Author Topic: New Tibet boss makes no mention of Dalai Lama  (Read 8519 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
New Tibet boss makes no mention of Dalai Lama
« on: August 26, 2011, 10:28:55 AM »
From this article below, the new leader of Tibet seems to be less of a hardliner than his predecessor. With Lobsang Sangay as the new head of the CTA (and even a new name for the TGIE!!), now the new leader of Tibet seems to be changing tack. On the whole, there seems to be a lot of changes happening which perhaps portent changes in other areas... perhaps the changing of the Guardians is coming soon?

New Tibet boss makes no mention of Dalai Lama
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/08/25/general-as-china-tibet_8643709.html

Associated Press, 08.25.11, 10:45 PM EDT 

BEIJING -- China's new Communist Party boss in Tibet has passed on the chance to bash the Dalai Lama in his first public remarks.

State media's account of the speech given by Chen Guoquan following the announcement of his appointment Thursday shows him instead focussing on economic and social development and the maintenance of stability and good relations between ethnic groups.

Chen's predecessor, Zhang Qingli, made verbal attacks on the region's exiled Buddhist leader a hallmark of his nearly six years in power. In his outgoing remarks, Zhang said he would never forget the "resolute struggle with the Dalai clique." During his term, Tibet saw its worst ethnic violence in decades.

Overseas Tibet groups say Chen's appointment may signal a desire by Beijing to change the tone.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

dsiluvu

Re: New Tibet boss makes no mention of Dalai Lama
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 09:28:55 AM »
From this article below, the new leader of Tibet seems to be less of a hardliner than his predecessor. With Lobsang Sangay as the new head of the CTA (and even a new name for the TGIE!!), now the new leader of Tibet seems to be changing tack. On the whole, there seems to be a lot of changes happening which perhaps portent changes in other areas... perhaps the changing of the Guardians is coming soon?

Overseas Tibet groups say Chen's appointment may signal a desire by Beijing to change the tone.

That would certainly be a Breath of Fresh Air!!!!

triesa

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:58:16 PM »
This certainly is good news from China side.

Each leader will bring forth his style and his objectives. And Chen's appointment seems to bring some fresh air in the political scene but I hope his stance will remain firm and steady during his time.

beggar

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 10:57:25 AM »
It would be very good if Lobsang Sangye does step away from making references to spiritual affairs. As the secular head of the Tibetan government (not CTA), this would be the most democratic and progressive way forward. I don't think there are any other governments in the world who mix up religion and state as strongly as the Tibetans. While it is an important part of their culture, it is clearly not helping them to go forward or rise in the political world scene. Which other government or leader in the world talks about advice from a spirit and spends so much time, effort and resources of the government running religious witchhunt campaigns on their own people? They even have "advice" about deities on their government website and archaic "wanted" lists for people who do these practices. It sounds like the Spanish inquisition! Imagine if other governments in the world started putting up advice about Christian Saints or Taoist gods on their government website - it would be the laughing stock of the UN!

So, it is heartening to see lobsang sangye making this conscious effort to remove himself from these old traditions and work towards a more progressive state. I wish him luck! i'm sure the Tibetans would also be happy to see progression and change!

kurava

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 03:42:35 AM »
Well, it''s certainly a breath of fresh air -  the politicians focus on secular affairs ; but the question is will DL focus only on spiritual matters and not meddle spirituality with politics ?

Big Uncle

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 05:06:12 AM »
This is certainly good news. I think China is taking a different stance because the Dalai Lama has stepped down and they don't see him as a direct enemy anymore. Instead of making an enemy of themselves all the time by being hardline, the Chinese government is trying to win the hearts and minds of the people now. With the Dalai Lama out of the political picture, they have changed their stance and would like a more peaceful Tibet. Such a direction, would make it even harder for Tibetan leaders of CTA to even talk about independence.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 11:50:15 PM »
I don't think there are any other governments in the world who mix up religion and state as strongly as the Tibetans.

I disagree... check out the Bhutanese. Buddhist but also moderate and progressive. And from an outsiders POV (sorry but I havent studied Bhutanese culture beyond the usual BBC/Channel 4 provisions) their cultures pretty close to the Tibetans. So from what I gather, the Tibetans MAKE an issue out of mixing religion and state when it doesnt have to be.

Consider this yeah - the Bhutanese were focused on a Gross National Happiness. They want their people to be happy. How much more Buddhist can you get than that? The spiritual side of the TGIE also want to make their people happy. The Bhutanese have their politics just like the Tibetans, but things seem to be going pretty well for them.

So what went wrong for the Tibetans? How come the Bhutanese have less trouble mixing religion and state? The fact the Tibetans lost their country? But you can be happy anywhere, you dont need a country to do that! (unless youre daft enough to WANT to REMAIN unhappy until you regain your land hahaha eejit)

So perhaps what went wrong for the Tibetans was that they had a govt that was NOT really religious - i.e. religious in name, but not in action. The ministers in power were not really there to help make their people happy, otherwise theyd have spent far more on their people's secular development and much less on muddying a religion-politics mix that would otherwise work quite well.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 11:51:28 PM »
Is there any official position from the Chinese about Dorje Shugden?
There are quite a few lamas who are known practitioners of Dorje Shugden like the great Gangchen Rinpoche who works within China. So does that mean China unofficially does not mind Dorje Shugden practise, as if the Chinese do not like a certain sect or practise as shown with the Falun Gong the Chinese will destroy the sect and raze the practise and people behind it to the ground.  

kris

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 05:18:05 PM »
I never liked the Tibetan issues. The China government forced the Lamas out from Tibet and so many people suffered from it.

Now that the China government is "changing tune", I am really happy and hope all things ends up well :)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 05:34:54 PM »
Is there any official position from the Chinese about Dorje Shugden?
There are quite a few lamas who are known practitioners of Dorje Shugden like the great Gangchen Rinpoche who works within China. So does that mean China unofficially does not mind Dorje Shugden practise, as if the Chinese do not like a certain sect or practise as shown with the Falun Gong the Chinese will destroy the sect and raze the practise and people behind it to the ground.  

Dear Dharmaspace,

I recently read this article which mentions the support China gives Dorje Shugden practitioners http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=1366.0. Hope that gives you a perspective.. of course, as with all reported media, we don't know how accurate it is but it's as good as any for now.

Cheers!
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being