Author Topic: Dalai Lama's Influence on the wane  (Read 11715 times)

DharmaSpace

Dalai Lama's Influence on the wane
« on: July 07, 2011, 05:55:09 PM »
The Nepali recently prevented Tibetan rallies against China from happening on the birthday celebration of His Holiness the Dalai Lama's 76th birthday.
This shows that Nepal cares more about its relationship with China's financial aid rather than its relationship with the Dalai Lama. It would seem that China now has more the upper hand in influencing Nepal than India another supoerpower where the Dalai Lama resides in.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2011/07/06/2011-07-06_nepal_bans_tibetan_rallies_on_dalai_lamas_76th_birthday.html

Ensapa

• Email
Re: Dalai Lama's Influence on the wane
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 11:59:16 AM »
Nepal is clearly in need of cash. The decision of the government does not necessarily reflect the hearts of the people

DharmaSpace

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 12:58:04 PM »
@Ensapa I 've been following Dalai Lama's statements to the public since he announced his retirement and that he is giving up secular powers there don't seem to be anything that he has been mentioning about the the ban.
I grew up reading the Dalai Lama's works and I know that this great personage has brought much prestige to Buddhism and has indirectly turned the public relations in the West especially from a stance of nonchalance to one of respect for our faith. I do hope the Dalai Lama will return to help samsaric beings like me again. But the evidence are showing that the Dalai Lama is preparing to pass away.

beggar

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 06:17:53 PM »
A question to ponder? do you think the waning of power could be a good thing or a bad thing?

Is it good or bad for Tibetan Buddhism?

How will it contribute to growth of Dorje Shugden's practice? (if at all?)

Just interested to know what people think about the dalai lama's slow but steady withdrawal from the big scene...

Big Uncle

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 06:58:39 PM »
A question to ponder? do you think the waning of power could be a good thing or a bad thing?

Just interested to know what people think about the dalai lama's slow but steady withdrawal from the big scene...

This is interesting! In my opinion, the Dalai Lama's withdrawal at this juncture is good for Tibetan Buddhism. The Dalai Lama with all due respect is growing old and before the inevitable happens, he steps down and allow his followers at large to get used to the idea before he truly leaves us. In this way, he paves the way for future spiritual leaders within Tibetan Buddhism. However, it would be very hard for anyone else to fill in his shoes.

Well, we don't know if it would contribute to the spread of Dorje Shugden yet. But i think the Dalai Lama would from now on lessen his campaign against Dorje Shugden. In this way, the ban by default marks the period where the ban is slowly being lifted. It constitutes great hope that the ban would be lifted very soon. How soon is everybody's guess but the process for this has already started. It is just a matter of time before all would be made clear.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 02:07:48 AM »
i disagree that the Dalai Lama's influence is on the wane... news of his Kalachakra initiation was all over the net. His birthday was also celebrated in Tibet despite the very real threats (http://phayul.com/news/article.aspx?id=29728&article=Kardze+erupts+in+birthday+celebrations).

Of course all countries are nervous as hell of p*ssing off China, which is why Nepal clamped down, and the Australian PM never met the Dalai Lama. Even while the Dalai Lama is visiting US, Obama isn't meeting up with him. All these are just political posturing and it doesn't mean that the Dalai Lama is losing influence. In fact, by these officials not meeting with him, i think it's giving the Dalai Lama more of an international sympathy vote - i.e. it's the big bad money-minded, money-making countries discriminating against the little ol' peace-loving monk.

In that sense, i think it's good for Tibetan Buddhism!

With regard to the Dalai Lama and Dorje Shugden, it is interesting that he has not mentioned Shugden during the transfer of power. The new Prime Minister Sangay hasn't mentioned him either. Everything seems to be quiet on the eastern front. But the calm sometimes comes before a storm so who knows what is up the Dalai Lama's maroon sleeves. Perhaps he's getting ready to let the ban fade out, perhaps not... as always, only time will tell.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

shugdenprotect

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 05:15:10 AM »
HH's waning power on a political level is a good thing.

This will only put all focus on His spiritual role. As ensapa said, the act of the Nepalese government (a political body) may not reflect the sentiments of the people - the actual/direct spiritual practitioners. Less contact with political personalities like Obama may not be a bad thing either as it moves HH further away from politics, aligned to His declaration in March this year. Additionally, WB said that HH's big exposure for the Kalachakra Initiation shows that His influence on the spiritual world is as celebrated as ever...this influence could even be growing as HH is now 100% into spirituality with no secular role.

