Author Topic: The Dalai Lama says reports of human rights violations in Burma very unfortunate  (Read 7187 times)

Ensapa

• Email
If this is unfortunate, what about the plight of the Dorje Shugden followers that were discriminated against in Dharamsala? Isnt that even more unfortunate because that is something you could have prevented? But at least, HHDL spoke up against the protesting monks and that is quite important to show that the stands for the right things.

The Dalai Lama says reports of human rights violations in Burma ‘very unfortunate’
Phayul[Thursday, September 13, 2012 04:04]

His Holiness the Dalai Lama speaking on "Non-violence and Ethical Values" at the Jamia Millia Islamia University in New Delhi, India, on September 12, 2012. Also seen in the picture is Vice Chancellor Prof. Najeeb Jung. (Photo/OHHDL/Tenzin Choejor)
DHARAMSHALA, September 13: Tibetan spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama called the reports of gross human rights violations n Burma “very unfortunate” and said he tried to contact pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi and the Burmese government over the issue.

“Yes, it’s very unfortunate. But no avenue of communication with the Burmese government is open to me. Although I am a Buddhist, very few Buddhist countries, apart from Japan, have given me permission to visit them on pilgrimage,” the Dalai Lama said in response to a question on the reports of gross human rights violations against the Rohingya Muslims in western Burma.

“In fact you could say I have greater freedom to visit Christian countries or even a Muslim country like Jordan, than I do to visit most Buddhist countries. The situation with Burma is the same.”

The Dalai Lama, who was speaking on the Importance of Non-violence and Ethical Values at the Jamia Millia Islamia University in New Delhi on Wednesday, further added that he wrote to Aung San Suu Kyi, his only contact in the country, on the issue. The two Nobel Peace laureates had recently met in London.

“Accordingly, I wrote to her about this matter, but have had no reply. Likewise, I asked my representative in Delhi to approach the Burmese Embassy here, but after several weeks we’ve had no response. So, there’s little I can do but pray,” the Tibetan leader said.

“If allegations that Buddhist monks have been involved in assaulting these Muslim brothers and sisters turn out to be true, it is totally wrong.”

Earlier in the day, the Dalai Lama also separately met with the editors of three Urdu language newspapers.

Returning back to the University which conferred an honorary degree of Doctor of Letters (Honoris Causa) on him in 2010, the Dalai Lama reflected on the oneness of humanity in our common desire and right to be happy.

The 77-year-old Tibetan leader explained that trust and friendship were necessary to be a contented human being, which he said tends to develop “much better once we realise that all beings have a right to happiness, just as we do.”

“Taking others’ interests into account not only helps them, it also helps us. Warm-heartedness and concern for others are a part of human nature and are at the core of positive human values.”

Referring to the 20th century as an era of bloodshed, the Dalai Lama said all problems and conflicts must be resolved through peaceful ways and dialogue.

“Non-violence doesn’t mean we have to passively accept injustice. We have to fight for our rights. We have to oppose injustice, because not to do so would be a form of violence,” the Tibetan spiritual leader said. “Gandhi-ji fervently promoted non-violence, but that didn’t mean he was complacently accepting of the status quo; he resisted, but he did so without doing harm.”

AnneQ

Yes the human right violation in Burma is very unfortunate and am happy to read that HHDL has spoken out against this gross injustice and condemned the Buddhist monks' actions towards the Muslims. In all respects, I believe HHDL is doing wonderful work speaking in conferences all over the world on human right issues, spreading the message of peace and harmony and promoting good inter religious relations worldwide. However, I cannot help but reflect on the irony of HHDL's work on the international level on one hand and the current situation caused by the DS ban within the exiled Tibetan community in South India on the other hand.
Since I have come to know about the Dorje Shudgen and the ban imposed by HHDL that has caused so much suffering, anger and misery among the Tibetan monks and the exiled community, I cannot help but look at every article and reports I read about HHDL and all his good works around the world with a sense of irony and cynicism. I do not doubt that HHDL stands for all that is right and good in our current violent and often evil times, yet why can't He also stand for the same things within his own community? Where is the logic? Where is the love and compassion where it matters the most? It does make me confused and a little somewhat disillusioned, or am I being too naive? Am I missing something?

