Author Topic: The Bad Boys of Buddhism  (Read 16968 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
The Bad Boys of Buddhism
« on: October 26, 2011, 09:38:48 AM »
I stumbled across this blog today: http://www.twelveintwelve.info/?p=724 - read it for an outsider's view of the Shugden situation.

The main blogger is very interesting - J.D. Lewis - he is an actor who has appeared on shows such as Friends, ER, Suddenly Susan… all the way back to L.A. Law. He has been seen in hundreds of commercials including Bud Light, Vidal Sassoon, Arco Smog Pros, and as a spokesperson for L.A. Gear with Kathy Ireland. As a celebrated playwright, his works have been produced internationally, headlining The Fringe Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland and The UnFringed Festival in Limerick, Ireland. J.D. Lewis is most known for his work as an acting coach in Los Angeles. He started The Actor’s Lab in Los Angeles in 1990, and has worked with some of the top names in the industry. He has been very active, donating his time and energy in the arts working with inner city kids, and kids that would otherwise not be exposed to the arts. His greatest accomplishment is raising his two sons, who he adopted at birth as a single parent.

I think it's interesting that of all places in India that this family ended up in, they ended up in Shar Gaden! What are the chances of that happening!!! Anyway, I hope this blog will bring more immediate attention to and undemonise the Shugden issue!

Losang Tenpa - perhaps you can share your experience with this family too.

The Bad Boys of Buddhism

Leave it to the boys and me to find the one Tibetan Buddhist Monastery that has been ostracized by His Holiness, The Dalai Lama.  It really is a compelling story for all you who think Buddhism is about chanting, meditating, and living a life of compassion.

When we arrived here at Shar Gaden, one of the first things Jampa, the charismatic secretary of the monastery said to me was, “We are having some issues with the Dalai Lama”.  I was taken back, as I was under the impression that His Holiness was the Kingpin of Buddhism.

Apparently a number of years ago, the Dalai Lama asked all of his monasteries to quit practicing a certain meditation called Dorje Shugden. My understanding is that the Dalai Lama’s oracle, or guidance counselor, suggested to the His Holiness that they stop doing this particular practice.  Because Dorje Shugden has been perceived by some as more of the “fire and brimstone” approach to Buddhism, His Holiness decided to give it the ax. 

It probably doesn’t help matters that the deity they propitiate is a scary looking figure with three eyes, a human heart in his one hand, a sword in the other, and a wrathful look on his face.  Perhaps the Dalai Lama thought this menacing figure might scare some westerners away.  Therefore, he required all the monks of the Tibetan monasteries to sign a pledge that they would no longer participate in this very old Tibetan ritual.

Here’s where the Bad Boys of Buddhism, my friends and monks of The Shar Gaden monastery, come in.   It seems that the senior monks of Shar Gaden felt like discontinuing this practice was not in the best interest of their lineage.

They refused to sign the agreement… and apparently all hell broke lose.  Many followers of the Dalai Lama became enraged with the Dorje Shugden followers. At one point when one of the Dalai Lama’s people was murdered, they blamed it on the group that chose not to sign the paper. 

Cut to years later…  In this isolated area of south-central India where an entire community of monks live, there is a great divide.  As I walk down the street with my friend, Losang Tenpa, or as the boys and I call him, Monk Duke, he is glared at and in certain shops, they even refuse to serve him.

Monk Duke is a character.  He’s from Minnesota and has been a practicing Buddhist for the last fifteen years.  He has recently committed his life to the “monkhood”.  He is the perfect poster child for the Bad Boys of Buddhism.  He’s a sort of James Dean of the Red Robes.  Rugged, with a past of drugs, alcohol and near death experiences… and I quote, “I have had a pretty crazy past.”   

Now he is a full-fledged member of Shar Gaden and the face of Western Buddhism in a sea of Tibetan and Nepalese monks.  He holds his head high when he goes into town, even though he knows that many are scrutinizing him.   He chose to side with the Shar Gaden lineage because his teacher, Geshe Tsultrim Gyaltsen, was determined to keep the Dorje Shugen practice alive.  Monk Duke said that,  “I have chosen to follow the teacher I have worked with for years. I have taken vows and commitments with this teacher, and my alliance is with him.”

The whole thing is shocking to me… My idea of Buddhism was about losing the ego, getting centered and quiet, and finding enlightenment.  But it seems that things are a bit tense here in this area that was given to exiled Tibetan monks by the country of India.  Over the last few years, words have been spoken, rocks have been thrown and most disturbing, great walls built around each of the many monasteries in the area.  What’s wild is that, after the split, the properties here were allotted in a strange way so that some of Shar Gaden’s building are surrounding by building gained by the other monasteries that have issue with this group, making it an uncomfortable and tense living situation.

