Author Topic: Unwavering Guru Devotion - Ajeka  (Read 17258 times)

shugdenpromoter

• Email
Unwavering Guru Devotion - Ajeka
« on: May 13, 2012, 05:12:41 PM »

For me, I always find it amazing and inspirational when I come across any stories about strong Guru Devotion. I would like to share with you the story of Ajeka.

Ajeka belongs to Sampheling Monastery in Chatreng. He is a lay person with a family. He should be in his 60s and he has devoted his whole life to the monastery. As most of us know, Sampheling Monastery is Trijang Rinpoche very own monastery.

Ajeka was a former County Head, and the former Minister of Transport in Chatreng. Despite being a layperson and having a family, Ajeka has also worked full-time for Sampheling for over 30 years without any salary. Ajeka himself does not even take any food from the monastery, he brings his own food everyday. 

As a student of the previous Trijang Rinpoche, Ajeka carries on his Teacher's work. He was entirely in charge of building the new Sampheling which houses the fantastic HUGE 33 meter Tsongkapa statue as you can see from the picture attached. Hand-built by devoted people of Chatreng, they have also offered their jewellery and other precious items to be inserted into this statue. Upon its completion, it will be the tallest Tsongkhapa statue in the world.

He oversaw everything from fundraising to the construction of building the new Sampheling Monastery including the statues.

During the construction of the new Sampheling, Ajeka on his own organised 2000+ volunteers on a daily basis to build statues and work in the monastery.

Ajeka is very highly respected in Chatreng, for his devotion to his Teacher, Protector and the Dharma. His dedication is so apparent through his works, and the way in which he has spent his whole life serving the Dharma. Ajeka is an inspiring example of a person who does not need to wear robes in order to command respect - in Chatreng, Ajeka is a layperson who is treated with the same respect as a high lama. The people are well aware of his devotion and dedication towards his Teacher.

kris

Re: Unwavering Guru Devotion - Ajeka
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 02:42:37 PM »
What Ajeka is doing is really amazing. Since his Guru (previous Trijang Rinpoche) has passed away, he continue to carry out the work for Guru joyfully. Not only that, he has not even met the current Trijang Rinpoche, and he never request to meet the current Trijang Rinpoche too.

If my Guru passed away, I think I am more likely to be lazy, lay back, and probably will only work hard a little bit when he comes back :P

By reading story like, I pray this will inspire some change in me to be more devoted and more hardworking.

hope rainbow

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 04:30:07 PM »
Ajeka is a very inspiring character. His devotion to his Guru is a rare achievement in this day and age and I look at him in awe and with an inspired mind.

His devotion, his actions, are like a teaching to me, certainly if only because it has the quality of leading by example.

When people like Ajeka show so much determination, so much stability, people are likely to assist him, to help him, because they are inspired, because they want to take part in this beautiful karmic energy that is created by the actions of Ajeka.

As a student myself, it shows that without high thrones, titles, robes etc... I can do a lot simply in showing the example and inspire others to at least help, at best do better than me even. And at the minimum to question themselves as to what the focus is in their pursuits.

RedLantern

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 12:03:57 AM »
I n  the lamrim the first meditation is the root of the path,how to devote to the virtuous friend.Proper devotion to the guru or virtuous friend is the root of all success,from success in this life up to Enlightenment just as the trunk,branches,leaves and fruits of a tree depend on it's roots.
Ajeka's  is a wise practitioner who knows to practise the Dharma skilfully,give full attention day and night to this point of correctly devoting his entire life to his monastery.An amazing and inspirational lay person who kept his vows even though his Guru has passed on.A shining example for people to emulate!

Dolce Vita

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 03:23:42 AM »
Ajeka's story is very inspiring. How a person can be so devotes to his guru who has already passed on and who's current life has not even been back to Chatreng. It must be something that touched his heart that he could do this with pleasure for so many decades. Most likely is his faith in Dharma and how his guru has benefitted him and he wants to repay his guru's kindness by safeguarding the Dharma. Apart from that, he is also creating a cause for his guru to come back to Chatreng.

