Author Topic: Phayul Tibetan website under attack!  (Read 9169 times)

pgdharma

Re: Phayul Tibetan website under attack!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »
As the saying goes "you reap what you sow". In this case, too bad, Phayul, your negative karma is catching up on you.  This is a big slap to the face of Phayul. I wonder who is doing that. If nothing is done for the lifting of the ban, more negative karma may arise and I think the same will happen for CTA website too.  Let us use the cyber space to spread the truth and understanding instead of slandering, and spreading lies about Dorje Shugden.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »
Even though Phayul was set up to promote Tibetan Independence Tibetan Exiles in India, it got it self dragged and allowed the discussions of various topics "Tibetan" including about the issue of Dorje Shugden. It is the claim by the Dalai Lama that propitiating the Protector will negatively affect the independence of Tibet that this topic is "relevant". Its stand was obviously against Dorje Shugden and hence, we can say the negative Karma generated is tremendous.

However, I don't think a website has Karma by itself but the people running it has. The DOS of the site is from the karma of the people running it.

On a more worldly point of view, it can be equated to a cyber war, where we have 3 million Tibetans plus supporters on one side (3 million in China) and 1.3 billion Chinese plus overseas Chinese (40 mil) plus supporters on the others. You do the math.

It is a losing battle, I am sorry to say. If the Chinese gives independence to the TIbetans, there will be absolute anarchy in China, with 55 ethnic groups, each can claim independence. Chiiling!

Good Luck to you, Phayul!

Sorry but what independence? that forum is unfortunately, full of smack. Members were insulting each other in very childish and archaic ways that even a 5 year old child would find childish. Name calling and insulting each other's parents, cyberstalking and all kinds of shit was allowed on those forums. There was little or no meaningful discussions anywhere whatsoever on those forums.

And then, there's moose. I wonder how is he doing. He lost his grazing ground where he could openly attack any Lama that was mentioned on phayul. Life must be very boring now for him! I don't see him around here or anywhere…hmm i wonder why…is it because he knows that he knows nothing? I am still quite amused to see that the moderators there allow him to go on a rampage against a lot of high and well known Lamas. well done!!! You won the internets!

In general, I don't feel that the forum was well maintained in the first place. The fact that the moderators could not care less of what was happening in the forum or what would happen shows that they are not exactly educated or smart in the first place because a forum that is not well managed in the samsaric world becomes a target for lawsuits when misinformation is spread. From a spiritual level, it generates unbelievable amounts of bad karma.

I'd say that it is good riddance that the forum is down. From the looks of it, I don't believe that phayul would miss their forum at all. It would be less work for the mods. Perhaps that is what they are aiming? In that case, why not take it down earlier because it is nothing but a showcase of how backward and childish the people there are.

kris

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 07:41:37 AM »
I was told that Phayul has got a forum which has a lot of visitor, but the moderators are very biased, and their forum has been down for many years, then it was later restored. So I decided to go take a look on their forum: http://forums2.phayul.com/

However, the forum is down. I am not sure if that has anything to do with the DDOS attack.

As such, I am yet to see how biased are they. :)

nagaseeker

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »
talk about karma~
Side-effects of DDOS attack
Small packets The most common side effect is the impact of huge numbers of small packets to be
handled by inline network or security devices. Depending on functionalities implemented on such devices, forwarding a packet from one interface to another may need several operations. A simple router must make a decision according to its routing table. In case of packet filtering operations, layer 4 headers must be checked to validate filters. Stateful inspection adds complexity as it is needed to check session tables. Last application layer devices such as reverse proxy must handle the packet at layer 7. Some other operations such as packet mangling or NAT requires even more processing as the packet has to be rewritten and several checksums recalculated.
The effect of small packets can be easily described with figures. On average, a device specified to handle a specific bandwidth will hardly provide a throughput of more than 10 percent of announced performances when dealing with 64 byte packets. Any attack relying on packets smaller that 100 bytes may first bring router and firewalls down instead of only impacting the target server.
Uplink flooding Another common side-effect is the flooding of links on the path to the target.
Requests and packets sent by the attacker rarely generate enough traffic to fill up the links. However, responses from the target usually add considerably the traffic. A basic example is that of a SYNFlood. A SYN packet of 64 bytes causes the target to generate 3 SYN-ACK (due to retransmission attempts). This kind of effect is even more efficient in the case of application-based attacks. A simple HTTP request is usually around 200 bytes when the data sent back to the client is usually around 10.000 bytes.
In “one-to-one” attacks it is essential that the response from the server doesn’t make its way to the attacker, as this would eventually also flood the attacker’s link. In
such case, it is necessary for spoofing to be possible and easy to perform. UDP based applications are perfectly suitable for generating such effects. This is particularly simple to demonstrate in the case of DNS floods (see logical weaknesses / operation mode). Without any consideration of requests to TLD and SOA (which again, increases the traffic through target Internet link), a request for MX records on an important domain will provide an interesting multiplication factor to the original request volume.
# dig radware.com mx
? ? ?
Request: 71 bytes Answer: 551 bytes Multiplication factor = 73?These side effects are to be considered as a major concern, especially in a shared infrastructure where an attack targeted at a single server may impact dozens of systems relying on the same infrastructure as the original target.

what else ???  ???
If found guilty, the attackers could face a maximum sentence of six years in jail.  8)
by Graham Cluley on May 9, 2012

Two teenagers have been arrested in Norway in connection with a series of distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks against websites in the country, and elsewhere around the world.

Norway's National Criminal Investigation Service (NCIS) has refused to go into much detail of which websites were targeted by the attacks, but news reports have suggested that victims are believed to include the Norwegian Lottery, the Norwegian Police Security Service, the Norwegian bank DNB, Germany's Bild Magazine, and the UK's Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA).

SOCA was hit by a high profile denial-of-service attack last week, preventing internet users from reaching it.

The motivation for the attacks is presently unclear.

The arrested teenagers, who have not been named, are aged 18 and 19 years, and are said to have launched the attacks over a period lasting "several weeks", flooding websites with unwanted traffic to such an extent that legitimate visitors would find them inaccessible. In simple terms, a DDoS attack is the equivalent of "15 fat men trying to get through a revolving door at the same time" - nothing can move.

If found guilty, the teenagers could face a maximum sentence of six years in jail.

Once again, it seems worth reminding computer users that participating in a denial-of-service attack is against the law, and is not viewed leniently by the authorities.