Author Topic: Back to Basics  (Read 10974 times)

jessicajameson

• Email
Back to Basics
« on: June 10, 2012, 12:14:07 PM »
I was asked a very simple question last week, and failed to answer it. Someone asked, "What does Dorje Shugden's hat represent?". Despite a few thoughts running through my head, I did not know answer. How shameful to not know something so simple.

Most of us get caught up reading about the controversy, the politics, learning about different DS monasteries and the lamas who practice it - but we fail to understand the fundamental basics of Dorje Shugden himself. This goes for me, at least.

I have added a photo of Dorje Shugden below (taken from http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=4276). I thought that it would be a good way to learn about the different parts of Dorje Shugden together. I will start from label 1, and the next person can explain about label 2 etc. Please feel free to correct me, or to correct each other.

1. WISDOM FIRE
Symbolism: Dark wind-swept wisdom fire
Basic meaning: Fire emanates from the King Protector and burns up our obstacles and obscurations, arisen from negative karma.

My explanation
: There are many references to fire in Dorje Shugden's prayers. One of them is Dorje Shugden’s Kangsol, composed by Pabongka Dechen Nyingpo Rinpoche:

In the middle of a dark wind-swept wisdom fire, on lotus and sun, and an enemy-trampling, frightening, watchful lion is the supreme heart jewel of Dharma protectors, Dorje Shugden, the mighty King.”

The “dark wind-swept wisdom fire” emanates directly from each pore of Dorje Shugden’s body. It is a manifestation of Dorje Shugden’s bodhichitta, or great compassion, and it is said to burn through our obstacles and mental obscurations which have arisen from our negative karma. The closer we get to Dorje Shugden, the more Dorje Shugden’s flames will consume whatever keeps us away from the path to enlightenment.

For all 5 forms of Dorje Shugden, they are portrayed with a blazing fire surrounding them. Dorje Shugden operates from compassion, and His "job" is (He arose as an enlightened protector) to protect the teachings of Je Tsongkhapa. For those who propitiate Him, He will help to remove our worldly obstacles in order to help us to do more in the Dharma.

If we truly trust Dorje Shugden, He will help in HIS way. For example, if I are in a terrible marriage and is praying for help - He may not help me in MY way, i.e. to revive my marriage. He may foresee that if the marriage does work, I will be pulled away from the Dharma, have 10 kids and die an untimely death. Just an example.

What we may ask of Dorje Shugden for help to clear short-term obstacle for our happiness, may be our long-term suffering.

Do we have full faith in Dorje Shugden's burning wisdom fire?

More reference to the wisdom fire in Dorje Shugden prayers:
- http://www.shugdentoday.com/?page_id=2226
- http://www.shugdentoday.com/?page_id=346
- http://www.shugdentoday.com/?page_id=2539

DharmaDefender

Re: Back to Basics
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:09:57 PM »
I was asked a very simple question last week, and failed to answer it. Someone asked, "What does Dorje Shugden's hat represent?". Despite a few thoughts running through my head, I did not know answer. How shameful to not know something so simple.

Most of us get caught up reading about the controversy, the politics, learning about different DS monasteries and the lamas who practice it - but we fail to understand the fundamental basics of Dorje Shugden himself. This goes for me, at least.

I have added a photo of Dorje Shugden below (taken from http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=4276). I thought that it would be a good way to learn about the different parts of Dorje Shugden together. I will start from label 1, and the next person can explain about label 2 etc. Please feel free to correct me, or to correct each other.

1. WISDOM FIRE
Symbolism: Dark wind-swept wisdom fire
Basic meaning: Fire emanates from the King Protector and burns up our obstacles and obscurations, arisen from negative karma.

My explanation
: There are many references to fire in Dorje Shugden's prayers. One of them is Dorje Shugden’s Kangsol, composed by Pabongka Dechen Nyingpo Rinpoche:

In the middle of a dark wind-swept wisdom fire, on lotus and sun, and an enemy-trampling, frightening, watchful lion is the supreme heart jewel of Dharma protectors, Dorje Shugden, the mighty King.”

The “dark wind-swept wisdom fire” emanates directly from each pore of Dorje Shugden’s body. It is a manifestation of Dorje Shugden’s bodhichitta, or great compassion, and it is said to burn through our obstacles and mental obscurations which have arisen from our negative karma. The closer we get to Dorje Shugden, the more Dorje Shugden’s flames will consume whatever keeps us away from the path to enlightenment.