I often ask myself if I would continue my spiritual practice if my guru is not here anymore. Then I think of how caring, how compassionate my guru is to me, how selfless my guru is, how he wants to benefit others so much, my answer is 'yes', I will continue and I must continue. It may not be easy, it may be tough but I will always remind myself why I want to walk on spiritual path, why I want to be my guru's student. Ajeka's story will always be on my mind, it's a reminder for me on how a student should be.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 05:32:17 AM »
Thank you shugdenpromoter for sharing this inspiring article with us. We have read about the pure devotion high lamas such as HH Trijang Rinpoche, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso and too many more, have for their teachers. This is the first article I have read about a lay person in this modern day and age practicing the thousands years tradition of guru devotion. You mentioned he brought his own food to work everyday when he was working in Sampheling monastery and he did not even take any salary. It really shows that he did not want anything in return, but to give his service and effort to the monastery of his beloved teacher who have passed away. All his effort is an example to the people around him and he has garnered so much respect and trust of the villagers that they too volunteered their services and precious items to successfully build the new monastery.

Q

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 08:13:27 AM »
Thank you for sharing this piece of information with us... it is truly inspiring to see such deep Guru devotion in a lay person at this time and age.

What Ajeka did is really amazing! But what touched me is his great devotion and dedication to his Guru, the previous Trijang Rinpoche. Although Ajeka have not seen his guru for many years as the previous Trijang Rinpoche entered clear light many years ago... and the current reincarnation is in the western world... being far away from his teacher never shook his devotion and continued to carry out his Guru's work in the region.

So inspiring... Ajeka's story should be read by all lay people that wishes to enter into a spiritual path. Just looking at how Ajeka live his life... it teaches us on keeping promises, integrity, dedication and honesty in practising the Dharma and serving out Guru.

DSFriend

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »
For many in the West, individualism is the focus. The focus is on "me first" then "I will be successful". We were taught to respect but often times it is highly conditional. If there's nothing we see we can benefit from or qualities that resonates with us then we find ourselves not respecting them as much.

The Buddhist philosophy teaches that all beings have the Buddha potential in all of us. Now just knowing this should make us take a step back in hurting each other and to have some respect that we all have something special in us, some good even though we may not immediately see those qualities.

Tibetan Buddhism takes this so much further that Guru Devotion becomes pinnacle in our practice for all that is good to arise, to be cultivated, to open up. We cultivate a mind to have high respect for our teacher, to see and meditate on the qualities of enlightenment in our teachers and never waver in serving our teachers.

There are not that many examples in the lay community embodying this quality compared to the ordained communities towards their Guru. Ajeka, a lay person, living in this day and age embodies this quality. Because of his Guru Devotion, eventhough his Guru is no longer with him, he remained steadfast and single minded in serving him. 

In serving his Guru, he has inspired 2000 people to use their lives for a higher cause to build holy images and monastery for many monks to live, study, debate, practice. If not because of Ajeka, these 2000 people and their families would most probably just live their whole lives taking care of their animals, their families, look for food, keep warm in the harsh weather because this is all that they know off. This example is not that different from ours in developed countries really.. where we spend our whole live taking care of our careers, families, pay crazy amount for good food, keep the peace by conforming to what society expects of a modern, successful, intelligent person. That's all fine but would be much better if whatever energy we have spent on is for a cause that will outlive us...positively.

This quality is beyond the respect that I grew up with. This devotion to his teacher did not cripple him but made him instead to be an extraordinary person.

shugdenpromoter

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 11:06:18 AM »
Pabongka Rinpoche was also a perfect example of guru devotion.

Pabongka Rinpoche often talked about his Guru, Dagpo Rinpoche even in all his teachings related to Yamantaka, Vajrayoigini, Lamrin, & etc.

When Pabongka Rinpoche was in the monastery, he was not very intelligent and other Geshe would often make fun of him. He was not an "A" Star Geshe quality.  He did complete his Geshe Degree but he reached the lowest level : "Lingse" rank.

Then after that everything changed as he met his ROOT GURU Dagpo Rinpoche who was rather an ordinary monk. This is when Pabongka Rinpoche started to changed. Pabongka Rinpoche was with Dagpo Rinpoche for 10 years, studying the Lamrin and also receiving Tantra teachings from his Guru.

