Author Topic: Snow Lion  (Read 16403 times)

Aurore

Re: Snow Lion
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 10:51:21 PM »
This is an interesting thread about the snowlions. Thanks for all the sharing from Namdrol and Positive Change. I’ve always wondered about these mythical creatures, whether they really exist or are they simply symbolic. I had always thought that they do – like the mythical dragons. I guess they come from a different realm.. in which case, would anyone know which realm they exist in? The God realm? Demi-God? Are they enlightened beings or samsaric? Are they an extension of the enlightened being’s energy whose mount they have manifested as? Any opinions appreciated! :D

The actual fact is I never ever thought about whether these creatures are real or not. To me, they do exist. Other than the fact that I do like to keep my mind open to possibilities, I have an experience once where I was in the car with my mom and family. Out of a sudden, my mom pointed to the sky and asking us to look at the direction she was pointing which was to the sky. What she saw was a black dragon flying amongst the clouds. I didn't see anything but blue sky.  :-\ My mom is an honest lady and I believe her. Whether it's some spirits playing tricks, she saw what she saw.

In the Buddhist context, dragons are very very real and they are considered to be part of the animal realm as depicted in The Wheel of Life. If dragons/serpents/nagas are not real, there is no reason for it to be depicted in this painting. The Wheel of Life is one of the most common subjects of Tibetan Buddhist art.

Other facts:-
- Many eastern countries have temples near fishing villages dedicated to nagas as it angers the nagas with all the fishing activities.
- There are also many cases of people being possessed by the naga spirit.

One part I don't quite understand is this. If nagas are part of animal realm, how come they are not visible to our eyes as animal realm has form. Does anyone know this?

vajraD

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 03:30:25 PM »
Wow… that is a lot to learn about all the mystical animals. I have always been attracted to picture and Tibetan painting. I have seen a lot of mystical animal on picture and some do have the animal carved on statues but in anyway do they really exist since we/I have not really seen them. Generations ago history mention there is dragon can dragon be a type of dinosaur then? Snow lion maybe is a different species of lion! Garuda maybe a type of bird during the dinosaur century too. Just like humane were apes in pass.

I like to hear more about all these mystical animals. Hehehe….

samayakeeper

• Email
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 02:43:35 AM »
A short description about the snow lion.Snow lion resides in the east and represent unconditional cheerfulness
a mind free of doubt ,clear and practise.It has a beauty and dignity resulting from a body and mind that are synchronised.The snow lion has youthful vibrant energy of goodness and a natural sense of delight,The throne of a Buddha is sometimes depicted with eight lions on it which represent the eight main Boddhisatva-disciples of Buddha Shakyamuni,the historical buddha.

Thank you, RedLantern. Do you know where the East is?

Does anyone know how the snow lion came about? Like, who commissioned the painting of its form and look? The same goes with the garuda and other mythical creatures.

Big Uncle

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 01:12:29 AM »
This is an interesting thread about the snowlions. Thanks for all the sharing from Namdrol and Positive Change. I’ve always wondered about these mythical creatures, whether they really exist or are they simply symbolic. I had always thought that they do – like the mythical dragons. I guess they come from a different realm.. in which case, would anyone know which realm they exist in? The God realm? Demi-God? Are they enlightened beings or samsaric? Are they an extension of the enlightened being’s energy whose mount they have manifested as? Any opinions appreciated! :D

The actual fact is I never ever thought about whether these creatures are real or not. To me, they do exist. Other than the fact that I do like to keep my mind open to possibilities, I have an experience once where I was in the car with my mom and family. Out of a sudden, my mom pointed to the sky and asking us to look at the direction she was pointing which was to the sky. What she saw was a black dragon flying amongst the clouds. I didn't see anything but blue sky.  :-\ My mom is an honest lady and I believe her. Whether it's some spirits playing tricks, she saw what she saw.

In the Buddhist context, dragons are very very real and they are considered to be part of the animal realm as depicted in The Wheel of Life. If dragons/serpents/nagas are not real, there is no reason for it to be depicted in this painting. The Wheel of Life is one of the most common subjects of Tibetan Buddhist art.

- Many eastern countries have temples near fishing villages dedicated to nagas as it angers the nagas with all the fishing activities.

One part I don't quite understand is this. If nagas are part of animal realm, how come they are not visible to our eyes as animal realm has form. Does anyone know this?

Dear Aurore,
I think the nagas are part of the animal realm because of the defining features of that existence. The pervading suffering of that realm is that animals are compelled by their instincts. On top of that, animals are unable to speak to express themselves and many of them suffer because they are in constant fear of being killed to be eaten. Hence, the nagas existence though invisible to us must have some of the qualities and that's why they are classified as animals.

dsdisciple

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 06:31:58 AM »
Additional information on snow lion thread :D

The lion, as king of all beasts, is the symbol of Shakyamuni Buddha - who is also known as Shakyasima (Tib. Sakya senge), the "Lion of the Shakya Clan". The lion is therefore one of the  prime symbols of Buddhism itself, with the eight lions of the eight directions supporting the throne of Shakyamuni's throne of enlightenment.

The lion as a sacred, solar or regal symbol is common amongst many cultures from Egypt, the Greek, Roman Empires of Europe and cultures in Mesopotamia, Assyria and Persia.

I love the playful nature and symbolism of the snow lion and other mythical creatures in the Buddhism Art.

It is very interesting to note that understanding the symbolism and meaning can be a timely inspiration to support practice...visualisations / mdeditations ..a road map if one knows what to look for.

Milarepa, had a prophetic dream about a snow-lion. His guru Marpa interpreted it thus.

"The lion pressing on the top of the pillar show's the yogin's lion-like nature. The lion's four paws represent the four "great immeasurables" (love, compassion, equanimity, and sympathetic joy). The lion's eyes turned towards the heaven shows the yogin's renunciation to samasaric life. The lion's roaming free over the mountain peaks show the yogin has gained the realm of absolute freedom"

Many years prior to Milarepa meeting Marpa, Marpa's own guru Naropa prohesised that Marpa's disciple Milarepa would become a special lineage holder of teachings in the land of snow.

xo

Zach

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 10:44:02 AM »

Dear Aurore,
I think the nagas are part of the animal realm because of the defining features of that existence. The pervading suffering of that realm is that animals are compelled by their instincts. On top of that, animals are unable to speak to express themselves and many of them suffer because they are in constant fear of being killed to be eaten. Hence, the nagas existence though invisible to us must have some of the qualities and that's why they are classified as animals.

Geshe Kelsang has said Nagas are part of the spirit realm. :)

icy

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 04:20:37 AM »

The lion, as the king of all beasts, is a symbol of sovereignty and protection. Early Buddhism adopted the lion as a symbol of Shakyamuni Buddha, who is also known as Shakyasimha, the 'Lon of the Shakya clan'.  As a symbol of his sovereignty the Budha is represented seated upon a throne supported by 8 lions.  These 8 directional lions symbolize the eight great Bodhisattvas, or 'Eight Close Sons' of the Buddha.

'Lion's Roar', is the term refers to the supremacy of Buddha's teachings over all other heretical doctrines.

The lion is a vehicle of many Vajrayana deities, including Vaishravana, Manjushri, Ganapati, and Dorje Shugden.  The Lion throne is common to many nirmanakaya Buddha forms, such as the Medicine Buddha, Ratnasambhava and Vairocana - the white Buddha of the centre or east and Lord Buddha family.