Author Topic: Jampa Ling's Dorje Shugden Chapel and Dorje Shugden Puja!  (Read 11141 times)

Mana

Jampa Ling's Dorje Shugden Chapel and Dorje Shugden Puja!
« on: September 09, 2011, 04:22:42 PM »
Jampa Ling is located in Chamdo, Tibet. It was buily by Lord Tsongkhapa’s disciple in 1444.
It has 12 dratsangs and there used to be 5000 monks during its prime. It is surrounded by many small chapels, currently it has 1300 monks and this monastery practises Dorje Shugden strongly.

Dorje Shugden puja is conducted regularly in this monastery

The Dorje Shugden Chapel in Jampa Ling

Dorje Shugden Mandala

Dorje Shugden statue

Yamantaka statue

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 07:24:32 AM by Mana »

Zach

Re: Jampa Ling's Dorje Shugden Chapel and Dorje Shugden Puja!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 11:03:49 PM »
Jampa ling isnt that the monastry Geshe Kelsang helped to restore in the 80's ?

thaimonk

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 07:29:48 AM »

If that is so, that is beautiful.

Where did you hear that from? What source? Very interesting.

Mana

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 07:30:25 AM »

I dont think so, the one Geshe Kelsang restored is called Ngamring Jampa Ling  which is located in Shigatse Prefecture Tibet, this Jampa Ling is in Chamdo, Kham area.

Mana

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 07:33:29 AM »
Overlooking the town of Chamdo, the monastery of Chamdo Jampa Ling (chab mdo byams pa gling) is situated on a hill above the confluence of the rivers Dza Chu (Mekong) and Ngom Chu. It was founded as one of the earliest Gelugpa institutions apart from Ue-Tsang. A local legend has it that when Tsongkhapa traveled from Amdo to central Tibet and came through Chamdo in 1373, he predicted that the Buddhist Doctrine would thrive there one day. This prophecy came true some seven decades later, in 1437, when one of Tsongkhapa’s disciples named Jangsem Sherab Sangpo laid the foundations for a big lamasery.

Sherab Sangpo was a native of Kham who first studied at Sera monastery in Lhasa. As he was very much impressed with the high standard of spiritual and intelectual attainments on the part of many scholars there, he once thought to himself, ‘On my return home I should like to do something similar for the welfare of the people.’ Byan[g]-chub-hbum, an important personage at Sera, read his mind and invited him to his own room. The guest was given many gifts and was told, ‘I understand you will soon return to Hsi-khang [= Kham] to propagate the doctrine, hence these small gifts.’ The guest was surprised, saying: ‘I did not speak of returning to Hsi-kang. Do I understand that I am not welcome here? I shall ask Rgyal-tshab-rje about this. Maybe he will let me stay.’ He went to Dgah-ldan [Ganden] to see him. But strange enough, this senior disciple of Tson[g]-kha-pa did not persuade him to remain in Tibet either, but instead encouraged him to go to Chab-mdo and gave him many gifts. Consequently, in 1437 he built the monastery Byams-pa-glin[g] at Chab-mdo, the first in Hsi-kang.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 07:35:07 AM by Mana »

Zach

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 02:46:55 PM »

I dont think so, the one Geshe Kelsang restored is called Ngamring Jampa Ling  which is located in Shigatse Prefecture Tibet, this Jampa Ling is in Chamdo, Kham area.

Oh I see :) I wonder how that one is getting on as well.

thor

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 02:36:47 AM »
That is correct, see below from Wiki:

His (Geshe Kelsang's) mother made great sacrifices to enable her son to attend the Ngamring Jampa Ling Monastery because he showed interest and aptitude from an early age. He joined the monastery when he was 8 years old and later described memorizing the Medicine Buddha Sutra:

"In my first monastery, Jampa Ling, this was the principal practice. The Tibetan translation of the Sutra is about fifty pages long. I memorized this together with some additional prayers, because this was one of the commitments for being able to stay in the monastery."

(In November 1986, Geshe Kelsang oversaw the rebuilding of Ngamring Jampa Ling Monastery after its destruction, and it was fully restored and reopened by September 1988.)

Barzin

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 12:38:58 AM »
Wow this is magnificence!    And the pictures are nice too!  It's a great blessing to see this picture and thankyou to the people behind this website always provide us the rare footage and pictures,  Thankyou!

