Author Topic: Dorje Shugden cartoon degrades Shakyamuni, Manjushri and Tsongkhapa?  (Read 17011 times)

Big Uncle

SHUGDEN CARTOON GETS RAVE REVIEWS
A prequel for the announced movie about Shugden?

(taken from an anti-NKT site http://www.nktworld.org/cartoon.html)

The NKT support group that announced a few months ago that Shugden reincarnated a few decades ago just released a 29 minute cartoon of the story of Shugden. The group says that its Shugden cartoon cost $7,000 to produce.

Fans loved it.

"I am continuously amazed at the amount of effort, expenses, time and devotion you put towards the education of Dorje Shugden' practice."

"Incredible innovation – what an unique way to bring Dorje Shugden's blessed story out to the world. I'm sure many people relate to a visual form more than reading big old books. I think it would also be a nice learning tool (bedtime story?) for children to learn the history and story of such an incredible being. "

"Great idea to have it translated into Chinese. I really love this Illustrated Story with Narration! Have watched it again and again! I can easily share this with so many friends and their children!"

"Your team has done incredibly well IN SUCH A SHORT TIME ! I prostrate to you."

"Uuuuuummmazing! This illustration is the kind adaptation to our degenerate time."

"It's hardly been 10 days since this comic video's been uploaded to the site and there are already 1306 viewers!"

"Watching the illustrated story of Dorje Shugden brought tears to my eyes. Will there be a comic version?"

"Can't wait for the comic book."

"The comic book coming out does indeed sound very exciting."

Subtitled in Chinese, the cartoon reviews the Shugden story...Shugden and Tsongkhapa were both emanations of Manjushri, who emanated a thousand years earlier as a student of the "historical sage" Shakyamuni.

The cartoon continues...

One purpose of protectors, eg Shugden, is to bring us money.

Birwapa was the first recorded lineage master of the Shugden lineage. Famed for his miracles (like stopping the rotation of the earth for 3 days to get out of paying for his bar bill), he lived during the 9th century and was one of the legendary 84 masidhas of India.

A photograph of Shugden in his current life of 30+ years has not yet been released.

Lord Duldzin Drakpa Gyeltsen is the next key incarnated emanation. He was one of Tsongkhapa's 8 closest students (thus, according to the story, Manjushri had emanated as 2 human beings living at the same time, Tsonghkapa and Duldzin Drakpa Gyeltsen).

To Duldzin Drakpa Gyeltsen, the Tibetan protector Nechung appeared as a white dove who turned into a young boy, asking Duldzin Drakpa Gyeltson to protect Tsongkhapa's teachings because Nechung could not get around to this because his duty was to protect Buddhism generally and did not have the resources to protect Tsongkhapa's teachings.

Duldzin Drakpa Gyeltsen promised he would do so.

In his next life, Duldzin Drakpa Gyeltsen manifested as Panchen Sonam Drakpa (the 15th Ganden Tripa; notably later Ganden Tripas denounced Shugden), who wrote 11 volumes that serve today as the basis for Geshe training.

Panchen Sonam Drakpa returned as a young boy, Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen, whose birth shook the earth.

By 18, he had meditated in hundreds of Tibetan caves, in which he saw many Buddhas.

He had to keep moving from cave to cave because his fame spread like wildfire, often compared to the Great 5th Dalai Lama.

Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen spoke with Nechung, who reminded him of the promise his incarnate predecessor made to protect Tsongkhapa's teachings.

Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen did not remember such a promise until he ate rice blessed by Nechung, though told Nechung that he did not have the required anger in his mind stream.

Nechung gave him help, fanning whispers of discontent in students of the 5th Dalai Lama, leading them to fear Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen and their decision to kill him.

They tried poison. No effect. They tried stabbing him, only for eyes to form wherever he was stabbed.

Out of compassion and realizing what needed to be done, Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen told them that there was only one way to kill him, by choking him.

And so they did, heading Norchung's help and Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen's recommendation. (thus, if there is anyone to blame for his purported murder, it is Nechung and Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen according to the Shugden story)

Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen passed into his next emanation, Shugden (who would not reincarnate until a few hundred years later, a few decades ago, though he remains in hiding).

The Shugden story claims that the 5th Dalai Lama accepted Shugden as an emanation of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen, and the practice of Dorje Shugden then began.

According to the story, Shugden became a Sakya protector for 300 years (disputed by Sakyas, who generally fear Shugden; furthermore, whatever happened to the promise made by Shugden during at least 2 prior incarnations to protect Gelugpa Tsonkhapa's teachings?).

Hundreds of years after the passing of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen, the Gelugpa Lama Tagphu Pemavagra arose. He was well known for traveling to many celestial places. Once, Tagphu Pemavagra went to Ganden heaven, the future paradise of the future Buddha Maitreya and saw Tsongkhapa and his 8 main desciples, one of whom was Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen (the story seems inconsistent here, because Duldzin Drakpa Gyeltsen was one of the 8 and predated Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen a couple hundred years).