You can read more about Pabongka Rinpoche on the article below.
Do read this as I learned so much from this short article.

http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=3965

And I strongly believe that it was the blessing of his Guru Devotion that he has reached that level.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 12:19:15 PM »
Wow! Ajeka alone arranged more than 2000 people to build the temple and the tallest Lama Tsongkapa statue everyday! This is an amazing feat. This shows really that he is very devoted to his guru, Kyabje Trijang Dorje Chang who has passed on. How many of us can really do this, even with our guru around us?

He does not receive teachings from his guru anymore but his trust and faith in his guru is undeniably strong. Imagine the amount of merits he and all the people of Chatreng has accumulated in their lives. This will definitely be ccarried on into their future lives where they will be reborn to be near the Dharma to continue their journey to liberation.

It is also his good karma to be able to serve his guru throughout his life. Ajeka is truly an inspiration to many.With his hardwork, and when the Lama Tsongkapa statue is completed, Sampheling Monastery will attract more people (practitioners or visitors) to come and the monastery will flourish. When the ban is lifted in a few years time, the statue will be ready! The timing is so right!

tsangpakarpo

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »
Thanks shugdenpromoter for sharing this amazing true story on Guru Devotion. Ajeka is a great example for all of us. A successful layperson dedicating his life to serve his Guru and the Dharma. What more he has not seen his Guru for the longest time.

I am really inspired by Ajeka. Giving up his high profile job to help manage the monastery, getting sponsorship, building and maintaining the monastery..How many of us would actually do that? Nowadays people don't even dare open their mouths to seek donations/sponsorship. They said they would lose face doing so..

But look at Ajeka! He is constantly raising funds to build the monastery, gathering over 2000 people to VOLUNTEER every day! Is he losing face or gaining respect? Do you think people would listen to him if they do not respect him? Thank again..the struggle and lost of face we face today is nothing if compared to Ajeka. I'm sure he has gone through the bad times as well getting rejected when seeking donations. But he did not give up! He worked hard. He showed everyone the true example of GURU DEVOTION.

It is really amazing to know about these kind of heroes. I feel very ashamed of myself...what have I contributed to my Guru and the spread of Dharma?

Tenzin K

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 12:38:22 PM »
Ajeka is so inspiring. Even though Trijang Rinpoche is no longer there but Ajeka still continue carries his teacher’s work. Single handed manage 2000+ workers for building the new Sampheling and fundraise himself, it’s not an easy task but Ajeka has been devoted all this while.

He is so incredible. Show us that a layman can be 100% devoted and do so much. He is truly giving and never takes from the monastery even food. He’s really highly respectable and a great example for many.

Thank you Ajeka for showing us what a lay person can do for dharma, for his Guru and for others.

Positive Change

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 01:11:31 PM »
Truly a remarkable story and most awe inspiring. Not only is his Guru devotion unwavering, his reverence and  respect for the sangha is also most commendable. What is more amazing is the fact that he is a lay person. Incredible.

The fact that Ajeka would bring his own food during construction as he did not want to use up sangha money in any way just shows one how sincere and dedicated he truly is!

All this from ONE man single handedly overseeing all aspects, from design, fund-raising, construction and manpower organization... No wonder he is truly respected within his community and I am pretty sure everyone else who comes across this story!

Rihanna

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 02:10:41 PM »
If you read any high lamas biography, they all have unwavering guru devotion and also continuosly mention about the greatness of their guru. Guru devotion is the foundation to all realization as clearly stated in the 50 Stanzas of Guru Devotion. What else more is there to say? Ajeka is exemplary in the practice of guru devotion. No titles, his guru has passed on, has not met his guru's present incarnation. All that keeps him going is sheer guru devotion, and the result is awe inspiring. The thought has arisen in my mind several times if I would take the easy way out if my guru whom i have promised a certain commitment has passed on. At this point of writting, I dont have a firm answer. 

valeriecheung

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 03:44:34 PM »
Ajeka true story is inspiring me wish to do more true meaningful things in future. In these days volunteering dharma work without paid is difficult, in addition bring own meal everyday refuse to spend sangha's fund. Ajeka only give never take anything from dharma.

His guru devotion make me speechless as a layman even his guru passed away long times still continue to maintain and to built biggest tsongkhapa statue in the world. This shown his compassion wish to benefit others is very strong.