Author Topic: Tulku Theory  (Read 7852 times)

thor

Tulku Theory
« on: March 04, 2010, 09:11:11 PM »
Do the Tibetans have a way of determining the "high-ness" of a Tulku? Is it the number of incarnations or the greatness of the deeds that make the difference. An ordinary monk may produce great achievements, build a tremendous number of temples and monasteries, give initiations to thousands in his lifetime but would that mean that he is attained enough to take a controlled rebirth? Or make the good seeds from his previous lives attainments bear fruit?

I have heard that in the monasteries, those tulkus that do not manifest any qualities of a tulku are (sorry to say) left on the regular cushions and although they are a Rinpoche in name, they are treated like ordinary sangha. Which is kinda strange ... I would have thought that being in the monastery would be excellent fertile soil for those seeds to sprout!

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
Re: Tulku Theory
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 01:32:49 AM »
This is the first time I’ve heard about Tulku left sitting on the cushion, interesting to know.

I’d like to refer to a more specific usage of tulku that is the recognised yangsi, or the child who is recognized as the reincarnation of a particular recently deceased lama. Traditionally in Tibet, the newly recognized tulku would be installed in the same position as the previous incarnation such as the abbot of a particular monastery. They would be recognised as the “rebirth” of the person who had previously held the monastic seat in question and would take up again the work, teachings and administration which had been interrupted by the death of the previous incarnation.

In the last few centuries, most seats of abbots were held by tulkus, and the prestige of the monasteries depended mainly on the stature of the tulku who resided and taught there. So in relation to the “highness”, I have heard before that it depends on the recognition the tulkus received from the institutions, e.g. there is a big difference if was the abbot of a provincial monastery compared to if one was the abbot of the 3 great monasteries of Sera, Drepung and Ganden, but I do not know much about this. 

I’ve read before in the book “Buddhism, reincarnation, and Dalai Lamas of Tibet” by M.G. Chitkara that very high Tulkus are primarily emanation of body, speech, mind, quality of action.

A body Tulku is one whom the physical presence is very strong, whereas a speech Tulku would be one with the special gift of teaching the Dharma. A mind Tulku has the clarity and depth of awareness and the a quality Tulku would be one who outward manifestation is particularly brilliant and regal.  There’s also the action Tulku who is very effective at outward activities of administration and politics.

Alexander Berzin gave a clearer explanation in Relating to a Spiritual Teacher: Building a Healthy Relationship, (Snow Lion, 2000),

“Tulkus are the reincarnations of highly advanced tantric practitioners, such practitioners need not necessarily have been great spiritual teachers, nor monks or nuns. They may have been lay meditators, for instance, who lived alone as hermits in caves.

To start a line of tulkus requires usually only four conditions: (1) foreknowledge that recognition of one's future incarnations will be beneficial to others, (2) well-developed bodhichitta as the motivation, (3) sincere prayers to take rebirth in a form, beneficial to others, which will be recognized as a tulku, and (4) a certain degree of mastery of the first stage of the highest class of tantra.”

It was also mentioned in the book that just as Buddhas manifest in a spectrum of emanation, Tulkus too generate as what is called  “a network of pathway-level emanations”. The Tulku may have achieved a certain level of spiritual attainment from part of the generation stage to Buddhahood. Thus, they do not necessarily are enlightened or have understood voidness/ realised emptiness.  It should be noted that only a tiny fraction of the founders of Tulku lines comprises enlightened beings.

So, from that understanding, majority of Tulkus will still have negative karmic potentials or imprints in the midst or sea of positive merit/instincts. Thus, their upbringing, environmental influence and also education will cause different potentials to come forth and ripen, just like any of us.

Having said that, by the force of their meditation and prayers of the founder of their lines at the time of death, their next incarnations may still be recognised as Rinpoches by masters who deemed that the recognition would bring benefit.

Perhaps someone who's familiar with the traditional Tibetan monastery hierarchical order of Tulku can share more about the actual "levels" of recognition?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:35:12 AM by Vajraprotector »

honeydakini

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 05:13:35 PM »
I am not really certain about how their "highness" is determined... but I do remember that there are different levels of recognition - i.e. you could be recognised just by your small little village monastery with 40 monks, or you could be recognised by the larger monastic universities such as Sera, Drepung and Gaden, a large difference being the number of monks in the monastery that recognise you and also that these are the main monasteries of the gelugpa tradition (in this case).

Also, in answer to the "rinpoches being left on the cushion": Yes, I have heard and seen that before. What is interesting within the gelugpa system is that although you may be recognised as a reincarnation of so-and-so, you still need to prove it in this life by your action. Gelugpas remain firm in not placing too much emphasis on the mystical aspects of things, so recognition is not enough to garner you lifelong respect. Reincarnated lamas must also prove themselves, their knowledge and their practice by their deeds within that lifetime - this could be through their teachings for example, charitable works, great retreats etc.

DSFriend

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 07:55:13 PM »
Reading this post brings to mind how Pabongkha Rinpoche's previous incarnation in his early years was not "successful" in his studies until much later. (though we know that Pabongkha Rinpoche has a long line of incarnations) Is this deliberate manifestation?

