Author Topic: Snow Lion  (Read 16401 times)

samayakeeper

• Email
Snow Lion
« on: March 07, 2012, 12:33:15 AM »
Why is it that some images of the snow lion differ? Some show it looking to its right, some directly in front, some to its left and looking up at Dorje Shugden? Does it matter? Is it the artists' impression? Did it stem from different lineages?

I have been asked by a friend and I have no answer.

http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=10605

Namdrol

• Email
Re: Snow Lion
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 01:42:00 AM »
I believe it is purely artists' preference, no particular meaning if the snoe lion look right, left, center, up or down, as long as it is snow lion which represents:

Fearlessness that arises upon victory over ignorance, attachment and hatred, tramples the enemies, afflictive emotions arising from self-grasping and self-cherishing

by the way, some Dorje Shugden images of the Sakya lineage don't even have a snow lion!
see here: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=1755

Positive Change

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 06:34:39 AM »
Why is it that some images of the snow lion differ? Some show it looking to its right, some directly in front, some to its left and looking up at Dorje Shugden? Does it matter? Is it the artists' impression? Did it stem from different lineages?

I have been asked by a friend and I have no answer.

http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=10605

I found a desription of snow lions in tibetan art as the following:

The Snow Lion is a lion of peace from the beliefs of Tibet. The lion has a white body with a turquoise mane and turquoise striped patches on its body. It also has turquoise tufts on it tail and on its legs. His nose tongue and mouth are bright pink or bright red. Its eyes can range from yellow ochre, brown to blue.
The Snow Lion is said to live in the Himalayas but is so scarce that only those with enough positive karma could see such a beautiful beast. The Snow Lion symbolizes fearlessness and is often depicted in Tibetan Buddhist art on the thrones of the Buddha and is seen ridden by certain Dharma Protectors, spirits that protect the Buddhist tradition. Since Buddha feared no pain nor death and abided in peace, it is said that he was completely fearless and his teachings help us to develop similar qualities. Thus the Snow Lions are depicted and the corners of his throne lifting it up in the air.

The Snow Lion can also represent unconditional cheerfulness, the earth element and the east. The snow lion appears on the national flag of Tibet holding up the three jewels of refuge. The roar of the Snow Lion embodies the sound of Sunyata (emptiness), truth and fearlessness. It also roars the powerful and life changing teachings of Buddha that dispel fear and suffering. Its deafening roar also frees one from negative karma and allows one to be awakened. Some have said the the roar of the Snow Lion is so powerful that it could cause seven Dragons to fall from the sky.

In Tibet the word for snow lion is senge. In the East the snow lion symbol is associated with fearlessness, dominance over mountains, and the earth element. The snow lion is a celestial animal of Tibet. In Buddhism the Snow Lion protects Buddha in paintings and sculptures. There is a rare breed of mastiff dog known as a snow lion and it has been used for millennia to guard women and children.

See the smile? That's because the snow lion represents the primordial playfullness of 'joy' and 'bliss'. In myth the Snow Lion does not fly, but their feet never touch the ground.

With regards to the snow lion depicted in different head angles etc, I think it is generally the artists' impressions and I do not think it changes the symbolism of the snow lion per se. I could be wrong but I do not think there is a precise iconography associated with snow lion apart from the colours and how it looks like. Position of the head I think is purely subjective!

samayakeeper

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 04:30:06 AM »
Thank you, Namdrol, for the link. Yes, it is interesting to see and read why the snow lion was not depicted. And thank you too, Positive Change, for the explanation of the snow lion viewed as in Tibetan arts, culture and tradition. Much obliged.

I guess I shall reply my friend that it was the artist's impression of how and where the snow lion head is facing.

icy

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 03:04:35 AM »
Does anyone know if chi lin also known in chinese Kei Loons similar to snow lions?  Chi lin are heavenly creatures that have the horse body.  The head of dragon can blow cosmic chi which brings wealth into houses/offices and the horse body represents great career success.

