Author Topic: CTA Welcomes UN’s Statement  (Read 4985 times)

icy

CTA Welcomes UN’s Statement
« on: November 04, 2012, 11:04:07 AM »
“The Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) based in Dharamsala is encouraged by the powerful statement of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay, on Friday,” said Sikyong Dr. Lobsang Sangay. Ms Pillay has strongly urged the Chinese government to “promptly address the longstanding grievances that have led to an alarming escalation in desperate forms of protest, including self-immolations, in Tibetan areas.” She was disturbed by “continuing allegations of violence against Tibetans seeking to exercise their fundamental human rights.”

The CTA considers the statement as true recognition of the urgent and tragic situation in Tibet.

Further, the CTA notes that the UN High Commissioner, inter alia, had:

several exchanges with the Chinese government on serious human rights violations in Tibet, including UN Convention of the Rights of a Child;
recognised Tibetans’ intense sense of frustration and despair which led them to take drastic steps and urge the Chinese government to allow Tibetans freedom of expression;
urged the Chinese government to provide access to independent monitors and media to assess the actual conditions in the Tibetan region; urged the Chinese government to facilitate the pending 12 outstanding requests for official visits to China by UN Special Rapporteurs on human rights, to which the Chinese government has pledged to cooperate before the UN Human Rights Council.
We are confident that the UN will take the afore-mentioned issues to their logical conclusion with the Chinese leadership.

In addition, in view of the desperate and unprecedented spate of self-immolations by Tibetans due to China’s repressive policies and the continued intransigence of the Chinese leadership to the relentless efforts of UNHRC, we appeal to the 47-member states of the UNHRC to convene a special session on Tibet.

icy

Re: CTA Welcomes UN’s Statement
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 11:06:01 AM »
CTA Welcomes UN’s Statement and Urges to Convene a Special Session of UN Human Rights Council.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 02:55:39 PM »
The statement by the UN High Commissioner of Human Rights is definitely a welcome statement and it would appear that the self sacrifice of so many self immolators are not in vain. However, this is only a statement and there much to do yet, and it is very much up to the CTA to continue to garner international support and to pushing their case to the UN and the world.

If CTA is to take the high road and cry foul over human rights abuse against the Tibetans by the Chinese, they must realize that their victimization of Dorje Shugden practitioners for decades now, will return to haunt them. How ridiculous to point to China's crimes with hands tarnished by the blood spilled by so many Shugdenpas. It is time for Sikyong Lobsang Sangay to repair the damage starting from the lifting of the ban. By lifting the ban, Dr Lonbsag Sangay will not only reverse an illegal ban, he will also immediately unify all Tibetans under one cause and at the same time show the Chinese and the World that he is able to govern without having to hide under the Dalai Lama's robes.

It is not only a politically astute move, it also happens to be a morally correct one.

dsiluvu

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 02:35:54 PM »
The statement by the UN High Commissioner of Human Rights is definitely a welcome statement and it would appear that the self sacrifice of so many self immolators are not in vain. However, this is only a statement and there much to do yet, and it is very much up to the CTA to continue to garner international support and to pushing their case to the UN and the world.

If CTA is to take the high road and cry foul over human rights abuse against the Tibetans by the Chinese, they must realize that their victimization of Dorje Shugden practitioners for decades now, will return to haunt them. How ridiculous to point to China's crimes with hands tarnished by the blood spilled by so many Shugdenpas. It is time for Sikyong Lobsang Sangay to repair the damage starting from the lifting of the ban. By lifting the ban, Dr Lonbsag Sangay will not only reverse an illegal ban, he will also immediately unify all Tibetans under one cause and at the same time show the Chinese and the World that he is able to govern without having to hide under the Dalai Lama's robes.

It is not only a politically astute move, it also happens to be a morally correct one.

I couldn't agree with your views more Vajratruth! It is quite disgustingly hypocritical of the CTA to actually cry wolf about freedom when they are the ones murdering their own kind due to a silly disagreement in faith. This is the 21st century last I checked, and how can people swallow the bull they are even Buddhist when they treat their own people with such discrimination??? This I do not get and why is the UN letting them get away with this? Why is the UN letting the CTA get away with the way they treat Dorje Shugden practitioners who are Tibetans? To be chased out of your own home, be rejected from going to scholl or to receive medical aid and welfare and to be not allowed to even step foot in shops to get your daily needs is OK??? Is that what the UN is condoning?

I agree about China needing to losen up and allow more freedom/Human Rights to the Tibetans but I disagree with the deception of the CTA they portray to the world as though they are so compassionate and kind. Because they are NOT.

In any democratic govern laws this is a huge discrepency and no one would tolerate this. Looks like the Dorje Shugden practitioners are the one's practicing Dharma cos we are tolerating this!!!

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 03:00:15 AM »
I am sorry but I think that all this is more political based than compassion based. There have been countless letters sent to the United Nations, to Amnesty etc regarding the plight of Dorje Shugden practitioners. Yet nothing is done. Perhaps nobody will stand up to the Dalai Lama’s ban on this holy practice. Perhaps it is not politically correct, or at least politically expedient, to criticise the Dalai Lama since he has become such a popular public icon of ‘peace’.

Whatever reasons that these ‘humanitarian’ organisations have for not standing up for the minority group of Dorje Shugden practitioners who are completely unfairly discriminated against, their lack of action is unjustifiable. The CTA should introspect and behave like the secular body it is meant to be - to ensure there is religious freedom and mutual respect in the Tibetan diaspora.

A different perspective: the self-immolators chose their actions – nobody forced them. Dorje Shugden practitioners did not choose to be discriminated against.

It’s about time the CTA and all these human rights organisations stood up for Dorje Shugden practitioners just because it is the right thing to do.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »
I am sorry but I think that all this is more political based than compassion based. There have been countless letters sent to the United Nations, to Amnesty etc regarding the plight of Dorje Shugden practitioners. Yet nothing is done. Perhaps nobody will stand up to the Dalai Lama’s ban on this holy practice. Perhaps it is not politically correct, or at least politically expedient, to criticise the Dalai Lama since he has become such a popular public icon of ‘peace’.

Whatever reasons that these ‘humanitarian’ organisations have for not standing up for the minority group of Dorje Shugden practitioners who are completely unfairly discriminated against, their lack of action is unjustifiable. The CTA should introspect and behave like the secular body it is meant to be - to ensure there is religious freedom and mutual respect in the Tibetan diaspora.

A different perspective: the self-immolators chose their actions – nobody forced them. Dorje Shugden practitioners did not choose to be discriminated against.

It’s about time the CTA and all these human rights organisations stood up for Dorje Shugden practitioners just because it is the right thing to do.

My sentiments exactly. Why does the UN look into the Tibet issue but conveniently ignore the fact that many Tibetans are being discriminated against just for being Dorje Shugden practitioners? The whole thing actually feels fishy to me. There is even documented video footage of the destruction and violence of the Dalai Lama's followers, the so called followers of the world's symbol of peace, posting death threats on Dorje Shugden followers and destroying their homes. Its amazing how they can ignore all those.