Author Topic: Temples discouraging their members to practice  (Read 14155 times)

Galen

• Email
Temples discouraging their members to practice
« on: December 11, 2011, 05:17:09 PM »
Recently i visited a temple for the first time and I was horrified with a signage that was posted up on the wall. It says that they do not practice Dorje Shugden as it is banned by H.H the Dalai Lama and they discourage their members to practice this spirit.

How can a temple who is spreading the dharma stop their members from practicing anything they want? There is freedom of choice and anyone can practice what practices they want. Also do not have the brand a Buddha as a spirit. Isn't this inappropriate?

Zach

Re: Temples discouraging their members to practice
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 05:25:38 PM »
There is something you can do.  :)

Which is to name and shame them take a photo and host it for all the world to see how Buddhist they actually are is this in the west or where ?

tsangpakarpo

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 02:19:12 PM »
You're right Galen. It is really disappointing to see temples and Dharma Centres not allowing practitioners to practice Dorje Shugden. But whatever they do, practitioners can still practice Dorje Shugden secretly!  :D

One day soon when the ban is lifted, then you can proudly stand up to tell everyone you've been practicing Dorje Shugden all this while. When that day comes, we should not laugh at those people who banned the practice but instead share with them all that we've learned and ask them to check out dorjeshugden.com!  ;D

That is true Buddhism!

pgdharma

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 04:16:58 PM »
Yes it is wrong for the temple to ban practitioners from practicing Dorje Shugden. Everyone has a right of choice and the practitioners  can still practice in secret as most do until the ban is lifted.

It is a shame to come across such a temple. It just shows how ignorant they are by accusing Dorje Shugden as a spirit. They should check out dorjeshugden.com and get their facts right!

Big Uncle

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 04:30:57 PM »
The practitioners of these temples should then check whether they are praying for all sentient beings. Are the teachings like Lamrim, Lojong and all these practices, cultivate the Mahayana view?

Why would they study the great Mahayana teachings that require practitioners to cultivate compassion for ALL beings and pray for them and yet, they do not allow certain people with a slightly different view and practice to enter their temples.

It just doesn't make any sense. How can the senior practitioners of the temple allow such a deliberate breach of their Bodhisattva vows, ideals and the general spirit of Mahayana? I don't mean to be rude but why do they call themselves Buddhist when they are so contradicting with their principles. It's so sad. Even if I don't practice Dorje Shugden, I wouldn't want to study the Dharma from these temples if I knew that they perpetuate such contradiction. No offense.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 04:48:43 PM »
This is the photo of the sign displayed at the temple! How horrible. It is placed at the entrance where everyone can see. It just portrays a negative image on us Buddhist. Totally unacceptable and it is such a shame. I totally agree with Big Uncle that is is a breach of Boddhisattva vows.

jagger

• For the love of Shugden
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 06:45:06 PM »
I have been to this temple before and they encourage all sort of other practices which I do not think is found anywhere in the Buddhist cannon. Putting up such notices are not new in the Tibetan Buddhist community especially if they're under the 'ruling' of the CTA. They're just being too chicken to do it the right way

What is the right way? Practice compassion and kindness for your own Tibetan kin and moreso monks and nuns practicing in them. Why harm them if you guys are promoting love and compassion through mass media but doing otherwise within your own community?
Jaggerboy

dsiluvu

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 07:54:42 PM »
Actually there is No need to even talk about Bodhisattva vows being breached... it's a breached of "human rights" and "freedom of religion" ... breach on humanitarian grounds - totally unethical and so not cool. Where I come from you could be sued for these type of statements.

I think they forgot we're living in the 21st century. Real shame how prejudice could exist on temple grounds. In a way it fuels us more to practise stronger  :o

DharmaDefender

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 09:20:42 PM »
I have been to this temple before and they encourage all sort of other practices which I do not think is found anywhere in the Buddhist cannon. Putting up such notices are not new in the Tibetan Buddhist community especially if they're under the 'ruling' of the CTA. They're just being too chicken to do it the right way

All the way in "whatever country prints Chinese onto their prayer wheels"? Sorry but thats just sad, coming under the thumb of a government that doesnt even have a country!!!

And the next time someone accuses Dorje Shugden practitioners of taking money from the Chinese, just look at this picture! Deffo doesnt look like any Shugden-loving Chinese to me!

Zach

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 10:16:39 PM »
This is the photo of the sign displayed at the temple! How horrible. It is placed at the entrance where everyone can see. It just portrays a negative image on us Buddhist. Totally unacceptable and it is such a shame. I totally agree with Big Uncle that is is a breach of Boddhisattva vows.

Why have you blanked out the name of the temple ? I think they would want Dorje shugden practitoners to know not to come to their place  :)

Dolce Vita

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 01:58:18 AM »
What have DS practitioners done to be banned from going into a temple? I don't understand. Killing someone in the temple? Stealing from the temple? If DS practitioners are so bad, I think the temple should try to help them instead of pushing them away.

diamond girl

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 12:59:12 PM »
It is appalling that a place of worship would post something of discrimination against another practice. If I were to read such a sign, I would definitely walk away. Discrimination is already against the teachings of compassion. What kind of temple is this?

Even if they chose to respect the HHDL's instruction, they can do so quietly and have it as their practice not to practice Dorje Shugden but to put it up like that is bad. The way they put is like people are storming into their temple wearing t-shirts "I practice Dorje Shugden" People who do practice have more respect for these type of discriminatory people.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 07:11:42 PM »

Why have you blanked out the name of the temple ? I think they would want Dorje shugden practitoners to know not to come to their place  :)

Maybe because if somethign happens to them, we cant be accused of sending people to harm the temple? Dunno.

DV, you present a good point. Even Catholics who murder get a chance at redemption in the confessional...what do DS practitoners get? NOTHING.

Barzin

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 08:16:06 PM »
This is utterly sad to know that even in Buddhism such a beautiful religion, there are people still putting others down.  It is same as telling people because you are not my race or my religion, you are not welcome here.  Terrible.  It just reflects badly on the temple and the people there.  Imagine the amount of negative karma they accumulate by doing this in the temple!  They planted negative view in people and stop people from practicing Dorje Shugden and to me it is very bad because simple they did not study more or learn more about the subject.  If they would have find out more, they will know that Dorje Shugden is an enlightened being and not a spirit.  By doing that, they are accumulating a great amount of negative karma which is very bad for them.

beggar

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 08:57:32 AM »
If DS practitioners are so bad, I think the temple should try to help them instead of pushing them away.

Well, that is the greatest irony isn't it? If someone is so wrong and doing something so bad, then as Buddhists shouldn't we open our arms even wider to accept them, help them with compassion, give them knowledge and teach them the right way? If someone is doing something so harmful and wrong, why is it that a Buddhist would turn them away and "allow" them to continue doing bad things to hurt themselves? How does this bode for the most basic Buddhist practice of not harming anyone and just being kind?
(this is also one of the points mentioned in that most recent letter sent from dorjeshugden.com to around the world!)

The saddest thing is that they fail to see how they have just cut off their noses to spite their own faces - by putting up a notice like this right at the entrance of their temple, they are attempting, I suppose, to show the world how very holy and "obedient" they are. But actually, the bigger message they show the world is just how intolerant and unkind they are.