Author Topic: Kangso, Who's who?  (Read 13625 times)

DharmaDefender

Re: Kangso, Who's who?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 09:57:32 PM »
Shakyamuni doesn't wear jewels. What does "many jeweled one" really mean?

I understand 'jeweled' to mean 'endowed with the qualities of Enlightenment' or 'endowed with the Three Jewels of Buddha, Dharma and Sangha'.

I understand that the symbology of jewels in Buddhist imagery stands to reflect the enlightened qualities they embody. for bodhisattvas in particular, the 6 ornaments that they are adorned with correspond to the 6 paramitas. Am not sure if this is the case for Shakyamuni also though?

That's what I've been taught to believe as well, which is the reason why we offer jewels on altars. It's to create the causes for us to receive the real jewels (dharmic attainments). But like Midakpa pointed out, Shakyamuni doesn't wear jewels...

thor

Re: Kangso, Who's who?
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 11:44:06 PM »
Shakyamuni doesn't wear jewels. What does "many jeweled one" really mean?

I understand 'jeweled' to mean 'endowed with the qualities of Enlightenment' or 'endowed with the Three Jewels of Buddha, Dharma and Sangha'.

I understand that the symbology of jewels in Buddhist imagery stands to reflect the enlightened qualities they embody. for bodhisattvas in particular, the 6 ornaments that they are adorned with correspond to the 6 paramitas. Am not sure if this is the case for Shakyamuni also though?

That's what I've been taught to believe as well, which is the reason why we offer jewels on altars. It's to create the causes for us to receive the real jewels (dharmic attainments). But like Midakpa pointed out, Shakyamuni doesn't wear jewels...

Jowo Rinpoche...