Author Topic: We need to be 21st century Buddhists: Dalai Lama  (Read 12452 times)

bonfire

Re: We need to be 21st century Buddhists: Dalai Lama
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 01:40:41 AM »
We aspire to be 21st century Buddhists.
And we aspire for the CTA to be 21st century driven too.
Some thoughts:

1. remove itself from any religious matters
2. remove itself from any political matters and become a cultural organisation caring and representing the Tibetans in exile and bridging them with the Tibetans in China without any political agenda.
3. treat the Tibetans in exile equally without prejudice to their religious views.

vajrastorm

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 10:26:36 AM »
When HH Dalai Lama says that he would prefer "building centres of learning than monasteries", he was referring to learning centres as places to learn and acquire knowledge be it of philosophy of Buddhism or Daoism or even secular ethics. Monasteries are places to nurture the Sangha, holders of vows, and the Third Jewel. Knowledge, the Dalai Lama feels, is important. The mind must be used to the maximum in Dharma practice. That Dharma practice must be founded on knowledge, which guides motivation.

As the Dalai Lama says, " We need to be 21st century Buddhists. Buddhist practice is to use our intelligence to the maximum to transform our emotions. For this, knowledge is very important."Only by transforming our negative emotions and the 'poisons' of anger, hatred, jealousy,attachment , craving and ignorance, to positive ones of love and care and equanimity, can we move out of suffering to peace and happiness. So we do need the knowledge that comes from learning.

Rihanna

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 01:36:19 AM »
When one reads or hears the word '21st century', the first thing that comes to mind is digital revolution, freedom, global economy, borderless world, human rights, modern, absence of Communism, etc. Before we even talk about how and where to practice to be 21st century Buddhists, pause and ponder, are we really in the 21st century when we do not even have freedom to pick our Dharma Protector???

icy

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 04:58:53 AM »
As we can see Shugden practioners are truly 21st century Buddhists but the Dalai Lama clique is not.  By enforcing the Shugden ban, causing a religious apartheid, division, hardship, suffering, torment, fear and agonising pain are not what a Buddhist would do not to mention a 21st century Buddhist.

However, arising from the ban, we see 21st century Shugden practioners are tolerant, patient, kind, compassionate, committed, brave and strong, loyal and uphold their vows well.  In the adversity positive qualities of Shugden practioners shine like stars in the night sky - how beautiful. 

Oh my Lord Dorje Shugden, please keep 21st century Shugden practioners safe and sound in your arms until everyone reaches enlightenment.

Gabby Potter

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 04:54:11 AM »
In my opinion, especially for the fact that we are in the 21st century now, I think we even deserve religious freedom. Freedom of religion is not when we are segregated and discriminated, I hope that more people would see the issue and speak up, it's very important that we speak up now and as long as we are consistent with teh work we are doing now. I believe that we can make a difference.