Author Topic: Fantastic Nobel Laureates!  (Read 5659 times)

Tenzin Gyatso

Fantastic Nobel Laureates!
« on: June 20, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
His Holiness the Prince of Peace Dalai Lama with the icon of Freedom and Democracy Aung San Suu Kyi together in these heartwarming and beautiful photos.

They met together and shared reference points in their similar struggles and sacrifices they have done for their countries and inspired the world. Their determination has not brought them their respective goals yet, but brought hope to millions around the world who look to them for inspiration and strength. His Holiness presented a Buddha image wrapped in yellow khata to the lady who has become inspiration for millions around the world.

These pictures and more are all over Dharamsala. The Tibetans here are very happy to see this. I had to run to an internet cafe to post this here and to friends around the world immediately.

Incredible historical picture of two modern day 21st Century heroes and leaders for mankind.

Big Uncle

Re: Fantastic Nobel Laureates!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 01:34:36 PM »
What I like about these two esteemed Nobel Laureates is their shared belief in the Buddha. I like that very much because their steely strength and determination was inspired by the Dharma. It is this inspiration that brought them to who they are today.

It is beyond a doubt that the Dalai Lama's has kept his vows and commitments as a monk and so, Tibetan Buddhism is synonymous with the Dalai Lama. This is not to mention the Dalai Lama has made the plight of the Tibetans a worldwide phenomena. The same can be said of Aung San Suu Kyi, the gentle, strong and resolute resistance against the extremist regime in her home country. Both are the face of Buddhism on very different front but they leave lasting impressions upon the millions around the world that follow their struggles.

Buddhism does make a lasting difference to people and these two esteemed ones  are the face of Buddhism. Although I may not agree with the Dalai Lama's ban on Dorje Shugden but I cannot deny what he has done for Buddhism and how he has worked tirelessly to bring the plight of the Tibetans to countless people around the world.

Positive Change

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
WOW... How wonderful. I did a quick search and found out that it was also on the day of Aung San Suu Kyi's birthday when they met. What a meaningful and blessed birthday. I extracted and highlighted some articles here. Full details have yet to be released on the close door meeting.

I even foresee a knighthood by the Queen of England to this effervescent lady who is indeed a shining example of resilience and fortitude for her people. If anyone deserves an acknowledgement like that, it would be Daw Aung San Suu Kyi!

Some excerpts:

Wednesday,
20 June 2012 16:36   
Phayul

DHARAMSHALA, June 20: Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama met Burmese pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi yesterday in London on the latter’s 67th birthday.

This was the first time that the two Nobel Peace Laureates were meeting.

Speaking to Phayul, Tenzin Taklha, secretary of His Holiness the Dalai Lama said that the meeting took place in London yesterday evening.

Details of the meeting have not yet been made public.

Suu Kyi, who is currently on a five-nation European tour, delivered her Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech in Oslo on June 16, more than two decades after receiving the honour.

She was jailed in 1990, soon after leading her pro-democracy party to victory and spent much of the past 24 years under house arrest.

The Dalai Lama had often in the past campaigned for Suu Kyi’s release with other fellow Nobel laureates.

Soon after she was freed in late 2010, the Tibetan spiritual leader, in a message, welcomed her release.

“I welcome the release of fellow Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi and extend my appreciation to the military regime in Burma. I extend my full support and solidarity to the movement for democracy in Burma and take this opportunity to appeal to freedom-loving people all over the world to support such non-violent movements,” the Dalai Lama said.

Wednesday,
20 June 2012 16:36   
Mizzima News

Aung San Suu Kyi had a private conversation with the Dalai Lama on Tuesday in London, in which he told her, “I have real admiration for your courage. I am very happy we’ve been able to meet.”

His Holiness the Dalai Lama with Aung San Suu Kyi in London, England, on June 19, 2012. Photo: Jeremy Russell / OHHDL

It was the first time the two Nobel Peace Prize laureates had met.

In a conversation that lasted about 30 minutes, His Holiness told her that just as her late father had shown great dedication, he was confident that she too would be of great service to humanity, and he wished her every success in fulfilling her life’s goals, according to a statement on his office website.

The Dalai Lama also said he looked forward to meeting her again.

Other details of the meeting have not yet been made public.

