Author Topic: Namka Barzin  (Read 10246 times)

thaimonk

Namka Barzin
« on: November 26, 2011, 05:14:22 PM »
Very interesting article of Namka Barzin:

source: http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=10174

The Origins of Namkar Barzin

Introduction

Namkar Barzin is the second minister to Dorje Shugden after Kache Marpo. He is one of the newest members of Dorje Shugden’s entourage, whose history goes back to around 60-75 years ago. He is not an enlightened being but an oath-bound Dharma Protector, after being subdued as a raging spirit by Domo Geshe Rinpoche and placed under the command of Dorje Shugden.

Origins

Namkar Barzin was a Mongolian man who traveled from Mongolia to Dungkar Monastery with only one wish, to be ordained as a monk. He was old and poor but still made the effort to travel a far distance to seek solace.

Unfortunately, when he arrived at the Monastery, Namkar Barzin was ill treated by the resident monks because he was merely a penniless old beggar. The monk in-charge rejected Namkar Barzin’s request to be ordained and chased him out. This sincere beggar who thirsted for the Dharma so much and whom had nothing else but the Dharma to depend on again requested help from the four monks whom he met outside of the Monastery. However, to his dismay, he was insulted and beaten up by them.

At that point, Namkar Barzin became enraged and cursed the monks who ill-treated him that they will all die within a year.

Much later, this poor Mongolian man was found dead near a place known as Pema Choling. The nomads who live in that area saw his body and threw it into a river where it got caught in between some rocks for days. The herders nearby who saw Namkar Barzin’s body amused themselves by throwing stones at him and making fun of him.

Although already dead, fiery anger arose in Namkar Barzin which turned him into a fearsome raging spirit. This was where the nightmare for that area began…

A weird disease erupted and spread, which caused many of the herders and their yaks to fall ill and die, including one of the monks who mistreated Namkar Barzin. The monk eventually died from the terrible disease, and his death was followed by many more deaths. Once, Namkar Barzin even possessed a victim and clearly showed how many more people he was going to kill.

A blessing came when Domo Geshe Rinpoche, who was then the abbot of Dungkar Monastery, heard of this bad news and came to subdue this angry spirit. After successfully subduing Namkar Barzin, Domo Geshe Rinpoche made him take an oath to protect Dharma teachings and the area where Dungkar Monastery was situated. His Oracle was established in Dungkar Monastery.

Domo Geshe Rinpoche thus put Namkar Barzin under the command of Dorje Shugden as the second minister of Dorje Shugden’s entourage, where he will be able to collect vast merits and benefit countless sentient beings for infinite lifetimes.

Functions

This deity is well known for having the power to protect buildings, institutions, monasteries, etc. He is especially powerful in protecting Dharma related institutions, not just from material loss due to theft, fires or natural disasters but also loss arising from schisms between members. He does this by promoting harmony between members of such institutions and ensuring everyone has good relationships with one another.

Namkar Barzin has one face, two hands, and three bulging eyes. He is red in color and bears a ferocious and proud expression. He wears the robes of an ordained monk and rides on a mythical animal, Gyaling which represents his Tantric attainments. His right hand brandishes a sword which cuts through our problems and obstacles while his left hand holds a skullcup representing his mastery of Tantra. In some thangkas, he also wears a Mongolian turban that is made of red silk.

Nero Stallion

Bibliography
 1. Wojkowitz, Rene De Nebesky. Oracles and Demons of Tibet. 1993.
 2. Wangmo, Jamyang. The Lawudo Lama. 2005
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 09:36:30 PM by Admin »

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: Namka Barzin
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 06:36:43 PM »
I think it's truly amazing that Namkar Barzin is so new! 60-75 years is a mere instant in the grand scheme of things! Are there many such oath bound unenlightened protectors? I am wondering how often do angry spirits get oath bound in general...

60-75 years ago, there was no ban so Namkar Barzin must have been well respected as part of Dorje Shugden's entourage and popularly propitiated for protection. Now, with the ban in place, do people still use Namkar Barzin for protection, or is he persona non grata together with Dorje Shugden?

Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

thaimonk

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 06:40:48 PM »
I think it's truly amazing that Namkar Barzin is so new! 60-75 years is a mere instant in the grand scheme of things! Are there many such oath bound unenlightened protectors? I am wondering how often do angry spirits get oath bound in general...

60-75 years ago, there was no ban so Namkar Barzin must have been well respected as part of Dorje Shugden's entourage and popularly propitiated for protection. Now, with the ban in place, do people still use Namkar Barzin for protection, or is he persona non grata together with Dorje Shugden?

