Author Topic: Divine Friends: The Karmapa and Trijang Rinpoche  (Read 6004 times)

DharmaDefender

Divine Friends: The Karmapa and Trijang Rinpoche
« on: April 09, 2013, 05:29:32 PM »
Many of the Dalai Lamas supporters have been insisting that theres no way that the Karmapa couldve instructed monks to remove the anti-Shugden statue at the opening of a monastery in Nepal (http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/the-controversy/karmapa/). But if the Karmapa was such good friends with Trijang Rinpoche for lifetime after lifetime, wouldnt it be just a little bit possible that he stuck up for his good friends practice? Why be such good friends with a supposed demon-worshipper anyway?

From: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/all-articles/features/divine-friends-the-karmapa-and-trijang-rinpoche/

Divine Friends: The Karmapa and Trijang Rinpoche

H.H. Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche is among the most prominent and important teachers of the Gelug school of Tibetan Buddhism, responsible for bringing almost all the teachings of this lineage out of Tibet in the late 1950s. It would be safe to say that almost every Gelug practitioner in the world today can consider Trijang Rinpoche one of their spiritual grandfathers. And yet, though Trijang Rinpoche is also known the world over as being one of the 14th Dalai Lama’s root Gurus, many continue to disparage him, shun him and reject his teachings.

This animosity is for no other reason than his practice of Dorje Shugden, in this and his previous life; this is even in spite of the fact that H.H. Trijang Chocktrul Rinpoche, the current incarnation, has received explicit permission from H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama to continue his Shugden practice.

However, while the Buddhist world rages on about the sectarian tendencies of Shugden practitioners and the incorrectness of this practice, we might want to turn to the great example of the high Lamas to see another kind of truth. DorjeShugden.com has recently discovered these old pictures of the previous 16th Karmapa and the previous incarnation of Trijang Rinpoche. Study for a moment the close friendship that they clearly enjoyed, evident even in an old photograph.

So closely connected were these two high lamas that it is documented in their biographies and biographical thangkas that in one lifetime, the Karmapa and Trijang Rinpoche even “swapped” incarnations – the Karmapa took rebirth as a boy who would be recognized as Trijang Rinpoche, and Trijang Rinpoche took rebirth as a being who became the 8th Karmapa. Each then assumed the role as leaders within each other’s tradition. This shows clearly that at the highest level of the enlightened mind, there is absolutely no difference in capability, wisdom and compassion to help all sentient beings. They show us in this wonderful example that the teachings of every sect lead us ultimately to the same state of mind; it is only us, the unenlightened ones, who focus so strongly on the differences between schools and faiths.

That they are spiritual leaders of two distinctly separate schools within Tibetan Buddhism is not an issue; nor has it ever been one. It has only been among anti-Shugden proponents that cries of sectarianism have been hurled against Gelug practitioners and Dorje Shugden devotees. In reality, there is no real basis to these accusations – the spiritual leaders of these different schools can attest to that.

The Loving Support of the 16th Karmapa
As the Tibetan Buddhist community continues to rail against the practice of Dorje Shugden, let it be known that one of the strongest supporters of our Protector was this same 16th Karmapa. There is a story to illustrate this, as follows:

In the 1970s or 1980s, the 16th Karmapa went to an opening of a Nyingma monastery in Nepal. In that monastery was a statue of the Nyingma protector Dorje Drolo, which had been modified to step on an effigy of Dorje Shugden. The Karmapa was very angry when he saw this. He asked, “Who made this? Where did this lineage come from? Show me the monk who did this!”

More than that, the Karmapa predicted then to the Nyingmas at the monastery, “You will have no choice in the future but to practice this protector; there will come a time when you need him”, referring of course to Dorje Shugden. He then ordered for the statue’s removal and left the monastery very unhappily.

This incident was then recorded by the very famous Buddhist master, H.E. Dagom Rinpoche, as evidenced in this sungbum below.

So what of sectarianism? And is it really written in the books, as we are told to believe? The living example of two wonderful old lamas, their mutual friendship and respect for each other’s practices – as evidenced in the photographs and story above – show us otherwise. They exemplify the beautiful truth that sectarianism is never a part of any real practitioner’s path.

Please share these photos with practitioners from all traditions and join us at DorjeShugden.com to rejoice in what is truly important – harmony and friendship, whatever our sects, backgrounds or faiths.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: Divine Friends: The Karmapa and Trijang Rinpoche
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »
This is a lovely article because it is evidence that there is no sectarianism between Dorje Shugden practitioners and non-Dorje Shugden practitioners. Especially when we look at these highly attained Lamas, there is no distinction between the different schools of Buddhism - they are merely different methods with different foci but all consistently conveying the Buddha's teachings.

