Author Topic: Richard Gere & Model Wife To Divorce, Sources Say His Buddhism Created Conflict  (Read 8365 times)

icy

Richard Gere is getting a divorce from his wife of 11 years, and reports say Gere’s Buddhism may have come between he and Carey Lowell.

The 64-year-old actor has not been seen with his 52-year-old wife since a screening of his 2012 film Arbitrage, outside of a January appearance at the Golden Globe Awards. Gere and Lowell have reportedly been “spending time apart for quite some time,” a source said.

Another source said that the social life of Carey Lowell, a model and actress, didn’t mesh well with Richard Gere’s quiet Buddhist lifestyle.

“They have a place in Bedford [New York], and he likes it because it’s quiet and he likes the solitude,” said the insider. “She likes being in North Haven in the limelight. They live next door to Jimmy Buffett and his family, and they’re good friends.”

Gere was raised attending Methodist churches but took an interest in Buddhism in his 20s. He studied Zen Buddhism for several years, but after traveling to Nepal in 1978 Gere met many Tibetan monks and lamas, and afterward took up Tibetan Buddhism.

Today Richard Gere is an activist for human rights in Tibet, co-founding the Tibet House and serving as chairman of the board of directors for the International Campaign for Tibet. As an Academy Awards presenter in 1993, Gere denounced the Chinese government and its treatment of Tibet, and in 2007 called for a boycott of the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

Lowell is best known for her role as Bond girl Pam Bouvier in the James Bond movie Licence to Kill and a role as Assistant District Attorney Jamie Ross on the television drama Law & Order.

Richard Gere has been married once before, a union with Cindy Crawford that ended in 1995. He and Carey Lowell have one child together, a son named Homer.

Pilgrim

• Email
Yes, it can happen... Blessed are those who stay true on their Dharma Journey and those with partners who share the same path, growing together, supporting each other.

cookie

• Email
"Buddhism creates conflict for divorce between Richard Gere and his wife Carey Lowell "

In the theory of IMPERMANENCE one has to part with your loved ones whether at death or whilst alive. Buddhism may have taught Richard and Carey more wisdom. Wisdom for each to be comfortably "alone" to pursue their own interests. If the separation and divorce is amicable and done respectfully with no negative intentions, there is no "conflict", hence don't blame "Buddhism". Others who are ignorant may like to dramatize and sensationalize issues like this just for publicity sake.

Pilgrim

• Email
"Buddhism creates conflict for divorce between Richard Gere and his wife Carey Lowell "

In the theory of IMPERMANENCE one has to part with your loved ones whether at death or whilst alive. Buddhism may have taught Richard and Carey more wisdom. Wisdom for each to be comfortably "alone" to pursue their own interests. If the separation and divorce is amicable and done respectfully with no negative intentions, there is no "conflict", hence don't blame "Buddhism". Others who are ignorant may like to dramatize and sensationalize issues like this just for publicity sake.

Very well said, Cookie!!!  :)

pgdharma

In every marriage or love relationship, we expect our partners to share our thoughts, insights and desires with us, but most likely this is not the case. If a couple enters into marriage and adheres to Buddhism's ethical prescriptions for marital and family life, than divorce becomes a non-issue. If, however, a couple refuses to follow the ethical prescriptions, is unable to live in peace, harmony, and mutuality with one another, it is preferable for the marriage to be broken than for the marriage to destroy the couple or the family. If a couple is not compatible they should move on as nothing is permanent.  They should work hard to be sure no one is harmed in the process. Thus for Richard Gere and his wife Carey Lowell, it is better for them to pursue their own interest and be happy with their lives.

kris

Eventually, all marriage will come to an end, either by divorce or by death. From a secular point of view, it may seem that Buddhism is getting into the way of a marriage, but from my experience and observation, many things can get into the way of a marriage, like work, etc.

To me, Buddhism has taught me that renounce does not mean to get a divorce, instead, we are in a relationship, but we are not attached to the relationship, and we are not affected by the relationship.

Rihanna

[Well said Kris. I share your opinion. I think we shouldn't be presumptuous and jump into our own conclusions that it was Buddhism that caused the divorce. Perhaps she married him for the wrong reasons??? Anyways, I like it that he is Buddhist and a progressive philanthropist.]

Eventually, all marriage will come to an end, either by divorce or by death. From a secular point of view, it may seem that Buddhism is getting into the way of a marriage, but from my experience and observation, many things can get into the way of a marriage, like work, etc.

To me, Buddhism has taught me that renounce does not mean to get a divorce, instead, we are in a relationship, but we are not attached to the relationship, and we are not affected by the relationship.
[/quote]

Positive Change

Such is the truth of impermanence.... nothing in life we can take with us at death but our karma and merit. I am sure a practitioner like Richard Gere knows full well. However, does this mean we all look at life with a bleakness that is to propel us into depression and uselessness. I do not believe so, as we should look at what impermanence reminds us of. It reminds us of the fragility of life, the sufferings of samsara and to highlight to us that nothing apart from Dharma has any fruition! Rejoice that we are able to make such distinctions and clarity!

fruven

Report says? Whose report? Did Gere blame it on Buddhism? Did his wife blame it on Buddhism? No one sentence in the news mentioned an interview of the reasons of divorce. It is rumors and speculations by someone to create sensational news. Blaming on Buddhism is not going to solve anything as Dharma taught that everything comes internally from our side. Why not put some good Buddhist advices for couple in a relationship to create more harmony and understanding?

yontenjamyang

• Email
It is rather presumptuous to say Buddhism created conflict for this divorce. There are 2 reasons why I say this.

First, Buddhism never teach any of its followers to leave their family. It teaches that once in a marriage, the partners must respect each other and be in harmony with each other so that the path of practice is smooth. Otherwise, obstacles to the practice will arise. This is rather common sense. The marriage itself can be part of the practice. And the other partner may not need to be a buddhist for this to work.

Secondly, divorce can happen for many reason. What was stated here is that Richard Gere like to have a quite life as oppose to the lifestyle of Carey. Perhaps his reasons are due to his Buddhist way of life. But Buddhism itself is not the cause. He still could apply his understanding of Buddhism to save his marriage.

For me, it is just part of life. Samsara.

icy

Richard Gere is a devout Buddhist and he is over 60 years old.  I doubt he would want to be dragged down by his marriage but instead choose to intensify his practice at this age.  As I see it, after all a true practitioner will understand the true phenomenon of impermanence....what else is left to do at his age?

Blueupali

• Email
Richard Gere is a devout Buddhist and he is over 60 years old.  I doubt he would want to be dragged down by his marriage but instead choose to intensify his practice at this age.  As I see it, after all a true practitioner will understand the true phenomenon of impermanence....what else is left to do at his age?

Not just at his age, but even sooner.  Whether Buddhists are ordained or lay, they are generally better off, obviously, with  more time for practice.  Milarepa, for instance, didn't ordain, but lived alone in caves.  Whatever works to get the practicing done. 
  It's be neat if he'd ask the Dalai Lama to lift the Shugden ban.  Not because I would imagine that he practices it, but since he wants human rights in Tibet---- everyone can say prayers okay....