Chi lin are used as one of the powerful feng shui cures to ward off bad flying stars. They are also the auspicious animals to represent good omen, prosperity, success, longevity, illustrious offspring, and enchantment.

thor

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 06:29:52 PM »
Icy, I know that the chi lin, like the snow lion, is a mount for some deities. Like the snow lion being the mount of Dorje Shugden, the chi lin is the mount of Namkar Barzin, a protector in his own right and one of Dorje Shugden's entourage.

The chi lin is commonly referred to as a mystical creature, with no known earthly origins. The same has been said of the snow lion. However there are accounts of actual occurences of real snow lions, the most common being how the first Domo Geshe Rinpoche made special medicinal pills using rare substances including dessicated snow lion milk.

If the snow lion can exist, perhaps the chi lin can as well.

Another interesting fact that I came across some time ago is that the Tibetan mastiff, probably the most expensive and rare dog in the world is also known as the Snow Lion... see these pics. The resemblance is somewhat eerie

Namdrol

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 06:48:13 PM »
hehehe, that's very interesting Thor, true that the resemblance is eerie, but a dog is no match for a lion in every ways.

Just for info sake, besides dragon, snow lion, chilin, the Pi Yao is also another mystical creature but it only appears in Feng Shui, I have never seen Pi Yao appearing in any religious context.

"Unlike the Dragon, Fu Dogs or Chi Lin, the Pi Yao may not be so commonly known. However, in the feng shui universe, the Pi Yao is supposed to rank just below the majestic universally known Dragon in terms of power and especially protection."

samayakeeper

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 02:12:27 AM »
Posted by: Namdrol
« on: Today at 02:48:13 AM »

Insert Quote

hehehe, that's very interesting Thor, true that the resemblance is eerie, but a dog is no match for a lion in every ways.

Just for info sake, besides dragon, snow lion, chilin, the Pi Yao is also another mystical creature but it only appears in Feng Shui, I have never seen Pi Yao appearing in any religious context.

"Unlike the Dragon, Fu Dogs or Chi Lin, the Pi Yao may not be so commonly known. However, in the feng shui universe, the Pi Yao is supposed to rank just below the majestic universally known Dragon in terms of power and especially protection."

This is interesting. I wonder if there are more of such mythical creatures as mounts in other customs, traditions and beliefs? Like the garuda? If such creatures are mythical, who initiated how they look like and the Beings riding them as mounts?

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 06:52:27 AM »
This is an interesting thread about the snowlions. Thanks for all the sharing from Namdrol and Positive Change. I’ve always wondered about these mythical creatures, whether they really exist or are they simply symbolic. I had always thought that they do – like the mythical dragons. I guess they come from a different realm.. in which case, would anyone know which realm they exist in? The God realm? Demi-God? Are they enlightened beings or samsaric? Are they an extension of the enlightened being’s energy whose mount they have manifested as? Any opinions appreciated! :D
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

ilikeshugden

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 08:19:55 AM »

This is a very interesting post about snow lions. Thank you for sharing so much information about the snow lion that Dorje Shugden sits on. I think that the way that the lion faces does not matter, as long it is a symbol of fearlessness. In the end, it is just the artists’ preferences when it comes to drawing the snow lions. For example, if a man decides to paint the Mona Lisa but with a smile or not, it is just the way the artist views things.

I noticed that the snow lion is prominent in many Buddhist images. For example, I found this beautiful picture of Manjushri who is sitting on a snow lion. I think this is very appropriate as Dorje Shugden is Manjushri and he is also riding a snow lion .I also remember reading in the Journey to the West book, Manjushri rides on a snow lion (which wreaks havoc by killing a man and turning into him. Of course, that was pure fiction!)  The picture is included down below.

Klein

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 03:42:06 PM »
How about the garuda? Does it really exist? One of dorje shugden's most wrathful form, Trakze, rides on a garuda. What does the garuda signify?

