Author Topic: China: The Patron of Global Buddhism?  (Read 16548 times)

Dondrup Shugden

Re: China: The Patron of Global Buddhism?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 04:44:30 PM »
Nothing is permanent, the Chinese Government may have locked China away from the world for 50 years but look at it now.  It is the world's 2nd largest economy next to US. Do we see changes in China? No one will doubt that there are changes beyond belief in China.

Will China overtake US as the world super power? Maybe not and maybe yes. In all aspects of what China had been doing for the past 30 years towards a CHANGE had been criticized and condemned. But China had shown results and excelled.

I hope that China will be the patron of Global Buddhism and with such a successful and strong patron, may buddhism spread in 10 directions.

If China is truly against the Dalai Lama, may China support the growth and practice of Dorje Shugden.

I am not into politics nor how governments should conduct themselves, rather I hope for the skillful means whereby China will lead the world to Buddhism.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 05:38:36 PM »
China is undoubtedly going to be the next big economic power on the world’s stage. Although they have been clamping down on various monasteries in the Tibetan region, I do think that that is more politically motivated rather than being against Buddhism per se. The Chinese government is simply safeguarding the stability of its huge country, which is understandable.

As China moves forward economically, I think they will recognise that Buddhism is a good philosophy for its people to balance the materialism that is prevalent and which if unchecked, can make for a dog-eat-dog society, rather than the harmonious society which I believe the Chinese government is striving for.

Buddhism exists in so many forms – and has been in China for centuries. It is not a new religion. As others have mentioned, there are Buddhist holy places in China. Also, technically - although I hate labels - as Tibet is now part of China, Tibetan Buddhism is now Chinese Buddhism. Adding to the Chinese Mahayana base, it does make sense for China to become a patron of global Buddhism. I just hope that they can achieve this sans the political issues, which again I think will be easier with - sorry to say - HH the Dalai Lama’s passing (may he live long). While that transition happens, Dorje Shugden’s practice can help many people in China to discover spirituality within their scope of economic materialism - for now.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 03:41:37 AM »
Another thing that I would like to add is to not judge china by its past. It might have made several mistakes along the way, especially pertaining to the cultural revolution whom they themselves have admitted and realized that it is a mistake and have been spending the last few years repairing that mistake by repairing temples everywhere (probably as tourist attractions, but thats besides the point) and allowing Buddhism to flourish.

in the recent years they have done a lot of improvements for Buddhism and all of these is very encouraging, so to speak. I think it is about time that we judge china by their current standards. The next generation of Chinese leaders are growing up among people who have severe moral decay and are unable to react or act in a morally proper manner to things around them due to lack of spirituality.

This kind of creates a void that needs to be filled with spirituality since this was created by China itself with the cultural revolution that created the causes for such moral decay to happen. But since they are repairing temples around, and there are many other Buddhist institutions in China that are really still thriving, we can see that they actually have a better track record than what the CTA has been claiming.

China, being a nation that has faced so many civil wars, disasters and rebellions in the past, is always paranoid of losing their vassal states or their land. When the tibetans are trying so hard to separate tibet from china, it might provoke a chain reaction of stability in the country. So for tibet you wouldnt mind if the entire country of china descends into chaos? utter selfishness...i think thats why HHDL isnt too keen on getting Tibet back.

shugdenprotect

• Email
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 04:50:32 PM »
Wow, this thread of comments and points of view is so charged up with rich thoughts and passionate discussion. It is so inspiring to read the openness that is clearly driven by the motivation to have Dorje Shugden practice flourish.

I especially agree with what WisdomBeing and Ensapa said about China’s intention to safeguard stability during these tender moments of political, economical and social boom. We cannot blatantly conclude that running such a gigantic nation is a simple task. Instead, we should respect the challenge of government to constantly keep a balance between political, economical and social interests. Additionally, we should also individualise our view of the China phenomenon, i.e. look at the Chinese nation as individuals who are no different from you and me: a father, mother, sister, brother, son, daughter etc. Once we develop this view, we will truly rejoice in the fact that these precious human lives have the chance to be blessed by the Dharma.

