Author Topic: Too many practices  (Read 13188 times)

DharmaDefender

Re: Too many practices
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 06:21:25 PM »
From what I have been told, i have to create the cause for the right guru to appear for me too, so I am studying at my own pace, and there's lots of information online. Of course this is one of my favourite websites!

I do feel a distinct draw to the east - so maybe I will go to India and check out Shar Gaden and Serpom Monasteries. I have considered going to the Trijang institute too. I'm saving like mad at the moment but i do believe my opportunity will come as long as i work for it.

Well then goes to reason (Im all about the reason), if you have to create the causes for the right guru, then what you do this in this lifetime counts for your next life too. So when people try to get me to badmouth teachers, sorry mate but Im not willing to end up a cockroach in a lama's room, close to him but unable to receive the Dharma because of my attachments!!

WB, take me with?

G.

Damian.D

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 04:58:15 PM »
Yes I too am drawn to the east... I don't know why, but mysterious East is soo much more rich and lively and the wild west. There is a sense of spirituality just by the name and the cultures in that part of the world. A history that has asked the questions of the mind rather than using the mind for pleasure / attachment pursuits portrayed throughout history in the West.

Take me too, Nepal, India, Tibet, China, Japan, Taiwan, South East Asia, Sri Lanka.

One day soon please, I hope and pray.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 11:30:30 AM »
I think the best way to get a Guru is to create the causes for it by:

1) not disparaging the teachers of others

and

2) whatever advice that has been received by a spiritual friend practice that...

Doing the prayer Calling the Lama From Afar by Pabongkha is also VERY powerful...Thats how i met my current precious Lama.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 04:25:30 PM »
I am one of those who has a problem with too many practices and rituals to follow.  Fortunately I have a Guru and being such a great and attained Being, my Guru knows what I am like and as such gave me the practice of Dorje Shugden as one and all for me.

Being a Buddha, Dorje Shugden can be Guru, Protector and Yidam.  What a wonderful practice.

psylotripitaka

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 04:13:33 AM »
Dondrup Shugden,

Though we regard Dorje Shugden as the embodiment of our Guru, Yidam, and Protector, and even though we recognize Dorje Shugden as Yamantaka and the Guhyasamaja body mandala, I have never heard of him being relied upon as an actual Yidam in practice via generation and completion stage. If you have been given instructions on self-generation as Dorje Shugden, I'm sure many people here would be interested to know such a thing exists.

Otherwise, though we regard him as embodying the 3, it is that functioning as a Dharmapala, he is to be viewed as our Guru and Yidam appearing as a Protector. If we don't have a Yidam, he will make arrangements for us to meet our Yidam. Then, we can practice the generation and completion stage yoga of the Guru-Deity, and when relying on the Protector, we understand his real nature as that of our Guru-Deity, and in this way this view itself enables Dorje Shugden to help us realize mahamudra and protect that realization through stabilization.

But if you know of this Protector as an actual Yidam prwctice, please let us know!

As for too many practices, in one sense it doesn't matter what we choose to practice because it all contributes to the final realization, so we should simply practice what we're guided to by the outer and inner Guru. That said, it is very useful to practice condensed meditation on Lamrim, lojong, and secret mantra via Lama Chopa or condensed prayers of the stages of the path, with special concentration on particular trainings we're moved to emphasize.

If we sow all the seeds together, they will also ripen and grow together.