Author Topic: Russell Brand and Dalai Lama form an unlikely double act  (Read 6492 times)

icy

Russell Brand and Dalai Lama form an unlikely double act
« on: June 17, 2012, 10:15:04 AM »
His Holiness is so versatile he and British comedian Russell Brand were on The Manchester Evening News Arena. Never could imagine both of them made such an interesting pair. Read on what ITV news reported:

"The Dalai Lama and comedian Russell Brand formed an unlikely double act on Saturday as an audience of youngsters was enlightened and entertained.

Brand was master of ceremonies at Manchester Arena where the Dalai Lama addressed several thousands youngsters on the theme Century of Dialogue - Stand up and Be the Change.

The funnyman-turned-movie star had said before the event that he presumed he was asked to compere proceedings because they wanted him to be funny.

He did not disappoint the crowd of mainly under-25s - who were given free entry - as he also hosted a question and answer session on stage and obviously created a good impression with the 1989 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate.

At one point the Dalai Lama playfully tugged Brand's beard on stage as the joker responded: "Not really a lot I can do in a situation like this. I just have to go with it."

The Dalai Lama is on a 10-day tour of Britain with a mission to spread his Buddhist teachings of peace and understanding to youngsters.

Brand introduced the event by saying he had just met him for the first time and found him "amazing".

Renowned for his frankness, Brand then said: "Going from junkie to Shagger of the Year...three times... to now introducing the Dalai Lama. It has been an interesting journey."

The spiritual leader was unperturbed as he revealed that he preferred informality.

Brand told how he had turned to drugs because there was something missing in his life and went on to muse if happiness could be derived from consumerism to Danny Welbeck's winner for England against Sweden last night in the Euro 2012 tournament.

"This person who introduced me is very fit," the Dalai Lama said, "completely informal!Brand later quipped: "Did you pick up any spiritual tips?"

The Dalai Lama replied: "I think your openness transfers wonderfully."

The pair went on to talk about their contrasting sleep times with the Dalai Lama arising early in the mid-morning which Brand thought was still evening.

"Day is for work, night is for sleep but you can do what makes you happy," said the Tibetan leader.

"Thank you for sanctioning my lifestyle," replied the comedian.

The Dalai Lama then explained how his sleep patterns were unaffected by whatever time zone he was in, although he could not say the same for his toilet habits.

Brand said: "That was more information then I imagined was possible to receive."

The Dalai Lama said the future was in the hands of the young people who could make change happen.

"The 21st century belongs to you," he said. "My generation belongs to the 20th century, it has already gone so my generation are ready to say bye bye.

"You are the main people who really create the better shape of the world so therefore I think quite certain this century can be more pleasant, more peaceful and more equal."

He said vision, warm-heartedness and determination were necessary to attain those goals and that young people were more open-minded.

Dialogue was the key to avoid violent conflicts, he said.

He continued: "At the age of 16 I lost my freedom. At the age of 24 I lost my own country. During these 50 or 60 years I have faced a lot of problems but I never give up hope. Hope based on truth, hope based on reason."

The Dalai Lama was asked about what message he would give to the youth of Manchester following last summer's riots in the city.

He said he was surprised to learn about the outbreaks of violence in the city and in London and had written to Prime Minister David Cameron to express his sadness.

Demonstration and protests were sometimes warranted but never violence, he said.

Brand, who has been a long-term supporter of the Tibetan cause, thanked the Dalai Lama as the two-hour event drew to a close.

http://www.itv.com/news/2012-06-17/russell-brand-and-dalai-lama-form-an-unlikely-double-act/

Galen

• Email
Re: Russell Brand and Dalai Lama form an unlikely double act
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 01:27:04 PM »
Thanks Icy for the nice post. It is interesting to read how the Dalai Lama has made himself available to the younger European crowd to spread peace and Buddhism. It is kinda light hearted and has some funny incidences but if we look a little bit deeper, it show that Buddhism has degenerated into a stage where the Monk has to go out to spread Buddhism. Not like before where spiritual seekers go to temples learn.

The Dalai Lama is indeed the international spiritual icon for Buddhism where his whole life is dedicated to that. It never tires him to travel everywhere to spread Dharma. Like what the Dalai Lama said in the article, he lost his freedom at 16 and his country at 24, it did not dampen his spirits of fighting for his people and his cause. He lived in a country which belongs to another government and have to work on his cause in extreme conditions. Even at this old age, he is still traveling. For this, I have the deepest respect for the Dalai Lama.

The Dalai Lama is also so flexible in changing his methods in propagating buddhist teachings with the change in times. I am sure the ways he used when he was at age 40 is different as compared to now.

