Author Topic: Brad Pitt is causing a stir in China Sina Weibo.  (Read 8409 times)

icy

Brad Pitt is causing a stir in China Sina Weibo.
« on: January 07, 2013, 04:53:18 PM »
Brad Pitt is causing a stir in China Sina Weibo.  Can Dorje Shugden do the same?

BEIJING–At noon on Monday, Brad Pitt joined China’s massive microblogging service Sina Weibo and issued a short missive as open to interpretation as his Chanel No. 5 ads.
“It is the truth. Yup, I’m coming…” Pitt posted in his verified account.

The words sent his Chinese fans into a tizzy. Within hours, his profile gained over 101,000 followers, over 30,000 retweets and more than 13,000 comments on the service that has 400 million registered users.
With China’s rapidly growing movie market, a Hollywood celebrity popping up in Beijing or Shanghai has become a common sight. Keanu Reeves was seen wandering the old hutong alleyways of Beijing last year.  Months earlier, Gwyneth Paltrow jumped onstage and started singing at a Beijing nightclub.  Even Louis C.K. showed up to do his routine for packed crowd at a Peking Opera theater back in June.
But Pitt has never been seen in China.  Pitt has been effectively barred from entering the country since he starred in the 1997 film “Seven Years in Tibet,” where he portrayed the young Dalai Lama’s Austrian tutor. At the time the Chinese Foreign Ministry took issue with the film’s sympathetic portrayal of the now exiled 14th Dalai Lama and the negative depictions of Chinese soldiers in Tibet.
The “Banned From China” distinction is one Pitt has shared with the likes of Richard Gere, Martin Scorsese and Harrison Ford, all big Dalai Lama supporters.

One excited user named “chrinore” wrote back in English to Pitt’s post, “Oh my god! It is really a big surprise. and welcome!! hope u use (Weibo) frequently.”
It’s not yet known whether Pitt is actually coming to China, but there is speculation that if he does it might have to do with the fact that Pitt is a brand ambassador for the French fashion house Chanel.
The tech blog TechinAsia.com points out that “lots of celebrities from around the globe have joined Sina Weibo – mostly for social marketing purposes.”
The fact is not lost on some Weibo users like “SuperBusyEveryday” who sarcastically wrote: “I see Brad Pitt’s coming to China to do business…”
China, after all, is the fastest growing luxury market in the world.
It is worth noting that Pitt’s “Seven Years in Tibet” director Jean-Jacques Annaud, who was previously banned from China as well, was welcomed last year to chair the jury at the Shanghai International Film Festival.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: Brad Pitt is causing a stir in China Sina Weibo.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 06:22:41 PM »
It just goes to show that whoever is banned can become unbanned. After all, everything is impermanent. The Chinese government has made their point with the ban on Brad Pitt. It was pointedly to tell any A-lister that if they wanted to take on China, China was happy to flex it’s (very powerful) muscles, so antagonize the tiger and support the opposition at your own peril. I don’t see Brad Pitt as a strong Dalai Lama supporter like Richard Gere though, so perhaps HIS ban will be lifted soon. Let’s hope the Dorje Shugden ban will be lifted soon too!
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 11:36:24 AM »
Well well well. The Chinese have this saying, money can even make a ghost push the boat, which means money can make incredible things happen. Chanel is a huge and rich company that has hired Brad Pitt to be the spokesperson of their flagship product: Chanel No5, but the campaign actually failed miserably in western countries as many people dismissed him as someone who is just mumbling in front of the camera. As Chinese people are very open to money, as long as there is enough money they wont mind bending over and accommodating the people who pay them. This also means one thing: if the CTA ever wants to talk with China, they should really try to develop themselves and save up money to bribe or offer China, or buy their approval and get into their good books. And of course, stop their efforts on useless things like the Dorje Shugden ban which has taken a lot of their resources to date with all the printings and whatnot.

Positive Change

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 07:10:36 AM »
Nothing is permanent and everything is impermanent... When it serves China, even a long withstanding "ban" can be lifted. Here is a recent Daily Telegraph article on the 7th Jan:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/9785566/Brad-Pitt-joins-Sina-Weibo-with-cryptic-tweet.html

The actor's verified Sina Weibo account sent the message on Monday: "It is the truth. Yup, I'm coming."
It was forwarded more than 47,000 times and received more than 22,000 comments, with many expressing surprise. Pitt quickly gathered more than 140,000 followers.

The message attracted particular interested because the IMDb.com film website, as well as other film sites, claims Pitt has actually been banned from China, thanks to his role in the 1997 film "Seven Years in Tibet".
The government was upset about the film's portrayal of harsh Chinese rule in Tibet.

In 1997, the state-run China Daily wrote that Hollywood could never be forgiven for a number of films focusing on China, specifically citing "Seven Years in Tibet", as well as Richard Gere's "Red Corner" and Martin Scorsese's "Kundun."

