Author Topic: Coypright-Important Statement from Admin  (Read 12219 times)

Mana

Coypright-Important Statement from Admin
« on: December 18, 2010, 06:57:23 AM »
Dear all,

Over the years, since this website was first started, we have received many articles, photos, videos and materials from various people who have come across the site.

Some of the articles or materials are signed off by individuals; some are anonymous or just sent in. Either way, we know that the articles come with a sincere wish to share information and resources with others. Thank you for your effort and for thinking of others.

Every one of the articles submitted is looked at by our editorial team. If we find the views, interpretations, thoughts or translations beneficial, relevant and not contrary to the mission of this website, we will be happy to post up these submissions. Some of the articles are just submitted and later we find people complaining it is their's. All Dorje Shugden websites share somehow each other's information, quotes, videos and articles. It should be done happily. Whichever seeker finds whichever website/blogsite, then let the information be there for them to learn about the authentic practice of Dorje Shugden and how illogical the ban is. That is the point of these sites. These sites are not for showing off our knowledge or basking in the praise of how scholarly we are. It is for the dissemination of this great lineage.

Wherever we can, we have credited the original source or author of the article / materials. Occasionally, we receive complaints that articles were not given credit even though we had already prominently placed the original site or book where the information had come from. 

What we wish to say is that on an ultimate level, it should not matter if our names are attached to these articles or not. If an article is relevant, accurate, beneficial, an inspiration to other fellow Dharma practitioners, and being shared with so many people all over the world, isn’t that the most important thing? We cannot take our names, acknowledgments, credits etc with us when we die but we can contribute something very beneficial now to others, so why get petty over small things like this?

If you have written something very good, which is so beneficial to others for their Dharma journey, but you squabble over certain details, name and credit, it does not really reflect much on your practice, humility or cutting down your ego. Who is making money from your work? No one.  And who will benefit from your work? Everyone.  Do you want others to benefit from your work no matter if you get credit or not? You should.

We have even had people blurt legal action or write in to make trouble over their articles. Eventually, the administration decided to remove their articles completely not because we are scared but because we feel very sorry for the people who are causing these trouble. We remove the articles so it does not hurt their minds anymore and cause them to do even more negativities. We figure if they don't want their articles to reach a greater mass, that is their choice and it is truly sad for them if they even realize it. In Buddhism everything is plagiarzied from the original Buddha Himself anyway.

This is a spiritual site, a place for like-minded Dharma practitioners to gather. If you had any query or wished for certain credits to be placed, please just contact us and talk to us about it. It is unnecessary to become rude or make unpleasant comments to other visitors of this website. We urge you to please contemplate this more. Reacting in this way is not good for your own practice. Then, the articles do not become of benefit anymore but sadly, become just another tool for making our egos and attachments bigger.

Dorjeshugden.com is NOT out to make a profit in any way and our only wish is to make resources available to other spiritual friends so that they can gain more understanding, hope and more knowledge to strengthen their study, practices, Dorje Shugden's authentic lineage, and Guru Devotion. We always welcome people to share more information and continue submitting material. We will use it only to benefit others and we hope you can share in this same mission with us.

Mana

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
Re: Coypright-Important Statement from Admin
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 07:46:59 AM »

Dear Web team,

You can do whatever you like with my write ups. Whether you put TK on the end of it or not does not matter at all. I agree, I just want our lineage to grow.

May everyone benefit from my posts always.

TK

Lineageholder

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 08:16:04 AM »
Dear Mana,

It's common courtesy to acknowledge the source of any materials that you reference. It's also an academic practice to reference third party materials.  It's not necessarily due to ego that someone might want you to do that - for example, if you post a weblink, the person has the choice of investigating the source for themselves and may discover even more useful views and information, so it's a kindness and also extremely useful to acknowledge your sources.

What reason would you have for not doing this?