beggar

AnneQ - spot on. You've really hit the nail on the head there. I think the most ironic and tragic part of the situation within the Tibetan Community is not only the violation of human rights, but that the violation is being carried out by Buddhists against their fellow Buddhists. This is the worst kind - it's like when families were made to report on each other and turn against their own parents during communist China! (further irony, that the CTA accuse Shugdenpas of being "chinese spies" when in fact their own actions mimic those of historical communist China!)

It has been of great curiosity to me why human rights organisations have not picked up at all on the Dorje Shugden issue. This has nothing to do with the conflict between China and the Dalai Lama (and surely, if nations wanted to "support" China, then helping the plight of Dorje Shugdens against the Dalai Lama's wishes would actually create better leverage for them to snuggle up with China). It is a simple situation of people not being able to pursue their chosen faith and being persecuted for it. Apart from a few news reports on this, I haven't heard nor seen much action being taken to protect Dorje Shugden practitioners against the persecution. Has anyone?

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
Yes the human right violation in Burma is very unfortunate and am happy to read that HHDL has spoken out against this gross injustice and condemned the Buddhist monks' actions towards the Muslims. In all respects, I believe HHDL is doing wonderful work speaking in conferences all over the world on human right issues, spreading the message of peace and harmony and promoting good inter religious relations worldwide. However, I cannot help but reflect on the irony of HHDL's work on the international level on one hand and the current situation caused by the DS ban within the exiled Tibetan community in South India on the other hand.
Since I have come to know about the Dorje Shudgen and the ban imposed by HHDL that has caused so much suffering, anger and misery among the Tibetan monks and the exiled community, I cannot help but look at every article and reports I read about HHDL and all his good works around the world with a sense of irony and cynicism. I do not doubt that HHDL stands for all that is right and good in our current violent and often evil times, yet why can't He also stand for the same things within his own community? Where is the logic? Where is the love and compassion where it matters the most? It does make me confused and a little somewhat disillusioned, or am I being too naive? Am I missing something?

Dear Annie Q,

I agree with you. There is no logic whatsoever and if I were to continue to focus on the contradictions between what HHDL does re the ban and what HHDL proclaims to the world, those thoughts would quickly and surely fuel a resentment towards what I would perceive to be HHDL's hypocrisy. It is easy to feel angry at the actions of HHDL vis-a-vis the ban, but that won't help my Dharma journey.

But before I get too carried away with my own sentiments, I am reminded of the words of Trijang Rinpoche who instructed us to support HHDL during this time and also the advice of Lama Zopa (whom I believe is still practicing Dorje Shugden secretly in contrast to his public stance) who cautioned against trying to understand the mind and methods of a Buddha.

If HHDL is on a secret mission to promote Dorje Shugden at the cost of His own reputation, then the following statement by HHDL is good advice to us:

“Non-violence doesn’t mean we have to passively accept injustice. We have to fight for our rights. We have to oppose injustice, because not to do so would be a form of violence,” the Tibetan spiritual leader said. “Gandhi-ji fervently promoted non-violence, but that didn’t mean he was complacently accepting of the status quo; he resisted, but he did so without doing harm.”

Nevertheless, I am disappointed that the plight suffered by Dorje Shugden practitioners have not received as much coverage as it deserves. Still, it is very much our duty to spread the word and the practice by leveraging on all the publicity HHDL has created.

Aurore

“If allegations that Buddhist monks have been involved in assaulting these Muslim brothers and sisters turn out to be true, it is totally wrong.”