Thus, as China works to be a patron of Buddhism, we should contribute our part by praying that this journey would be one that is progressive and beneficial. We should and must effectively contribute by having constructive Dharma knowledge and discussions like this available to fellow Chinese Dharma practitioners. Fellow Chinese Dharma practitioners are hungry for reliable information and teachings. Thus, like any spiritual seeker, they should be welcomed to learn and not feel judged.

hope rainbow

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 08:31:28 AM »
I like what has been said here by Harry Nephew and Hope Rainbow. It is very clear that Buddhism is long entrenched in Chinese Culture and Psyche. Hence, as China progresses down the road of economic prosperity, it will need spirituality very badly to counter the negative effects of materialism. I think it is very wise that the Chinese are looking into it right now.

I think they have realized this and recognizing and promoting home-groomed religious leaders like the Panchen Lama. On top of that, it will be easier for the Chinese to embrace Buddhism as its people get wealthier and more educated and the very fact that it is closer to Chinese culture than other faiths. All makes for a very exciting spiritual future for China.

History shows that every time there is an economical growth, governments promote religion, if only for sake of stability. In turn, religious leaders have used this to make spirituality grow, and sometimes this has received harsh critics too.

This time is no different than other times of history, there is a balance between the only two types of beings there can be: enlightened and sentient.
And for as long as the sentient cannot align to the enlightened, then the enlightened will have to align to the sentient so as to be effective in helping them.

Everyone who has a close relationship with a Guru would have seen this in action at a personal level.
It is the same dynamic that is applied here at a national level.

China is a historical ground for Buddhism, and the history is still in the making for it has every possible asset to become a leading country not only economically, but also spiritually.

So yes indeed, China as a patron of Global Buddhism, even with Amnesty International reports, even with the arrests, etc... because this is samsara, because China is not populated by billions of enlightened beings.
The fact is this: the best way for China to create causes to not be in Amnesty International reports in the future is to embrace spirituality, and for China, it would have to be Buddhism, even more, it would have to be the Vajrayana Buddhism of Atisha, of Nagarjuna, of Lama Tsongkhapa, of Dorje Shugden!

pgdharma

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 06:37:53 PM »
China is reinstating Buddhism again after they ban all religion during the Cultural Revolution. I guess the leaders realized that their people are heading toward materialism and introducing Buddhism back is a good way to bring some spirituality to the people. However, I feel China is promoting Buddhism in their own way as they do not practice religious freedom. HHDL was not invited to the three forums nor was he invited to join in the peace conference in Lumbini. Even though the leaders are bias, at least the people can practice Buddhism openly. With the China's Panchen Lama, establishing himself as the spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhists in China and as China is against HHDL; they will support and encourage Dorje Shugden’s practice.

Even though they are not promoting Buddhism in the correct way and heading towards being the patron of Global Buddhism, I think it is a good sign as Dorje Shugden practice will create a big impact in China.

RedLantern

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 12:20:54 PM »
It is widely believed that Buddhism was introduced to China during the Han period.After the introduction,    Mahayana Buddhism, the most prominent branch of Buddhism in China .The influence of Buddhism grew to such an extent that vast amounts of financial and human resources were expended on the creation and establishment of impressive works of art and elaborate temples.This growing interest in Buddhism helped to inspire newways of depicting dieties,new types of architectural spaces in which to develop them.
The great motherland China recognized also the importance of Dorje Shugden worship for the flourishing of the pure Buddhist doctrine and heading towards being the patron of Global Buddhism.

Klein

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 03:35:07 PM »
I especially agree with what WisdomBeing and Ensapa said about China’s intention to safeguard stability during these tender moments of political, economical and social boom. We cannot blatantly conclude that running such a gigantic nation is a simple task. Instead, we should respect the challenge of government to constantly keep a balance between political, economical and social interests.

What shugdenprotect says here makes  a lot of sense. China has come a long way and is currently ranked second economically in the world. Which country has advanced as fast as China and still keep the country together regardless of the imperfections? Which country is free of flaws anyway?

Look at the number 1 country, USA. The Americans go around the world creating wars in the name of peace, poor health care programs for the citizens, huge financial scams, racism and so on. But why is it that people don't criticise the USA as harshly? This is because the one with the most money rules. It's part of samsara and it's the blatant truth.

