Author Topic: Tibet exiles see rise of American-style politician!  (Read 7369 times)

Positive Change

Tibet exiles see rise of American-style politician!
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:06:08 PM »
I found the news article interesting because as Prime Minister Lobsang Sangay's career progresses, it is evident the path he is on and how the secular and spiritual is surely segregated. This divide I feel will increase in time and very soon the spiritual aspect of the Tibetan "elected leader" will diminish, at least in the forefront.

His polished good looks and strong political stance does echo certain American politicians... But that in itself may not be too bad given the fact that other methods have clearly failed. Perhaps Tibetans do need this new face in politics and just move on with the times already. This is not to say spirituality takes a back seat, it is just in a different seat altogether and perhaps even a completely different vehicle! ;)

NEWS ARTICLE:

Originally published: March 15, 2012 2:57 AM
Updated: March 15, 2012 9:26 AM
By The Associated Press  TIM SULLIVAN (Associated Press)

DHARMSALA, India - (AP)

Lobsang Sangay is the prime minister of a country that doesn't exist. His government fills a moldy cluster of yellow brick buildings clinging to an Indian hillside. His budget depends on donor countries and wealthy supporters.

But with his well-tailored suits and carefully practiced soundbites, Sangay is something new in this tattered hill town, home to Tibet's government-in-exile.

He is an openly ambitious politician in a culture that traditionally frowns on self-promotion. He is comfortable in front of TV cameras, charismatic and, his critics say, willing to sow divisiveness to win votes. In a town where power has long rested with elderly Buddhist monks and exile bureaucrats who fled Chinese-ruled Tibet, he spent 16 years polishing his resume at Harvard.

And unlike his predecessor, he is not venerated as a god-king.

Sangay, 43, is the first prime minister since the Dalai Lama stepped down as head of the exile government last year.

The Dalai Lama's "popularity, charisma, leadership -- it cannot be replicated," Sangay said.

Sangay came to power in what might be the most critical moment for Tibet in a generation: A wave of Tibetans have burned themselves alive to protest Chinese rule, Beijing is undergoing a leadership transition and the 76-year-old Dalai Lama is speaking openly of his eventual death.

"Tibet is in crisis," said Youdong Aukatsang, a New Delhi-based member of the exile parliament. "But this is also a historic moment for us, with His Holiness deciding to give up his political position. Lobsang Sangay symbolizes this turning point."

Exile politics, long a genteel arena that plodded along in the Dalai Lama's shadow, has never seen anything like Sangay.

"Tibetans normally want their leaders to be dignified and distant. Lobsang Sangay went to the people," said Tsering Shakya, a scholar of modern Tibet at the University of British Columbia.

Sangay's two rivals were older men who had spent decades in the exile government. Their campaigns were what people expected: a few speeches, occasional interviews, reaching out to friends of friends.

Sangay, though, launched a campaign blitz.

He embarked on a whirlwind tour of Tibetan exile communities, shaking hands and giving speeches from India to Minnesota. His supporters created websites to back his campaign. Mild criticisms were met with volleys of online denials. He relentlessly touted his hardscrabble childhood, the son of a struggling farmer and trader in the Indian hills.

Despite spending nearly his entire adult life at Harvard, first as a law student and then as a research fellow, he became a master of Clintonian I-feel-your-pain rhetoric, selling himself as a man of the people.

"I understand and can empathize with the average Tibetans," he told the online Tibetan Political Review, speaking of his childhood in a refugee settlement. "I know what it feels like to go through another season of poor harvest."

At times, it was an uncanny echo of American politics: A handsome man with well-combed hair, a small-town stump speech and outsized ambitions.

It was also a shock to the Tibetan establishment.

"For some people this was distasteful," said Shakya. "But this is something you learn in America: If you want something, you go and get it."

Sangay got it, winning more votes than his two rivals combined. While only about one-third of the global exile community's 150,000 people voted (6 million more Tibetans live in China, though it was extremely difficult for them to cast ballots), his election was seen as a turn against an older generation of Tibetan officials.

