Author Topic: Interests in Dorje Shugden Grows -  (Read 10969 times)

Helena

• Email
Interests in Dorje Shugden Grows -
« on: February 25, 2011, 06:21:41 PM »
It is interesting to read how other people are picking the issue and how the controversy has sparked interests in Dorje Shugden.

I have to admit, before I knew of Dorje Shugden, I knew of the Dalai Lama first.

One could say that His Holiness "introduced" the great Protector to me in one way or another.

One article written by Jeremy dePrisco caught my attention. He wrote this as part of his 'serious writing assignments'.

Dorje Shugden's name is truly spreading beyond the spiritual and monastic parameters. People are generally interested or curious beyond there is this controversy attached to his name.

Just thought I share it with everyone here.

Dorje Shugden vs Dalai Lama
BY JJDEPRISCO – DECEMBER 23, 2010

POSTED IN: ANALYSIS, DISCUSSION

One of my last serious writing projects for college was for a Persuasion course at Bloomsburg University (Fall 08). I chose as my topic the ongoing controversy of Dorje Shugden worship in the Tibetan Buddhist community. I was first made aware of this topic after attending the Dalai Lama’s 2008 appearance at Lehigh University. Until then, I had no idea this was happening, and I felt compelled to learn as much as possible about it. So aside from making a good project for my class, it helped me with my own understanding of this important issue.

For this project I decided to take a look at both sides of the argument and analyze the persuasive techniques employed. The results below consist of a brief persuasive appeal written from the perspective each side, followed by an analysis of that appeal and the background research that was done to construct it. For the assignment, we were asked to select a target audience, so much of the analysis focuses on the audience (in this case Christian US Americans (18 and over, Protestant or Catholic).

This project was not held to the same standard of citation typically used in a research paper (because this was not a research paper). Any citations used were done purely as a courteousy and to offer the reader some background on where to explore more.

Dorje Shugden Argument

Dalai Lama Argument
Disclaimer: These papers are not attempting to document my own personal views on the matter. These should be read in the context of an academic study. What I hope people get out of this is the sense of how persuasive techniques are employed and how they can be effectively used – by the same person – to argue competing sides of any issue (not just this one). This should also make us aware of the techniques being used on us daily by media, government and every other institution with which we interact.

Disclaimer update 1/14/09: I have received two emails about this project, one of them within 24 hrs of the original post! Let me restate – I will not be posting my personal feeling on this subject. This was an assignment. Also, any errors of fact within the messages are my own and/or were manipulated as part of the message. That is the point of this study after all. There will be no corrections as I wish for this to stand on its own as a snapshot in time. If, through any fault of my own, there is misinformation, then it serves to underscore the point that what one reads (even in the course of an academic project like this) should be carefully evaluated.For me, the central issue here is persuasive technique and the fluidity of truth.

Note: This work is Copyright 2008 and is presented for educational purposes. All rights reserved. Contact me if you are interested in publishing this. For those unscrupulous students who wish to download and appropriate my work, shame on you!!

About jjdeprisco

Jeremy dePrisco is a writer, producer and software designer. Owner and operator of MINDSPEAK.COM, Jeremy is interested in the areas where technology, rhetoric, art and philosophy collide. He has 15+ yrs working with technology in healthcare, music and other areas, and holds an Associate’s Degree in Business Administration (The Pennsylvania State University) and a BA in Communications Studies (Bloomsburg University, Pennsylvania).

Source: http://www.mindspeak.com/?p=349
Helena

DSFriend

Re: Interests in Dorje Shugden Grows -
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 05:45:11 PM »
It is interesting to read how other people are picking the issue and how the controversy has sparked interests in Dorje Shugden.

I have to admit, before I knew of Dorje Shugden, I knew of the Dalai Lama first.

One could say that His Holiness "introduced" the great Protector to me in one way or another.

One article written by Jeremy dePrisco caught my attention. He wrote this as part of his 'serious writing assignments'.