Looking at the rate that China grows, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to predict that she will be the number 1 country in the world very soon. As such, the rest of the world will follow the number 1 country's language, culture, cuisine and religion. It's already happening now. Look at how popular Chinese language has become as a second language to learn?

As vajraprotector stated, "5 of the Chinese UNESCO world heritage sites are Buddhist: Mount Wutai, the Longmen Grottoes, the Potala Palace in Lhasa, the Mogao Caves and the Yunggang Grottoes. There are 13,000 temples, over 200,000 Buddhist monks and nuns, and 34 Buddhist schools and colleges in China.", it is clear that Buddhism has been deep rooted in the Chinese culture for many centuries. It is inevitable that China will be the Patron of Global Buddhism whether we like it or not.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 04:15:07 PM »
Here is an interesting thing to think about: even now after the cultural revolution, of all the many religions in the world, why does China choose Buddhism to promote? China is a huge nation and they have obviously many people to be part of the approval process. Why not Christianity? or even their native Taoism as a means to provide spiritual happiness to China?

Also, why did the emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties chose a Tibetan Lama as their teachers and the national spiritual master instead of choosing a Chinese buddhist monk as one, or a taoist priest as one? Of the many spiritual practitioners that is readily available in China, why did they chose a Tibetan lama to guide them spiritually instead? Perhaps they know something we dont.

The lineage in China has ended with the 6th patriarch Hui Neng, and he has not appointed any lineage holder after him which is why without the blessings of a lineage holder there isnt much growth in terms of spiritually advanced practitioners with attainments that can benefit and transform the minds of countless people after the 6th patriarch's departure.

The cultural revolution has further weakened Chinese Buddhism since, and they do need some time to revive, perhaps even having their lineage restarted from Tibet. If that happens, Buddhism in China including the existing Chinese system will grow far and wide and its practitioners would be able to acquire attainments and results from their Dharma practice as opposed to the current situation.

diamond girl

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 08:08:19 PM »
In my personal opinion, there is nothing that China, or any world power, does which is not for political and economic reasons. We cannot deny that through political and economic reasons, people have gained on the social aspect. People gain when there is economic growth, and such growth can flourish when there is political stability. So, it is like the chicken and the egg situation and more. It is difficult to say one must happen before the other, they are just all intertwined. On the flip side, there have also been much human suffering arising from political agendas, example wars.

Back to this big question of China being a Patron of Global Buddhism.... Without being a "traitor" I would say personally, it is a good thing for China to support Buddhism for whatever underlying intention. Politically, by allowing Buddhism, China will look tolerant and religious friendly which will perhaps dampen the media blows on monks and nuns self-immolation incidences. Economically, developing Lumbini will be good. Even religion has to move with the times if we want to attract the modern people. As much as history is important it does not mean that it should live in the conditions of the past. Modernization can take place but still maintain the precious history. This is what makes culture.

On the point of culture, I have personally come to understand after meeting many people in Beijing, that Tibetan Buddhism is very much liked in Beijing especially among the newly affluent society. They like the rich culture and history. There is a cross of embracing Buddhism as a culture and presenting the religion as a means of rich culture to nurture and create the foundation for peace. They do not seem to put the religious message upfront and directly but more they emphasize the aspect of art, culture, history and the peace of this combination. I found this to be quite an interesting twist and effective.

There will always be a taste of suppression when it comes to religion and China, which may not be such a bad thing since uncontrolled religion, or any subject matter per se, is anarchy which can be disruptive and destructive. And I would like to emphasize that such anarchy is caused by humans and not the principles of any religion. So having control may be a good thing especially when peace is the eventual outcome and purpose.     

kurava

• Email
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 11:25:45 PM »
Why not ?

Buddhism has a very long history in China. The first historical Buddhist monk went to Narlanda University dated back to the Tang Dynasty. When he returned home with the precious sutras, he was given a hero's reception. This showed how much the Tang Emperor valued the religion. With the Emperor and the people practising Buddhism, the Tang Dynasty became a supreme power during that era ; its power spread from the Middle East to Japan.