His critics, though, say his victory was partially rooted in the seamier side of American political culture. Sangay's focus on his working-class roots was seen by some in the community as a populist attack message, designed to divide Tibetans along ancient class lines.

Certainly, it set Sangay apart from his main rival, Tenzin Tethong, a member of an old aristocratic family.
While the exiled nobility lost much of its power long ago, many poorer exiles believe they still wield immense influence in Dharmsala.

"A few people belonging to high-status families control everything," said Yangdon Tsekyi, 25, who works in a Dharmsala coffee shop, a comment echoed by many Sangay voters. "If you have the right family name, you can be successful here ... I'm happy Lobsang Sangay is from a normal family."

Sangay insists he wasn't trying to be divisive, and points out that his wife comes from an aristocratic family. His supporters say his campaign simply reflected modern politics.

"Whether you call it divisive, or whatever, doesn't matter. I think he wanted to win the election and wanted to connect with the masses," said Aukatsang, the parliament member.

Six months after his swearing-in, Sangay has become skilled in political banality, avoiding sensitive topics during an hourlong interview by piling platitudes one upon the other. If pressed, he would sidestep by quoting the Dalai Lama.

He is eloquent, though, when the topic turns to China, battering Beijing's rule with passion and knowledge.
"What we fear is unfolding," he said of Beijing's efforts to seal off Tibetan regions amid the continuing wave of self-immolations: "Tragedy."

Years of crackdowns, he argues, have given Tibetans no other way to vent their frustration.

"You can't have hunger strikes, you can't have demonstrations, you can't write petitions ... Given such repressive policies and actions, Tibetans are pushed to the brink of desperation."

This is the real power of the exile government. Along with overseeing refugee schools and finding jobs for young people, the Dharmsala government is a pulpit to voice the Tibetan quest for autonomy.

Earlier exile leaders were practically invisible, eclipsed by the Dalai Lama's fame. Giving up his political role was supposed to make it easier for Beijing to negotiate with the Dalai Lama as a religious leader, not the head of a government China reviles as illegitimate. He also fears a leadership vacuum after he dies, when the Chinese government and senior Tibetan lamas will almost certainly name rival reincarnated successors.
But Sangay's political instincts, and the new prominence of the prime minister role, have helped make him a global darling. The international media cover his speeches, and foreign governments bestow honors on him.
He even gets attacked by Beijing: "That government-in-exile of his, no matter who leads (it), it's all just a separatist political clique that betrays the motherland," a senior Chinese official for Tibet said after Sangay offered to negotiate with China.

China accuses the Dalai Lama of seeking independence, though he and Sangay both insist they only want greater autonomy for the region.

Sangay says much of his job now is finding a middle ground between a deeply conservative culture and the modern world.

"In many ways I'm trying to balance between continuity and change," Sangay said, when asked if he ever fears he has become too Westernized. "I have to be very much Tibetan but very much modern as well."
He is also simply getting accustomed to the new job.

"I am an ordinary guy who was given this extraordinary responsibility," he said.

And as with an experienced American politician, it was impossible to know if the modesty was heartfelt -- or utterly insincere.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
Re: Tibet exiles see rise of American-style politician!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 04:31:06 PM »
This post is important in that it gives us some insight into how Dr Lobsang Sangay (DLS) thinks and operates.  What I gather here is that DLS has clearly identified that Tibetans all over feel a need for a real change, not just a token change of a leader. I guess this springs from a deep sense amongst the Tibetans that the ex-administation team did not accomplish the kind of results expected of them i.e. progress in engaging with the Chinese Government on the liberation of Tibet.

If there is similarity between DLS and certain American politicians, it is his willingness to go to the grassroots and address the needs of the commoner, and make the ordinary people his platform of power. What is important here is not so much DLS's strategy but the fact that his strategy reflects the shift in the Tibetan people who appears to be more ready than before to engage in political issues instead of leaving it to the leadership (in this case, previously to HHDL).

Before the separation of Church and State, the HHDL was both the secular as well as the spiritual leader. In that situation all aspects of a Tibetan's life was left to HHDL's guidance and because the HHDL is first and foremost identified as a monk, it follows that all aspects of ordinary Tibetan's life were in tow behind spiritual issues. It was more difficult to challenge the political system then as it would also infer that you would be challenging the spiritual leadership. There were one.