I agree. It is very wrong and this issue has been keeping me wondering too. It is all over the internet and I must say most people believe it's true displaying monks watching the holocaust and many muslims are furious with Buddhists in general.
Rohingya - The Forgotten People

This is a big question mark here since Buddhism has been long seen as a religion of peace. With such unfortunate situations, will it bring people to know more about Buddhism or merely create a negative impact? Christianity is the world's largest religion while next in line is Islam. Both most involved with holy wars.

I wonder if the Dorje Shugden drama has any relation to growing the Tibetan Buddhism and making it a more widely practiced religion?

dondrup

I fully agree with what His Holiness Dalai Lama had said on the above.  Buddhists do not practise harming others.  It is totally unacceptable to assault the Muslims.  These monks have caused disrepute to Buddhism because they are the lineage holders of Buddha Shakyamuni’s teachings and the ambassadors of Buddhism.

I concur with Ensapa.  What about the ban that has caused tremendous amount of injustice to the Dorje Shugden practitioners?  Shouldn’t Dorje Shugden practitioners deserve similar human rights as the Rohingya Muslims in western Burma? 

His Holiness Dalai Lama, please lift the ban!

DharmaDefender

I wouldnt call a Burmese killer a Buddhist, anymore than Id call a Taliban fighter a Muslim. Anyway, its all a case of perception, isnt it? In areas like Pakistan, etc., Muslims are the aggressor. In Burma, Muslims are the victims. In Afghanistan, with Bamiyan, Buddhists were the victims. In Burma, Buddhists are the aggressors. The point is that just because you possess an ideology and are fundamentalist about it, doesnt mean that you are its top practitioner or your actions best capture the essence of your belief.

The same thing is happening in the case of Dorje Shugden, its all perception. Before the ban, the perception of Dorje Shugden practitioners was that their such great practitioners by following their gurus instructions. After the ban, the perception now is that Dorje Shugden practitioners are spirit-worshippers and condemned to the three lower realms.

Politics change, trends come and go, and opinions are forever shifting. The only thing that remains constant is your gurus advice and compassion to help you, so why not just go with what he says?

Ensapa

• Email
I wouldnt call a Burmese killer a Buddhist, anymore than Id call a Taliban fighter a Muslim. Anyway, its all a case of perception, isnt it? In areas like Pakistan, etc., Muslims are the aggressor. In Burma, Muslims are the victims. In Afghanistan, with Bamiyan, Buddhists were the victims. In Burma, Buddhists are the aggressors. The point is that just because you possess an ideology and are fundamentalist about it, doesnt mean that you are its top practitioner or your actions best capture the essence of your belief.
As much as what you said makes sense, the rest of the world does not see it as that way. They have a set perception on how Buddhists should be and how Muslims should be and they will judge other Buddhists to see if they match against this set of values, and if it does not match they will lose faith in Buddhism. Yes. the world is superficial, and there is nothing anyone can do about it but to educate.

The same thing is happening in the case of Dorje Shugden, its all perception. Before the ban, the perception of Dorje Shugden practitioners was that their such great practitioners by following their gurus instructions. After the ban, the perception now is that Dorje Shugden practitioners are spirit-worshippers and condemned to the three lower realms.
it goes to show that all it takes is just one person to change something, to change a perception, to change a mindset, ultimately, unlike what people like to believe that it takes time or more people to activate.It is the perception that matters at this day and age, not the truth.

Politics change, trends come and go, and opinions are forever shifting. The only thing that remains constant is your gurus advice and compassion to help you, so why not just go with what he says?
ditto!
Thank you for such insight on this topic, but unfortunately the rest of the world will now judge Burmese Buddhism based on this protest....and only they can change this.

Benny

Thank you all for sharing . I cannot agree more with Vajratruth on this. It is indeed sad to witness this schism happening right now within the Gelugpa lineage.

But within this controversy I cant help but to wonder how His Holiness can still keep a straight face in light of what is happenning in the homefront. To me His Holiness is really in fact in total control , for him to have worked so hard to achieve the accolades and worldwide respect only to throw it alll away and be accused of being a hypocrite. Totally mind blowing act of selflessness.