To Tagphu Pemavagra the mandela of Dorje Shugden appeared and Tagphu Pemavagra received the teachings of the practice of Dorje Shugden from Dorje Shugden himself.

Tagphu Pemavagra returned and passed down the teachings to Pabongkha, who had a mediocre academic career and was often ridiculed for being dull. Everything changed when he met Tagphu Pemavagra.

To Pabongkha Heruka promised to help for 7 generations anyone who practiced Heruka's teachings.

Pabingkha became known as a living emanation of Heruka and composed prayers, teaching everyone in Tibet that Dorje Shugden wold become the protector of Gelugpas for years to come, advising that we must bring him to the world now and worship him.

Apparently, therefore, according to the Shugden story, the function of Shugden as a protector of the Gelugpa and his purported worship by the Gelugpa began about 100 years ago.

In 1949, because Pabongkha felt that he could not leave Tibet amidst its invasion by the Chinese army, forsaw that the Dorje Shugden lineage could be lost, and so passed the entire lineage to his student Trijang. (thus, if Trijang would have died during his escape from Tibet, Shugden worship would have died with him)

Trijang brought Dorje Shugden teachings from Tibet to India and wrote the definitive source of Dorje Shugden protector practice today - Music Delighting the Ocean of Protectors.

Thousand of people thus receive Dorje Shugden teachings today (not millions as NKT has often claimed; notably, these thousands must largely be NKTites, who number in the thousands according to NKT).

A fascinating story indeed, appropriately served to us as a cartoon.

The upcoming movie, 'Dorje Shugden, Now on the Trail of a Buddhist Protector', whose producers are now seeking donations via credit card, may be even more fascinating.

Hearing from the living Shugden who reincarnated a few decades ago would be better, wouldn't it?

Editors Note:
We find nothing credible about this Shugden cartoon. It degrades Shakyamuni, Manjushri and Tsongkhapa as well as Tibetan Buddhism. The notion of making a comic book version is disgusting.

Marching against the current 75 year old Dalai Lama for this? Ridiculous. No wonder the Dalai Lama does not encourage Shugdenism.

Zach

Re: Dorje Shugden cartoon degrades Shakyamuni, Manjushri and Tsongkhapa?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 05:14:50 PM »
NKT world=

DharmaDefender

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 07:20:02 PM »
Theyre not referring to the Illustrated Story on this site are they? Either way, what a lot of stooges. How can Tsongkhapa, Shakyamuni and Manjushri be degraded? From their side theyre enlightened beings! And from the lay practitoners' side - jeebus, forgive people for trying to bring the Protector practice to others using new methods.

Hearing from the living Shugden who reincarnated a few decades ago would be better, wouldn't it?

And ha, as if theyd ever believe he was the reincarnation, even if he had written proof from the Protector himself.

I really hate it when people attempt to mask their bias with a veil of objectivity.

Lineageholder

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:46:07 PM »
There's only one really active anti-NKT/Shugden campaigner in this world:

Ladies and gentlemen, it's MOOSE from Phayul (read "fail"), aka Namkhah on some websites, and aka dholgyal on Tricycle blog.

He thinks he's hiding his identity by adopting all these different names, but in reality it's the same  person - the same style, the same subjects, the same righteous indignation. He contributes 99.9% of stuff to nktworld as well.  He's an avid reader of this site too, so expect something soon on Phayul.

He's obviously got a lot of time to waste.

Zach

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:57:40 PM »
There's only one really active anti-NKT/Shugden campaigner in this world:

Ladies and gentlemen, it's MOOSE from Phayul (read "fail"), aka Namkhah on some websites, and aka dholgyal on Tricycle blog.

He thinks he's hiding his identity by adopting all these different names, but in reality it's the same  person - the same style, the same subjects, the same righteous indignation. He contributes 99.9% of stuff to nktworld as well.  He's an avid reader of this site too, so expect something soon on Phayul.

He's obviously got a lot of time to waste.

Shame if he spent as much time investing in meditation as he did hatred he'd be enlightened by now :)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 11:16:10 PM »
Any publicity is good publicity so thank you very much to NKTworld for highlighting the illustrated story!

It's sad that Buddhists of any lineage wish to spread hatred... which is so contradictory to Buddhism. Anger and hatred are one of the root delusions and is something I have not seen here on this website, thankfully. If people don't agree with what we are practising, don't practise!! Simple as that. Why go on a rampage against us? Why not go on a rampage against tirthikas or non-Buddhists?? It's like the Protestant/Catholic wars - so much bloodshed and waste in the name of Christ and both parties are Christians... have we not learned from history?? We are all Buddhists and do we really need to fight among ourselves? What a fine example of Buddhist loving kindness.

To everyone who hates Shugden and makes it their life mission to degrade him, let's shoot arrows of flowers of compassion at them as they will incur such negative karma for insulting an enlightened being. As DharmaDefender says, the Buddhas cannot be degraded, but the karma will be effected on our side. Om mani padme hum.

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

DharmaDefender

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 03:12:16 AM »
Any publicity is good publicity so thank you very much to NKTworld for highlighting the illustrated story!

