Author Topic: Panchen Sonam Drakpa  (Read 9102 times)

DharmaSpace

Panchen Sonam Drakpa
« on: July 06, 2011, 06:54:23 AM »
Panchen Sonam Drakpa one of the previous incarnations of Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsan brief biography is presented below

http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=8446

He was reknown as being one of the few people who was the abbott of the three main Gelugpa monasteries in Lhasa. And his textbooks that he wrote are still being used in ' "the Loseling College, the Shartse College of the Gaden Monastic University,'

The separation of the Gaden in Gaden Shartse and Shar Gaden is such a great shame, how can the protector who emanated from Tulku Dragpa Gyaltsen / Panchen Sonam Dragpa be a spirit. Has Gaden Shartse been studying texts from a being who had the propensity to become a spirit after so many enlightened incarnations have proven their mettle and enlightened nature over and over again.

hope rainbow

Re: Panchen Sonam Drakpa
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 09:26:06 AM »
I think he was the only one ever to be the abbott of the three main Gelugpa monasteries.
And indeed, it would make no sense that the geshe degrees of the gelug monasteries are based on the writing of a "spirit", no sense at all.
THUS, it must be that Dorje Shugden in a Buddha.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 03:52:20 PM »
The separation of the Gaden in Gaden Shartse and Shar Gaden is such a great shame, how can the protector who emanated from Tulku Dragpa Gyaltsen / Panchen Sonam Dragpa be a spirit. Has Gaden Shartse been studying texts from a being who had the propensity to become a spirit after so many enlightened incarnations have proven their mettle and enlightened nature over and over again.

What doesnt match to me is that the monastery's been using the texts for so many years, and has produced countless masters. How is it they ALL got it wrong for so many years? And how is it the texts produced countless masters for so many years?

And dont the monks debate these texts day in, day out anyways? So how is it no one found a flaw in it? Surely thered be a flaw if the texts had been written by a spirit, and not an enlightened mind.

Rihanna

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 05:40:17 PM »

What doesnt match to me is that the monastery's been using the texts for so many years, and has produced countless masters. How is it they ALL got it wrong for so many years? And how is it the texts produced countless masters for so many years?

And dont the monks debate these texts day in, day out anyways? So how is it no one found a flaw in it? Surely thered be a flaw if the texts had been written by a spirit, and not an enlightened mind.

So many years is an understatement. More like for the last five centuries and all the learned masters and scholars cant find a fault?? What more can one say; Dorje Shugden IS an enlightened being!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 12:06:45 PM »
More proof that the ban is more of a facade. Think about it -- if HHDL really wants to ban, all of Sonam Dragpa's works would have been burned and banned just like what they did with taranatha's.

Big Uncle

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 03:43:24 PM »
Not only was he famed for his scholasticism but also for the fact that he became the Guru of the young third Dalai Lama. At that time, the incarnation line of the Dalai Lamas was Gendun. However, Panchen Lama decided to name his incarnation Gyatso, which means ocean. The Third Dalai Lama's name was to be Sonam Gyatso. This is like a special foretelling of the scope of the third Dalai Lama's future work, which was to convert the Mongolian killer horde and bring them to the peaceful ways of Buddhism. There are some scholars that criticize him still for breaking away with incarnation naming tradition but most scholars sing praises of Panchen Sonam Drakpa's decision just like the prolific books he composed. He must have saw the amazing potential in the young Dalai Lama incarnation to have broken away with tradition.

On top of that, Panchen Sonam Drakpa's Guru was the second Dalai Lama, Gendun Gyatso. This close relationship seemed to have built up over lifetimes. They will continue to meet in lifetimes in such close intimate relationship and even right now, they seemed to be working against each other but in reality such Vajra brothers could only be playing a spectacle in order for Dharma to grow.

shugdenprotect

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 05:33:49 AM »
In reading the history of Dorje Shugden and the great works of these 2 enlightened beings (Dorje Shugden and HH the Dalai Lama) lifetime after lifetime, it is difficult to find sense in the ban of our Protector's practice.

Therefore, I can only say that, due to ignorance and lack of merits, we have not been able to decipher the rhyme and reasons behind the ban. So, we should practice patience and develop wisdom through sincere practice of pure Dharma and watch the final outcome of this "conspiracy" between the Great King and HH the Dalai Lama.

Adidtiaonally, as long as we do not have the ability to comprehend the full extent of this situation, we should do everything to avoid causing to any other being in the meantime.

DSFriend

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 09:30:59 AM »

Adidtiaonally, as long as we do not have the ability to comprehend the full extent of this situation, we should do everything to avoid causing to any other being in the meantime.

Good point. And thus, it is important for us to keep pure views of such beings.

Most of the time, we are only concerned with that which affects us directly, or matters of the moment. In the bigger scheme of things, our sight and concerns are extremely short term.. while the dharma teaches us to look and think beyond.