Anyhow, I love how Tsongkhapa grounds us by focusing on study and practice.

Big Uncle

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 08:09:04 PM »
I heard that it is very democratic in the Gelug monasteries. Ordinary monks who study hard and practice diligently can move up in rank, first as a Geshe, then disciplinarian, then Lead Chanter and then Abbot and so on. However, there are rinpoches that had established themselves for many lifetimes, thus receiving a 'high recognition'. In spite of all that, many Rinpoches remain unnoticed in the monastery because they do not manifest much that reflect their incarnation but we really don't have the wisdom to judge what they are doing. 

However, there are some incarnations of the Dalai Lama that are quiet and some who manifest a lot. This goes with all the established Rinpoches.

dsnowlion

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »
With any title comes responsibilities. Hence what all of you say makes sense. What is the point of being recognised as a Tulku but the Tulku does not continue what he is suppose to do. I have also heard that some Tulku's can even go 'crazy' if they are not given the right education and right nurturing ground for them to grow to be who they should be. They would also have shorter lives as this life that they did not manifest their purpose would seem wasted - they have karma. Wow... it is incredible they expectations demanded in a Tulku.

However if there was no Tulkus or recognition of such esteem beings (that is those that do continue their path) then how would people be able to see examples of reincarnated high Lamas? And it is also in this way that the line of pure lineage and teachings continues to be well preserved in its authenticity.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 06:36:56 AM »

Beneath the concrete,
Are Flowers,
Waiting to be born.

Hi Lhakpa Gyaltshen,

I liked very much the last three lines - the Guru is needed as a pneumatic drill to get through the concrete!

I am not really certain about how their "highness" is determined... but I do remember that there are different levels of recognition - i.e. you could be recognised just by your small little village monastery with 40 monks, or you could be recognised by the larger monastic universities such as Sera, Drepung and Gaden, a large difference being the number of monks in the monastery that recognise you and also that these are the main monasteries of the gelugpa tradition (in this case).

Hi Honeydakini,

Just to add re the different levels of recognition:

Dratsang Tulkus are recognised by the college.
Tsokchen Tulkus are recognised by the whole monastery
Shigoen Tulkus are recognised by their own region in Tibet.

i think that an acknowledgement of rank of the tulku is sometimes a formality. Aside from tulkus who are recognised at birth, other seemingly ordinary people can be told on sight by other high Lamas that they are a tulku, and on further investigation, the status will be confirmed by the college or khangtsen, other high lamas, divinations and the Dharma Protector.

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 01:05:09 PM »
It is indeed a wonderful system set up by the high lamas in order to bring benefit to sentient beings. The Tulku system helps the Lama to plan for consecutive lifetimes in order to help people. If there's a line of established incarnations, it will be easier for the incarnation to be reborn in a conducive place and condition to continue his previous life's work rather than to start everything all over again. I like it in the Gelug system that even though there are established high incarnations within the school, Je Tsongkhapa's tradition of focusing on study and practice helps to build more enlightened individuals. Hence, the line of Gaden Tripas exist with us until today carrying this sacred legacy.

Dorje Shugden is a tulku too!
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 01:54:17 PM »
It is indeed a wonderful system set up by the high lamas in order to bring benefit to sentient beings. The Tulku system helps the Lama to plan for consecutive lifetimes in order to help people. If there's a line of established incarnations, it will be easier for the incarnation to be reborn in a conducive place and condition to continue his previous life's work rather than to start everything all over again. I like it in the Gelug system that even though there are established high incarnations within the school, Je Tsongkhapa's tradition of focusing on study and practice helps to build more enlightened individuals. Hence, the line of Gaden Tripas exist with us until today carrying this sacred legacy.

Dorje Shugden is a tulku too!

i like what you said about it being easier for tulkus to continue their previous life's work. if a tulku is not recognised, it will be more difficult for him or her to raise the resources to continue their Dharma path. i've read about some monks who were literally starving until they were recognised as reincarnated high lamas and were immediately given access to sponsors and help so that they were able to achieve their full potential.

The Gelug tradition of having the Gaden Tripa as an elected position is truly proof of meritocracy - that anyone who is willing to study hard and commit can rise to the highest position of the Gelugpa school.

Some Tulkus are not scholastic but because of their high attainments, are able to spread the Dharma and transform people's minds. They will use different methods to reach different people. The Tulku system should be assessed by its results.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 11:31:35 PM »
I don't know much about Tulku system, but I do think that sometimes what a Tulku manifest, is very much dependant on the students, or the "audience" .

Perhaps a high scholar is of not much use in a village - showing miracles & ability to do divination might be more persuasive to increase faith than scholarly debate, while a Tulku who can teach the Dharma well in the monastery will be much more respected than one who doesn't manifest as a Dharma teacher.

Perhaps they have their objectives & missions in life but the students are not up to it? And like what Wisdom Being said, when the environmental factors are there & conditions are ripe, they can then do what they are supposed to do.

Just my few cents worth...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:35:15 PM by Vajraprotector »