<May the Dalai Lam live long and continue to turn the Dharma wheel.

michaela

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 01:48:40 PM »
I really like this dialogue between Russel Brand and Dalai Lama.  Who could have thought it could happened.

HHDL can catter to many generations and Buddhist teachings are so relevant and have been tested time and time again.  The situations and the customs might change, but the pure and essential Buddhist teachings stay as it is.

Positive Change

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »
HHDL certainly knows how to hold his own and how skillful are his methods to appeal and reach out to the young. Russell Brand is such an influential figure in entertainment these days and it is nice to be able to bridge this gap of age, of culture, or religious beliefs and of ideology… brilliant!

I especially love this statement by HHDL:

"At the age of 16 I lost my freedom. At the age of 24 I lost my own country. During these 50 or 60 years I have faced a lot of problems but I never give up hope. Hope based on truth, hope based on reason."

HHDL uses his own experiences in life to highlight the very basic fundamentals of integrity and hope. Truly a remarkable teacher… there is NO question in my mind or any doubt that HHDL’s implementation of the ban is for the greater good and benefit of all. There is no possibility of non suffering when it comes to a greater cause as there are bound to be obstacles. But when a method is applied by an emanation of Avalokitesvara/Chenrezig himself, rest assured, even the suffering is purification of sorts!

I just hope and pray CTA will come to their senses and realize that perhaps a similar method  applied by them may not reap the same results, and get off the high horse and start helping from the ground up. Give the Tibetans what they deserve… basic HUMAN rights!

sonamdhargey

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 02:33:15 PM »
People like HHDl, Mother Teresa & Aung San Suu Kyi never gets tired benefitting others. They are so kind and compassionate that no matter how difficult their path was, they never give up on others. Instead they become stronger each time they faced obstacles. They become the pillar and strength for people who have alraedy lost all hope yet these compassionate beings tirelessly carry on with their good deeds until the end.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 02:34:51 PM »
Thanks Icy for the nice post. It is interesting to read how the Dalai Lama has made himself available to the younger European crowd to spread peace and Buddhism. It is kinda light hearted and has some funny incidences but if we look a little bit deeper, it show that Buddhism has degenerated into a stage where the Monk has to go out to spread Buddhism. Not like before where spiritual seekers go to temples learn.

I agree with you Galen. This just shows how skillful Dalai Lama is and his warmth and humour are a bridge for these people to feel comfortable and interested to know more about Buddhism. Also, Dalai Lama was to address thousands of young people who were under 25 years old and to connect with them on the subject of power of spirituality, not an easy task!

I'd like to share some excerpts from interview with Brand below, you can see how Brand is impressed by the Dalai Lama and is of the opinion that one doesn't say "no" to the Dalai Lama, and willing to "risk" his career, even before sharing a stage with His Holiness.

Rusell Brand was known for his bawdy humour and he was into drugs previously. He told the press that he said yes to the event because he's the living incarnation of Buddha and thought that it can only be good for one's spiritual quest through life to be around the Dalai Lama. He thinks that His Holiness is "an amazing diplomat, an incredible activist, a wonderful human being and an inspiration to us all."

This is what he said,

1. "The Dalai Lama asked me to do this thing so, think if the Dalai Lama asked you to do something even if it was something like clean the car, you just do it don't you because you recognize that he's dedicated his entire life to being in tune with God."
(Excerpt from: http://www.itn.co.uk/uk/47758/Russell+Brand+on+the+Dalai+Lama)

2. US movie studios are very keen to break into China - is this going to have an impact on your career in films if China takes exception to your involvement with the Dalai Lama?
"You've raised a point that I'd not previously considered. I suppose one has to ultimately think, what's more important, the freedom of a nation or the career of one person?

"And I suppose, really, the freedom of a nation in most people's minds would be more important. And I'm sure I'll be all right with the old acting jobs for film studios. They're just human beings as well. They want what's right deep down. I know people who run film studios."

(Excerpt from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18455362)

However, I do think that his popularity will increase, just because he appeared together with His Holiness  ;D

dsiluvu

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 02:41:06 PM »
"The 21st century belongs to you," he said. "My generation belongs to the 20th century, it has already gone so my generation are ready to say bye bye.

"You are the main people who really create the better shape of the world so therefore I think quite certain this century can be more pleasant, more peaceful and more equal."

He said vision, warm-heartedness and determination were necessary to attain those goals and that young people were more open-minded.

So could we say BYE BYE to the Ban that was created in the 20th century? We are in the 21st century!
As for "more equal"... can this also be apply to Dorje Shugden practitioners please?

Dialogue was the key to avoid violent conflicts, he said.

He said he was surprised to learn about the outbreaks of violence in the city and in London and had written to Prime Minister David Cameron to express his sadness.

