Author Topic: TGIE not a democracy  (Read 3820 times)

vajralight

TGIE not a democracy
« on: April 02, 2010, 10:25:39 AM »

TO QUOTE JAMYANG NORBU from www.jamyangnorbu.com

"KP, Pema bum and others, thanks for the support, but I think the examples of Manmohahan Singh and Abraham Lincoln are definitely not applicable in our case.

As I have said before, the hard reality is that our system is not a democracy. The most important qualification for being kalon tripa is absolute loyalty to the Middle Way Approach. Even minor disagreement or opposition to the Dalai Lama’s policy, means going against the Dalai Lama and committing political suicide. There is no room for dissent. Only on secondary issues, like selling off government businesses, can a kalon tripa (like Samdong) take personal initiative.

I can say this with some authority since I worked in Dharamshala since the late sixties and know the system inside out – and have experienced it first hand.

I will post an analysis of our current exile political system in a month or so, and also provide what I believe might be a workable solution to the depressing political quagmire that we are slowly sinking in."

vajra

honeydakini

Re: TGIE not a democracy
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 05:25:52 PM »
It is hard really, to see where the TGIE will sustain or continue after the passing of the Dalai Lama. Many of the younger generation (from what i have read and observed and also learnt from talking to a few Tibetans) is that many of them aren't really that interested in these old politics. Tibetans are now all over the world anyway, from Switzerland, to various parts of Asia to America and they are aligning themselves more and more with the citizenship of those countries. Many aren't even born anywhere near Tibetan communities or the TGIE.

It is interesting when you go to Tibetan forums or even when you meet Tibetans - many of them don't really talk about the politics (and those that do, don't really make sense or talk with any sort of logic, and usually just seem very fanatical); they just want to live their lives, especially the younger generation. Even with all the ban of DS there is a large and substantial number of Tibetans who don't want to get involved in commenting or taking sides. As they are living away from the central hubs of India and Nepal, it's not really a problem for them to continue to practise anyway, so they just continue to live as normal citizens of whichever country they're in.

Anyway, if we're looking towards spiritual guidance, it certainly won't be TGIE, that's clear!