His later film "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" with Angelina Jolie was popular in China.
A number of foreign stars have managed to rack up substantial followings on Weibo, among them Tom Cruise, who signed up in February 2011.

Last month The Daily Telegraph reported that China's online censors appeared to relax their grip on Weibo with millions of users able to search for previously blocked information about Communist Party leaders, with some even allowed to post criticism.

Weibo has around 200 million users.

Video update:
http://video.mashable.com/services/player/bcpid1265504713001?bckey=AQ~~,AAABBzUwv1E~,xP-xFHVUstiMFlNYfvF4G9yFnNaqCw_9&bctid=2080089914001

Latest news update:
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/01/brad-pitt-joins-sina-weibo/

World-traveling man of intrigue Brad Pitt has joined China’s version of Twitter — Sina Weibo — and in his first message hinted that he could be making a visit to the country, which he had reportedly been banned from visiting. Or maybe not.

In a mysterious message posted to Pitt’s account the actor simply stated: “It is the truth. Yup, I’m coming.” The tweet of sorts got thousands of comments, the AP reports, and has raised speculation that the actor could be headed to the People’s Republic. The Inglourious Basterds star was reportedly banned from entering following his appearance in 1997?s Seven Years in Tibet, which offered a harsh portrayal of Chinese rule. However, a few hours after it was posted, the message reportedly was deleted.

Whether the ersatz tweet was an accident, something that was posted prematurely, or simply removed because it was being misconstrued, the actor’s cryptic appearance on the microblogging service brings up some interesting issues about the intersection of tech and culture in China. Because even if he’s not on his way to the Communist country — which would not be entirely impossible since, as Entertainment Weekly notes, the country lifted the ban on Seven Years director Jean-Jacques Annaud — his presence on the site is still a big get for Weibo and a move that shows the importance of both American celebrities and social networking in China.

Weibo, which according to parent company Sina Corporation has some 400 million registered accounts, has erupted in the world’s most populous nation, where actual Twitter is blocked by Chinese censors. The Chinese microblog service is also subject to censors as well; at the government’s behest some 1,000 Sina employees reportedly go through messages on Weibo and remove content considered offensive. But there are indications that more freedom is coming to the social network, like the fact that users now seem to be able to search for Chinese officials like President Hu Jintao and even write criticism despite the Great Firewall.

Pitt isn’t the only star to have a presence on Weibo. His Interview with the Vampire co-star Tom Cruise and British actress Emma Watson are also on the service, which launched in 2009 and boasts functionality similar to a Twitter/Facebook hybrid – allowing users to not only post messages but also embedded videos and images. And as American films gain in popularity in China — Pitt’s Mr. and Mrs. Smith brought in $7.5 million at the Chinese box office — it only seems logical that more and more celebrities will use the service to reach their international fanbase.

But for Pitt, who along with his partner Angelina Jolie is known for humanitarian efforts, one can’t help but wonder if any messages he has for China could go beyond movie promotion — whether he delivers them online or in the flesh.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 03:15:46 PM »
The fact is not lost on some Weibo users like “SuperBusyEveryday” who sarcastically wrote: “I see Brad Pitt’s coming to China to do business…”

Looks like ingratitude runs the world over. Im not a fan of Mr Pitt myself but I can see why he would go there since all of the money is in China (although all of the money went TO China, since they started out with nearly nothing after the Cultural Revolution).

The Tibetan government are stupid. They have been insisting for the last 50 years for a free Tibet and where has it got them? Nowhere. They are poor, their 6 million are rotting away in exile, and their people are not world class - youll never hear of a Tibetan scholar, Tibetan scientist, Tibetan celebrity, Tibetan entrepreneur, Tibetan singer, Tibetan anything.

In fact, by being against China, the Tibetan government are doing their population a great disservice by limiting their populations opportunity to advance themselves and improve their standards of living. I think the CTA should just STFU, make friends with China and get themselves in there so their Tibetan lamas (which is really the only thing of value to them) can reach out to Chinas 1.2 billion people.

Am I being harsh? Am I being unsympathetic? You know what? Tough. Being a pansy and doing the softly-softly approach has got the CTA nowhere in the last 50 years. I think its time for them to suck it up, accept the fact theyve lost Tibet forever and get on with making their peoples lives better.

kris

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »
There is this thing about China which I totally can't understand, that they are so worry about people who follows HH Dalai Lama. I was told that there is a lady who received a scholarship to do her PhD in China, and just because the scholarship was given by the university whom the honourable principal is HH Dalai Lama, she was chased out from university.

Such is the cowardness of China.

On the other hand, because China is so "scared" of HH Dalai Lama and purposely wants to upset HH Dalai Lama, China has been helping to spread Dorje Shugden. This "side effort" is very cool :)

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 05:19:05 AM »
There is this thing about China which I totally can't understand, that they are so worry about people who follows HH Dalai Lama. I was told that there is a lady who received a scholarship to do her PhD in China, and just because the scholarship was given by the university whom the honourable principal is HH Dalai Lama, she was chased out from university.

