Author Topic: Phayul down?  (Read 12867 times)

DharmaDefender

Phayul down?
« on: December 11, 2011, 07:13:45 PM »
Hey anyone know what happend to Phayul? Ive been trying to access the thread for the last week but keep getting the message below...another esangha case?

forums2.phayul.com Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.

If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again.

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here

Zach

Re: Phayul down?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:19:17 AM »
Yup it appears to be hacked :)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 02:54:46 PM »
Dear me.. i just checked on the phayul forum and the last post was on 5 December and when I clicked onto a thread, it had an error message. Sounds like karma to me... i shall try very hard not to rejoice.

Actually I am just being facetious. There are only a few anti-Shugden people so I shouldn't discriminate against them. Then I will be the same as them. Hope their forum gets fixed soon. Since their forum is down, I am sure a few of them are haunting this forum.

**waves hello to Moose who comes here often** Do come in, sit down, browse around, learn something and have a cuppa tea!
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

DharmaSpace

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 03:51:14 PM »
I thought if the site was hacked the hacker will make it known it was his work, you probably see a lot of graphic with skulls all over the site ?
Looks moe like some files got corrupted perhaps.

Big Uncle

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 04:18:26 PM »
Dear me.. i just checked on the phayul forum and the last post was on 5 December and when I clicked onto a thread, it had an error message. Sounds like karma to me... i shall try very hard not to rejoice.

Actually I am just being facetious. There are only a few anti-Shugden people so I shouldn't discriminate against them. Then I will be the same as them. Hope their forum gets fixed soon. Since their forum is down, I am sure a few of them are haunting this forum.

**waves hello to Moose who comes here often** Do come in, sit down, browse around, learn something and have a cuppa tea!

Hahah! You do have a sense of humour Wisdom Being. You must be right about karma coming back to them though. They are not the only one that suffered online attacks. I don't know if you knew about the e-Sangha forum that used to spread vicious sentiment, was also attacked. I don't think it is a coincidence as both were platforms to spread ugly and vicious sentiment. I will try very hard not to rejoice as well. Haha!

DharmaDefender

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 06:25:07 PM »
I thought if the site was hacked the hacker will make it known it was his work, you probably see a lot of graphic with skulls all over the site ?
Looks moe like some files got corrupted perhaps.

Hahaha DS, skulls all over? Too many geek sci-fi flicks? From what I can remember, nothing like that was done to esangha. For all you know, the hackers motivation was to bring down something spreading false information about Dorje Shugden, and it was not to publicise themselves. Just drawing links bhere because thats what I heard happened to esangha - someone got POd the forum was not presenting a positive, true image of Buddhism because of selective moderation, so they took it down.

Or maybe the Phayul admin messed up during a maintenance round, and cant find the error to fix it ;D

WisdomBeing

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 04:30:14 PM »
The site is still down, and the last posts were on 5 December. I hope they resolve it soon otherwise the poor anti-Shugden people won't have anywhere to air their grievances. Actually by airing all their anti-Shugden rhetoric, they are inadvertently publicising Dorje Shugden! Everything that is controversial automatically draws attention because human nature is just curious like that.

People will want to find out more about the controversy and this will plant Dharma seeds for them in the future, whether they take on Dorje Shugden practice or not. This is because, as everyone knows by now, Dorje Shugden is an enlightened being - the Buddha Manjushri.

So let's all hope Phayul is resurrected soon!

Mana

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 07:12:49 PM »
The site is still down, and the last posts were on 5 December. I hope they resolve it soon otherwise the poor anti-Shugden people won't have anywhere to air their grievances. Actually by airing all their anti-Shugden rhetoric, they are inadvertently publicising Dorje Shugden! Everything that is controversial automatically draws attention because human nature is just curious like that.

People will want to find out more about the controversy and this will plant Dharma seeds for them in the future, whether they take on Dorje Shugden practice or not. This is because, as everyone knows by now, Dorje Shugden is an enlightened being - the Buddha Manjushri.

So let's all hope Phayul is resurrected soon!

Dear WB,

You have a wonderful perspective to this. I like your angle and agree with you also. I hope they come back up again. They have nowhere else to air their fallacious anti-Shugden grievances.

Mana

thor

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 04:19:12 PM »
Still down...

DharmaSpace

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 04:23:53 PM »
Well the fact that they use childish rhetoric to put down Dorje Shudgen and the people associated to it, and they like to flame the people who go there I am sure many people would have been turned off by personal attacks and not a discussion of the points.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 04:38:49 PM »
I tried to put forward another perspective when i first joined phayul years ago but the anti-Shugden stalwarts (all two of them) would just decimate me with personal attacks so i stopped trying to interact with them on a mature level. Nowadays, I just pop in now and then to see what's the latest discussion.

Like I said though - the more they attack Shugden and the cult website as they call this site, the more people will wonder what the fuss is about and come and find out for themselves! So they are inadvertently doing Dorje Shugden a favour with free publicity. Didn't someone say that what's worse than being talked about is NOT being talked about!

I've noticed that often when there's a lot of views on a Shugden thread on Phayul, there's a corresponding spike in viewership here. So I do hope they don't stop over there. The more they post, the better for us!

DSFriend

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 08:20:10 AM »
I tried to put forward another perspective when i first joined phayul years ago but the anti-Shugden stalwarts (all two of them) would just decimate me with personal attacks so i stopped trying to interact with them on a mature level. Nowadays, I just pop in now and then to see what's the latest discussion.

Like I said though - the more they attack Shugden and the cult website as they call this site, the more people will wonder what the fuss is about and come and find out for themselves! So they are inadvertently doing Dorje Shugden a favour with free publicity. Didn't someone say that what's worse than being talked about is NOT being talked about!

I've noticed that often when there's a lot of views on a Shugden thread on Phayul, there's a corresponding spike in viewership here. So I do hope they don't stop over there. The more they post, the better for us!

I agree with your perspective and observation re the spike in views! I hope Phayul comes back on.

Anyway, Phayul visitors, you are always welcomed to browse and read on this site :)

thor

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 11:17:03 AM »

Kate, my experience on Phayul is the same. I also found that even though I was merely sharing my thoughts on general Buddhist topics, there are some on Phayul who have labeled me a Shugdenite, and attack me everytime I post something. It was getting to the point where a decent conversation was impossible, and I left Phayul shortly after.

Well, thanks to the combined efforts of Moose and others, many people on Phayul are hearing about Dorje Shugden without even looking for it. Looks like Moose is treading the path of the Dalai Lama, publicising Dorje Shugden wherever he goes... haha.

WisdomBeing

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 07:59:23 PM »
It's been more than 10 days and the Phayul forum is still down. There's not even a sign up which tells visitors what's going on - whether they are renovating the site or they are having technical difficulties. I guess nobody is really bothered. Perhaps they're on a Christmas break!

DharmaDefender

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 08:40:02 AM »
Or perhaps theyre too busy watching the Serpom opening because its so interesting that Shugdenites are growing, and anti-Shugdenites remain stagnant because theyre too busy on the online forums accusing everyone of taking Communist money hahahaha