Just like Asoka the Great, when a strong ruler tempered his reign with religious wisdom, more benefit arose. China during the Tang Dynasty also helped spread Buddhism far and wide.

Buddhism is deeply ingrained with Chinese culture and education. Even at the peak of the Cultural Revolution, Premier Chou Eng Lai gave strict instruction not to destroy certain Buddhist temples.

Now that China has reached economic stability, the politicians see the wisdom of spreading moral values through religion. . . . and what better choice than Buddhism , which is already an integral part of Chinese culture ? As China is a world's super power now, definitely China will be the Patron of Global Buddhism.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 06:10:36 AM »
Most important of all, only Buddhism can heal the wounds that have been caused by the cultural revolution as only Buddhism is fluid enough to adapt to the various cultures and dispositions of the people in China and also the world. Buddhism does not take a destructive approach when it reaches another country or force the people there to adopt Buddhism by abandoning their own culture, it assimilates into it.

China has a long history with Buddhism and much of its philosophy has absorbed seamlessly into Chinese culture as well as with taoism and confucianism thus Buddhism still has a very strong hook and impression left deep inside China's culture, however that seed needs the correct conditions and times to grow. This is where Dorje Shugden comes into play as he has the powers and abilities to help.

As Chinese Buddhism is still recovering, Tibetan Buddhism is strong enough to lend a had due to the it having the lineage intact as well as a powerful protector such as Dorje Shugden to help and assist with Dharma related issues as well as repair the conscience and moralities of the Chinese so that they will once again be able to grow not just materially but spiritually as well.

I believe at this point onwards, the Chinese government is aware of this and this they have "created" their own Panchen Lama to lead the Tibetans spiritually first, then the rest of China. Under these circumstances, perhaps Panchen Lama would make sure that the tibetans no longer suffer, or that the Dalai Lama will return but no long pursue the Tibetan cause but rather focus on human rights and the Dharma.

dsiluvu

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 02:51:14 PM »
It is no surprise that the China will be the future Patron of Global Buddhism once again. Let us not forget and look back at history that Buddhism first reached China from India roughly 2,000 years ago, during the Han Dynasty. Then Buddhism from China slowly came down and spread all over Asia starting with Japan.

Buddhism in China: Major Schools

Four of the schools of Mahayana Buddhism that emerged in China:

In 402 CE the monk and teacher Hui-yuan (336-416) established the White Lotus Society at Mount Lushan in southeast China. This was the beginning of the Pure Land school of Buddhism. Pure Land eventually would become popular throughout large parts of Asia. Today it is the dominant form of Buddhism in Japan.

About the year 500, an Indian sage named Bodhidharma (ca. 470-543) arrived in China. At the Shaolin Monastery in what is now Henan Province, Bodhidharma founded the Ch'an school of Buddhism, better known in the West by its Japanese name, Zen.

Now this is an interesting part as Bodhidharma is also believed to be incarnation lineage of Manjushri and Dorje Shugden which we can see on page 19 onwards in Music Delighting an Ocean of Protectors written by Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang.

Tiantai emerged as a distinctive school through the teachings of Zhiyi (also spelled Chih-i, 538-597). Along with being a major school in its own right, Tiantai's emphasis on the Lotus Sutra influenced other schools of Buddhism.

Huayan (or Hua-Yen; Kegon in Japan) took shape under the guidance of its first three patriarchs: Tu-shun (557-640), Chih-yen (602-668) and Fa-tsang (or Fazang, 643-712). A large part of the teachings of this school were absorbed into Ch'an (Zen) during the T'ang Dynasty.

In a way this seems to have all been predicted of what is to becoming.

dsiluvu

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 02:56:49 PM »
China > Buddhism > Manjushri > Dorje Shugden... the connection and affinity is amazing!

Besides all the rich history and heritage of the how the roots of Buddhism began in China, we can also trace back historically, the Emperors of China especially of the Qing dynasty have promoted Tibetan Buddhism for the purpose of national unity and harmony. To that end, the Emperors established and cultivated a close relationship with Tibet, especially with the Dalai Lamas, Panchen Lamas and the Changkya Lamas (Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche’s previous incarnations) from the Gelugpa sect.

