Author Topic: Dalai Lama quotes  (Read 7228 times)

DharmaDefender

Dalai Lama quotes
« on: December 29, 2011, 07:40:59 AM »
A selection of quotes from His Holiness himself, which his anti-DS students would do well to listen to...

(you know, just thought Id send them a friendly reminder that their own leader talks about love and compassion, and it might be an idea for them to follow those teachings too!)

• All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives.
  • If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.
  • If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

And for us Dorje Shugden practitioners...

• I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe.
  • In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.
  • The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.

Carpenter

Re: Dalai Lama quotes
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 03:09:34 AM »
  • All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives.
  • If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

The above quotes are what I hear from most of the dharma teaching by various masters, but from this issue of DS Ban, what I notice here is most of the people who follow and practicing these teachings are not Dalai Lama follower, instead, it is DS Practitioners are the one who is applying these teachings.

Every religious has their own freedom to practice whatever deity they believe in, we do not intercept them, instead we should respect their belief. Unfortunately, people who practices DS has been receiving many damage / harm from many people, sad to hear that, these people are the Dalai Lama follower.

Simple as that, if a religious teaches you to raise our own belief and to put down other religious, is this still consider a good dharma practice? The right religious that we should follow?

triesa

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 06:52:30 AM »

Simple as that, if a religious teaches you to raise our own belief and to put down other religious, is this still consider a good dharma practice? The right religious that we should follow?

One of the main reasons why I like buddhism is that it does not discriminate other religions, buddhist are known to pormote harmony and peace as we respect others' beliefs and the fact that buddhist also believe no matter what your skin colors is, whether you have a belief or not, we basically want happiness, that is the basic instinct of a living being.  This philiosophy definitely resonates with something inside me and that is how I started learning more about buddhism many years back.

Well, the fact that HHDL preaches one thing, compassion and forgiveness and did another in relation to the DS practitioners, is somewhat hard to comprehend on the surface.

I learnt from one of my friends that for something virtuous, great and monumentous to arise and which will benefit many many beings, someone would have to put in the hard work, take up some burdern, in order the object may come to fruition.

I relate this to the DS issue, for DS to become even more well known to people who might not even have the merits to hear his name or have a glimpse of his holy image, someone must create the conditions for DS to be well known.

And I think HHDL is doing this. I myself totally trust HH Trijang Rinpoche who told his students not to hold any negative thoughts towards HHDL but to continue their practice and we will all be able to see the clearer picture soon.

All the lineage lamas such as Pabongka Rinpoche, Trijang Rinpoche, Zong Rinpoche, just to name a few, are all DS practitioners. All of them have re-incarnated back and continue their works to benefit many. So DS cant be evil at all.....we just simply need to apply "logic".

Poonlarp

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 04:57:15 PM »
If my root Guru is HHDL, I would have faith in my Guru all the way including all thoughts he promotes. This is fine and I agree with triesa.

But if a Guru who promotes love, kindness and compassion universally, why would his decision or thoughts will hurt others?

I am not criticizing HHDL, but I don't understand why there are so many monks in the monastery literally suffer for practicing Dorje Shugden, the thought that he promotes is harming them.

So what is the point HHDL says "If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them."?

Carpenter

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 05:22:21 PM »
Well, from the surface, it might seems like DL’s instruction is harming the DS practitioner, but when we look at the other point of view, this could be a good chance for the monks to practice Dharma.

When the life is smooth and great, we can’t advance fast in our Spiritual practice, it is only when we are suffering, then only we can realize the suffering we had and learn to deal with it with a better way when it happen again.

I would look at ‘harm them’ is 2 different view

1.   Harm them now and to bring benefit to them in long term. (This might look like harm, but it is actually helping them.)

2.   Harm them to just purely to put them down and bring ourselves up

icy

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 02:39:28 AM »
A selection of quotes from His Holiness himself, which his anti-DS students would do well to listen to...

(you know, just thought Id send them a friendly reminder that their own leader talks about love and compassion, and it might be an idea for them to follow those teachings too!)

