Author Topic: The Abbot of Shar Gaden Monastery  (Read 10309 times)

DSFriend

The Abbot of Shar Gaden Monastery
« on: January 22, 2011, 05:20:37 PM »
Venerable Abbot Geshe Lharampa Lobsang Phende was born on 1941 in central Lhasa, near Gaden Monastery in Tibet. At the age of 12, he was admitted to Gaden Shartse Monastery, later receiving the fullyfledged novice vows from Kyabje Song Dorje Chang, along with many other young monks, some of whom are now throne holders or supreme leaders of wellknown monasteries and Dharma centers in Asia and in the West. He embarked on the monastic training and studied all fields of Buddhist Studies including the Five Principal Subjects of Buddhist Philosophy as a pupil of Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche, Song Rinpoche and Zemey Rinpoche. After fleeing from Tibet in 1959, many Gaden monks temporarily resided in Buxar, in Northeast India, where he continued to keep the momentum of focus on studying Sutra and Tantra.

As most of the major Geluk monasteries were reestablished in South India with Gaden and Drepung Monasteries in Mundgod, while Sera Monastery was reestablished in Bylakuppe, Mysore. He voluntarily got involved in the project of restoration of these monasteries at the earliest stage in South India. At that time, monks ploughed all the fields for whole days and nights, pulling wooden ploughs hanging around their necks. This tale is still told and heard from older monks. Then he was appointed as a new General Secretary of the Lama Society for nearly a half decade, which was purposely founded in the service of both Gaden and Drepung Monasteries. Again, the monastic community of Gaden Shartse had chosen him as their new Secretary, but he could not finish the actual term of office, so he had to quit the duty in the middle of the service and instead kept focus on Sutra and Tantric studies, as Khensur Lati Rinpoche suggested.

Shortly afterwards, he was officially conferred a prestigious Geshe Lharampa Degree (doctor in Buddhist philosophy). His unique abilities in Monastic rituals and versatility made him the most eligible candidate for the Chant-Master of Gaden Shartse, which has a term of 5 years. As anticipated, he was chosen as the new Chantmaster of Shartse Monastery and the enthronement ceremony was held on that same day on the monastic premises. During his service, he made the common and uncommon monastic rituals and recitation traditions even more accessible and comprehensive by extensive analysis of the original compositions of Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche and Kyabje Song Rinpoche. He expended all his capabilities, hardwork, etc to preserve and promote this precious tradition that has survived from the centuries.

After the successful completion of 5 years’ duty as ChantMaster, he has occasionally visited many countries such as: Switzerland, Italy, Germany, Mongolia and many more giving discourses of vital points of Buddhism and spreading Je Tsongkhapa’s pure doctrine to as many people as possible, regardless of politics, religion, race, etc, only aiming to benefit needy and suffering people around the world. At present, he holds the post of supreme spiritual head and instructor of secular matters at Shar Gaden Monastery.

Source from : http://shargadenpa.org/throneholder/venerable-geshe-lobsang-phende

whitelion

Re: The Abbot of Shar Gaden Monastery
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 02:36:02 PM »
Thanks for posting this wonderful information abour Shar Gaden Khen Rinpoche (abbot), Geshe Lobsang Phende. Beside from what it's stated on above post, I also heard Khen Rinpoche Lobsang Phende is one of the few old geshe who proficient ancient and current Tibetan language and text.

A lot of time when someone in the monastery having questions about some older text, Geshe Lobsang Phende is the first person they will go to and requested clarification. Khen Rinpoche Geshe Lobsang Phende study under various high lama from Gelug lineage, which included HH Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche, HH Kyabje Zong Rinpoche and others. Even today, Khen Rinpoche is well known for his understanding and discourse about various teaching.

Before the ban, where DS is still allow to take trance in Shartse, Shartse always appointed Geshe Lobsang Phende as the  interpreter between DS and others monk, it's due to sometimes DS will give very deep and comprehensive Dharma teaching in trance, and Geshe Lobsang Phende will record down the teaching and translate for others after. Khen Rinpoche Geshe Lobsang Phende is also very famous for his guru devotion towards all his lama.

Here i attached some current photo about Khen Rinpoche Geshe Lobsang Phende, this series of photo was taken during Monlam festival 2013. As you can see from the pictures attached, H.E. Zawa Tulku Rinpoche from Canada also take part in the Maitreya Buddha procession as part of Monlam festival ceremony.

beggar

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 06:55:10 PM »
Thank you for sharing this! What an inspiring story of a great practitioner and teacher, who is carrying on a powerful lineage even as his entire monastery of monks face such discrimination from the rest of their own people. It cannot have been easy to be separated from your monastic home (Gaden) and still have to lead over 600 monks (now growing to 800) to begin a whole new life again, keep them inspired and help them to keep their faith when so much is out to destroy them.