As an experiment the other day, Monk Duke and I visited a local store famous for not serving Shar Gaden monks.  I went in and smiled, bought some flip flops for Buck, and then Duke came in to buy some incense.  They wouldn’t even look up at him.   

So I piped in, “Hey, how much for the incense?” … they replied, “Forty Rupies”, and then I said, “I’ll pay for it.”   They then smiled, took my money and when we went to leave, the man behind the counter and Monk Duke exchanged a smile.   I felt like it was one step closer to Nirvana and I had done my small part to bridge a chasm between the two factions.  Who knows… that simple meeting of the minds could have been the beginning of the reunification of the Tibetan Buddhist Federation.   Or maybe not… I think it’s going to take more than a westerner’s smile to sort things out here. I’m thinking of coming back next year and shooting a documentary on the subject.

None of the controversy seems to have affected Jackson or Buck’s experience of this place.  Buck instantly joined in on a game of Futbol with the younger monks. Kunga, one of the senior monks and a great character, took a liking to Buck and presented him with his own red robes. Yes, Buck spent his entire time dressed as a monk and sitting in on the meditations. He really took to it. He learned how to fold and wear the robes and also how to recite some of the mantras.  Monk Duke even presented Buck with his own prayer beads, which he proudly wears to remind himself of his time at Shar Gaden.  What an amazing experience for an 8 year old boy, eh?

Jackson jumped right in helping out with Monk Duke’s English classes. They all laugh when they hear his name because of Michael Jackson.  These young monks can play a mean game of English language hang-man. And here’s some refreshing news, when we were practicing conversational English with them, we discovered that none of them knew who Lady Gaga was.  How refreshing is that! 

Our experience here has been eye-opening and truly delightful.  We have made some great friends, had the opportunity to live with the monks and see their lives first hand, and have been able to discovery the beauty of monastic living.   If the Dalai Lama spent some time with Monk Duke, Jampa, and Kunga, I’m sure they all could resolve this issue with compassion and loving-kindness.

If you are interested in knowing more about the Monks of Shar Gaden Monastery, check them out on FaceBook. They are in need of dedicated Pen Pals for the younger monks to practice their English with, and also English language books. Please let me know if you are interested in helping them.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
Re: The Bad Boys of Buddhism
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 12:57:57 PM »
J.D. and his kids are an amazing family. I was lucky enough to have spent quite a deal of time with them while they were here.

J.D.'s blog post will be read mainly by non-Buddhists, however he has quite a huge following back in the states. They are traveling to 12 countries in 12 months to experience different cultures and help where they can. The Dorje Shugden issue greatly intrigued J.D. and he already has plans to come back with a film crew to Shar Gaden next year to film a documentary about the subject.

His blog post was written with a touch of humor, but that did not detract from his message. He supports the monastery and wants to help in whatever way he can. One thing he kept repeating was "This place is amazing, how could anyone think there was something wrong going on here."

WisdomBeing

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 04:08:44 PM »
thank you for sharing, Tenzin. I really think that it is not coincidence that J.D. came to Shar Gaden. Do you know why he chose Shar Gaden? Or how he chose it? Someone must have told him about Shar Gaden. Excellent that he plans to do a documentary. The more information there is out there that shows the public that Dorje Shugden practice is not evil, the better!

hope rainbow

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 10:50:32 AM »
Such a fresh and neutral account of an encounter with "the life under the ban" by a western family.
Things do not sound dramatic, but intriguing instead.
I am looking forward to the documentary!
We need fresh neutral eyes that can look at the positive sides.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 03:15:29 PM »
A fresh pair of eyes is always welcome to shed a different light to the issue at hand. Westerners are typically very critical and any hint of trouble they will be heard at any costs. Glad this hollywood person is able to see Shar Gaden for what it really is, an institution of spirituality. Pro Dorje Shugden people are getting more numerous and stronger with time.

Barzin

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 04:43:16 PM »
What shown here is not just practitioners of Buddhism debating with one another regarding the issue of protector.  It is totally from an "outsider" point of view, which made it interesting to see a fresh point of view.  J.D Lewis personally experienced the life of a monastery has gained him some special insights of the monastery and monkhood. What's exiciting is that the issue actually intriged him!

I am looking forward to the documentary, coming from a well respected and recognized name from acting industry.  I think it is going to be great documentary, well I really hope so!

And he is making the issue so well known to the western world, many will get to know the protector.  What a way to promote our precious protector!  And i really admire how he is creating awareness to help the monastery. 