I always love this quote of His Holiness and keep it close to my heart.  What he said made alot of sense to follow.  If only the anti DS student of His Holiness could remember HIS quote and apply them, the world will surely become a happier and peaceful place to live in.

And for us Dorje Shugden practitioners...

• I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe.
  • In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.
  • The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.

triesa

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 06:02:46 AM »
If my root Guru is HHDL, I would have faith in my Guru all the way including all thoughts he promotes. This is fine and I agree with triesa.

But if a Guru who promotes love, kindness and compassion universally, why would his decision or thoughts will hurt others?

I am not criticizing HHDL, but I don't understand why there are so many monks in the monastery literally suffer for practicing Dorje Shugden, the thought that he promotes is harming them.

So what is the point HHDL says "If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them."?

Dear Poonlarp,

I totally understand your point and doubts in HHDL, but we are also presented a lots of facts here, easpecially in this website that Dorje shugden has been exposed to a much wider audience since the beginning of this ban.

Sometimes things may appear ugly on the surface but in the end, we may be overwhelmed by the whole picture. If we believe in HHDL a maniefestation of Cherinzig, a buddha of compassion, how can he be alllowing all the sufferings of his own people who just simply want to continue the practice of this Dharma protector as passed from the lineage gurus such as Trijang rinpoche and Pabongka Rinpoche.  I hope this explanation below may shed some lights to you .........

I have heard from one of my close dharma friends, shortly after he came to practice the dharma, his life went completely chaotic, he got himself into more financial problems, his health issues propped up, he has legal cases against him, well to him, his life has never been worse. But he has never lost faith in his guru, he continued his practice and now, his health is recovering very well, his legal issues are being resolved and he is starting a new business venture. According to him, the only thing that held him in place is his faith in his Guru and Dorje Shugden.

All this purification, and it is in his exact words, that he was grateful to DS as the pruification has cleansed his mind and made him realize all the mistakes and faults he had made.

So my point here is, things appearing bad now may have a silver lining in the future. And I want to say it again here that Trijang Rinpoche has advised his students to be patience and not to hold any negative thought to HHDL on this ban, but things will appear clearer in the future.

Lawrence L

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 07:26:06 PM »
I always think that the ban is for a bigger picture. I believe in Dorje Shugden, as well as the Dalai Lama.
Think about when the China Communist intrude into Tibet, and because of that, Tibetan Buddhism spread widely to world wide as the lamas escaped from Tibet during the time. This is why we are able to receive teachings from so many High Lamas such as Trijang Riponche and etc.

The story back to that time was sad though, but Tibetan Buddhism flourish everywhere in the world nowaday! For Dorje Shugden controversy, we actually able to control or change the bad situation by promoting peace and creating a peace and harmony scene even though the ban is stil exist. It's not necessarily a sad and bloody story. No matter you are Dorje Shugden's practitioner or not, we all are Buddhist, and the core of Buddhism is PEACE.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »

Essentially the Dalai Lama has said that whatever you want to practise, go ahead its your choice. Just look at that quote you have - if you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them. Its about choice.

He may talk about other stuff too, like actual methods for implementing the ban but actually every second is our choice. You can CHOOSE whether or not you want to implement the ban. You can CHOOSE whether or not you want to inflict suffering on others.

But if you take a step back and examine your actions, are you CHOOSING what is right? To me, the ban is one big teaching on making the right choices. Im emphasising the aspect of choice because I feel that too many people are using the Dalai Lama as a scapegoat for their personal agendas. They inflict harm on others and use the ban as an excuse to do so, and then use the Dalai Lama as a reason for why the ban is correct.

But essentially the core of Buddhism like LawrenceL said, is peace. You know you have made the right choice when your decision results in peace, and when it comes from peace. The anti-Shugdenites need to learn that even if the choice to do the right thing is hard, at the end of the day it is still the truth and the truth will prevail.

Lineageholder

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »

I myself totally trust HH Trijang Rinpoche who told his students not to hold any negative thoughts towards HHDL but to continue their practice and we will all be able to see the clearer picture soon.

When and where did Trijang Rinpoche say this?