uses difficulty and the inspiring results that are to come to inspire us to apply great effort.

Therefore, the precise distinction is this: if our expression regarding merit comes from a fierce determination to gain liberation and enlightenment, that is correct. If we are using it as an excuse for discouragement, laziness or some non-virtue, need I say more.

Generally and practically speaking though, we think too much. When we hear people say we need merit, we should delight in the encouragement and vigorously seek such causes of a Buddhas form body.

How lucky I am to know these things! Thank you Masters, thank you!