Author Topic: Newly posted BBC video on NKT-Dalai Lama  (Read 5545 times)

thaimonk

Newly posted BBC video on NKT-Dalai Lama
« on: July 01, 2011, 08:45:13 PM »
There's a newly loaded video on the ban of Shugden and how NKT is involved. This video does not make NKT look good. It presentation seems maybe lop sided to me. They can also interview people who went away from the Dalai Lama also. Then it would seem fair. BBC doesn't make the Dalai Lama look good either. But then it's just my simple opinion.

You take a look and see how you feel:

http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=8474

Dalai Lama stresses he is against spirit worship. But it is not the right of the Dalai Lama in any democratic country to say what people can and cannot worship. When he speaks against any form of  worship, then he can be in legal and ethical problems. The whole idea of democracy is freedom of worship. Full stop.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 09:11:50 PM by Mana »

LosangKhyentse

• WORLD PEACE PROTECTOR DORJE SHUGDEN
Re: Newly posted BBC video on NKT-Dalai Lama
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 10:02:12 PM »
Interesting BBC have done this documentary. I've never heard of it till now. It was done a while back ago. The two sides are not portrayed fairly. The BBC did not portray the ban well at all nor enough for the general ignorant viewer to gather what is really happening. BBC made it into a mini war between NKT and Dalai Lama. The Dalai Lama seems very friendly and easy going which makes the viewer feel the ban is overhyped. Many people who have suffered under the ban has no chance to speak whatsoever. An unfair documentary, nevertheless bringing the Shugden ban more into the open.

TK

Helena

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 04:13:01 AM »
Yes, this BBC documentary is not new as TK rightly said.
And yes, it is interesting that the BBC had even made this documentary.
However, I don't like it. It does not present facts from both sides to educate the viewers and allow the viewers to decide for themselves.
I felt, it was done in a way as if to "sensationanalize" the ban and NKT. As if to portray NKT as a cult and anti-HHDL and that is all they do.
It is good that Dorje Shugden gets media attention but it is not good as viewers may not think much of the ban because BBC didn't show how badly people are actually suffering from the ban. How friends and families have been torn apart. The divide is as real as the wall erected to separate Gaden Shartse and Sha Gaden.

Hence, websites like these are important to shed more light without being agressive in any lama bashing. Just focus on promoting the harmful effects of the ban and the great benefits of the Protector. We have to keep promoting the Protector and educating the masses out there. They don't have to become DS practitioners but they can just empathize with us about how this ban should just be lifted.

Helena

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 08:49:45 AM »
It's definitely sensationalist, as Helena said. The BBC is usually better than this - and by not focusing on the real issues on both sides, it weakens the documentary significantly. The Dalai Lama says he is against spirit worship but he doesn't demonise the shamanistic Bon religion which I understand is still pervasive in Tibet. The Dalai Lama's own state oracle Nechung is an unenlightened Dharma protector! It's all so inconsistent.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 11:03:56 AM »
Just to add - in the latter part of the documentary, the Dalai Lama says, "Now it becomes public, it's very good!" - before the Dalai Lama banned Dorje Shugden, not many people outside of Tibet knew about Dorje Shugden. But with documentaries like this (which i'm not particularly crazy about as it's quite biased), articles in Time magazine, Newsweek etc, awareness of Dorje Shugden has certainly been raised!
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

dsiluvu

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 04:19:43 PM »
Agree that this documentary seems rather one sided. There is not enough real coverage to show both sides of the stories and how badly the ban has affected people's lives or what the TGIE did in order to exercise the ban.

They did not show warning signs being put out at shops to stop Ds practitioners from procuring. They did not show the many hit list names of Lamas and practitioners which they put out for people to identify or report. The seriousness of it all seems rather weak.

However, I guess because of BBC creating such an interview, I guess this is how it started people getting more curious and digging deeper in to Dorje Shugden. Bad publicity is publicity after all.

dondrup

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 05:09:38 PM »
I agree the documentary is rather biased in many ways. Those who have left NKT and interviewed in the documentary may be a just a minority.  Geshe Kelsang Gyatso has thousands followers from around the World consisting of mainly the Westerners.  Why would thousands still follow Geshe Kelsang till today if what those 'defactors' claimed is true?  Even if what they claimed is true, the followers have a choice to not follow Geshe-la.  That’s religious freedom. 

Nothing is presented by BBC to substantiate further what His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama said about Dorje Shugden is true.

For those who are totally new to the Tibetan Buddhism, they will not have a clear understanding of the Dorje Shugden issue by just viewing this BBC documentary alone. 

However thanks to BBC, Dorje Shugden and Tsongkhapa teachings were able to get free publicity.  Imagine the blessings that all the BBC viewers get by just having a glimpse of Dorje Shugden in this documentary!  The seed of enlightenment has already being planted in the minds of all these viewers worldwide!  How wonderful!

DSFriend

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »
Just to add - in the latter part of the documentary, the Dalai Lama says, "Now it becomes public, it's very good!" - before the Dalai Lama banned Dorje Shugden, not many people outside of Tibet knew about Dorje Shugden. But with documentaries like this (which i'm not particularly crazy about as it's quite biased), articles in Time magazine, Newsweek etc, awareness of Dorje Shugden has certainly been raised!

nobody has created so much publicity for dorje shugden as compared to HHDL... that's exactly what he wanted!

dsiluvu

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 04:36:04 AM »

nobody has created so much publicity for dorje shugden as compared to HHDL... that's exactly what he wanted!

SO SKILFUL! Indeed you would least expect that the person who appears to be banning the practice (in this case HHDL) to be the same person promoting DS in a big scale also. Who would think like this... it is crazy and it is precisely what is going on.

We will never know the working of "enlightened minds" but we can believe in the logic that if we say HHDL is enlightened and is compassionate... then our view also cannot be selective and one day view him good, next day evil... because the 2 just don't mix. So HHDL is either a Bodhisattva... so then good all the way or is Not... then bad all the way.

So could it be that HHDL, though hard for many of us to understand and accept now on the matter of DS, is for a long term goal, not the now goals as he prepares for his passing???