The Dalai Lama has often in the past campaigned for Suu Kyi’s release from house arrest along with other fellow Nobel laureates.

Soon after Suu Kyi was freed from house arrest in late 2010, the Tibetan spiritual leader, in a statement, welcomed her release.

“I welcome the release of fellow Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi and extend my appreciation to the military regime in Burma. I extend my full support and solidarity to the movement for democracy in Burma and take this opportunity to appeal to freedom-loving people all over the world to support such non-violent movements,” the Dalai Lama said.

Wednesday,
20 June 2012 16:06   
The Tibet Post Internarional

Dharamshala:  His Holiness and the 'daughter of Burmese democracy' met in London yesterday. The Dalai Lama was holding his annual teachings in the British capital and Aung Sung Suu Kyi was returning 'Home'. She made a private visit to the Dalai Lama in the morning.

The two Nobel laureates spoke for about half an hour. The Dalai Lama spoke confidently that like her father she would do humanity a great service. He was quoted saying "I have real admiration for your courage. I am very happy we've been able to meet."

His Holiness continued onward to the University of Westminster to deliver his CR Parekh lecture. During the lecture he brought about the contrast in the policies of China and India.

Aung Sun Suu Kyi was travelling to Oxford. It had been where she started her family with her late husband, Michael Aris. She hadn't been there in nearly 24 years. It was a bittersweet occasion as she was unable to attend his funeral in 1999 because of her house arrest.

She had been under house arrest within Burma by the military junta for 15 years. Her victory in the elections in 1990 was considered void by the military regime. Since her internal exile she has campaigned for a democratic Burma and on April 1st of this year was able to successfully win a seat in the lower house of the Burmese parliament.

Many draw comparisons with the Tibet and Burma. Some have declared Suu Kyi and Dalai Lama as part of the Trinity which includes Nelson Mandela. Unlike Mandela, they have not been to realize their goals as yet.

Wednesday,
June 20th 2012
www.dalailama.com

London, England, 19 June 2012 - As His Holiness received Burmese leader and fellow Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, Aung San Suu Kyi, who had come to visit him privately this morning, he told her,  “I have real admiration for your courage. I am very happy we’ve been able to meet”

After more than half an hour’s close conversation, during which His Holiness told her that just as her late father had shown great dedication, he was confident that she too would be of great service to humanity, he wished her every success in fulfilling her life’s goals. He also said he looked forward to meeting her again.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 01:57:28 PM »
The contrast/ parallel is interesting: a man who was forced to flee from his home in 1959 and has not been allowed to return, and a woman who was an internal exile in her homeland.

It is the modern media which have made Aung San Suu Kyi into one of the most recognisable political leaders in the world are a source of strength. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why she has been freed by the Burmese junta. In the same way, it was also the media which have made His Holiness into one of the most recognisable icon for Buddhism globally, and also the champion for the cause of Tibet. Both His Holiness and Aung San Suu Kyi also fought great battles for social or political justice from the military "iron grip" of Burma and China using the principles of non-violence.

His Holiness brought up an interesting point, “After all Burma’s a Buddhist country and I’m sure its military leaders are also Buddhist. In their political work they should carry the Buddhist principle of compassion.” Well, we cannot say the same for China though. May be there's hope?

Here's a nice photo of His Holiness presenting the Buddha image to Aung San Suu Kyi.

dsiluvu

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 02:46:40 PM »
Seeing this picture of two of the world most inspirational people that gives light to so many brings tears to my eyes :) You can feel their compassionate nature radiating!

With such long struggles they both have endured...yet what a huge heart they have and they are still giving it out to the world and that they have made for the benefit of mankind. Aung San Suu Kyi could be the Mother Teresa now. How inspiring that despite what the have lost and the suffering they went through for their people... they can still smile. That is beauty of Buddhism. And they both represent Buddhism globally.

Also I would like to highlight that His Holiness the Dalai Lama as we've said many times... could not possibly be a fake, and if He is Chenrezig... who is actually one with Je Tsongkhapa as well... logically Dorje Shugden who protects Je Tsongkhapa's teaching, arose fromJe Tsongkhapa's seat must definitely be also protecting His Holiness, no?

Just take a look at the kind of pull HHDL has on ppl.... this cannot be an ordinary being..