Author Topic: The 14th Dalai Lama is destroying the work of the 5th  (Read 11210 times)

Blueupali

• Email
Re: The 14th Dalai Lama is destroying the work of the 5th
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 08:09:05 AM »
Dear Vajratruth,
  Thank you for all the references.  I have been conducting a lot of web searches about Kagyus and Shugden because I seem to have a really strong affinity for both; as far as my personal path is concerned I am always trying to find the Kagyu-Shugden link.  That is actually how I came across this site in the first place; I was google searching Karmapa and Shugden.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoting Vajratruth:
More recently, the 16th Karmapa H.H. Rangjung Rigpe Dorje was well known to have advised that there will come a time when all will have to depend on Dorje Shugden.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know:).  I hope that time will be soon because I really do love Dorje Shugden and also all the Kagyu lineage gurus.  Please do not take offense, but Je Tsongkapa without Dorje Shugden always seems very disconcerting to me; I was very dubious about the Gelugpa tradition before encountering Dorje Shugden.

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 08:33:45 AM »
The mind of the great 5th and the 14th are no different, it is a continuum I believe. The ban created by the 14th Dalai Lama has made Dorje Shugden one of the most 'famous' deities and well known all over the world. In fact the Great 5th on,y managed to spread DS to the countries traditionally associated with Tibet.

Now the 14th Dalai Lama has spread Dorje Shugden to all over the world. Who has more impact the 14th Dalai Lama of course.

I have no problem with the concept that the 5th and 14th Dalai Lamas are the same mental continuum; however, I am not sure how the 5th Dalai Lama, who had approximately 1000 Kagyu Khenpos (philosophy teachers) murdered has returned from the lower hells this quickly as the 14th?  In other words, I do not see the 5th DL as enlightened. 
  I have posted this link before: the 5th Dalai Lama, in addition to having the Kagyu abbots murdered and forcibly converting the Kagyu monestaries to Gelugpa, also invited Mongol invaders who killed over 7000 of Karmapa's monks; the 10th Karmapa went into exile.
  Please see:
  http://www.karmapa-issue.org/arguments.htm

The open letter to the Dalai Lama from the 2001 Kagyu Conference contains references to the above; So does "A Golden Swan in Turbulent Waters" by Shamar Rinpoche, about the life of the 10th Karmapa, who was contemporary to the 5th Dalai Lama.

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 08:50:34 AM »

Dear Blueuapli,

The great King Dorje Shugden has in fact been prominent in more than just the Gulug lineage and has appeared in various instances in the Nyingma, Kagyu (Drukpa Kagyu) and Sakya lineages.

First, it is well known that the Nyingmas can trace the origins of their lineage to the great Indian Master, Padmasambhava (Guru Rinpoche) and one very visible evidence that the Nyingmas did propitiate Dorje Shugden can be seen in this antique thangka depicting Dorje Shugden surrounded by the Protectors and Yidams of the Nyingma lineage, with Padmasanbhava above Dorje Shugden. Note: Please watch by clicking on the dorjeshugdem.com video server link:

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/videos/miscellaneous/thangka-of-guru-rinpoche-above-dorje-shugden/

Dorje Shugden was also prominent in the Sakya tradition and in fact one of the past incarnations of Dorje Shugden was as Sakya Pandita, the head of the Sakyas.  It is also believed that initially the spirit of Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsen, driven by his Sakya imprints travlled to the Sakyas whereupon Dagchen Dorje Chang Sonam Rinchen, who was the head of the Sakyas at the time recognised Dorje Shugden clearly and enthroned him as a Dharma Protector.  Sakya praises of Dorje Shugden was later composed by the Sakya Master, Kunkhyen Ngawang Kungo Lodroe.

In fact in many accounts, Dorje Shugden was first worshipped by the Sakyas as a Dharma Protector and was inducted into the Sakya pantheon of protectors and together with the other Sakya deities, Dorje Setrab and Tsi’u Marpo, were known as Gyalpo Sum, or The Three Kings who were widely revered within the lineage.

In yet another account, Dorje Shugden was reincarnated directly into the line of the Sakya throneholders itself:

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/great-masters/enlightened-lamas-series/dragshul-trinley-rinchen-1871-1935-the-39th-sakya-trizin/

Regardless of variations to the history of Dorje Shugden in the Sakya lineage, there is no doubt that the protector was very prominent in the lineage in the past.

As for the Drukpa Kagyus, reference to Dorje Shugden is via the great writings by one of the very significant figures in the Drukpa Kagyu sect, Jigme Norbu who was recognized as the mind emanation of Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal who held the honour for being reinstating the independence of Bhutan from Tibet.

Amongst Jigme Norbu’s collection of great works published as The Collected Works of the Fourth Zhabdrung Tulku of Bhutan were writings on rituals and invocations to the Drukpa Kagyu’s pantheon of protectors including Mahakala, Tsering Chenga, Shinkongma, Rahula, Pam Busum, Tsiu Marpo, Palden Lhamo, Chatri Tsengod, Dorje Shugden, and Jagpa Melen.

More recently, the 16th Karmapa H.H. Rangjung Rigpe Dorje was well known to have advised that there will come a time when all will have to depend on Dorje Shugden.

Therefore up until recent times the other lineages other than the Gelugpas, were proven to also have propitiated Dorje Shugden. This may have changed due to political pressure from the powers that be, or due to the jealousy of the other sects of the supremacy on the Gelugs.

Hope this helps.

Further important readings on the subject:

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/great-masters/enlightened-lamas-series/jigme-norbu-1831-1861-the-fourth-zhabdrung-mind-incarnation/

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/great-masters/enlightened-lamas-series/dragshul-trinley-rinchen-1871-1935-the-39th-sakya-trizin/

http://truthaboutshugden.wordpress.com/category/past-masters/sakya-history/

http://www.himalayanart.org/search/set.cfm?setID=490

But it is sad that i find that the Sakyas have whitewashed their history and sort of erased Dorje Shugden from their annals. This is sad as Sakya Trinzin himself has downplayed the role of Dorje Shugden in their lineage when his own father was regarded as an emanation of Dorje Shugden. The current Sakya Trinzin is the reincarnation of Apong Terton Rinpoche, according to history, who agreed to be reborn as the son of the previous Sakya Trinzin when he could not have children. The Nyingmas are somewhat divided to an extent on this issue as many lineages choose to hate Dorje Shugden, while some remain impartial to them.

Actually it is quite a big deal that Penor Rinpoche allowed expelled Shugden monks into his monestary to get supplies; this is a big signal in that culture that Penor Rinpoche (previous incarnation, showed passing away March 2009) prefers to help Buddhism rather than politics.  I think we could find that the Sakyas might have strong Shugden imprints and take up the practice again someday.