Atishas cook

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 09:20:24 AM »
hi -

i certainly agree with the sentiments expressed by Mana here that our intention always is to protect and help our lineages and practice strengthen and flourish.  and TK shows a wonderful, humble example here too.  may i ask, though, on behalf of all those seekers after truth who will come here in the future, that every effort is made always to credit TK and link to his superb dorjeshugdenhistory.com site!  :-)

as Lineageholder says, giving credit helps readers to check and validate the information in a piece, and can only benefit those readers and our lineages.  i don't think Mana is suggesting here that credit wouldn't be given, though, where possible.

Atishas cook

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 07:01:09 PM »
oops!  just been told that i might have mistaken your identity, there, tk!  sorry about that, if so - i've always simply assumed that your initials stood for Trinley Kalsang, author of the DS history website i mentioned!

falling foul of my unexamined assumptions again...

Mana

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 05:29:39 AM »
Dear Mana,

It's common courtesy to acknowledge the source of any materials that you reference. It's also an academic practice to reference third party materials.  It's not necessarily due to ego that someone might want you to do that - for example, if you post a weblink, the person has the choice of investigating the source for themselves and may discover even more useful views and information, so it's a kindness and also extremely useful to acknowledge your sources.

What reason would you have for not doing this?

Every item we recieve, we post a link and credit. There are ones we receive and we do not get any links attached, but the information is good so we put it up anyhow. But only in the recent past one person complained that they were not credited, when they were, so we removed it. It was sad as their information would have benefitted.

thaimonk

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 05:38:00 AM »
hi -

i certainly agree with the sentiments expressed by Mana here that our intention always is to protect and help our lineages and practice strengthen and flourish.  and TK shows a wonderful, humble example here too.  may i ask, though, on behalf of all those seekers after truth who will come here in the future, that every effort is made always to credit TK and link to his superb dorjeshugdenhistory.com site!  :-)

as Lineageholder says, giving credit helps readers to check and validate the information in a piece, and can only benefit those readers and our lineages.  i don't think Mana is suggesting here that credit wouldn't be given, though, where possible.

Oh I see, there were some ok articles I read and then after a few days it was pulled from this spectacular and dynamic website that shares information from everyone (great platform). I messaged what happened to Admin, they replied briefly author not happy they were not credited. I thought what??? Not happy they weren't credited? Whose making money off of this I thought?  It is for knowledge. But there were credits to the articles pulled. I read them.

So that person was the author of dorjeshugdenhistory.com site who was not happy. I was wondering who would be so unhappy as it is for dharma and knowledge. You solve the mystery for me AC. Thanks.

thaimonk

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 05:42:28 AM »

and TK shows a wonderful, humble example here too.  may i ask, though, on behalf of all those seekers after truth who will come here in the future, that every effort is made always to credit TK and link to his superb dorjeshugdenhistory.com site!  :-)

I guess you guys are friends and one group. This explains alot.

Atishas cook

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 06:39:40 AM »
I guess you guys are friends and one group. This explains alot.

actually, not so.  i don't know Trinley Kalsang, and i'm pretty sure he's not a member of my tradition.

i also have no idea who it was who complained about not being credited.

Mohani

• duldzin
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 12:00:39 PM »
Hi AC,
Yes Trinley is not a part of the NKT. As far as I know he got banned from this forum for not towing the line that was being heavily enforced this year since the large infux of Tsems students who were all singing from the same hymn sheet. He became dis-illusioned with the agenda of this website and un-happy with the work he had done being used on it.
He is still active in cyber space in other places.
x

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 04:23:26 PM »
Dear all,

Over the years, since this website was first started, we have received many articles, photos, videos and materials from various people who have come across the site.

Some of the articles or materials are signed off by individuals; some are anonymous or just sent in. Either way, we know that the articles come with a sincere wish to share information and resources with others. Thank you for your effort and for thinking of others.