Such is the cowardness of China.

On the other hand, because China is so "scared" of HH Dalai Lama and purposely wants to upset HH Dalai Lama, China has been helping to spread Dorje Shugden. This "side effort" is very cool :)

China is basically afraid of things they are unable to control, but what they fear more than that are elements and things that would rip the country apart and cause discord and problems that are beyond their control. It would be China's nightmare if they would have a civil war amongst the many provinces that are under them. Then the China that we know will be torn apart into nothing, so in a way, their fear is justified as they do not want any form of crack in their current system. Therefore, the idea of a free Tibet is their very definition of a living nightmare. As so many people have mentioned before, the CTA should play into China's hands by being nice with them instead of projecting even more hatred against them which does not achieve anything at all. Let's hope that with their new president, China would be more open than they were in the past.

icy

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 10:54:27 AM »
Brad Pitt joins Sina Weibo with cryptic tweet.  Brad Pitt has joined Weibo, China's version of Twitter, with his mysterious first tweet hinting at a trip to the country drawing thousands of comments.  By the way Weibo has over 20 million users, the effect is fast and powerful.

The actor's verified Sina Weibo account sent the message on Monday: "It is the truth. Yup, I'm coming."
It was forwarded more than 47,000 times and received more than 22,000 comments, with many expressing surprise. Pitt quickly gathered more than 140,000 followers.

This really excites me as this can be a method to use for spreading Lord Dorje Shudgen in China.  Chinese are looking for ways and means through 'feng shui' to gain wealth and prosperity.  Why not introduce Lord Gyenze to the Chinese through Weibo.  We might strike 140,000 new Shudenpas.

Q

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 04:04:42 PM »
This is interesting. Even Brad Pitt wants to tap into China... looks like Hollywood stars are paying a close attention to China's growing economy and wants to be a part of it too lol.

I like what some people has already mentioned above. Ban is something very impermanent, just as shown in this case that Brad Pitt, whom was once banned by the Chinese government is now making his way into China. I'd definitely like to see that with the DS ban, becoming silenced even if it's not officially lifted.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 06:56:29 AM »
This is interesting. Even Brad Pitt wants to tap into China... looks like Hollywood stars are paying a close attention to China's growing economy and wants to be a part of it too lol.

I like what some people has already mentioned above. Ban is something very impermanent, just as shown in this case that Brad Pitt, whom was once banned by the Chinese government is now making his way into China. I'd definitely like to see that with the DS ban, becoming silenced even if it's not officially lifted.

It's either something impermanent or that Chanel has been using a lot of money to let China get brad pitt through China. After all, the Chinese are the biggest consumers of luxury goods in the world at this moment and many luxury brands are focusing on China. Perhaps, brad pitt's appearance in China is actually only to promote Chanel's iconic perfume and there is nothing more than that there? If you have not forgotten yet, brad pitt is the spokesperson for Chanel No5 and although the campaign with brad pitt failed in other countries, Chanel seems to be trying that with China for a change. From another angle, if China can allow someone that they ban to have an online presence, would it also mean that they would one day allow the Dalai Lama to return?

Big Uncle

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 11:45:51 AM »
Oh dear, this thread is up again. I personally don't think that it is a big deal that Brad Pitt is going to China at all. What would create a stir would be if Brad Pitt turned out to be a Buddhist like Richard Gere and that he is also a Dorje Shugden practitioner. The second part would be great and that would make heads turn. A star going to China to further his fame and fortune is really not anything to shout about for most people especially people in Dharma. However, if Brad Pitt was a Dorje Shugden practitioner and through his tour of China, perhaps he pays respect to a Dorje Shugden Lama. Now, that would be fantastic. Otherwise, its really quite boring and really doesn't concern us.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 04:10:22 PM »
Oh dear, this thread is up again. I personally don't think that it is a big deal that Brad Pitt is going to China at all. What would create a stir would be if Brad Pitt turned out to be a Buddhist like Richard Gere and that he is also a Dorje Shugden practitioner. The second part would be great and that would make heads turn. A star going to China to further his fame and fortune is really not anything to shout about for most people especially people in Dharma. However, if Brad Pitt was a Dorje Shugden practitioner and through his tour of China, perhaps he pays respect to a Dorje Shugden Lama. Now, that would be fantastic. Otherwise, its really quite boring and really doesn't concern us.

I think that the thread starter wanted to highlight the fact that China has changed their standpoint of the ban against Brad Pitt from China after 7 years in Tibet movie, but commercial matters and matters that concern of the country's stability are 2 different things. If HHDL were to reassume his position in Tibet now, what will happen to china? And the rest of the provinces and ethnic groups that make up China as we know today? The Tibet cause is a very selfish one indeed in more ways than one because it means that they are taking back what is theirs without considering how it may harm others.