Author Topic: Dalai Lama's visit to Mundgod  (Read 11568 times)

beggar

Dalai Lama's visit to Mundgod
« on: January 29, 2011, 05:03:08 PM »
The Dalai Lama is scheduled to go down to Mundgod very soon to give teachings. From my contacts and friends in the monasteries there, I have heard that His Holiness will be staying in Gaden for about 2 to 3 days, and Drepung for one day.

I received news that representatives from Shar Gaden have actually gone to speak to the police to request their help, to speak to the Dalai Lama to NOT speak with such incendiary terms about Dorje Shugden. Shar Gaden is, rightfully so, very concerned that should the dalai lama say anything strongly against DS practitioners, the local lay people will once again cause a lot of trouble for the Shar Gaden monks and even attack the monastery. This is nothing new, since it has happened before to Dokhang Khangtsen before they broke away to Shar Gaden, as well as to many individual practitioners and Lamas.

It is sad times that monks have to plead with the police for their protection against attacks from lay people, just for doing their spiritual practice. If anyone hears any more about the teachings going on in Mundgod, please add your news and updates here. Thanks,

Humbly, beggar

Mana

Re: Dalai Lama's visit to Mundgod
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 05:22:01 PM »

The Dalai Lama is in Gaden Shartse Monastery right now in South India. Let's see what the next few days unfold. Will he speak against Dorje Shugden or the Karmapa issue is still occupying centre stage now?

The Shar Gaden monks are waiting to see what happens. Remember, Shar Gaden monastery is just a few hundred meters from the actual accommodations Dalai Lama is staying at in Gaden Shartse Monastery.

Mana

vajralight

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 11:02:44 PM »
If he (DL) continues to persecute DS followers, we will start protesting again. It seems to be the only option since he will not change his policies. At least we can let the world know what is going on.

vajra

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:43:34 AM »
I just hope that HH the Dalai Lama will not use Shugden to distract the press and the Tibetans from the Karmapa issue. We shall see what happens and I eagerly await news here. News comes via this forum much faster than via the mainstream media for me! Thank you Beggar for getting the information on the ground as it were. You're like our Shugden correspondent! Please keep it coming as you hear it...

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 07:28:49 PM »
Wow. It's actually really, really sad that the Shar Gaden monks have to request the police for support. It's sad that they feel concerned and weary of the thought that the Dalai Lama is coming to Mundgod. Shouldn't be that way..should be rejoicing that HHDL is going to speak to crowds of people....or on edge with what he might say.

Do the Indian police have a stand on the ban? Or they just don't really care?

Lineageholder

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 07:33:26 PM »
No Buddhist monk should be an object of fear, this indicates that something is terribly wrong.

Zach

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:06:19 PM »
No Buddhist monk should be an object of fear, this indicates that something is terribly wrong.

Rather so.  :(

Mana

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 07:05:56 AM »

No Buddhist monk should be an object of fear, but when our stained karma 'assists' us to percieve wrongly, everything to not be feared is feared. Everything to be feared is not feared.

Lineageholder

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 11:56:04 AM »
The latest from Mundgod.  I have the Tibetan original transcripts.

(Translated text of Tibetan transcript of broadcasts in Voice of Tibet Radio)

Reporter:  Kalon Tripa showered praise, for there are no more religious and material interaction with Dholgayl (Shugden) followers. Kashag (Cabinet) acknowledged it as a significant initiative. Rinpoche also said that this initiative must be maintained even in the future.

Samdhong Rinpoche:  These great seats have absolutely no connection with evil Dholgyal. You have created opportunity for His Holiness to give teaching delightfully, If His Holiness gives teachings.  The Cabinet I lead acknowledges it as noble result and significant initiative. Even in the future, for the benefit of Buddha Dharma and for the welfare of Tibetan people, it is massive responsibility not to mix worldly deity and Dharma deity. We have faith and hope that the status quo must be maintained continuously.

Reporter:  Similarly, [Samdhong] has given explanation that Dholgyal followers enjoy rights on a par with other Tibetans.

Samdhong:     Those followers, who went separately, being not able to forsake evil Dholgyal, were separated from teachings and so forth from His Holiness in the great seat. Apart from this, Tibetan exile community didn't segregate them. It is different matter if one separated on his way. Therefore, Departments of Religion, Education and Home Affairs grant the rights enshrined for Tibetans. If [they] don’t know, we cannot force them. If they know, we provide what they know.

Reporter:  At the end of his commentary on Root Wisdom of Madhiyamika, His Holiness the Dalai Lama introduced the brief account of Dholgyal. We also told that since the commitment of Guru and disciple is significant, those who have connection with Dholgyal worship are not welcomed for Yamantaka Empowerment which would be given at Gaden Shartse Monastery on 5th of this month.