If people are skeptical of the Karmapa's support for Dorje Shugden, then i would say that they should contemplate on their own divisive minds. The Karmapa may not practice but he would know the virtues of practicing this sacred Dharma Protector. Just because different lineages have different yidams and protector practices, it does not mean that just because we practice differently, my practice is better or worse than yours. The practices we have are given to us by the lineage lamas. If we hold our lineage lamas in such high esteem, we should also hold our practices so strongly and keep them at the cost of our lives.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

dsiluvu

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:54:45 AM »
“You will have no choice in the future but to practice this protector; there will come a time when you need him”, referring of course to Dorje Shugden.
[/b][/size]

I just love what the Karmapa said! Now why would he say such a thing if Dorje Shugden was evil and sectarian and can harm? If we believe that these enlightened Gurus and Lamas are emanations of Buddhas, then why would there be any agenda or issues with compassion? What - is compassion biased towards Dorje Shugden? Is the Karmapa wrong as well?

With so many evidence pointing out the incredibly ridiculous Ban, I wonder for how long more can the CTA keep this up? It also made me realise that there are two types of mind sets in the Tibetans community, one that thinks and practice the Dharma, and one that chnats and have no idea what is Dharma "practice"... they are like peasants with sheep like mentality that just goes with the flow. Oh pardon me.... not only the Tibetans seems to be this way, some are westerners too. Perhaps in following the ban, they would win favours with HHDL/CTA, and use this for their own gains... how sad, but probably true.

However if the Karmapa can be so bold to say such a statement... what does it mean? Now I am sure the Karmapa would not say this if He thought DS was demonic, would harm HH and sectarian. I wonder how long this CTA can hold on to their twisted stories?

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 12:53:37 PM »
I really love this article because it highlights the fact that Dorje Shugden is not sectarian and also something that basically can blast away all of the anti Dorje Shugden detractors who keep saying that Dorje Shugden is sectarian.  The Karmapas are traditionally very close with the Trijang Rinpoche line of incarnations and it makes sense if he also is a Dorje Shugden practitioner in some way. The prediction that the Karmapa gave about Dorje Shugden would mean that soon when the ban is lifted, somehow or rather all traditions will have to rely on him as a Dharma protector and he will overwhelm them.

lotus1

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 09:10:29 PM »
Thank you for sharing this lovely article. I am so happy to see the pictures of the two high lamas. From the pictures, I just feel the peace in my heart and I can also feel the compassion projected by both high lamas. Yes, there is no sectarianism between Dorje Shugden practitioners and non-Dorje Shugden’s practitioners. In the high beings mind, it is all the same!

CTA should be ashamed of what they have done to the Shugden practitioners. May the ban be lifted soonest and all can be protected and blessed by Dorje Shugden.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 08:01:29 AM »
By the way, in case anyone is not aware yet, in one incarnation of the Karmapas, it was actually Trijang Rinpoche because the 8th Karmapa, Mikyo Dorje is actually Trijang Rinpoche and he switched places with the Karmapa at that time (and they passed all of the tests and nobody realized, proving once and for all they are enlightened beings) so traditionally both Lamas are extremely close to each other. With this knowledge, it would be very 'easy' to find out who is the 'real' Karmapa - the one who would resume his relationship with the current Trijang Rinpoche would be the real one, in my opinion.

christine V

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 02:34:59 AM »
Dear DharmaDefender,

Truly appreciate these groups of photos. It's feel good and happy even to look at the photos.
It is true that the enlightens' mind are at the same state. The differentiation amongst Buddhist's sect, the color etc,  it was the flexibility of Buddha teaching merge with the culture that the person in to suit the person's mind.
Our mind always have dualistic mind to confuse us. Struggled between wrong views and correct views because of our own ignorant and fear.
Further, if we believed in reincarnation, we should truly understand that it is possible that Trijang Rinpoche and the Karmapa have once "change" the position and reincarnate to each other sect.
Once again, thanks for sharing this precious photos

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 04:00:15 AM »
another thing about these photos is that they are indisputable proof that the incident really existed and also nobody is making any of these up. One of the main accusations that Dorje Shugden detractors like to use is to accuse anyone of siding with Dorje Shugden as lying. It's another psychological tactic they use to intimidate and confuse people who dont know any better to concur with them. Again, you wont see any of them in this forum because they cannot confuse people who already know their stuff. They only dare to do it in forums where people know little about the whole issue.