Every one of the articles submitted is looked at by our editorial team. If we find the views, interpretations, thoughts or translations beneficial, relevant and not contrary to the mission of this website, we will be happy to post up these submissions. Some of the articles are just submitted and later we find people complaining it is their's. All Dorje Shugden websites share somehow each other's information, quotes, videos and articles. It should be done happily. Whichever seeker finds whichever website/blogsite, then let the information be there for them to learn about the authentic practice of Dorje Shugden and how illogical the ban is. That is the point of these sites. These sites are not for showing off our knowledge or basking in the praise of how scholarly we are. It is for the dissemination of this great lineage.

Wherever we can, we have credited the original source or author of the article / materials. Occasionally, we receive complaints that articles were not given credit even though we had already prominently placed the original site or book where the information had come from. 

What we wish to say is that on an ultimate level, it should not matter if our names are attached to these articles or not. If an article is relevant, accurate, beneficial, an inspiration to other fellow Dharma practitioners, and being shared with so many people all over the world, isn’t that the most important thing? We cannot take our names, acknowledgments, credits etc with us when we die but we can contribute something very beneficial now to others, so why get petty over small things like this?

If you have written something very good, which is so beneficial to others for their Dharma journey, but you squabble over certain details, name and credit, it does not really reflect much on your practice, humility or cutting down your ego. Who is making money from your work? No one.  And who will benefit from your work? Everyone.  Do you want others to benefit from your work no matter if you get credit or not? You should.

We have even had people blurt legal action or write in to make trouble over their articles. Eventually, the administration decided to remove their articles completely not because we are scared but because we feel very sorry for the people who are causing these trouble. We remove the articles so it does not hurt their minds anymore and cause them to do even more negativities. We figure if they don't want their articles to reach a greater mass, that is their choice and it is truly sad for them if they even realize it. In Buddhism everything is plagiarzied from the original Buddha Himself anyway.

This is a spiritual site, a place for like-minded Dharma practitioners to gather. If you had any query or wished for certain credits to be placed, please just contact us and talk to us about it. It is unnecessary to become rude or make unpleasant comments to other visitors of this website. We urge you to please contemplate this more. Reacting in this way is not good for your own practice. Then, the articles do not become of benefit anymore but sadly, become just another tool for making our egos and attachments bigger.

Dorjeshugden.com is NOT out to make a profit in any way and our only wish is to make resources available to other spiritual friends so that they can gain more understanding, hope and more knowledge to strengthen their study, practices, Dorje Shugden's authentic lineage, and Guru Devotion. We always welcome people to share more information and continue submitting material. We will use it only to benefit others and we hope you can share in this same mission with us.

Mana

Dear Mana

Thank you so much for sharing this well written and presented post. Intellectual property rights and originality are always points of contention throughout history. The main points of contention are usually material gain or wishing for praise or a good reputation, all of which I thought we are doing our best to avoid as Buddhists, because they are part of the eight worldly dharmas.

I love the resources of this site - it's quite amazing that there are new articles regularly, and that there are freely available information to anyone who is interested in Dorje Shugden. The illustrated story and Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche's autobiography are two outstanding examples of the generosity of this website, which I am still very appreciative of. I am particularly impressed that there is no one who is saying "I did this" or "I sponsored this" - which is very humble and epitomises Dharma.

Which brings me to TK's post in reply to your post, Mana, - I agree with Atishas cook's sentiments that Tk should always be credited and that he/she shows "wonderful, humble example here too". I have always thought that TK's posts been are insightful and while I may not necessarily agree with everything posted, I personally enjoy his/her thought provoking posts. Actually I enjoy most people's posts here, generally those who wish to share information and do not seek to put anyone down or create schism.

As I have always believed and repeated - anyone who does not agree with the rules of this or any forum should simply just go elsewhere where their view is accepted. It's a big world out there and space for everyone. Why stay just to create trouble - especially in any Dharmic space?

Going back to copyright, I have a couple of essays on Dorje Shugden I would like to submit for this website's consideration - and you don't have to credit me. I'd just like to share my point of view on a few things.