With the separation of powers, DLS invites the ordinary Tibetan to take up ownership of secular issues which have impacts on the citizen's lives. DLS must deliver changes and hopefully one of the first few results he will deliver is the lifting of the Shugden ban. To me, the acid test for DLS is the Shugden ban as it would signify to his supporters that he is not afraid to differ from HHDL's opinion.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 01:09:29 AM »
I echo what Vajratruth says re the acid test. If Dr Lobsang Sangay wishes to be taken seriously, one of the first things he should do is to correct the injustices to Dorje Shugden practitioners.

This would show that aside from not being afraid to differ from HH the Dalai Lama, he believes in equality for all Tibetans, regardless of individual spiritual beliefs. And that this equality would be enshrined in Tibetan ‘law’ as far as can be imposed in Tibetan refugee camps. After all, isn’t equality the holiest of holies in America, where Dr. Lobsang Sangay was trained and lived most of his adult life; in law, to boot?

From this article, Tibetans voted against tradition, going for an ordinary person instead of the other more experienced and aristocratic candidates. I hope Tibetans are moving into the 21st century and their mentality also – and that they realise that nobody should be discriminated on the basis of their religious belief. And that they should lobby for that change in the CTA. How can Tibet be united if they are torn in two by those who practice Dorje Shugden and those who don’t?
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Tenzin Gyatso

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 07:07:44 AM »
Dr Sangye is a great man. He will not say anything about Shugden because his teacher is HHDL. That is what I foresee.

;)

Galen

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 03:04:21 PM »
From the article, we can see that Dr. Lobsang Sangey is an eloquent man who gets in touch with his people, even before he was elected as Prime Minister and after. I think the Tibetans and the world would like to see a change in the political scene as all this while it is dominated by the Dalai Lama. Of course the world would cheer if he would speak up on the Dorje Shugden ban. But it seems that he is not going to do so yet as heard in his speech on Uprising day. Hopefully we will see that justice will be done for DS practitioners where they can freely go to schools and buy the groceries in town.

Dr. Lobsang Sangey. can you hear the plight of the Tibetans? While you criticise China on their biased policies against the Tibetans, please also look into your own people with your biased policies, set by the previous government headed by the Dalai Lama.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 03:41:55 PM »
The posts on FB have been talking about how they feel about the man, and about this piece. Thought Id leave my pennys worth of thoughts here...

I get a good feeling from him too. He doesnt come off as slick as our politicians, maybe a bit more grounded but I want to hear him speak about Dorje Shugden. Or maybe not speak about Dorje Shugden actually, since hes a secular leader and doesnt have any religious authority. Perhaps silence is golden with this man and if he stays in power long, and stays silent about Dorje Shugden, maybe people will forget about the ban and its lifted by default.

pgdharma

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 04:40:32 PM »
Dr. Lobsang Sangey is the first Prime Minister since HHDL stepped down. As compared with HHDL who is  the spiritual and secular leader, Dr. Lobsang Sangey is a secular leader and I think that the Tibetans would like to see a change in the political  scenes. I do agree with what Vajratruth said about the acid test. Will Dr. Lobsang Sangey be involved in spiritual matters.  The future of the Tibetans lie in his hands. I hope he can handled  the Dorje Shugden issue in a sensible and logical way and help to lift the ban concerning Dorje Shugden practice.

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »
I get a good feeling from him too. He doesnt come off as slick as our politicians, maybe a bit more grounded but I want to hear him speak about Dorje Shugden. Or maybe not speak about Dorje Shugden actually, since hes a secular leader and doesnt have any religious authority. Perhaps silence is golden with this man and if he stays in power long, and stays silent about Dorje Shugden, maybe people will forget about the ban and its lifted by default.

I agree with DharmaDefender, since Dr. Lobsang Sangay doesn't have any religious authority he wouldn't (and shouldn't) have a say on reinforcing the Shugden ban. If he doesn't, and it seems that HHDL has a lighter deposition on the Shugden ban, the ban may be lifted by default.