I pray hard that all this will bring an end to the storm of Tibetan Buddhism so that we can all move forward and upward in practicing pure Dharma and highly attained masters can freely turn the wheel of Dharma in all ten directions with no political hindrances during this degenerate age.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 08:15:52 AM »
Just to add, i think that HH the Dalai Lama's influence is not on the wane because if it was, China would not still be so anxious about whether other world leaders are meeting with him. Especially as the Dalai Lama has retired from the political role and now he is presenting himself as a purely spiritual leader. The Dalai Lama is not getting any younger, Tibet has been pretty much assimilated into China and any dissent is quickly dealt with. What is China so worried about? A 76 year old retired head of an exiled government which has no legal standing? I find it interesting.

DSFriend

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 09:14:36 AM »

With regard to the Dalai Lama and Dorje Shugden, it is interesting that he has not mentioned Shugden during the transfer of power. The new Prime Minister Sangay hasn't mentioned him either. Everything seems to be quiet on the eastern front. But the calm sometimes comes before a storm so who knows what is up the Dalai Lama's maroon sleeves. Perhaps he's getting ready to let the ban fade out, perhaps not... as always, only time will tell.

I take it that it is good that Shugden wasn't mentioned during the transfer of power...nor any other religious matters. After hundreds of years of mixing religion and politics, there must be quite a clean up/ or reworking of governmental ruling etc.. If the new direction is to not mix religion and politics, TGIE should work towards a clean break.

Positive Change

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 10:16:54 AM »
I personally do not think the Dalai Lama's influence will ever wane. Not while he is alive and not certainly after he has chosen to leave this life. The actions of an enlightened being goes beyond our limited mindset. HH's intentions and motivation I believe are pure and there is certainly a higher purpose to HH's actions.

Reading the post in the forum month's back when HH's made a statement about how he would relinquish his political/secular "power", there were a lot of us that mentioned it made no difference apart from the fact that HH's could not concentrate solely on spiritual matters and even reach out to even more without the ball and chain of politics!

Hence, I reckon HH is making plans that will reveal itself fairly soon and it WILL be for the benefit of all and of course Buddha's teachings!

Tammy

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 03:38:28 PM »
It is sad to see Sanga members and religion to be used by governments for political reasons.

Doesnt matter if Dalai Lama's influence is on the wane, he reminds one of few ppl who inspires me.

May he live long to turn the wheel of dharma..
Down with the BAN!!!

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 08:12:47 PM »
I think this topic is very interesting. Now, let's look at Dalai Lama's  "influence" from a different perspective.

Since the Great Fifth Dalai Lama founded the Ganden Phodrang government of Tibet in 1642, the successive Dalai Lamas have headed the Tibetan state for nearly four centuries. But none can compete with the work and influence of the current Fourteenth Dalai Lama who is universally recognised by Tibetans in and outside Tibet as their undisputed leader, also many more globally who believes in his teachings and the cause of Tibet.

The TGIE is now faced with handing the power of the Ganden Phodrang dynasty to a democratic elected leadership of a 100,000 exile Tibetans, but what can the 100,000 exile Tibetans do on their own now?

I personally believe it's not Dalai Lama's influence that is on the wane, but rather the TGIE. His Holiness the Dalai Lama has of course, lost some support of the younger Tibetans, but The Dalai Lama institution is the only 'legitimate', valid and undisputed institutional link to the Tibetan nation, as it existed before the Chinese occupation. Do we seriously think the Central Tibetan Administration is qualified to uphold its legal claim for the succession of the Tibetan government of pre-1959 after the demise of the Dalai Lama ? Pre-1959 Dalai Lama's influence was around 1 million Tibetans? Now, the name His Holiness the Dalai Lama is known throughout the world and plants imprints of Buddhism in their mind.

icy

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 04:50:48 AM »
Historically the "Dalai Lama Dynasty" had held much mystic, intrigue, spiritualism and power till today.   It is a stronghold in the Buddhist sphere around the world and is still gaining popularity despite the pressure from China to disassociate from him.  Of course political play of relationships appears on the surface to humour China.   However it can be seen from the international news influential politicians are meeting the Dalai Lama on the backstage to avoid China's fury.

It is a wonder viewing at the angle of  threats from a giant, a world super power to a miniscule kingdom on exile who still could command the world's audience be it political or spiritualism.  I think the Dalai Lama has taken the back seat to allow Tibetans to organize politically into the future but it does not necessarily mean his influence is waning.

WoselTenzin

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 09:30:02 AM »
I guess the imprint in the minds of many that Dalai Lama is an enlightened being, Chenrezig himself is difficult to erase despite evidence of his unscrupulous involvement in the anti Dorje Shugden movement.  The culture of viewing the Dalai Lama purely for centuries cannot be eradicated overnight.  For the uneducated lay people of Tibet, it is unthinkable for them to see Dalai Lama as anything other than Buddha of Compassion.  For them, the influence of Dalai Lama on them is still strong.