What an inspiration, to know that in spite of everything, this great abbot is not only continuing the lineage and practices, but also making them grow -  the population of the monastery has grown since its inception and its practices, rituals and Dharma learning remain as steadfast and strong as ever. It might even seem that in some ways, Shar Gaden is doing much better than Gaden itself! (can I be so bold as to say this?)

I have been seeing some wonderful photos of Shar Gaden's activities, pujas and rituals online. It seems like the practices and traditions are indeed very rich and alive, and the monks are holding the lineage very purely and strongly for it to continue well into the future.... all this under the perfect guidance and leadership of Khen Rinpoche Lobsang Phende.

May he live a thousand years, always have good health and never stop turning the wheel of dharma.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 04:23:36 AM »
It's always really encouraging to see the Shar Ganden website updated and to read about such writeups about their abbots and monks because it is a sign of growth for Shar Ganden despite the conditions that they are made to go through. It shows that they are indeed receiving the guidance and protection of Dorje Shugden and that it is real and not fake. How else could anyone explain the growth of Shar Ganden within such a short time? And it is so fortunate for Shar Ganden to have such an illustrious abbot to serve them because it would mean that they will only grow more and more and more from here onwards, under the and of a caring and dedicated abbot. I rejoice for Shar Ganden and may it grow forevermore and spread the Dharma to the 10 directions.

Rihanna

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 08:50:03 PM »
He is so kind. At a time when everyone has abandoned Shar Gaden, or cannot be there for whatever their reasons, Khen Rinpoche stays in Shar Gaden to lead them. With no disrespect intended, he makes himself the poster boy for the heart of Dorje Shugden's practice around the world. Yes Trijang Rinpoche is the highest lama in our lineage, but Trijang Rinpoche is not outwardly associated with Shar Gaden. So Khen Rinpoche makes himself the number one target, just to keep our lineage alive. How many of us can do that for Lama Tsongkhapa's tradition?

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 05:40:47 AM »
He is so kind. At a time when everyone has abandoned Shar Gaden, or cannot be there for whatever their reasons, Khen Rinpoche stays in Shar Gaden to lead them. With no disrespect intended, he makes himself the poster boy for the heart of Dorje Shugden's practice around the world. Yes Trijang Rinpoche is the highest lama in our lineage, but Trijang Rinpoche is not outwardly associated with Shar Gaden. So Khen Rinpoche makes himself the number one target, just to keep our lineage alive. How many of us can do that for Lama Tsongkhapa's tradition?

Wow! I was unaware of Khen Rinpoche's sacrifice for the purity of Je Tsongkhapa's tradition, he put his own life and his reputation at risk to be the abbot of Shar Ganden in Dharamsala! It is amazing that in addition to that he has to take care of the entire monastery and he accepted this heavy responsibility so graciously! I really respect Khen Rinpoche and what he is doing and how much he is sacrificing just to take care of Shar Ganden. It shows that he is totally not attached to his own life and reputation in Dharamsala at all to take care of the monks in Shar Ganden.

brian

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 05:18:36 PM »
Khen Rinpoche's amazing effort in sacrificing himself in order to make Lama Tsongkhapa's tradition to prosper even further, even though knowingly being the abbot of Shar Ganden would risk his life and will face multiple challenges did not deterred Khen Rinpoche! Only a Bodhiattva himself can make such sacrifice in order for the benefit of others.

One can imagine the amount of courage and sacrifice not forgetting challenges He has to face in leading up to make the sacred practice of Dorje Shugden to spread fae and wide even at the cost of his own reputation. I pray hard for Khen Rinpoche to live long and may all the obstacles be cleared for the growth of Shar Gaden.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 07:59:04 PM »

What an inspiration, to know that in spite of everything, this great abbot is not only continuing the lineage and practices, but also making them grow -  the population of the monastery has grown since its inception and its practices, rituals and Dharma learning remain as steadfast and strong as ever. It might even seem that in some ways, Shar Gaden is doing much better than Gaden itself! (can I be so bold as to say this?)

Thank you for pointing this out Beggar and this should never be understated. When Shar Ganden first started, it was very much isolated from the rest of the monastic community and the Tibetan people. It could not have been easy to stand against the CTA and the position that Dalai Lama took vis-a-vis Dorje Shugden. Come to think of it, everything was against Shar Ganden and yet it has thrived.

Any institution can only grow with good leadership and even more so, an infantile institution that would have been under constant attacks from the powerful establishment. But it must be more than just good secular leadership for the monks who joined Shar Ganden knew what they were up to and yet it did not stop them. The Abbot must radiate pure Dharma and devotion. And friends of mine who have had the great karma to meet Khen Rinpoche personally understands why Shar Ganden and the Protector practice have continued to thrive under him. The Abbot is divinely humble although very qualified and also very kind towards everyone he meets.