Demonstration and protests were sometimes warranted but never violence, he said.

If dialogue was the key as mentioned by the His Holiness, then why is it that up until today there is NO DIALOGUE between His Holiness and Shugdenpas and I believe many has written and requested this... but it has all been ignored.

As for demonstrations and protests that should be none violence... how come the Dalai Lama did not say anything to his people when they started to react violently to peaceful protest of Shugdenpas???  This can be seen here in this video footage...

Shugden Protest Footage in New York City Small | Large

Positive Change

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 02:45:51 PM »
Here is one of the latest updates, for this seemingly unlikely pairing which apparently went remarkably well. My thoughts highlighted in RED.

Manchester Evening News
17th June 2012

The Dalai Lama and comedian Russell Brand formed an unlikely double act as an audience of youngsters was enlightened and entertained.

Brand was master of ceremonies at Manchester Arena where the Dalai Lama addressed several thousand youngsters on the theme Century of Dialogue - Stand up and Be the Change.

The funnyman-turned-movie star had said before the event that he presumed he was asked to compere proceedings because they wanted him to be funny.

He did not disappoint the crowd of mainly under-25s - who were given free entry - as he also hosted a question and answer session on stage and obviously created a good impression with the 1989 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate.

At one point the Dalai Lama playfully tugged Brand's beard on stage as the joker responded: "Not really a lot I can do in a situation like this. I just have to go with it."

Picture attached show just the playfulness HHDL manifesting to ‘appeal’ to the young crowd. HHDL is truly such a sport! And Russell Brand is just so witty!! Brilliant that HHDL is able to show such humility and versatility to interact in such a manner to show a softer and humourous side!

The Dalai Lama is on a 10-day tour of Britain with a mission to spread his Buddhist teachings of peace and understanding to youngsters.

Brand introduced the event by saying he had just met him for the first time and found him "amazing".

"He is intense and sort of mellow, which is what you expect of someone who meditates five times a day," he said.

Renowned for his frankness, Brand then said: "Going from junkie to Shagger of the Year... three times... to now introducing the Dalai Lama. It has been an interesting journey."

The spiritual leader was unperturbed as he revealed that he preferred informality. Brand told how he had turned to drugs because there was something missing in his life and went on to muse if happiness could be derived from consumerism to Danny Welbeck's winner for England against Sweden last night in the Euro 2012 tournament.

"This person who introduced me is very fit," the Dalai Lama said, "completely informal!

Brand later quipped: "Did you pick up any spiritual tips?"

The Dalai Lama replied: "I think your openness transfers wonderfully."

Once again HHDL shows his compassion and is ever ready to make Russell Brand feel at ease. And with matching wit to boot! How I wish I could watch this on a video. Maybe it may come up on youtube sometimes soon.

The pair went on to talk about their contrasting sleep times with the Dalai Lama arising early in the mid-morning which Brand thought was still evening. "Day is for work, night is for sleep but you can do what makes you happy," said the Tibetan leader.

"Thank you for sanctioning my lifestyle," replied the comedian.

The Dalai Lama then explained how his sleep patterns were unaffected by whatever time zone he was in, although he could not say the same for his toilet habits.

Brand said: "That was more information then I imagined was possible to receive."

This dialogue is brilliant! HHDL can truly hold his own... who says Tibetan Buddhism has to be stuffy and rigid. Its great that HHDL can portray "coolness" to these thousands of impressionable youth. Truly skillful!

The Dalai Lama said the future was in the hands of the young people who could make change happen. "The 21st century belongs to you," he said. "My generation belongs to the 20th century, it has already gone, so my generation is ready to say bye bye."

You are the main people who really create the better shape of the world so therefore I think quite certain this century can be more pleasant, more peaceful and more equal." He said vision, warm-heartedness and determination were necessary to attain those goals and that young people were more open-minded.

Dialogue was the key to avoid violent conflicts, he said. He continued: "At the age of 16 I lost my freedom. At the age of 24 I lost my own country. During these 50 or 60 years I have faced a lot of problems but I never give up hope.

Hope based on truth, hope based on reason." The Dalai Lama was asked about what message he would give to the youth of Manchester following last summer's riots in the city.

He said he was surprised to learn about the outbreaks of violence in the city and in London and had written to Prime Minister David Cameron to express his sadness. Demonstration and protests were sometimes warranted but never violence, he said.

HHDL is truly the perfect and incomparable orater, as he first "entices" the crowd then, keeps the interest then very skillfully impart the wisdom... remarkable! Truly the mark of a most skillful teacher that is able to share meaningful Dharma in subtle, yet I believe, long lasting impact on the youth.