It is not just about a view based on blind faith. Especially with the easy access of information nowadays, we can read biographies of such high beings and their many past lives and achievements.

Similary, Dorje Shugden's lineage comes from illustrious masters. If so many students took refuge, vows, initiations, teachings, from Panchen Sonam Drakpa which...until now as mentioned that his writings are still being studied in the monasteries, how is it possible that Panchen Sonam Dragpa could degenerate into an evil spirit later as Dorje Shugden? Not possible.

whitelion

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 09:19:59 PM »
I really do not understand, why does Gaden Shartse still keeping Panchen Sonam Drakpa Statue in the main prayer hall, since Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen is so evil and will harm HHDL's life, and both Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen and Panchen Sonam Drakpa is sharing the same mindstream. 
CTA should ban everything related to Panchen Sonam Drakpa and also Tulku Drakpa Gyelsen, why that's a 50 50 situation? All of us know both Panchen Sonam Drakpa and Tulku Drakpa Gyelsen are not different from each other in nature, but you can study under Panchen Sonam Drakpa's text but not Tulku Drakpa Gyelsen.
We will never say the 5th Dalai Lama is great but not the 14th Dalai Lama, because both of them are equally the same in nature.

WoselTenzin

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 07:53:21 AM »
I really do not understand, why does Gaden Shartse still keeping Panchen Sonam Drakpa Statue in the main prayer hall, since Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen is so evil and will harm HHDL's life, and both Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen and Panchen Sonam Drakpa is sharing the same mindstream. 
CTA should ban everything related to Panchen Sonam Drakpa and also Tulku Drakpa Gyelsen, why that's a 50 50 situation? All of us know both Panchen Sonam Drakpa and Tulku Drakpa Gyelsen are not different from each other in nature, but you can study under Panchen Sonam Drakpa's text but not Tulku Drakpa Gyelsen.
We will never say the 5th Dalai Lama is great but not the 14th Dalai Lama, because both of them are equally the same in nature.

You are right whitelion.  There are so many inconsistencies in this entire DS controversy. It feels like there is a big picture behind it that has yet to unfold. Although all existing evidence tend to incriminate the Dalai Lama, there seem to be a conflicting occurences such as why the CTA (ex-TGIE) still allow Panchen Sonam Drakpa's text to be studied in Gaden Shartse and Drepung Loseling since Panchen Sonam Drakpa has the same mind stream with Tulku Drapka Gyaltsen and Dorje Shugden himself.  Looks like the Dalai Lama is not entirely anti-Shugden.  Although on the surface, the whole DS ban seem to directed to wipe out DS practice but I am sure it is more than what meets the eyes.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »
Thanks for all the sharing on Panchen Sonam Drakpa. I am wondering if there has ever been anything negative said about Panchen Sonam Drakpa ever since Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen's passing? In all the controversy, I have not come across any, which makes me conclude that it is contradictory as whitelion pointed out. Another contradiction I have found is that Setrab is not banned although he is in Dorje Shugden's mandala. And the Setrab assisted Dorje Shugden when the Lamas were trying to destroy him. The holy monks of Gaden Shartse still propitiate Setrab as their Dharma Protector and nothing is said about Setrab's close relationship with Dorje Shugden. Personally, i find it rather odd.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Barzin

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 10:26:51 PM »
Panchen Sonam Drakpa is such en elite master and a renowned scholar.  Monasteries and practitioners have long been using his text and he is known for his ocean of wisdom, clear memory and knowledge.  But when out of compassion, he emanated into a protector in a wrathful form, then he is an evil spirit?  Then what about those good deeds that he had accomplish?  Either way, famous for his scholar quality or emanate as an mistaken "evil" spirit to attract people into dharma, to me that's a real Buddha quality and compassion.

WoselTenzin

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »
Thanks for all the sharing on Panchen Sonam Drakpa. I am wondering if there has ever been anything negative said about Panchen Sonam Drakpa ever since Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen's passing? In all the controversy, I have not come across any, which makes me conclude that it is contradictory as whitelion pointed out. Another contradiction I have found is that Setrab is not banned although he is in Dorje Shugden's mandala. And the Setrab assisted Dorje Shugden when the Lamas were trying to destroy him. The holy monks of Gaden Shartse still propitiate Setrab as their Dharma Protector and nothing is said about Setrab's close relationship with Dorje Shugden. Personally, i find it rather odd.
[/quote

Good observation WB. I personally never thought of that.  It's true that it's rather odd why Gaden Shartse is still allowed to propitiate Setrap as their Dharma Protector given his very close relationship with DS. Setrap was the one who enthroned DS as a Dharma Protector.  Strictly speaking he was responsible for DS becoming an "official" Dharma Protector. Why allow the practice of Setrap and ban the practice of DS really doesn't make sense.  Too many contradictions that does not have a logical explanation....