I love to see the authentic monastery and pictures of the high lamas and of course our precious protector.  It is very nice to see Lama Tsongkhapa's teachings is inseparable with Shugden's practice...  They are always side by side and revered by many.  wonderful!

whitelion

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 04:33:54 PM »
Thanks Mana for the wonderful pictures. This is really inspiring, a monastery that builded by the Sage Lama Tsongkhapa's student is still in use now. It's look like it's a community by itself to me. This place is very breath taking even thought I just saw it from the pictures that posted here, the holy sangha busy doing puja and debate, this small sangha community that used to consisted 5000 monks at it peak. I like the DS mural the most among all pictures, it looks so authentic.
I was thinking even one of the Lama Tsongkhapa disciple's monastery promoting DS strongly and openly how can it be wrong ? And if it's a evil place, how can it last for so many years and no one actually come and subdue the evil ?
This makes me think...

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 08:22:31 PM »
I was thinking even one of the Lama Tsongkhapa disciple's monastery promoting DS strongly and openly how can it be wrong ? And if it's a evil place, how can it last for so many years and no one actually come and subdue the evil ?

I agree with you whitelion, if we alienate this practice, which is a heart practice of many great Gelug masters, then what is to stop us from alienating/ discriminating more or other practices? Then, we become the masters and not our gurus. It is also saying that all the lineage gurus who did this practice is wrong as well.

Damian.D

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 10:17:56 PM »
Its as if there is no ban  in the land of snows. The statue behind the cloth is totally mesmerizing. I don't know whether its the fact that there are soo many men of the cloth practicing uninterrupted in their monastery or the fact that the statue feels totally alive from most probably countless pujas but its so nice to know that this is strong and ongoing in Tibet.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 10:53:45 AM »
Sherab Sangpo was a native of Kham who first studied at Sera monastery in Lhasa. As he was very much impressed with the high standard of spiritual and intelectual attainments on the part of many scholars there, he once thought to himself, ‘On my return home I should like to do something similar for the welfare of the people.’

Mana, thats a sick picture!

You know, Ive always been taught that the best gift to give someone is Dharma. The other stuff we usually give one another can only be used once or twice, or at the very least it will last us for just this lifetime. But the benefits of dharma go on from lifetime to lifetime, so Dharma really does look after the welfare of people.

But thats not really something my mates understand. Ive had them ask me, "Why bother? Once I die, thats it innit?" Well even if I dont believe in reincarnation (which I do...believe in reincarnation I mean), Dharma still helps people because it teaches us to be compassionate - when Dharma tells us to push ourselves to help others, or to be considerate of how others feel, how can that be a bad thing?

So then my mates ask me, "Well I dont need religion for that" but yeah you do. Dharma also teaches you how to be there for your loved ones when they need you most. Like when someone dies, with Dharma knowledge I can do something more to comfort them than just be considerate, sending a wreath and offering them my condolences. For example, if I do my Protector practice well, I can give him to people when they need him, especially the deceased person.

So yeah, I like that Sherab Sangpo said he wanted to do something for the welfare of people, and built a monastery!

Mana

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 11:41:41 PM »
More recent photos of some big event at Jampa Ling:

Can someone tell what is the protector at the lower right corner of the thangka above? It looks like Shiptak Gyene with the white hat, but the body color is different...any idea?

SHIPTAK GYENE

SHIPTAK GYENE

dsiluvu

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 10:55:38 AM »
It really is interesting seeing how Tibet (now part of China) have so many monasteries that are actively practicing Dorje Shugden so freely. The more the ban is fanned, the more the wind blows it to East. We are hearing more and more DS strong monasteries there.   

There is about 1.3billion people in China and if Dorje Shugden practice is accepted there, it means Chinese ppl there can easily pick up and practice which I hope they will. As their economy grow so will depression, hence the need is there.

I cannot begin to phantom what is the Dalai Lama thinking about all this but the remarkable thing is even if all 140,000 Tibetan's stop practicing Ds - unlikely... seems like 3 times more will be doing so in China, and that is being conservative, not including those outside Tibet/India.

Where will the Great King arise from? Go figure  ;)

Gabby Potter

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 12:05:50 PM »
This is good to read about, I pray that may many more monasteries embrace this sacred practise of Dorje Shugden. Dorje Shugden is definitely an enlightened Buddha as there are proofs to this, may His sacred practise spread far and wide.