If anything, Dr Lobsang Sangay should have a human rights stance on the Shugden issue.

I think that with HHDL stepping down as the Head of TGIE last night was a good move. As Buddhists, we should not have our religious heads worry or bother about secular issues. With our secular head spending time on secular matters, only reduces the amount of time they can teach and expound the Dharma.

Big Uncle

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 02:56:33 PM »
Dr Sangye is a great man. He will not say anything about Shugden because his teacher is HHDL. That is what I foresee.

;)

Unfortunately, I think Tenzin Gyatso has been right so far. It is really sad to see all the modern packaging of this new leader is so far just a front. Everybody knows there's a need to for change but nobody wants to push ahead and make full use of their position and power to make real change for Tibetan society. Nobody is strong enough to be a real leader of the Tibetan people.

If Dr Lobsang Gyatso won't do it, there would be nobody who would do it. There's nobody who is capable of making a real change. That would not bode well for Tibetan independence. In fact, there has not been a breakthrough for many years now. It is already well known that the last chance for dialogue by China and CTA was lost due to the way CTA handled its policies. This is really the last chance for CTA. 

DharmaSpace

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »
It is very interesting to note that since Lobsang Sangay took over the office he has not taken a position about Dorje Shugden. There can be a few possibilities one he is just being evasive about the entire topic, secondly it is an issue of minor importance to the Tibetan Cause.

If he is evasive it may not bode well for the Tibetan people and freedom, is he not strong enough to take his own position about this issue that has divided the tibetan diaspora? if his views are so aligned to the Dalai Lama it should be easy to just carry on that legacy, he just has to continue it and not do something new that could meet with a lot of resistance? So why is he hiding his views about Dorje Shugden?

If it is a small issue to the Tibetan which it is small in terms of its political relevancy, but still is important as this issue has divided the Tibetans for so long, so much differences and disharmony as a result of this nonsensical ban. 

kris

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 06:19:47 PM »
It is good to read articles that gives good review of Dr Lobsang Sangyal as the Prime Minister. I personally felt that he would do a good job in managing the government and bring benefits to the people of Tibet.

However, my question still remains the same: When is he going to remove the unfair policies towards the Dorje Shugde practitioners which are being set by the previous government? As Galen said, he criticized China for being unfair, then how about those policies towards Dorje Shugden practitioners??

There are a lot of practitioners and monks who are not given the basic necessities such as medical treatment because of the unfair policies. I know Dr Lobsang Sangyal can wait, but there are a lot of old monks who cannot wait.

So, Dr. Lobsang Sangyal, WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO LIFT THE BAN??

VS

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 01:19:24 PM »
Dr Lobsang Sangay sure has a long road in front of him. Being elected as the 1st secular Prime Minister and with the new Chinese law aimed at wiping out Tibetan identity, Dr Lobsang Sangay sure has his hands full.

On the other hand, Dr Lobsang Sangay is making the effort in 'getting in touch' with his people and is working towards a better future for Tibetans. Please give him a break, Rome is not built in a day, Dr Lobsang Sangay is laying the bricks towards a better tomorrow for his people.

May he be blessed by DS in the lifting of the ban.

Positive Change

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 03:51:02 PM »
Hopefully it is just a question of time and not another political rouse to for opinion polls and the like. Given the recent changes within just the CTA's website alone one needs to wonder:

When it was positive:
http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=12288

Followed by a negative:
http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=1837.0

So what to believe now? SIGH!

What would you like us to believe Mr President... ooops... I mean Mr Prime Minister!! ;)

VS

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 12:42:57 PM »
You are right, Positive Change, 'So what to believe now?'

It was so refreshing and encouraging when CTA removed the articles on the ban of Dorje Shugden practice. And after such a short period of time, these articles are back again!

Is CTA giving in to the unspoken pressure by HHDL against Dorje Shugden practice? If Dr Lobsang Sangay is really keen in improving the  living standard of his people, shouldn't he view all his people the same regardless of their religion and belief? Why bring this back now? Why not go all the way to benefit all including Dorje Shugden practitioners?

What's next? CTA, are you back at square 1 or are you for the greater of the Tibetans?