According to wikipedia, the "Garuda is depicted as having the golden body of a strong man with a white face, red wings, and an eagle's beak and with a crown on his head". The garuda feeds on snakes and is an "enemy" of nagas.

RedLantern

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 05:10:52 PM »
A short description about the snow lion.Snow lion resides in the east and represent unconditional cheerfulness
a mind free of doubt ,clear and practise.It has a beauty and dignity resulting from a body and mind that are synchronised.The snow lion has youthful vibrant energy of goodness and a natural sense of delight,The throne of a Buddha is sometimes depicted with eight lions on it which represent the eight main Boddhisatva-disciples of Buddha Shakyamuni,the historical buddha.

Positive Change

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 02:22:55 PM »
How about the garuda? Does it really exist? One of dorje shugden's most wrathful form, Trakze, rides on a garuda. What does the garuda signify?

According to wikipedia, the "Garuda is depicted as having the golden body of a strong man with a white face, red wings, and an eagle's beak and with a crown on his head". The garuda feeds on snakes and is an "enemy" of nagas.

Hello Klein... it does indeed exist. In fact the wrathful form of Dorje Shugden rides on a Garuda! Description as follows:

Karma Shugden, very dark red with a wrathful manner, holding in his right hand a sword raised to enemies and devouring a crystal heart with his left. He has clothes of black silk and rides a wrathful garuda.

There are also various practices that incorporates the garuda in the saddhana and visualisation... So I am very sure they do exist. Sure it may seem like a mythical creature because we have not had the privilege to see one (or we may not remember!) but as with Karma, it exist whether we believe it or not!

DS Star

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 10:13:51 AM »
The Snow Lion is the Mythological Symbol of Tibet.

Interesting to note that, similar to another more famous mythical animal, dragon, snow lion is depicted in many thangkas as the ride of the deities. Though in reality, it does not exist, snow lion represents the value of fearlessness and a cheerful mind.

Most Tibetan Buddhist believe it brings good luck thus it is being used as the official symbol for Tibet since 1909. Similar to dragon also, Tibetans even have snow lion dance to grace important events for auspicious welcome of high lamas and other important guests.

I wonder if this snow lion belief among Tibetans came from the Tibetan mastiff as this canine does looks like a lion especially the pure white ones. I watch a TV documentary, it showed that those dogs grow in their natural habitat in cold weather like under 10 degree Celsius can grow very big to two and half feet in height or bigger. Besides, the TV documentary also showed that this big dog is fearless, it even dare to challenge a real lion.

Rihanna

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »
Dear ilikeshugden, reference to what you mentioned: 'I also remember reading in the Journey to the West book, Manjushri rides on a snow lion (which wreaks havoc by killing a man and turning into him. Of course, that was pure fiction!)'.  Perhaps what the author of the book wrote is true ie the snow lion wreaks havoc by killing a man but in this case one's ego and ignorance is represented by a man.  I have also read somewhere that Dorje Shugden sits on a snow lion symbolising that he is King of Dharma Protectors! Have you seen any other dharma protector sitting on snow lion???

This is a very interesting post about snow lions. Thank you for sharing so much information about the snow lion that Dorje Shugden sits on. I think that the way that the lion faces does not matter, as long it is a symbol of fearlessness. In the end, it is just the artists’ preferences when it comes to drawing the snow lions. For example, if a man decides to paint the Mona Lisa but with a smile or not, it is just the way the artist views things.

I noticed that the snow lion is prominent in many Buddhist images. For example, I found this beautiful picture of Manjushri who is sitting on a snow lion. I think this is very appropriate as Dorje Shugden is Manjushri and he is also riding a snow lion .I also remember reading in the Journey to the West book, Manjushri rides on a snow lion (which wreaks havoc by killing a man and turning into him. Of course, that was pure fiction!)  The picture is included down below.