Author Topic: Trijang Rinpoche one of the Gelug greats  (Read 6055 times)

DharmaSpace

Trijang Rinpoche one of the Gelug greats
« on: June 16, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
When he was twenty-eight years old, for example, during a stay in Chatreng (cha phreng), Kham, he gave the jenang for the peaceful and wrathful forms of Padmasambhava and other Nyingma empowerments.

This was extracted from part of the Trijang RInpoche's bio, well it is very clear that Dorje Shugden is not sectarian. Normally a student capability and achievements are a reflection of the student's guru. Pabongka lama was the great influence in Trijang lama's life , hence if the student is not sectarian it means he probably learnt that from his great master who was also non sectarian.

Are these the actions of practitioners who worship demons and destroy Nyingma temples and Padmasambhava statues.

beggar

Re: Trijang Rinpoche one of the Gelug greats
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 05:54:19 PM »
How great, thanks for finding this. Such a short sentence but very meaningful.

So many contradictions, as always, but maybe not so much a contradiction after all?...

Like you pointed out Dharma Space, how can someone who worships a spirit and destroys Nyingma temples act in the same compassionate way that Trijang Rinpoche did? I remember many instances throughout Trijang Rinpoche's biography that talks about him giving teachings to people of different sects and he was very much respected by them too. In fact, it is them who request for the teachings (It's not that he just turns up and teaches them), so they must have held him in high regard.

His root guru Pabongka Rinpoche, although a very strong Gelugpa Lama, was also famous for giving teachings to followers of other sects. He was a real lama of the people, teaching both lay people and sangha. He was extremely compassionate to bring these teachings to so many people at a time when the teachings were meeting a shaky future.

How ironic, that two of Tibet's greatest teachers were so much respected and their teachings were sought after during their lifetime within Tibet, and now these very same teachers are ostracised and demonised.

It is illogical, as you have pointed out above. Also, a very basic argument - if they were really so evil and worshipped such a damaging, harmful spirit who makes his followers go to hell, then why are their unmistaken reincarnations back? And they are picking up right where they left off, still teaching and bringing Dharma to many in a new world. (I have said this many times before, I know - but isn't it a point worth repeating? It's so very clear!, so very logical!)

Such a great biography, truly. If you've just surfed onto this little corner of cyberspace and haven't read this biography yet, PLEASE DO! A great way to start a spiritual journey.

DSFriend

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:33:36 PM »
Thanks Dharma Space for the extract. Would the great lama Pabongkha Rinpoche who taught the lamrim, and his accomplished, extraordinary disciple Trijang Rinpoche, who was requested to write down what has been taught be sectarians? Impossible.

Even if these great lamas' actions come across to us as being sectarian or unacceptable, are we accomplished ourselves to perceive their intentions? I rather question myself than these holy beings.

icy

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:52:27 AM »
When he was twenty-eight years old, for example, during a stay in Chatreng (cha phreng), Kham, he gave the jenang for the peaceful and wrathful forms of Padmasambhava and other Nyingma empowerments.

This was extracted from part of the Trijang RInpoche's bio, well it is very clear that Dorje Shugden is not sectarian. Normally a student capability and achievements are a reflection of the student's guru. Pabongka lama was the great influence in Trijang lama's life , hence if the student is not sectarian it means he probably learnt that from his great master who was also non sectarian.

Are these the actions of practitioners who worship demons and destroy Nyingma temples and Padmasambhava statues.

We must remember that Lama Tsongkhapa's teaching is the synthesis of  the teaching from all 3 traditions and Dorje Shugden is the protector of Lama Tsongkhapa's teaching.  Hence, there is no logic to mention that Dorje Shugden is sectarian.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 05:20:23 PM »
@beggar People who call dorje shugden a spirit is like calling Buddha sectarian.

What Buddha can be sectarian. 

Through this site I have found evidence that all the other sects practiced dorje shugden before. So dorje shugden cannot be a sectarian practice as it enhances all lineages and traditions.  We need dorje shugden to protect Nagarjuna's precious view for all buddhists not just the Gelug lineage.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 08:02:06 PM »
@beggar People who call dorje shugden a spirit is like calling Buddha sectarian.

What Buddha can be sectarian. 

Through this site I have found evidence that all the other sects practiced dorje shugden before. So dorje shugden cannot be a sectarian practice as it enhances all lineages and traditions.  We need dorje shugden to protect Nagarjuna's precious view for all buddhists not just the Gelug lineage.

What Buddha can be sectarian, its more than that I think. What real practising BUDDHIST, let alone a lama or a Buddha, can be sectarian. If I see no difference between you and myself, how can I wish harm on you, and practise sectarianism to benefit myself? So people who call Dorje Shugden a spirit, or brand him as sectarian haven't grasped the first thing about his practice.. DS has a point, amen for this website!

Damian.D

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 08:24:55 PM »
Why not just spell it out to those people who don't understand what sectarian means in the context of Buddhism

Trijang Rinpoche was a Gelug, yet from the quote provided from the Biography that Trijang Rinpoche was giving empowerments of another sect of Buddhism.

1- Trijang Rinpoche learnt up on another sects practices.
2- Trijang Rinpoche learnt so well that he was qualified to give teachings on another sects practices for enlightenment.

Sectarian is this Gelug Lama.... i think this is totally false, it's sad that the amount of study practice and knowledge being lost with each generation is causing Buddhism to degenerate.

dsiluvu

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 03:34:17 PM »
Kyabke Trijang Dorje Chang being a Gelug was not sectarian and interestingly we can see another great example from Choyang Duldzin Kuten Lama...

During my tenure as Secretary I worked very hard for obtaining the funds for the monks’ quarters, not only for Ganden but also for Drepung, and the Nyingma and Sakya monks as well [that doesn’t sound very sectarian]. About sixteen quarters have been built, housing twenty monks in each building. Also two good committee halls have been built. In addition many cattle and two tractors were provided. All of these were provided by my appeals to the Indian government for help for funds and for special projects that were recommended strongly by the resident Indian officer here at the time.

After that experience I returned to Tibet but whenever I had some leisure time spontaneously I had this terrible experience of a fit of unconsciousness – at Kalimpong for example. When I returned to Phagri everyone expected the cause to be the Dharmapala Dorje Shugden. I was afraid that it was a harmful spirit, even the Dharmapala announced himself many times. Another reason why it was thought to be the Dharmapala is that this region has two major divisions – the upper part is Gelugpa, the lower part is Kagyupa. But Phagri itself has many traditions and Dharmapala Dorje Shugden is protector to all families there, irrespective of their traditions. [That doesn’t sound very sectarian…ifhe wasn’t a protector, would he help everyone?]

http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=1127

Hence this is why Dorje Shugden is a Buddha... in his eyes there is no SECT... there is just you and your karma. We should live inspired by such great masters' example.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 03:14:18 PM »
Just found another bio on Trijang RInpoch , I can never get enough of essays or articles that promote Lama Trijang.
http://www.tibetanlineages.org/biographies/view/Trijang%2003%20Lobzang%20Yeshe%20Tendzin%20Gyatso/4309

As my lama said before one can promote the many different aspects of the qualities of a teacher or a dharma text to instill faith for people to get closer to dharma. Many ways of looking and promoting Trijang rinpoche so people who come across such articles will develop faith and want to get close to Trijang Rinpoche. Many people will absolutely benefit when they receive teachings form Trijang RInpoche.

The more aspects we can bring out about Lama Trijang the more types of people will be benefitted by it , a variety of methods for a variety of beings.