To the educated mass of the world who only look at logic, the answer is clear.  Dalai Lama is the greatest violator of human rights.  However, to the Tibetan people who has held steadfastly to the practice of Dorje Shugden, they are torn between their allegiance to Dalai Lama and Dorje Shugden and their guru who gave them the practice but ultimately being Tibetan Buddhist where the guru is the ultimate refuge, Dalai Lama would not stand a chance if they are asked to choose.

Finally, the Dalai Lama still has the support of the traitors of DS practice who only want political favours and power from him.

Looking at the situation in totality, it is clear that the Dalai Lama's influence is never as strong as before any more.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 10:20:18 AM »
With the scheduled meeting between the Dalai Lama and President Obama today, it looks like the Dalai Lama is being used as a pawn for the US to flex their muscles to the Chinese government. I believe it's a meeting that HAS to happen - for fear of the US looking weak to China. Of course Obama gets brownie points for looking firm in supporting the underdog but i think the bigger picture is more than the Dalai Lama and Tibet. The Americans are just taking advantage of the situation for their own benefit. The Americans ignored China's demand to not meet with the Dalai Lama last year and they will continue to stay on the same track.

I wonder what the President thinks of the Dalai Lama's ban against Shugden practitioners and the subsequent hardships that have followed though. Perhaps China should focus on that issue when addressing the issue of the Dalai Lama rather than the same old same old "separatist" allegations.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/16/us-usa-obama-dalailama-idUSTRE76E6UK20110716

China calls on Obama to cancel Dalai Lama meeting

By Laura MacInnis and Jason Subler

WASHINGTON/SHANGHAI | Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:09pm EDT
(Reuters) - China urged the United States to cancel a scheduled meeting between President Barack Obama and exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama at the White House on Saturday, saying such a meeting would harm U.S.-China relations.

The White House announced on Friday that Obama would speak with the Dalai Lama about Tibet in their first meeting in more than a year. The announcement upset China, which was already on edge about the Dalai Lama's meetings with U.S. congressional leaders and the potential for a U.S. debt default.

"This meeting underscores the president's strong support for the preservation of Tibet's unique religious, cultural and linguistic identity and the protection of human rights for Tibetans," the White House said in a statement.

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei said in a statement on the ministry's website: "We firmly oppose any senior foreign government officials meeting with the Dalai Lama in any way."

Hong said China called on the United States to "cancel the decision for Obama to meet the Dalai Lama as soon as possible, and not do anything that could interfere with China's internal affairs or harm China-U.S. relations."

China accuses the Dalai Lama of being a separatist who supports the use of violence to set up an independent Tibet. The Nobel Prize laureate denies this, saying he wants a peaceful transition to autonomy for the remote Himalayan region that China has ruled with an iron fist since 1950, when Chinese troops marched in.

There was no immediate comment from the White House on China's call for the meeting to be canceled.

Beijing warned the United States to stay out of its affairs last week after top lawmakers including House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner, the top Republican in Congress, and top House Democrat Nancy Pelosi met the Dalai Lama during his 10-day visit to Washington.

'ENDURING SUPPORT'

Saturday's meeting in the White House Map Room is expected to last at least 30 minutes and will be closed to the news media. The Obama administration said the question of Tibet is likely to come up during the meeting.

"The president will highlight his enduring support for dialogue between the Dalai Lama's representatives and the Chinese government to resolve differences," the White House said in the statement issued earlier on Friday.

Kate Saunders, a spokeswoman for the International Campaign for Tibet, a human rights group that works closely with Tibetan exiles, said Tibet's capital Lhasa was "under virtual lockdown" ahead of the anniversary of the 1950 invasion.

"The meeting is a significant acknowledgment by the White House of the importance of direct discussion between President Obama and the Dalai Lama at a time of crisis in Tibet," Saunders said.

China's foreign ministry has alleged the Dalai Lama -- who fled to India in 1959 after a failed uprising -- is using his U.S. trip "to engage in activities to split the motherland" and has made clear its opposition to U.S. engagement on Tibet.

"The affairs of Tibet are a purely Chinese internal matter, and China resolutely opposes any country or any person interfering in China's internal affairs on the issue of Tibet," the Chinese foreign ministry said on July 9.

Obama last met the Dalai Lama in February 2010, in a visit that drew a strong denunciation from Beijing.

Saturday's White House meeting comes at an extra sensitive moment for China, the United States' biggest creditor, with leaders in Washington at odds over how to raise the $14.3 trillion U.S. debt ceiling in time to avoid default.

China holds more than $1 trillion in U.S. Treasury debt and would be particularly exposed should Congress fail to reach a deal by August 2. A U.S. default could rocket up interest rates, sink the value of the U.S. dollar and hurt the global economy.

Beijing has urged Washington to "adopt responsible policies and measures to guarantee the interests of investors." Obama has asked for congressional leaders to give him proposals by Saturday on how to advance talks on a deal.

(Additional reporting by Jeff Mason in WASHINGTON; editing by Todd Eastham)