Dalai Lama:  If there is Dholgyal devotee, don’t come to Empowerment. I have already said in Varanasi recently. I always say in abroad. So I thought to say again. Those who have little faith in Dholgyal in deep mind, although not worship him for external appearance, are not welcomed.  I don't have thousand of eyes and hands. I have many acquaintances. Be it in Tibet or abroad – many send me messages. Although I have no thousand hands and eyes, I can say that I have thousand ears. Therefore I sometimes hear various news. I hear that some, for external appearance, acted looking fine in front of me, but not as it is behind.  One must think since ones mind is not obscure to oneself.  As the Dalai Lama imposed ban on Dholgyal worship, if you have in your mind a thought that [he] is a supreme deity - Dharma protector of Tsongkhapa teaching, but pretend otherwise, don’t come to Yamantaka Empowerment.  Do you understand? Lamas and abbots who travel abroad and who stay here- there are some doubts on the way they contact in Tibet. It is freedom of speech if you come out and protest. It is right thing. In his speech Samdhong Rinpoche thanked for both supporter and opponent.  This is true. We walk on democratic path. It is right if one refute the wrong. It is ones freedom. It is lie and two face if one show different expressions in front and behind.  If there are one who is not able to forsake by mind, don’t come to Yamantaka empowerment on fifth. If [you] come, may spiritual commitment deteriorate!

Heartspoon

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 12:29:25 PM »
 :o
Mao and Rime, maybe ?

thaimonk

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 01:30:48 PM »
It's alright, we can get Yamantaka initiation from somewhere else. Do not need to repeat that over and over. It is just trying to highlight the ban again in a subtle way. There are other very qualified beings we can obtain the Yamantaka from.

WoselTenzin

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 08:05:53 AM »
It is sad that a visit from the leader of Tibet which is supposed to be joyous occasion has turn out to be a fearful event for the monks of Shar Gaden.  I hope that HHDL would not use this visit to instigate the lay people to cause more trouble for the Shar Gaden monks whose only wish is to do their spiritual practice in peace. I hope that HHDL will stop causing further split within the gelugpa sangha.

DSFriend

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 08:57:53 AM »
It's alright, we can get Yamantaka initiation from somewhere else. Do not need to repeat that over and over. It is just trying to highlight the ban again in a subtle way. There are other very qualified beings we can obtain the Yamantaka from.

Ditto! Thanks Thaimonk. I appreciate that thinking very much.

The ban cannot, have not and will not be able to stop beings who have created the causes to receive teachings. Else, the law of karma will be false. But this is not the case so why fight? Why allow ourselves to be manipulated into engaging in angersome actions.

- peace -

Lineageholder

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 09:16:59 AM »
It is sad that a visit from the leader of Tibet which is supposed to be joyous occasion has turn out to be a fearful event for the monks of Shar Gaden.  I hope that HHDL would not use this visit to instigate the lay people to cause more trouble for the Shar Gaden monks whose only wish is to do their spiritual practice in peace. I hope that HHDL will stop causing further split within the gelugpa sangha.

Sadly, it seems like he won't stop deepening the split.  He made similar sectarian comments on his visit to Jangtse Monastery:

Translated from Tibetan news posted in www.tibet.net run by Tibetan government in exile.)
His Holiness the Dalai Lama paid visit to Ganden Jangtse Monastery and gave speech.

February 4, 2011
Extract:
At the beginning, Jangtse monastery was one of the factors which caused Shugden controversy.  Jangtse monastery has undergone such unfortunate matters and asked Kyabje Rinpoche for divination. Rinpoche has told me then that Lhamo has came out. Then, [he] was one of the most important upholders of Buddhism. Along with this, the predecessor abbots have promised that Jangtse monastery was extremely clean. However, there is still little problem. One should be clean from the beginning, or it is not good to see disgraceful later, after taking credit in front of people by saying that [the monastery] was clean.
Thank you very much for the average monks who endeavored diligently.

triesa

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 05:36:45 PM »
Dalai Lama's speech during his recent visit in Mundgod was expected and nothing new. I think he is just trying to be consistent (against DS), that's all.

Nothing has changed the stance of Shugdenpas. And like what Thaimonk has said, there are many other high lamas who can confer Yamataka initiations, not just from H.H. Dalai Lama.

In my opinion, the latest talk of the town "Karmapa spy issue"  may help to tone down the anti Shugden campaign.  The current Karmapa, fondly supported by the Dalai Lama and the TGIE, is being accused as a Chinese spy by the Indian government, this will deter Dalai Lama and TGIE not to use the 'Spy card" all the time onto Shugdenpas.