The Tibetans believe the emperors of China are emanations of Manjushri and it is no surprise that Dorje Shugden incarnated as the legendary Emperor Kangxi. It also continues to be a strong belief among the Tibetans that their own leader – the Dalai Lama – is an emanation of Chenrezig.
http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=12715

All the more I would rejoice if and when China become the fore front in bringing or reviving Buddhism back again and back to the world. I suppose at that time whatever "ban" there is would probably vanish in to thin air. Hence if Tibet was smart they should take heed and work with China not against if really cared about their people in China and wanted better welfare for them. 

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 05:34:51 PM »
Came across this article, it is old news 2.5 years back, but I am impressed. China is not only promoting Buddhism via highlighting Panchen Lama, they actually have laws and have been supporting monks financially! Do have a read below.

Tibetan Buddhists entitled to enjoy preferential policies by law 
www.chinaview.cn 

BEIJING, Dec. 28 (Xinhuanet) -- Tenbei Nyicho, a 70-year-old Tibetan, has lived in the Tar Monastery for 50 years. Whenever talking about medical insurance, he always says: "Good."

Earlier this year, he was covered by the national cooperative medical service and is now offered a monthly living subsidy of 200 yuan (about 30 U.S. dollars) by the government.

"At the beginning of my religious life in the monastery, I lived on the food sent by my home. I was often afraid to starve for food shortage. Now, I don't have to worry about such a terrible thing any more. Moreover, I can get my medical bills reimbursed as well," Tenbei said, adding, "What tremendous changes have taken place in my life!"

The Tar Monastery in Huangzhong County is one of the major Tibetan lamaseries in northwest China's Qinghai Province, which has six of China's ten Tibetan autonomous prefectures.

The province, the home to 600 lamaseries and 40,000 Tibetan Buddhist monks and nuns, formulated the Regulations on Religious Affairs and the Ordinance of the Tibetan Buddhist Affairs, respectively, earlier this year.

The ordinance stipulates that governments at all levels shall include construction of infrastructure in the sites for Tibetan Buddhist events such as water, electricity, and roads, into the overall plan for urban and rural development.

Meanwhile, it also specifies that Tibetan Buddhist clerical staffs are entitled to enjoy the rights related to their religion and to social insurance as well.

"The legislation of the ordinance protects legal religious activities and enables Buddhist believers to enjoy the same preferential policies as ordinary people," said Zhang Jipei, a leading official of the Committee of Foreign Affairs Concerning Ethnic Overseas Chinese of the Qinghai Provincial People's Congress.

"In the past, monks were neither like workers nor farmers, who could have their medical charges reimbursed. We seemed to be marginalized. Before turning to religion, we had a source of income from farmland. After becoming monks, however, we even were afraid to go to hospital because we could not afford medicines," said Gyaincain Ngaten, executive deputy director of the Tar Monastery Management Committee.

"Monasteries have now been in the best period of their development. Policies are being perfected and the policy governing the freedom of religious belief has been implemented to the letter," Gyaincain added.

All monks including lamas in the Tar Monastery have been covered by the new rural cooperative medical care system.

Now, all monks have been covered by the new rural cooperative medical care system. They have to pay 20 yuan (2.9 U.S dollars) only monthly per person and can have 60 percent of their medical expenses reimbursed.

"Moreover, great changes have also taken place in monasteries these years. On my first arrival at the monastery 20 years ago, monks used braziers for heating in winter and later used coal stoves. Now, household electric appliances including refrigerators, electric heaters and TV sets are in wide use here. Some monks even have computers," said Tenzin, director of the Security Office of the monastery.

An overall plan for the protection of cultural relics in the Tar Monastery began to be implemented in early December, including rebuilding and renovation of dilapidated houses. Eight million yuan has arrived to enhance security and fire control.

In addition, the government has installed 350 satellite receivers for free and equipped modern facilities for the monastery's Tibetan hospital, library and home for the aged.

"Today, we use computers in our management and we will launch our website in the near future," said Tenbei Junni, 39, director of the monastery's management office.