Author Topic: We are so important, our problems matter: WSS’s new campaign  (Read 11903 times)

Mana

We are so important, our problems matter: WSS’s new campaign
« on: October 23, 2011, 04:32:03 PM »
taken from: http://thedorjeshugdengroup.wordpress.com/2011/10/22/we-are-so-important-our-problems-matter-wsss-new-campaign/

After some time of silence the Western Shugden Society (WSS) / New Kadamapa Tradition (NKT) has picked up again the unilateral fight against the Dalai Lama in the name of “justice” and “religious freedom” etc. At least the WSS runs a new trial of that campaign.

This time I am deliberately saying that they “run a campaign against the Dalai Lama” because a good friend of mine in whom I have trust and who read the WSS book “A Great Deception” said it is ridiculous to claim that the book wants “to restore peace and harmony between Shugden and non-Shugden practitioners within Buddhist communities world-wide” while its main target is just the good reputation of the Dalai Lama which they try to put down by all means, and at all costs.

In the new campaign the Western Shugden Society / New Kadampa Tradition are writing “Open Letters to British Political Leaders“, among them British Prime Minister David Cameron MP, Foreign Secretary William Hague MP, and to Home Secretary Theresa May MP. I wonder why they should take any organisation seriously that says it has “no leader nor registered office” and which official website hides its identity via domain by proxy server? Answer: This time the Western Shugden Society puts a name under the letter. Very clever ;-) The letter is signed by “John McBretney*, PhD, BSc (Hons), Retired Civil Servant Representative, Western Shugden Society.” Ouch!

In the open letters the WSS refers to the self-written book (with no author) “A Great Deception” [nomen est omen ;-)] as a source of information for those high politicians. I wonder how they can really think such a book can convince any informed or reasonable person who can rely on an armada of qualified researchers?

I think the new campaign makes the WSS / NKT into an object of laughter or an object of compassion. How can they really believe to have any chance to convince the mainstream with their crude theses? My understanding is that hostility and pride lead the WSS/NKT more and more away from reality and that these delusions create an own reality for NKT/WSS members with the Dalai Lama as the “evil and cruel” dictator and themselves as the true, honest and pure human beings who must convince the world of their own “truth”.

As an enclosure the WSS added to their letters also their book “A Great Deception”. I feel the following review of “A Great Deception: The Ruling Lamas’ Policies” hits the nail on its head:

»Childishly written (“we wrote to the Dalai Lama for his side and he didn’t respond, so that proves he’s guilty” a paraphrase true to the book’s spirit), and mostly unsubstantiated “facts” (sometimes citations for works also produced by the same group as the book – notice the book doesn’t actually have an author.) I don’t think it is likely that EVERYTHING in the book is just made up, but it certainly can’t all be true either (the Dalai Lama, nor anyone else, could not possibly be Muslim, Communist AND Fascist as this volume breathlessly claims.)«

While the NKT/WSS are following their perception of the Dalai Lama as an evil and cruel dictator, the Dorje Shugden Website follows it’s own strange approach. In their Mission Statement they write:

»This website, an ongoing work in progress, is dedicated to the glorification and deeper appreciation of the name and holy work of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, who by peaceful, increasing, subjugating and wrathful means spreads in this world the general and profound teachings of the Buddhadharma that can dispel all suffering and its causes. We believe that what may sound contradictory today, will be revealed as skilful means in the future.«

Looking on the huge image of Shugden they projected onto a wall on a building, I just thought ‘so much self grasping and grasping to an idea, this is just ridiculous’. And like a comment to this thought I found in the right corner of that image an ad for the musical “WiCKED”. Wicked, indeed.

____

* John McBretney is the Resident Teacher of the NKT Heruka centre in London. John said to a Mexican Newspaper: “La Western Shugden Society (WSSREP, por sus siglas en inglés), con sede en Londres, es seguidora del budismo de Doryhe Shugden pero, a diferencia de la tradición Kadampa, esta agrupación hace activismo político en pro de la libertad religiosa. Apro entrevistó telefónicamente a su vocero, John Mc Bretney.”

Translation: »The WSS, based in London, follows the Buddhism of Dorje Shugden but, differently to the Kadampa Tradition, this group is politically active in favour of religious freedom. Apro interviewed their spokesman, John McBretney, by telephone.«

John McBretney sees no contradiction to say that WSS is political active and NKT is not political active while he and the far majority of the WSS are both WSS followers and NKT followers. I assume the idea is, when they are engaged for WSS they are political active and when they are engaged for NKT they are not political active, and at that time when they are “pure NKT practitioners” the past political actions and the future political actions do not exist, hence they are political inactive (just living in the present moment with no relation to past and future), and they do not have the perceived faults of the Dalai Lama “who pollutes religion with politics”. There is no contradiction for WSS members “To free Buddhism from pollution by politics” by pouring more politics into religion, and by splitting oneself into a Dr. Jekyll und Mr. Hyde personality. Wicked.

iloveds

• An Uncommon Protector Who Can Not Be Silenced
Re: We are so important, our problems matter: WSS’s new campaign
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 05:32:07 PM »
I think their letters would have held more weight if they were accompanied by the Dorje Shugden Graphic Novel.

The thesis contained within has more believable facts than err "The Great Deception".

Lineageholder

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 08:04:42 PM »
I think their letters would have held more weight if they were accompanied by the Dorje Shugden Graphic Novel.