Brand, who has been a long-term supporter of the Tibetan cause, thanked the Dalai Lama as the two-hour event drew to a close. "I have found it very inspiring and helpful," he said. "We need to look within ourselves."

The Dalai Lama will also address young audiences at the University of Westminster, the London School of Economics and Political Science, Edinburgh Usher Hall, Caird Hall in Dundee and the Eden Court Theatre in Inverness.

He will meet Tibetan, Nepalese and Mongolian Buddhist communities, religious leaders and parliamentarians at Westminster and Holyrood.

The Dalai Lama was born in a small village in north-eastern Tibet and at the age of two was recognised as the incarnation of the 13th Dalai Lama, Thubten Gyatso, and began his monastic education when he was six. He was called upon to assume full political power over the people of Tibet at the age of 15 but was forced into exile in India after China invaded Tibet in 1949.

While in exile, he has worked to restore autonomy for Tibet within the People's Republic of China and maintained a non-violent approach to his people's struggle.

Brand appeared to make reference during the proceedings to a spat he had with BBC chat show host Graham Norton earlier in the week.

Brand was one of Norton's guests on his chat show this week, which was aired on BBC1 last night. It emerged today that during filming a row had erupted after Norton made reference to Brand's failed marriage to pop star Katy Perry - a scene that was axed from last night's show.

Today, during his appearance in Manchester with the Dalai Lama, Brand appeared to refer to the spat. The subject of forgiveness was addressed at one point on stage by the pair when Brand said someone had been rude to him this week.

The Dalai Lama advised forgiveness to the person even though they may have acted wrongly.

Brand said: "I think the action was wrong, the person was rude. "I can forgive the human being but still resist the action?"

"That is right," replied the Dalai Lama.

Perfect!

A spokeswoman for So Television, which produces The Graham Norton Show, said today the clip in question was axed because it was not one of the better bits of the interview.

Just reading this article makes me respect HHDL even more. The fact that HHDL is able to show a more approachable side to him. A more witty and humourous side that will undoubtedly leave a lasting impression on the youths attending this event. HHDL is often seen as this spiritual/Buddhist leader that is almost inapproachable but this has in a way turned it around and indirectly made Buddhism in the eyes of these youths "cool" and interesting!

Positive Change

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 03:32:03 PM »
HHDL pulling the beard of Russell Brand in jest!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 02:56:54 PM »
Wow. Once just a comedian, the Dalai Lama actually gave him a spiritual boost and not only that, it even gave his career an unexpected boost! this is what i call a blessing: the opening up of spiritual imprints into an action of sorts.

'Brand X With Russell Brand' premieres Thursday, June 28 at 11 p.m. ET on FX.
Russell Brand heads to American TV for the first time with his own FX late-night series, "Brand X" (premieres Thursday, June 28 at 11 p.m. ET).

The British comedian and actor -- best known stateside for his role in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" -- goes back to his stand-up start on "Brand X With Russell Brand." On the first episode of the half-hour show, Brand gets quite spiritual. He kicks off the premiere discussing his meeting with the Dalai Lama and how rumors started that he regaled the Tibetan high priest with tales of his sex life.

"I feel like spirituality is the most thing in our lives," Brand explains to his straight man and Roosevelt Institute fellow, Matt Stoller, wondering why the US and UK don't have a figure similar to the Dalai Lama. He goes on to discuss Mel Gibson, circumcision and even fellow new FX star Charlie Sheen (whose new series "Anger Management" premieres Thursday as well at 9 p.m. ET).

"It was really tremendous fun," Brand told HuffPost TV's Maggie Furlong of "Brand X" at FX's summer comedy party in Hollywood earlier this week. "It was beautiful, I think because people kept marching up, the audience, onto the stage, clearly under the influence of drugs, while trying to understand the concept of a universal peace and the principles of Buddhism as espoused by the Dalai Lama. On FX -- imagine it! I think it's going to be remarkable."

Tune in to "Brand X With Russell Brand" on Thursday, June 28 at 11 p.m. ET to see if it all the wonderful adjectives he used above.

Klein

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 06:48:47 PM »
It's one of HHDL's skillful ways of reaching out to the West. Who would ever think of giving a dharma talk alongside with a comedian like Russell Brand? If you watch the video clip of the talk, you'll realise that HHDL is making his dharma talk light and refreshing. The image he exudes is being spiritual can be jovial, casual and fun as well. I think this has a greater appeal especially to the younger generation.

Here is the video clip
His Holiness the Dalai Lama Meets Russell Brand

I like HHDL's message of living our life fulfilling our maximum potential. HHDL also added that when we look at our challenges on a longer term basis, it'll bring more determination instead of stress and frustration. What profound teachings!