Author Topic: Lobsang Sangay & Dorje Shugden  (Read 9126 times)

DharmaSpace

Lobsang Sangay & Dorje Shugden
« on: May 27, 2011, 04:19:20 AM »
Has Lobsang Sangay made any official announcements about how he’d like to unify the Tibetans especially on the Dorje Shugden issue?

It is important for Tibet to move with one voice and one vision and he would need the Tibetans to be united behind him... The issue of Dorje Shugden is truly unhealthy for the state of Tibet, why? It has created a massive divide among the Tibetans by and large.

How can a rift among tibetans outside and within Tibet be good for Tibet's future?

thaimonk

Re: Lobsang Sangay & Dorje Shugden
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 05:55:17 AM »
Has Lobsang Sangay made any official announcements about how he’d like to unify the Tibetans especially on the Dorje Shugden issue?

It is important for Tibet to move with one voice and one vision and he would need the Tibetans to be united behind him... The issue of Dorje Shugden is truly unhealthy for the state of Tibet, why? It has created a massive divide among the Tibetans by and large.

How can a rift among tibetans outside and within Tibet be good for Tibet's future?

It would be interesting to know if Lobsang has said anything regarding Shugden. It would be entertaining to read while I have my sticky rice and Thai Ice coffee.

Nothing he says will make a difference to anyone anywhere. He is a 'Prime MInister' with no country, no support, no power, no influence.  And what little attention he gets will continue to fade with time. The world is not interested in Tibet, just the lamas. No one is interested in Tibetan autonomy as it benefits no one whatsoever. Still I would like to know what Lobsang has or will say regarding the Shugden issue. What he says will determine if he has independent thinking or a puppet. Remember, his region in Tibet up till today practices Shugden. He practiced Shugden most of his life also before the ban.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 06:47:21 AM »
I think if Lobsang Sangay keeps mum on the Shugden issue it will show his support for Shugden. He cannot speak against the ban because he is the new kid on the block and needs the support of the Tibetan diaspora. He will not contradict the Dalai Lama's mandate on anything and will keep the peace in order to settle in to his role. The best thing he can do to support Shugden is to not say anything.

Even if he speaks against Shugden, I feel that he would just do so in order to align with the Dalai Lama. He is a political man after all. If he was vehemently against Shugden, he would have spoken about it in his campaign for Kalon Tripa.

Also as Sangay is a Harvard boy, perhaps he would be less inclined to be involved in spiritual politics.

Though the Dalai Lama has stepped down as the secular head, the Tibetans still hold him in the highest regard and will hold his mandate on Shugden as has been seen over the years. The actions of the Tibetans - the lay as well as the Sangha - to support this ban shows that people will blindly follow the mandate regardless of harm to people. It's very sad but that is the status of this group of people who have no country, no government, and no real identity left. Until they let go of the past and accept what is the current situation and work with what they have, they will continue to suffer. Isn't letting go and acceptance one of the core tenets of Buddhism?
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

heartjewel

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 10:58:39 AM »
Like what is said about Lobsang Sangay him being very intelligent and also has been practicing Dorje Shugden. On the other hand he is also working with the Dalai Lama who is against the practice of Dorje Shugden. Whether Lobsang Sangay has made any official announcement regarding to unify the Tibetan Issue re: Dorje Shugden Practice. If he keep quiet and make no announcements it would be better. Then the Tibetan people would also have to keep quiet as Lobsang Sangay as the Government is quiet. This would bring peace among the Tibetans.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:34:23 AM »
I hope he will have that luxury of staying quiet. Unfortunately, I worry that he may be forced to take a stand... let's hope the Great Protector Dorje Shugden will protect him and may he act in a way most beneficial for the people of Tibet and anyone concerned.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:52:05 AM »
Lobsang Sangay speaks about the Dalai Lama continuing to reincarnate to rule or take over his current legacy. Interesting:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/hardtalk/9493888.stm

Mana

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 08:39:51 PM »
Nothing so far from Lobsang Sangay regarding the Shugden ban or practice. We will have to keep an eye out for anything. Interesting his people went to Shar Gaden to ask for them to vote for him before you won the elections.