Khen Rinpoche Lobsang Phende is another living proof that so long as we keep our samaya clean, the Protector will never forego his children. These days, there are more good news coming out of Shar Ganden than Shartse and I cannot wait until Shugden lamas such as Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche start visiting and returning to Shar Ganden. No one doubts that Khen Rinpoche has been a more than capable torch bearer for the Protector practice since the ban.

With the number of monks growing, the Abbot would definitely need assistance to expand the monastery and increase the facilities therein and I hope help will keep flowing in. May Khen Rinpoche Lobsang Phende have long life and may Shar Ganden continue to grow.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:11:18 PM by vajratruth »

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 03:04:44 AM »
Thank you for pointing this out Beggar and this should never be understated. When Shar Ganden first started, it was very much isolated from the rest of the monastic community and the Tibetan people. It could not have been easy to stand against the CTA and the position that Dalai Lama took vis-a-vis Dorje Shugden. Come to think of it, everything was against Shar Ganden and yet it has thrived.

Any institution can only grow with good leadership and even more so, an infantile institution that would have been under constant attacks from the powerful establishment. But it must be more than just good secular leadership for the monks who joined Shar Ganden knew what they were up to and yet it did not stop them. The Abbot must radiate pure Dharma and devotion. And friends of mine who have had the great karma to meet Khen Rinpoche personally understands why Shar Ganden and the Protector practice have continued to thrive under him. The Abbot is divinely humble although very qualified and also very kind towards everyone he meets.

Khen Rinpoche Lobsang Phende is another living proof that so long as we keep our samaya clean, the Protector will never forego his children. These days, there are more good news coming out of Shar Ganden than Shartse and I cannot wait until Shugden lamas such as Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche start visiting and returning to Shar Ganden. No one doubts that Khen Rinpoche has been a more than capable torch bearer for the Protector practice since the ban.

With the number of monks growing, the Abbot would definitely need assistance to expand the monastery and increase the facilities therein and I hope help will keep flowing in. May Khen Rinpoche Lobsang Phende have long life and may Shar Ganden continue to grow.

I think Shar Ganden has grown wonderfully and is another testament to how Dorje Shugden will help us if we keep our samaya clean as well as how he will not forget us. How else does one explain the existence and the growth of Shar Ganden? Shar Ganden is actually thriving and growing, and with the inclusion of Khen Rinpoche, I am sure he will take care of the sangha of Shar Ganden and make sure that their needs are being met. It is a heavy responsibility to take charge of so many monks and it would be very heavy karma to make them suffer or get distracted from their Dharma studies as a result of not having their needs properly taken care of. So I'd say that Khen Rinpoche's responsibilities is huge but he is still willing to take it and that shows what kind of person he is.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 05:02:33 AM »
I had the great great fortune to be in the audience with Khen Rinpoche he was very kind and very gentle. I liked what Rihanna wrote that Khen Rinpoche 'held the fort' whilst the other great lamas like Trijang Dorje Chang and Pabongka Dorje Chang is preparing themselves to spread the Buddha dharma and are ready to do so. Trijang Dorjechang is now manifesting his qualities a a Supreme Guide once again with his tour in the Europe thanks to the many silent heroes like Khen Rinpoche who are similarly holding the fort and practicing patience against derisions, scorn and a host other negative influences, Dorje Shugden has that opportunity to reach to to many across the globe.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 04:42:41 AM »
In due time, Shar Ganden and Serpom will be the "mothership" of Dorje Shugden practice and they will help sustain the pure lineage of the Gelugs and also keep the lineage alive by sustaining the Lamas who practice it. Therefore Khen Rinpoche has a very heavy responsibility of ensuring the wellbeing of the monks in Shar Ganden so that they will be able to carry on with the studies without being disrupted by the whole ban thing. I am sure he will do a good job in what he is doing and possibly in the future invite Trijang Rinpoche or Pabongkha Rinpoche to give teachings there one day when the ban gets more and more relaxed.

lotus1

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 03:55:51 PM »
Thank you for sharing the inspiring story of Khen Rinpoche Lobsang Phende. Bow down low to the great abbot of Shar Gaden that holding the fort and preserving and growing the lineage of Je Tsongkhapa. Thank you so much especially to spread the teaching of Dorje Shugden and taking care of all the monks after the bans despite all the obstacles and danger.

As he is so knowledgeable and well verse in both sutra and trantra, may he live long and able to give initiations and pass down the lineage to all the younger monks.

Btw, we can also donate to Shar Gaden while buying Dorje Shugden items through Dorje Shugden Online Shop (http://shop.dorjeshugden.com).

thor

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 04:51:53 PM »
As many have already said, Geshe Lobsang Phende is very brave to stick with his guns (pardon the expression) and risk harm in order to serve as the Abbot of Shar Gaden Monastery. I would also like to point out that Geshe Lobsang Phende is able to do this, through his unswerving guru devotion and complete faith in Kyabje Song Rinpoche.

