Author Topic: Tulku Drakpa Gyalten is the Dalai Lama's youngest brother?!  (Read 18797 times)

jeremyg

Tulku Drakpa Gyalten is the Dalai Lama's youngest brother?!
« on: February 04, 2012, 03:37:35 AM »
Quite recently I was reading around the Shugden issue on multiple websites. I was trying to find a unbiased view towards the situation. It was when doing this that I stumbled upon something very startling. I was reading around on Shugdensociety.info when I read that Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsen could have reincarnated in the line of Ngari Tulkus. and that Ngari Rinpoche is the brother of the fourteenth, and current Dalai Lama.

This in an extract from Shugdensociety.info; the whole article can be read here: http://shugdensociety.info/Bernis2EN.html

Tulku Dragpa Gyaltsen himself wrote poetic verses mentioning that in future he will incarnate everywhere, not only in Tibet (stated in the introduction to the be.bum). A more recent scholar, one of this century, Kachen Sopala from Tashi Lhunpo Monastery, claims that Tulku Dragpa Gyaltsen reincarnated in the incarnation line of Ngari Tulkus. The present Ngari Rinpoche is the brother of the Fourteenth Dalai Lama.

If this was true, and I do not discount it, what would it mean for the Dalai Lama? We all know that Dorje Shugden is the emergence of Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsen as a Dharma Protector. Surely the Dalai Lama as an enlightened being would know that his own brother was an emanation of Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsen. What would this mean for the ban, and the Dalai Lama's image? If this were true it would also contradict the ban heavily, and I am sure this is why it has not made it out into public yet. I also read somewhere that there was a ban on the search for Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsen's emanations. This could be why there is so little information regarding this topic.

More evidence of the Dalai Lama's brother being Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsen can be found on the Dalai Lama's own website, in his online biography: http://www.dalailama.com/biography/from-birth-to-exile

The youngest brother, Tenzin Cheogyal was also recognised as the reincarnation of another high lama, Ngari Rinpoche.

Of course, no one had any idea that I might be anything other than an ordinary baby. It was almost unthinkable that more than one tulku (reincarnation) could be born into the same family and certainly my parents had no idea that I would be proclaimed Dalai Lama, His Holiness writes

There is a bit more about Ngari Rinpoche on: mindandlife.org/choegyal/

Tenzin Choegyal is the youngest brother of His Holiness the Dalai Lama. He
was born in Lhasa in 1946, and at the age of four was recognized as the 15th Ngari Rinpoche. Rinpoche began his monastic education in Lhasa at Drepung Monastery in 1953 at the age of 7 and remained there until he fled Lhasa with the Dalai Lama and his family in 1959.

Please do read more about him. However there is very little information on Ngari Rinpoche/Tenzin Cheogyal. If anyone knows anymore or can add to this, can they please do? I would really like to know more about the Dalai Lama's brother especially if he is an emanation of Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsen. It would really stir up the ban if this was confirmed and went out into the public haha.

DharmaSpace

Re: Tulku Drakpa Gyalten is the Dalai Lama's youngest brother?!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 11:05:42 AM »
This post also mentions about Ngari Dragpa Gyeltsen.
http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=236

Hence would he Dalai Lama actually bring harm to his own brother who is a recognised line of incarnation from Tulku Dragpa Gyeltsen?

Thank you jeremyg for you efforts in digging out information about Ngari Rinpoche.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 11:50:10 AM »
This is again evidence that there is a bigger motive for the ban. I do not think the Dalai Lama would in anyway harm his own brother. I believe Ngari Rinpoche is currently in Drepung Monastery in India.

But have you notice that recently the Dalai Lama has been less critical about the Dorje Shugden ban? He did acknowledge that the DS practice is gaining wide publicity and more and more practitioners are emerging in Asia, America and Europe. However, he did not show much anger nor being very strict on this issue. In fact, he made it as if it is a passing remark. Is this a sign that the ban is getting looser?

Namdrol

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:37:27 PM »
That's a good piece of information Jeremyg. A highly attained pratitioner like Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen could have multiple emanations which can function on their own, so it is not impossible that Nagri Rinpoche (assuming he really is an emanation of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen ) and Dorje Shugden exist at them same time, and I am sure these two are not the only emanations of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen. Samdhong Rinpoche is also said to be an emanation of Dorje Shugden. So let's see what we have here...Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen emanates as Dorje Shugden, Dorje Shugden emanates as Samdhong Rinpoche, and Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen also emanates as Ngari Rinpoche....the possibilities are endless...

Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen and the 5th Dalai Lama were very close back then, both stayed in Drepung Monastery, one in Zimkhang Gangma, the other one in Zimkhang Oma. So it is not surprising that they decided to become brothers in this life!

Everything is just a play, a show performed by the enlightened minds for the unenlightened, so once we realize this, all the more we should get back to our practise and don't waste time indulging in the "play", we should have surpassed that already, leave the "play" to those who still need it...

triesa

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 05:13:13 PM »
That's a good piece of information Jeremyg. A highly attained pratitioner like Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen could have multiple emanations which can function on their own, so it is not impossible that Nagri Rinpoche (assuming he really is an emanation of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen ) and Dorje Shugden exist at them same time, and I am sure these two are not the only emanations of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen. Samdhong Rinpoche is also said to be an emanation of Dorje Shugden. So let's see what we have here...Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen emanates as Dorje Shugden, Dorje Shugden emanates as Samdhong Rinpoche, and Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen also emanates as Ngari Rinpoche....the possibilities are endless...

Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen and the 5th Dalai Lama were very close back then, both stayed in Drepung Monastery, one in Zimkhang Gangma, the other one in Zimkhang Oma. So it is not surprising that they decided to become brothers in this life!

Everything is just a play, a show performed by the enlightened minds for the unenlightened, so once we realize this, all the more we should get back to our practise and don't waste time indulging in the "play", we should have surpassed that already, leave the "play" to those who still need it...

Good stuff Jeremyg!

Since the death of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen, the search of his incarnation has been banned. But that does not mean Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen did not incarnate back to continue helping sentient beings.  I also have heard that an enlightened minds can have multiple emanations, Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen could have emananted even as ordinary beings among us.

All these findings just bring us back to the same conclusion....there is definitely a "bigger picture" behind the DS ban, I know some of you may not like the idea of  "bigger picture", but what else can all these lead to?

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 06:05:37 AM »
Once the ban is lifted or fades away, then perhaps Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen’s lineage can be recognised again. Personally I don’t really understand that not recognizing the incarnation thing. After all, as the Dalai Lama is Chenrezig (my usual basis of hypothesis), then he would know who the incarnations are so why ban them?? The Great Fifth could have stopped his ministers from destroying Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen’s estate and the edict to stop the recognition of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen, but he didn’t.

Fair enough if this was during the period where the Great Fifth thought that Dorje Shugden was an evil spirit, but after he recognised that Dorje Shugden was enlightened, the Great Fifth could have reversed the decision on banning the incarnations of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen.

I find it ironic that in banning Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen’s incarnations, a ban was also effectively placed on Panchen Sonam Drakpa’s incarnations. Yet Gaden and Drepung monasteries continue to study Panchen Sonam Drakpa’s texts! Isn’t that contradictory?
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

DharmaDefender

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 02:56:44 PM »
Is contradiction the same as hypocrisy?

I think tis been brought up time and time again, that the ban throws up so many inconsistencies and yet people still doubt / deny Dorje Shugden. Its not just the texts that they should stop using to study and practise towards enlightenment... give us back all the money DS practitioners raised for the monasteries! Give us back the buildings we helped to fund, statues we helped to build, fields we helped to plough, etc etc... arent we unclean? Therefore how comes our money is clean?

WB, to me its more than that... if the Dalai Lama is Chenrezig and already planning / foreseeing the ban, why allow his brother to be recognised as Ngari Rinpoche? Hahaha

Since the death of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen, the search of his incarnation has been banned. But that does not mean Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen did not incarnate back to continue helping sentient beings.  I also have heard that an enlightened minds can have multiple emanations, Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen could have emananted even as ordinary beings among us.

Well in Little Buddha, Geshe Tsultim Gyeltsen has a mind, body and speech emanation... if Hollywood has heard of it, must be gospel! ;)

Klein

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 05:44:20 PM »
Once the ban is lifted or fades away, then perhaps Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen’s lineage can be recognised again. Personally I don’t really understand that not recognizing the incarnation thing. After all, as the Dalai Lama is Chenrezig (my usual basis of hypothesis), then he would know who the incarnations are so why ban them?? The Great Fifth could have stopped his ministers from destroying Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen’s estate and the edict to stop the recognition of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen, but he didn’t.