Dorje Shugden's name is truly spreading beyond the spiritual and monastic parameters. People are generally interested or curious beyond there is this controversy attached to his name.

Just thought I share it with everyone here.

The way I look at it, the skillful will use all types of methods to accomplish a goal...which is also an act coming only from a compassionate mind.

triesa

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 04:06:52 PM »
Negative publicity has brought a huge and quick interest to Dorje Shugden. Who cares what the others say about the Dalai Lama, mission is accomplished!

More and more people are digging in to find out who Dorje Shugden is, and starting to engage in this sacred practice.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 04:54:23 PM »
I really like the way this writer has written the two different perspectives for both sides, and he even goes to explain the techniques he has used to persuade his target audience to agree with each perspective.

Articles like this allow readers to decide for themselves.

The writer also only found out more about the controversy after attending His Holiness's teachings. What really sparked my interest in his account is that upon learning the controversy, he went on to find out more about Dorje Shugden.

So, if you ask me - in a strange and indirect way - His Holiness has been putting Dorje Shugden in the limelight by merely talking about it.

Helena

pgdharma

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 04:00:57 PM »
Why bother about all the controversies! As far as i see it, His Holiness is spreading Dorje Shugden by using his own methods which  until  now seems  to work. More and more practitioners are checking  out and learning more about Dorje Shugden and starting on this sacred practice and benefiting from it! ;D

DSFriend

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 05:04:26 PM »

So, if you ask me - in a strange and indirect way - His Holiness has been putting Dorje Shugden in the limelight by merely talking about it.

Tibet was lost during the lifetime of the 14th Dalai Lama. I do not doubt that the 13th Dalai Lama knew this was where things were heading. Tibet is still lost but the 14th Dalai Lama has brought the most precious gift from Tibet,...the Buddha Dharma to the whole world. He is the icon of spiritual leadership. And his other topic which he talks alot about is Dorje Shugden! I do agree with you Helena and the view shared by most on this website is the bigger picture...just look at the result of where Tibetan Buddhism is today and how Dorje Shugden is made known far and wide!

triesa

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 02:35:21 PM »
I find H.H. the Dalai Lama very compassionate, using skillful method to spread Dorje Shugden's name through out the world by condenming Dorje Shugden. Think who would have the nerve to carry out that?

We should work hand in hand with Dalai Lama, like this website, the admin team behind always upkeep the web site with relevant information on Dorje Shugden, his lineage, his practice, etc. This is the best way to provide answers and information to those who come to this website.

At the end, facts and logic always prevail.

DSFriend

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 09:47:17 AM »

At the end, facts and logic always prevail.

And we are seeing it now...There are so much information online, news, college research papers etc on Dorje Shugden. I came across quite a few college research papers lately. The content regarding Dorje Shugden are so much interwoven into Tibetan Buddhism in general. Of the many Dharma Protectors we have in Tibetan Buddhism,... i find Dorje Shugden to be researched and talked about the most.

Big Uncle

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 12:43:47 AM »
Oh, I think the controversy is important for all Dorje Shugden practitioners to read up so we can explain to people of our faith. It is not about debating but about being able to present and defend Dorje Shugden correctly. Personally, I encourage people to read more about it and not avoid it because it is complicated or that it puts a bad light on Buddhism. When more and more people know of the truth, there is less not just less ignorance of Dorje Shugden but more people would come to know more about him.

Hence, if new practitioners of Dorje Shugden learn about him based on facts, their faith would be stronger. There is no doubt that the controversy has sparked off a lot of interest in this Protector. So it is also equally important that more and more people are able to talk and discuss it so the real practice goes out there.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 05:18:24 PM »
Yes, I agree with Big Uncle.

It is important for us as Dorje Shugden practitioners, to know about the history and how Dorje Shudgen came into being, and how the ban came into force. Without being armed with the right information about our own Protector, how do we even begin to explain to others.