DharmaDefender

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 05:23:01 PM »
Actually, I think whats particular special about Mr Lewis doing this is not just a fresh pair of eyes. Its the unbiased, objective opinions of someone whose got no concept about the politics that exist within Tibetan Buddhism. Lets face it - if you or me said summit about Dorje Shugden, of course people will take it with a pinch of salt because were biased. But Mr Lewis is totally tabula rasa, and free to form whatever opinions he wants.

To be honest, sometimes Im inclined to believe the Phayul chat that most ordinary Tibetans dont want this trouble. And Im inclined to believe my monk friends chat that most monks remain friends even after the split. I think its just a bunch of bollocks being stirred up by within the old fashioned politicking faction of the CTA.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 08:23:20 AM »
I agree with you there, DharmaDefender. I still wonder how J.D. came to Shar Gaden. Whether he was invited or he knew about the Shugden issue. Most people who don't know about the D.S. issue would probably have gone to Gaden monastery. Perhaps DS guided him there!

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 02:16:40 PM »
J.D. actually knew nothing about the controversy before coming to Shar Gaden.
He found the monastery after a google search using the keywords 'monastery in South India'.

I am still in touch with J.D. and the kids as they continue their journey. J.D. has been reaching out to his friends to help support the educational programs here at Shar Gaden. He is friends with one of the head-honchos of Scholastic; the worlds leading textbook producer for schools. We all hope this leads to much needed assistance for the monastery school.

J.D. is also a bit of a bad boy himself, so we hit it right off. ;D We shared many stories about life before finding strength through spirituality. He is genuinely interested in learning all he can about Dorje Shugden. I gave him some photos and explained things as best as I could. I hope to share more with him as time goes on.

He plans on coming back to Shar Gaden in about a year to film the documentary. 

WisdomBeing

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 02:32:12 PM »
Dear Losang Tenpa,

Thanks for sharing that - we must thank Google! And I am sure Dorje Shugden played a part in it too...

I hope Shar Gaden gets the much needed text books from scholastic. Excellent connections from J.D.!

Please do keep this thread posted with any more news. I can't wait for the documentary. Do you know what happened to the movie about Dorje Shugden? i just checked their website and there doesn't seem to be any updates.

Thanks in advance! :)

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 01:46:54 PM »
The Dorje Shugden movie still has not started filming but has received the needed permission from Dorje Shugden via the oracle.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 06:45:09 PM »
That's wonderful news, Losang Tenpa - do keep us posted when filming will begin! Or when will it go into post-production etc... how very exciting!

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 11:45:44 PM »
Due to this blog post I have had it come to my attention that some man from the Payul forum has decided to rake me through the coals concerning my past. This is not new for me. Some people never see past their quick judgements, although it seems unfair to judge the person I am now by my actions over 20 years ago. I have never claimed to have led a perfect life and thankfully those who know me see beyond the mistakes of my past. It was actually due to the suffering of my past that I was compelled to find answers and that brought the Dharma into my life. I have learned not to  regret any of my past; it is what led me here. If my life was perfect as a teen, I would have had no reason to search out spirituality. We are all led to the Dharma in different ways. Maybe it is enough to say that we have found the Dharma and have changed our life without the judgements. I am sure the man from Payul forum would not want others digging up his mistakes from 20 years ago.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 05:45:39 AM »
Dear Losang Tenpa,

Gosh, I just went to the link - someone certainly went trawling into your past, LT. Guess they don't have anything better to do! They should be doing Dharma instead.

Personally i wouldn't give a flying toss about what people think about one's past... everyone has a past.. some more colourful than others, but it's what we're doing now that matters. If Milarepa or Angulimala gave a toss about what people thought about their past, i am sure they wouldn't have achieved their attainments.

Now you're a monk, Losang Tenpa, and as long as you're holding the sacred vows.. nobody has a right to judge you so hang in there!

Losang_Tenpa

• Email
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 06:01:51 AM »
Dear Losang Tenpa,

Gosh, I just went to the link - someone certainly went trawling into your past, LT. Guess they don't have anything better to do! They should be doing Dharma instead.

Personally i wouldn't give a flying toss about what people think about one's past... everyone has a past.. some more colourful than others, but it's what we're doing now that matters. If Milarepa or Angulimala gave a toss about what people thought about their past, i am sure they wouldn't have achieved their attainments.

Now you're a monk, Losang Tenpa, and as long as you're holding the sacred vows.. nobody has a right to judge you so hang in there!

Thank you Wisdom Being.

I have my past struggles to thank for bringing the Dharma into my life. I truly feel it was a blessing. If people want to judge me on who 'I' was, instead of on who 'I' am now, there is not much I can do about that. 

Thank you again, I appreciate your words.