Fair enough if this was during the period where the Great Fifth thought that Dorje Shugden was an evil spirit, but after he recognised that Dorje Shugden was enlightened, the Great Fifth could have reversed the decision on banning the incarnations of Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen.

I find it ironic that in banning Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen’s incarnations, a ban was also effectively placed on Panchen Sonam Drakpa’s incarnations. Yet Gaden and Drepung monasteries continue to study Panchen Sonam Drakpa’s texts! Isn’t that contradictory?

I didn't realise that even Panchen Sonam Drakpa's incarnations are banned! Where did you get this information from?

With regards to the 5th Dalai Lama not lifting the ban on Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen's incarnations including subsequent Dalai Lamas, I believe the Dalai Lama has been teeing up for this controversy. With HH's clairvoyance, it would make sense to promote Dorje Shudgen's practice as a controversy because controversy sells nowadays. I think it's very difficult for HH to reincarnate as The Dalai Lama because of the possible Chinese interventions. So Dorje Shugden will "replace" The Dalai Lama in promoting the dharma after HH has gone into clear light.

Furthermore, the general masses are not interested to learn about the dharma. They are more interested about quick fixes. Dorje Shugden is very fasts in granting wishes. Not only would the seeds of Manjushri be planted in the people's mind, Dorje Shudgen would also skillfully veer them towards the dharma from now and all future lives until they become Enlightened.

vajralight

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 10:13:50 PM »
I thought Tsem Tulku Rinpoche's students considered Tsem Tulku Rinpoche to be the reincarnation of Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsan ? Or is this old news or simply rumours ??

Vajra

Zach

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 11:25:13 AM »
I thought Tsem Tulku Rinpoche's students considered Tsem Tulku Rinpoche to be the reincarnation of Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsan ? Or is this old news or simply rumours ??

Vajra

SHHHHH he gets enough flak as it is.

jeremyg

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 05:47:08 PM »

Vajra

I would never doubt that Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsen could come back as another Rinpoche as well. The enlightened mind is endless and this Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsen can theoretically have many emanations at the same time. However may Vajralight please state what he/she is basing this on? It would be nice if we can have some factual evidence instead of just pointless gossip.

Thank you

Jeremy

DharmaSpace

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »
I am sure Tulku Dragpa Gyeltsen can manifest emanations especially he is a realised and enlightened practitioners for many lifetimes.  But do we know how many types of emanations are there?
How many mind? How many body and how many speech emanation can a realised being manifest or it depends on how realised they are? 

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 07:33:52 PM »
What are the significant differences between "emanation" and "reincarnation"? Anyone would like to share?

dondrup

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 09:19:58 AM »
What are the significant differences between "emanation" and "reincarnation"? Anyone would like to share?

Emanation is an animate or inanimate form manifested by Buddhas or high Bodhisattvas to benefit others.

Reincarnation or Tulku is a physical manifestation, the continuation of the intent and compassionate activity of someone who lived before. The tulku may embody only an aspect of the earlier person - his or her mind, or speech. 

On rare occasions, there can be more than one tulku of a former teacher in the world at the same time. However, there can be countless emanations from the Buddhas or High Bodhisattvas.

Tulkus control their rebirths.  However, Buddhas or High Bodhisattvas spontaneously and continuously manifest their emanations in unlimited ways to benefit sentient beings. The ability to manifest emanations depends on the level of the Bodhisattva's attainment.  A tenth ground bodhisattva can manifest more emanations than a first ground bodhisattva.  Buddha has unlimited power to manifest unlimited emanations.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 05:49:29 PM »
i'm curious, why do some incarnations change their names? I can understand if there was controversy behind the names like Pabongkha Rinpoche needing to change his name because of the political issues behind his previous incarnations, but what about Trijang Rinpoche? Trijang Rinpoche has had so many incredibly powerful incarnations previously but the names have all been different until now? I believe the current Trijang Rinpoche is the second Trijang Rinpoche, why did he not keep his previous names?

Same with Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen.. why was he not known as the 2nd Panchen Sonam Drakpa? There certainly wasn't controversy there when Tulku Drakpa Gyeltsen was young?

Any light shed on this would be appreciated.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being