Mana

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 09:08:21 PM »
I just watched Lobsang Sangay la’s statement on Regionalism at Lithang Tenshug 2008 here on this website: http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=8199

From the video, I believe he is a loyal person and if he's a Shugden practitioner like majority of Khampas/Lithangpas, then perhaps he wouldn't give up so easily, despite having 'renounced' the practice three years ago.

I personally hope that he will say something to lift the ban, but may be it's too early at this point as he has just assumed power. We just have to wait and see.

Mana

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 09:13:20 PM »
Lobsang Sangay will have to fall in line with the Dalai Lama's ban. If he was to criticize the ban, he would be removed from office very quickly. His only recourse is to stay quiet on the subject.

If he stands up he hits his head, if he sits he hits his bottom. He has to remain in between which is quite awkward. Let see for how long he can do the balancing act. Not easy for sure. Our sympathies are with him.

Mana

triesa

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 01:32:35 PM »
I have watched the video on Lobsang Sangay la’s statement on Regionalism at Lithang Tenshug 2008,
http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=8199.

In the video, he said (as translated in English) :

"Personally, I don't indulge myself in divisions based on region and religion. But these days in our society, when such thoughts and instances occur, sometimes one has to show one's own allegiance to the divisions clearly. Since this is the case in our community, I have taken the opportunity of Lithangs long life Prayers oferings to His Holiness to declare my allegiance to lithang region, even though I may be a single individual"

Sure he is a Harvard boy, he is also playing the situation very well and sensibly. From his speech, I can see that he can and will  juggle the Dorje Shugden issue well.  I hope he will continue to find the balance and by playing low on the DS issue. Just my 2 cents opinion.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 05:44:23 PM »
Extracted from interview from Lobsang Sangay. I wonder what other changes will he make?

Q: You just mentioned that many young Tibetans voted for you, hoping for 'change'. What changes will you bring?

A The biggest change was to vote for me. There was a lot of expectation for change, the voters wanted a change and they got that change. They voted for a man who is born in exile, a man who is not a monk; it is already a change.

To read he full article check out this url
http://www.rediff.com/news/slide-show/slide-show-1-interview-with-kalon-tripa-lobsang-sangay/20110603.htm

triesa

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 02:11:52 PM »
One of the questions asked in the interview  to lobsang Sangay :

Q : When did you decide to start campaigning for the post of Kalon Tripa?

A : At first, I did not have plans to run for the post of Kalon Tripa. Till the fall of 2009, I did not attend any special course. I remained in Harvard Law School, with the East Asian legal studies programme, mostly working on China-related programmes.

In early 2009, the Tibetan community started talking about the election of the Kalon Tripa, even a website was created. By fall 2009, I started to take courses in leadership, communication, election campaign and so on.

By spring 2010, it became serious; some national organisations began nominating me. I thought, "OK, why not give it a try". On Radio Free Asia, they had this weekly programme on democracy and the rule of law. I was often asked questions like, 'how to improve our legislative system?'

My answer was, "Candidates should go to the people, candidates should debate amongst themselves; they should share their policies and platforms, they need to be well-informed".

I said this all along. When this platform for the Kalon Tripa elections was offered to me, I thought I should do what I always preached: "Go to the people and debate about policies".

This was really appreciated by the people. Sometimes thousands turned out in monasteries, in schools, refugee settlements, everywhere. It was a first. I never asked for votes, I just said, these are my ideas, "If you don't like them, sorry to have wasted your time".

Lobsang Sangay is viewed as the Obama in Tibet, let's hope he will carry the "CHANGE" as he promised his people and go to the people and debate about policies on the ban of Dorje Shugden.