If you don't mind, I will email you privately, Mana.

Thank you again for all your hard work and dedication on this site. May the great King Dorje Shugden's practice be held sincerely by practitioners so that we may strive to be good examples of his enlightened qualities.

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

thaimonk

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 05:53:39 PM »
Hi AC,
Yes Trinley is not a part of the NKT. As far as I know he got banned from this forum for not towing the line that was being heavily enforced this year since the large infux of Tsems students who were all singing from the same hymn sheet.

What a rude way to refer to Tsem Rinpoche. He may not be your teacher, but he is the teacher of many others. It is not right for you to disrespect so many ppl by referring to him as Tsem. Would you like if others refer to you as 'kelsangs students singing his praises'? Respect sangha full stop.

It's ok for you to praise your teacher, but it is not ok for others to praise their's? Certainly Trinley is on your forum as he tows your line I am sure.  Let's all stay where we tow the line and not cross it.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 05:56:49 PM »
Dear Mana,

Dear friends,
I agree that it's important to acknowledge the source of any material that one reference to, but I do think we should look into sharing more relevant information freely to support the movement of clearing Shugden's name from the bad reputation due to the ban.

If I remember correctly, it was written on Dorje Shugden history that the purpose of the website /presentation is to explain various relevant points to show how they refute many of the fallacious ideas written in existing essays on this subject, especially Georges Dreyfus’ The Shuk-den Affair: Origins of a Controversy.

I think the more these type of texts that are published and quoted all over the world wide web, the more people will be aware of the great lies that Shugden is a demon and that our gurus are wrong! Wasn't that the motivation to have the dorjeshugdenhistory website in the first place? Perhaps I am too naive to believe that there are people who really do care about Shugden lineage out there and not just another opportunity to toot one's own horn.

I enjoyed reading many relevant excerpts from dorjeshugdenhistory and other blogsites/ websites, eg from wisdombuddhadorjeshugden on this website, and I hope that it would give an impression to those who first got to know shugden from this website that there are other wonderful authors and websites that forms a community of united and supportive Shugden practitioners community.

As Shugden practitioners and upholder of the ineage of Je Rinpoche, we should stand together at this testing time. When our sangha suffers ostracisation, physical abuse, being put down by His Holiness, I do not think that spending much time arguing about source of articles and whether one should be acknowledged or not will make a difference in preventing the lineage 'holocaust'.

If we do not support each other, who will????? TGIE???? Come on people, wake up!!!!!!!

Mana

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 06:05:08 PM »
Hi AC,
Yes Trinley is not a part of the NKT. As far as I know he got banned from this forum for not towing the line that was being heavily enforced this year since the large infux of Tsems students who were all singing from the same hymn sheet. He became dis-illusioned with the agenda of this website and un-happy with the work he had done being used on it.
x

You are right, anyone that does not follow the rules will not be welcomed to participate in our forum. Whatever centre you belong to or whatever dharma teacher you follow is of no concern to us, when you are in this space you follow the regulations we have set out.

We have clearly stated not to be sarcastic, not to put down any lamas, and to respect those rules . Anyone that are not welcomed anymore has been warned many times before they are finally and regretfully restricted. We are sorry you are unhappy regarding this, but every country, state, city, organization, centre, sect, family, and group have their well thought out rules/regulations that should be respected. We are not unique in this.

Mana

thaimonk

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 06:13:20 PM »
Hi AC,
x

One group does not necessarily mean he is a part of your centre.

Regarding Trinley Kalsang being dis-illusioned, did you ever think some of us were dis-illusioned with him? His works and his attitude didn't match I am sorry to say.

Him not being on this website is his loss and perhaps the loss of potential readers that can learn more from his writings. Why his loss, he could have benefitted more.  I wish him well in other cyber spaces. His work could have reached many many many more through this website to benefit much more. After all that is the sole purpose to write about dharma isn't it? It should be.