So, we must be the first to understand the story of our Protector - only then we can relate the story to others, with clarity and conviction.

In this way, we will be the kind of Dorje Shugden Ambassadors who work to benefit others.

In truth, we can only truly uphold the "good image" or perception of our Protector through our own actions and speech. If we behave in an unpleasant manner, then it will seal the "unpleasant" impression that others hold of our Protector and HIS practice. Hence, making the misunderstanding even worse.

Helena

DSFriend

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 04:52:22 PM »

Hence, if new practitioners of Dorje Shugden learn about him based on facts, their faith would be stronger. There is no doubt that the controversy has sparked off a lot of interest in this Protector. So it is also equally important that more and more people are able to talk and discuss it so the real practice goes out there.

Dorje Shugden practitioners have shown much resilient, arising from faith and devotion. The basis of the persecutions and ban towards Dorje Shugden and his practitioners are illogical. It is important just like what Big Uncle said,..that more and more people are able to talk and discuss what the practice is about and to help clear wrong views. This forum is an excellent platform to learn, discuss and gather information for us to have a right view.

beggar

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 05:02:26 PM »
Oh, I think the controversy is important for all Dorje Shugden practitioners to read up so we can explain to people of our faith. It is not about debating but about being able to present and defend Dorje Shugden correctly. Personally, I encourage people to read more about it and not avoid it because it is complicated or that it puts a bad light on Buddhism. When more and more people know of the truth, there is less not just less ignorance of Dorje Shugden but more people would come to know more about him.

What a good point. Thank you Big Uncle.

It's not just about debating or arguing for the sake of arguing on something. It is about strengthening practitioners' faith and helping them understand the practice better so they can do the practice deeply and gain more attainments it.

It is important to generate faith in the teachings and practices. This is why in all major teachings, the Gurus will also explain to us the lineage of the teachings / practice they are about to impart, and speak at length of the many qualities the great masters who have composes these texts, taught and passed on the practices. This way, our minds open, we have faith in what is about to be taught to us and the teachings will have a much stronger imprint and impact on our minds.

We may not be teaching people directly as the Guru does, but we can still share this information through websites, the forum etc and help people gain faith and understanding in this way.

pgdharma

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 02:34:15 PM »
We may not be teaching people directly as the Guru does, but we can still share this information through websites, the forum etc and help people gain faith and understanding in this way.
[/quote]

Yes  and  what better way then through this website  and  forum  where we can discuss and share our views and opinions logically. Ever since I read and followed this website, I have gained  more and more faith  with our sacred Protector and have  a better and clearer understanding of this sacred practice.

DSFriend

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 05:36:45 PM »
Yes  and  what better way then through this website  and  forum  where we can discuss and share our views and opinions logically. Ever since I read and followed this website, I have gained  more and more faith  with our sacred Protector and have  a better and clearer understanding of this sacred practice.

Dear pgdharma
Thanks for sharing how this website has contributed in some ways to help you gain clearer understanding of this sacred practice.
This sacred practice is most suitable and beneficial for people of our time and karma. And this website is instrumental as a platform for many seekers and practitioners to learn, share, clear wrong views... a haven for many, including myself.

Helena

• Email
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »
Right now, more than ever, as even the remotest inclination that the tide is turning to our favour, we must not rest and relax our determination to promote and impart as much information about our great Protector.

During such times, when people are beginning to see TGIE's efforts are going nowehere, they will start asking questions. They may begin very quietly among themselves, but doubt not, questions will rise - as they always do when results do not manifest. They will ask, why and how come.

Then they will see how the Shugdenpas are progressing and growing. Most importantly, how peaceful all Shudgenpas have been.

It is during these times that minds will open to other possibilities and other explanations - other than what they have been forced fed and shoved down their throats.

Everything is instrumental now - we may never know how even the smallest effort to promote our Protector may actually change someone's life or mind. That in itself is tremendous.

Helena