Amitabha

• Email
human rights issue is what DL has mentioned in "Dalai Lama Tells His Facebook Friends That 'Religion Is No Longer Adequate' ". It has been long lost, prob 100-200 years in the cruelty of materialism and power amongst human colony in humanity  8) Hope that it will regain back its compassion, benevolence, peace and bliss as mentioned on DL book titled "The Universe Is In An Atom" :P

Ensapa

• Email

Dear Annie Q,

I agree with you. There is no logic whatsoever and if I were to continue to focus on the contradictions between what HHDL does re the ban and what HHDL proclaims to the world, those thoughts would quickly and surely fuel a resentment towards what I would perceive to be HHDL's hypocrisy. It is easy to feel angry at the actions of HHDL vis-a-vis the ban, but that won't help my Dharma journey.
The ban and what Dalai Lama has been preaching does contradict each other in more ways than one. That is how I see it and I am kinda glad that someone shares the same view. I feel betrayed by this but then again, there are many signs around that tells me that the whole thing is just an act, starting with the half hearted way the ban is being talked about by the Dalai Lama. Also, i prefer to follow my Lama's neutrality in this issue rather than taking sides.

But before I get too carried away with my own sentiments, I am reminded of the words of Trijang Rinpoche who instructed us to support HHDL during this time and also the advice of Lama Zopa (whom I believe is still practicing Dorje Shugden secretly in contrast to his public stance) who cautioned against trying to understand the mind and methods of a Buddha.
No matter how you wanna see it, Lama Zopa did leave a lot of hints that he is a practitioner.He visited the previous Trijang Rinpoche's stupa, and logically, how can someone who has practiced Dorje Shugden for decades suddenly stop? If he can give up on Dorje Shugden this easily then he could also give up on benefitting others just as easily as well, so i doubt he has.

If HHDL is on a secret mission to promote Dorje Shugden at the cost of His own reputation, then the following statement by HHDL is good advice to us:
If HHDL was really against Dorje Shugden, he would have removed all references to him and his past incarnations from the kangyur and tengyur and suppress samdhong Rinpoche and Ngari Rinpoche. He did not. He would also say anyone who even mentions Dorje Shugden would shorten his life and if he does that then the practice will really die out. That is what Nyingma, Kagyu and Sakya did. Know the difference.

Thats what we as practitioners should do: stand up and speak out against the ban. There is nothing to lose and there is everything to gain, namely, resilience, willpower and focus.

Nevertheless, I am disappointed that the plight suffered by Dorje Shugden practitioners have not received as much coverage as it deserves. Still, it is very much our duty to spread the word and the practice by leveraging on all the publicity HHDL has created.
I am sad with the plight of our fellow practitioners as well, which is why we must never give up in spreading Dorje Shugden and giving positive imprints of Dorje Shugden in the minds of others.

I do share many common points with you, Vajratruth but i still do feel that there are some points that I can elaborate on :)

DharmaSpace

It does not make sense to comment on other countries problems, when the Dalai lama's own country practices discrimination against the practitioners of Dorje Shugden. There is simply no basis for doing political persecution in one's own country and saying it is so bad in a country like Myanmar.  I hope the Dalai Lama will comment on the inhuman treatment that dorje shudgen practitioners encounter all the time in South india that would be  lot less closer to home.

Also Burmese government is hardly buddhist in nature for firing on monks and its own people. This effort by the Dalai Lama to comment on what happens in Myanmar I feel is an utter waste of time.

Amitabha

• Email
There is different on the context of human rights issue in political arena, and discrimination of practice on the goal of DL's esoteric tradition and disciples under his prohetsy  ;D

Ensapa

• Email
It's pretty much sad that the Dalai Lama comments on the situation of another country as he keeps quiet about the situation in his own backyard: the Dorje Shugden issue that he has created is not too different from the Myanmar issue. Both are discrimination against people, one based on race and the other one is based on religion. He should speak up and tell people to not be that against Dorje Shugden practitioners and actually treat them in a more humane way.