You bring up a good point... obviously the storys a big enough deal for someone else to take notice, and make a big enough impact on them to write an entire article about it! Write more and it drives traffic to the website haha

WB I wouldnt call them Buddhists. Lets not associate Buddhas name with acts of hate, anger and rage. If we can teach about not criticising other religions, why do we criticise our own in the name of Buddha?

thor

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 05:08:40 AM »
[Editors Note:
We find nothing credible about this Shugden cartoon. It degrades Shakyamuni, Manjushri and Tsongkhapa as well as Tibetan Buddhism. The notion of making a comic book version is disgusting.

Marching against the current 75 year old Dalai Lama for this? Ridiculous. No wonder the Dalai Lama does not encourage Shugdenism.

How silly. If that is the case, better tell all the publishers to stop making comics, cartoons and kids illustrated story books of the Buddha's life story. One of the obvious reasons for translating the story to such a medium is to attract a different generation, and to educate the kids. If Dorje Shugden's detractors are going to jump up and down with such silly points, it is almost not worth debating with them...

Barzin

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 10:25:14 AM »
I have seen cartoon images of Buddha.  Degrading?  My cousins learn from it.  Since young, they will say "Buddha".  Thanks to the cartoon.  I think it is such a great way to engaging younger crowd and mangga fans...  I mean, yes isnt't Thangka a form of painting too?  Buddha is Buddha, whether Buddha is painting, stone carving, cartoon or a billboard.  Buddha is Buddha, you can't take away his qualities from him?  It is silly to pick a bone out of the egg. 

Judging from the response of the comic, it seems very receptive.  Imagine thousands of people are going to take a peak at Manjushri himself, a seed of manjushri is about to be planted into those who see the comic.  How wonderful!

Nothing to shout about?  Check carefully, all the names and mentioned in the biography are either high attained masters or scholars who had leave wonderful scripture text behind... if not, we don't even exist!  They look silly in a comic?  Not when they have something to learn us one or two.  Better learn from it.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 01:05:39 PM »
While this person is ranting about something good, the other more progressive religions and faiths are using every modern method to reach out and share their faiths with others. Buddhists have to be progressive too. I was speaking to Theravadan monks and they said their methods to reach out to the younger crowd needs to be change with the times.

There are old comics of Buddha Shakyamuni are those degrading too? Comics for me is just a medium to share information. A buddha cannot be stained by what you call it, or label it to be or how you represent it in the form of an image. But Buddhism can be degraded by people who constantly try to divide Buddhist Practitioners all the time.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 01:23:54 PM »

You bring up a good point... obviously the storys a big enough deal for someone else to take notice, and make a big enough impact on them to write an entire article about it! Write more and it drives traffic to the website haha

WB I wouldnt call them Buddhists. Lets not associate Buddhas name with acts of hate, anger and rage. If we can teach about not criticising other religions, why do we criticise our own in the name of Buddha?

Dear DharmaDefender,

You're right - for the anti-Shugden brigade to write a whole article about the illustrated story is pretty impressive! It must really get their goat!

It's a pity though that they have nothing better to criticise than a comic, which is pretty common as an education tool. I guess it's because there's nothing left to criticise!
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

diamond girl

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 01:56:34 PM »
They are just simply jealous FULL STOP. This website does good work and gives ample information for people to decide for themselves. My respect and salute to the people behind this website and the illustrated cartoon of Dorje Shugden.

Aurore

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »
Isn't it a buddhist practice to rejoice in other's efforts?

When I watched the cartoon, I was thinking that there's so much hard work has been put into coming up with something easily understood for the mass community. Not everyone is scholarly and we shouldn't look down upon those who aren't. I don't consider myself scholarly and I enjoy looking at arts much more then reading some long winded text. There's just many types of people and this is just a form of medium to communicate to a certain group of people.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 05:54:26 AM »
Isn't it a buddhist practice to rejoice in other's efforts?

It is a Buddhist practice but seriously speaking, how 'Buddhist' let alone Dharmic are many anti-Shugden (or even pro-Shugden) people? All this in-fighting and arguing... pro-Shugden people should know better than that because it really isnt what the protector practice teaches us. And anti-Shugden people should take a leaf out of His Holiness' books on compassion and bodhicitta, and have pity on us practitioners who are SUPPOSEDLY going to the three lower realms because of our protector practice (funny that - I couldve sworn I was going to the three lower realms for all of the nasty things Ive done in my life, and not because of my practice).

When we ask "isnt it a..." - Ive learned recently that when we expect people to be logical, oftentimes our expectations will not be met, especially when its related to our protector practice... so either have expectations and prepare to be disappointed, or have no expectations and always be pleasantly surprised! ;)

Big Uncle

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 04:24:44 AM »
Haha! Thank you for the little uproar. I share your sentiments about this criticism as well. However, whatever good work we do, there will always be detractors and naysayers. I guess, it can be a good thing as well as someone mentioned that as it brings further publicity to the video. I cannot agree more and I think some people just cannot find it in their heart to rejoice in the good work of others. Even if I were against NKT, I would not criticize it as such.