The thesis contained within has more believable facts than err "The Great Deception".

It depends on your view and your faith.  There are a lot of things in the Dorje Shugden graphic novel that would be unbelievable and unacceptable to a lot of people.

thaimonk

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 08:18:53 PM »

It depends on your view and your faith.  There are a lot of things in the Dorje Shugden graphic novel that would be unbelievable and unacceptable to a lot of people.

There are many things in Buddhism that many would find unbelievable and unacceptable to alot of people.

The good thing about the graphic novel is it does not criticize anyone and is a story. A story of the arisal of Shugden. It will be a matter of faith whether you believe or not, but it is the best graphic novel on Shugden existing in the world.

There are many who do not believe in Shugden. But that does not matter. For those who want to know more on Shugden, this novel is helpful. It is based on Trijang Rinpoche's text on the beginnings of Shugden. I rejoice in the novel. Lots of work, time and effort obviously was put into it. Nothing to criticize. Only rejoice.
Personally I've witnessed many people who have read it like it very much.

iloveds

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 08:46:15 PM »
The Earth was Round was unacceptable in previous times!...

I'm sure today you have 100% conviction that the Earth is not flat right.

Likewise, I have 100% surety that Dorje Shugden exists. How can anything evil, demonic be part of such a long standing tradition.

Dorje Shugden Oracle - Part 2 Small | Large

Lineageholder

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 10:26:43 PM »
I'm sure today you have 100% conviction that the Earth is not flat right.

I'm not sure, it depends on karma.  I guess it appears round to most people, but to some it won't.

Lineageholder

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 10:30:59 PM »
There are many things in Buddhism that many would find unbelievable and unacceptable to alot of people.

The good thing about the graphic novel is it does not criticize anyone and is a story. A story of the arisal of Shugden. It will be a matter of faith whether you believe or not, but it is the best graphic novel on Shugden existing in the world.

There are many who do not believe in Shugden. But that does not matter. For those who want to know more on Shugden, this novel is helpful. It is based on Trijang Rinpoche's text on the beginnings of Shugden. I rejoice in the novel. Lots of work, time and effort obviously was put into it. Nothing to criticize. Only rejoice.

It's not only the best Shugden graphic novel in the world, it's THE ONLY one, isn't it?

I've witnessed many people who have read and like 'A Great Deception'  very much too.

thaimonk

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 03:26:58 AM »

It's not only the best Shugden graphic novel in the world, it's THE ONLY one, isn't it?

I've witnessed many people who have read and like 'A Great Deception'  very much too.

Then that is very good. Both books have their markets and both books have their benefits. So rejoice.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 01:00:42 PM »
I have this question for NKT, instead of organising campaigns to expose , ridicule the Dalai Lama for his incorrect stance on Dorje Shugden why don't you focus on sharing Dorje Shugden with other buddhist practitioners and promoting the benefits and good quality of Dorje SHugden. The people in NKT I am sure can tap into a multitude of resources. And the NKT blogs if we put energy writing the benefits of Dorje Shugden I think slowly and surely we can make changes in public opinion.

Maybe have a Dorje Shugden festival in city where NKT has a presence. I look at people like Gangchen Lama and Gaden Trisur instead of bashing the Dalai Lama they are spreading Dorje Shugden to the Chinese people and all over, look at Dorje Shugden spreading in Thailand. I think positive reinforcing the DS message will have more results than bashing up the Dalai Lama who has clearly given up political power.

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 02:55:31 PM »
Maybe we all need to stand united instead of picking apart the methods each of us use to counter the ban.

I doubt a few posts on a forum is going to turn the tide for either group to change methods so this thread seems a tad nonproductive. It will only divide those who are after the same goal..... lifting of the ban.

United we stand, divided we fall.

The middle way seems to work for me. I do not use harsh speach against the Dalai Lama......nor do I praise him in support of the 'bigger picture'. 

But what do I know....

Zach

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 09:13:05 PM »
Personally im a fan of silent protest :) Another good method is also turning up outside the Venue and chanting Dorje shugden mantras :)

iloveds

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 10:12:32 PM »
Actually @zach just silently protesting and chanting mantras may just of been the best approach. While at the same time teaching the world the mantra of the Holy King.

Imagine all the coverage wasted chanting stop lying when it could have been spent doing your sadhana.

Hindsight is a bitch excusey my French.

Zach

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 04:42:48 AM »
Actually @zach just silently protesting and chanting mantras may just of been the best approach. While at the same time teaching the world the mantra of the Holy King.

Imagine all the coverage wasted chanting stop lying when it could have been spent doing your sadhana.

I would do the protesting all again, why ? Because it was with the intention to remove the suffering of others.

iloveds

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 06:10:51 AM »
Doesn't protesting alienate you, and make you look like any other religious fanatical group out there?

Bear in mind that the number of buddhists are the minority, and acting in this way will make our group even more of a minority.

How does all out protesting attract more people to the path by our example?
Make our sharing of Dharma more easy with those who have no Dharma?
At the end of the day isn't it our ego talking wanting to be the martyr for the oppressed, a saviour of the weak?

iloveds

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 06:15:10 AM »
I'm confused previous post you said you were SILENT protesting and now your for Protesting?

Which are you or are you also confused?

Personally im a fan of silent protest :) Another good method is also turning up outside the Venue and chanting Dorje shugden mantras :)

I would do the protesting all again, why ? Because it was with the intention to remove the suffering of others.