I have met Geshe Lobsang Phende a couple of times over the past 5 years, during the nyungne retreats. What strikes me each time is how gentle and humble he is, yet full of knowledge and wisdom. Geshe-la has done a fantastic job of leading the monastery for almost a full term now, during its most trying periods after inception. Geshe-la, incredibly, held the monastery together despite death threats, consipracy, sabotage attempts by the CTA, and has grown it into a thriving seat of Je Tsongkhapa's teachings, growing daily with more monks and high lamas returning home.

As the end of his term approaches, I wonder who will be elected as the next abbot. I have wondered whether Geshe Lobsang Phende might be called upon to renew his term in office a second time. Would anyone know if this has happened before in the history of the monasteries?

dsiluvu

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 04:08:00 AM »
As many have already said, Geshe Lobsang Phende is very brave to stick with his guns (pardon the expression) and risk harm in order to serve as the Abbot of Shar Gaden Monastery. I would also like to point out that Geshe Lobsang Phende is able to do this, through his unswerving guru devotion and complete faith in Kyabje Song Rinpoche.

I have met Geshe Lobsang Phende a couple of times over the past 5 years, during the nyungne retreats. What strikes me each time is how gentle and humble he is, yet full of knowledge and wisdom. Geshe-la has done a fantastic job of leading the monastery for almost a full term now, during its most trying periods after inception. Geshe-la, incredibly, held the monastery together despite death threats, consipracy, sabotage attempts by the CTA, and has grown it into a thriving seat of Je Tsongkhapa's teachings, growing daily with more monks and high lamas returning home.

As the end of his term approaches, I wonder who will be elected as the next abbot. I have wondered whether Geshe Lobsang Phende might be called upon to renew his term in office a second time. Would anyone know if this has happened before in the history of the monasteries?

Indeed Geshe Lobsang Phende is a courageous Lama and Abbot, like a fearless snowlion, by becoming the first Abbot of Shar Gaden, He is the first one to arise against this ridiculous Ban/CTA bravely and openly. His Abbotship in Shar Gaden makes a significant mark and statement to the whole Tibetan community that He is not afraid of them, he does not by in to their BS, their threats and their unfair rulings, even though it may appear like He is against His Holiness, I am certainly sure this is not the case. Actually come to think of it, due to the BAN, they manifested a Gaden that has nothing to do with politics and even better NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CTA! Hence, we can do what we want really... in a way we are FREE  :D ;) :)

Also Geshe Lobsang Phende quiet gentle humility is even more encouraging and inspiring because everyone expects Dorje Shugden practitioners to be "evil and mean"... well to much of their surprise it is the opposite. And hence this is the very reasons why we need to exemplify the attitude of the beautiful Lamas of our lineage. Instead of waving fists, we wave them with skillful logical facts in a compassionate way... like what this wonderful site has been doing :) 

I sure hope he will continue to serve Shar Gaden as the Abbot though I do have a hunch that the next Abbot would, could be His Holiness Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche... that will sure stir up a storm of the century :)

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 04:47:12 AM »

Indeed Geshe Lobsang Phende is a courageous Lama and Abbot, like a fearless snowlion, by becoming the first Abbot of Shar Gaden, He is the first one to arise against this ridiculous Ban/CTA bravely and openly. His Abbotship in Shar Gaden makes a significant mark and statement to the whole Tibetan community that He is not afraid of them, he does not by in to their BS, their threats and their unfair rulings, even though it may appear like He is against His Holiness, I am certainly sure this is not the case. Actually come to think of it, due to the BAN, they manifested a Gaden that has nothing to do with politics and even better NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CTA! Hence, we can do what we want really... in a way we are FREE  :D ;) :)

Also Geshe Lobsang Phende quiet gentle humility is even more encouraging and inspiring because everyone expects Dorje Shugden practitioners to be "evil and mean"... well to much of their surprise it is the opposite. And hence this is the very reasons why we need to exemplify the attitude of the beautiful Lamas of our lineage. Instead of waving fists, we wave them with skillful logical facts in a compassionate way... like what this wonderful site has been doing :) 

I sure hope he will continue to serve Shar Gaden as the Abbot though I do have a hunch that the next Abbot would, could be His Holiness Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche... that will sure stir up a storm of the century :)

In some ways, yes it is true that the ban has caused a separation of Ganden from the CTA and also from CTA's political influence, with that. It is a good thing because CTA likes to stick their noses into things that dont concern them like the Dorje Shugden ban for instance. How the hell has that got to do with secularism? It is purely a spiritual matter and CTA should stop prosecuting the practitioners and really start improving Dharamsala. On the other hand, Shar Ganden and Serpom can wholeheartedly focus on the Dharma without any worries or obligations to entertain the CTA officials.