Namka Barzin has his own texts, mantras, rituals and prayers. He can be worshipped as an independent protector also as he is very effective. Dromo Geshe Rinpoche introduced Namka Barzin as part of Dorje Shugden's entourage. Shugden accepted him and he was happy to join and assist Shugden.

Namka Barzin will take trance of the oracles of Shugden also. He is one of the main protectors of a large region in Dromo, Tibet. He is also one of the protectors of the line of Dromo Geshe Rinpoche incarnations. Dromo Geshe follows Shugden and Namka Barzin as his protectors.

Big Uncle

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 06:56:45 PM »
He wears the robes of an ordained monk and rides on a mythical animal, Gyaling which represents his Tantric attainments. His right hand brandishes a sword which cuts through our problems and obstacles while his left hand holds a skullcup representing his mastery of Tantra.

It looks like Namka Barzin is no ordinary worldly Protector. He must have a certain level of attainment already and that's why he is solicited as a protector by his own right and the 'second in command' after Kache Marpo. This is very important and it shows his level of attainments. He may not be fully awakened like Kache Marpo but he is certainly attained to a certain extant to be relied in this manner.

dsiluvu

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 11:41:55 AM »
Very interesting article of Namka Barzin:
Functions

This deity is well known for having the power to protect buildings, institutions, monasteries, etc. He is especially powerful in protecting Dharma related institutions, not just from material loss due to theft, fires or natural disasters but also loss arising from schisms between members. He does this by promoting harmony between members of such institutions and ensuring everyone has good relationships with one another.

You mentioned that Namkar Barzin is well known to protect esp on theft problems... well lately there has been a lot of theft in my area, many cars and homes broken in... perhaps cos Christmas is around the corner and ppl are getting desperate. A group of us have formed a community patrol watch and my question is can we propitiate Namkar Barzin to help stop this? If so how by just doing his prayers which I found from this site? 
Invocation to Lord Namkar Barzin
http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?page_id=2168

I also noticed that many Chinese ppl believe in placing a talisman for protection above their entrance door, can we place Namkar Barzin mantra above the door or is this not appropriate?

shugdenpromoter

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 02:48:43 PM »

A blessing came when Domo Geshe Rinpoche, who was then the abbot of Dungkar Monastery, heard of this bad news and came to subdue this angry spirit. After successfully subduing Namkar Barzin, Domo Geshe Rinpoche made him take an oath to protect Dharma teachings and the area where Dungkar Monastery was situated. His Oracle was established in Dungkar Monastery.

Domo Geshe Rinpoche thus put Namkar Barzin under the command of Dorje Shugden as the second minister of Dorje Shugden’s entourage, where he will be able to collect vast merits and benefit countless sentient beings for infinite lifetimes.

Hmmmmmmmm, and if Shugden has been acused for being a demon, I wonder why the young incarnation of Dome Geshe Rinpoche is back and currently is residing in Shar Gaden. Shouldn't Domo Geshe Rinpoche be in the lower realms if he practices Shugden..."the demon".

Do read about the enthronement of HE Domo Geshe Rinpoche in the below link

http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=516

tsangpakarpo

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 04:21:16 PM »
There are a few different stories of how Namkar Barzin came about to be Dorje Shugden's minister. But whatever the stories are, no one can deny the fact that Namkar Barzin is the minister of Dorje Shugden and has been assisting The King in carrying out his activities.

The same goes for Dorje Shudgen, whatever stories there are out there, positive or negative, Dorje Shugden remains a Dharma Protector. No one can prove that He is not an enlightened being. If Dorje Shugden is a spirit, he would have been long subdued by the many great masters out there.

Being logical is the best way to go!

thor

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 05:31:40 PM »
Namka Barzin has his own texts, mantras, rituals and prayers. He can be worshipped as an independent protector also as he is very effective. Dromo Geshe Rinpoche introduced Namka Barzin as part of Dorje Shugden's entourage. Shugden accepted him and he was happy to join and assist Shugden.

Namka Barzin will take trance of the oracles of Shugden also. He is one of the main protectors of a large region in Dromo, Tibet. He is also one of the protectors of the line of Dromo Geshe Rinpoche incarnations. Dromo Geshe follows Shugden and Namka Barzin as his protectors.

It would be good for Shugden detractors to know that Namka Barzin is an enlightened protector in his own right. Likewise for Kache Marpo.  You know, Kache Marpo is actually Hayagriva who is actually Chenrezig. Why would these enlightened Dharma Protectors be serving Lord Shugden if he was a demon?

I would love to have an open friendly debate with any anti-shugden person on this topic.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 03:40:04 PM »
Domo Geshe is highly realized for sure to be able to install Namka Barzin and out him on the Dorje Shugden mandala, another acts that parallels this is Dagom Rinpoche who put Dorje Shugden in to the Guru Tree. these are the heavyweights of the Gelug tradition. Anyways anyone who knows how to invite spirits to join the Dorje Shugden Mandala I think they are truly realized, Mahasattva/Buddha.

May Domo Geshe take up the work of his predecessor and once again set the world on fire with Lama Tsongkhapa's teachings.

valeriecheung

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 09:35:29 AM »
Refer all yous statement, this already shown how powerful and highly attained of dorje shugden because even his entourage Namka Barzin also highly qualified attained got his own prayer. This is undenaiable!

For Namka Barzin prayer its must be composed by a honourable rinpoche like Dromo Geshe Rinpoche in order to recognized him.

kurava

• Email
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 01:17:59 PM »

Wow, that's what I need for my office.Lately, there 's been thefts in broad day light and people suspect if it's an insider job.

Is there a mantra to invoke specifically Namka Barzin? Or Namka Barzin will come forth as well by us chanting DS mantra ?

triesa

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 03:19:03 PM »
As wrath arose when this old Mongolian monk died as he was ill treated and beaten up by the other monks, and subsequently became a spirit causing great harm to the people in that region. Domo Geshe Rinpoche subdued him and made him oath bound under Dorje Shugden.

So when the aniti Dorje Shugdeners said that Dorje Shugden is a spirit, then it should be very simple to ask a high lama of equal calibre as Domo Geshe Rinpoche and subdue Dorje Shugden?? The fact that Dorje Shugden could not be subdued showed that Dorje Shugden is an extra-ordinary being, an enlightened being who has kept his promise to protect the teachings of Je Tsongkhapa.

I do think that Dorje Shugden needs even a bigger entourage for the amount of work that he has to do at this degenerated age. So more beings such as Namkar Barzin would be welcomed  :)

happysun

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »
 (::)haha...honestly, I like to listen this kind of interesting story how a great protector or monk become. Namka Barzin is the second minister of DS. Before he become evil spirit, his passion to become of a ordained is really make many of us feel shame. He old and poor but still want to become a monk but his karmic trigger him become an entourage then more benefit than become a normal monk. If he become a normal ordained monk that just only benefit few people, compared now he really can benefit billion over sentient beings!!!!

Namka Barzin want to become a monk so much because he really like Dharma, and he knew how precious be a Dharma practitioner. Even though because of Dharma he be beaten, bullied, teased and then died in very bad situation, all those causes just make him become a qualify entourage for DS. And now he was helping dorje shugen to spread this practice over the world. Really precious and lucky.

Namka Barzin's story move me up and contemplate more...be a practitioner actually not enough, if you got merit to serve all sentient beings in this region that how lucky you are??? Because you can apply all you had learn into daily life...that is called read Dharma. Thank you for this story changing my mind set of a dharma practitioner. Also how skill dharma is it!             

beggar

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 06:58:37 PM »
Oh let's play the devil's advocate.

This all begs a very important question. If Dorje Shugden himself is spirit, then why doesn't another "kosher" protector or high lama just do a similar binding ritual that was done to Namka Barzin, Nechung, or any of those other worldly protectors who have been tamed and sworn in as Dharma protectors?

If Dorje Shugden was so terribly bad and harmful, WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE JUST SUBDUE AND BIND HIM?

Surely the Dalai Lama, all the high lamas and tulkus of all the big monasteries would be able to do this? If no one is able to do this, it could only mean that this so-called "spirit" is more powerful than highly attained beings and Lamas who are believed to be emanations of fully enlightened Buddhas. This is no way possible. The only way a being can be NOT destroyed is if he/she is a fully enlightened being - a Buddha...

... which is precisely what Dorje Shugden is! 

daka

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
Very interesting sharing, but please allow me to ask some questions. I'm not here to question about whether Namka Barzin is a demon or a Dharma protector, but just to ask some purely naive questions.

With no disrespect, I'm just curious about how/why he ended up being a Dharma protector. Before Domo Geshe Rinpoche subdued him, he is just an ordinary man. How can an ordinary man being chosen to become the second minister to Dorje Shugden after Kache Marpo? When he was an angry spirit, he even killed many people. Where goes the karma of killing?

Again, I'm not here to doubt anything. I'm just being very curious about the mechanism of karma and how a deity became a deity. I sure need to polish up my Dharma knowledge very much. :-[