For all 5 forms of Dorje Shugden, they are portrayed with a blazing fire surrounding them. Dorje Shugden operates from compassion, and His "job" is (He arose as an enlightened protector) to protect the teachings of Je Tsongkhapa. For those who propitiate Him, He will help to remove our worldly obstacles in order to help us to do more in the Dharma.

If we truly trust Dorje Shugden, He will help in HIS way. For example, if I are in a terrible marriage and is praying for help - He may not help me in MY way, i.e. to revive my marriage. He may foresee that if the marriage does work, I will be pulled away from the Dharma, have 10 kids and die an untimely death. Just an example.

What we may ask of Dorje Shugden for help to clear short-term obstacle for our happiness, may be our long-term suffering.

Do we have full faith in Dorje Shugden's burning wisdom fire?

More reference to the wisdom fire in Dorje Shugden prayers:
- http://www.shugdentoday.com/?page_id=2226
- http://www.shugdentoday.com/?page_id=346
- http://www.shugdentoday.com/?page_id=2539

Ill do #3 love give me a minute...

Rihanna

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:24:38 PM »
Dear Jessica, in short, the round yellow hat that Dorje Shugden wears represents the view of Nagarjuna on emptiness. Nagarjuna's primary contribution to Buddhist philosophy is in the use of the concept of ??nyat?, or "emptiness," which is no-self and dependent origination.  They are empty of being independently existent. Another explanation is that this is a Rinpoche's hat that high lamas in ancient times, don on when they travel. So, it symbolises that Dorje Shugden 'travels widely' to help.

DharmaDefender

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 01:30:49 PM »
Feel free to add and comment, I may just be pulling a bunch of big words out of my arse!

3. SUN DISC
Symbolism: Realisation of emptiness
Basic meaning: He has realised all phenomena is empty of an inherent existence, and therefore does not suffer from the same mental afflictions we have, which stop us from real Dharma practice to benefit others

My explanation: Okay here goes nothing...

Following the invocation, with the snow lion "trampling enemies on a lotus and sun", it shows Dorje Shugden is destroying his ignorance by realising emptiness (and the lotus being the symbol for compassion - he has achieved both realisation of emptiness and compassion in order to become fully enlightened).

But related to the realisation of emptiness, he has realised that all phenomena is empty of an inherent existence. If there is no inherent existence and nothing is permanent, then theres no point in being attached to anything, believing it to be permanent.

Since theres no point in being attached to anything, that means theres no point of being attached TO and suffering FROM the same mental afflictions that plague the rest of us - our fears of doing more for others, our fear of failure, our fear of death, our fear of a bad rebirth, our defensive, our egos, our projections and expectations of others.

Essentially, because he has realised emptiness, he has no restrictions or limitations to the help he can give us... just like the enlightened being that he is.

Manjushri

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 01:31:01 PM »
I agree with you, Jessica. Thank you for this. I'm going to do Number 2

2. LOTUS

Sitting on the lotus signifies that all of Dorje Shugden's action arises out of great compassion. Like all other Buddhas who sits on lotuses, it signifies that Dorje Shugden is an enlightened Buddha, who acts for the benefit of others. Compassion arises from selflessness, shunning all attachments intended to benefit oneself, for the benefit of all beings who are suffering in samsara.

More about the lotus:
The lotus is also one of the symbols of the 8 auspicious signs. Also representing mental and spiritual purity, the roots of a lotus are in the mud, the stem grows up through the water, and the heavily scented flower lies pristinely above the water, basking in the sunlight. This pattern of growth signifies the progress of the soul from the primeval mud of materialism, through the waters of experience, and into the bright sunshine of enlightenment.

Though there are other water plants that bloom above the water, it is only the lotus which, owing to the strength of its stem, regularly rises eight to twelve inches above the surface.

According to the Lalitavistara, "the spirit of the best of men is spotless, like the lotus in the muddy water which does not adhere to it."

According to another scholar, "in esoteric Buddhism, the heart of the beings is like an unopened lotus: when the virtues of the Buddha develop therein, the lotus blossoms; that is why the Buddha sits on a lotus bloom."

Every important Buddhist deity is associated in some manner with the lotus, either being seated upon a lotus in full bloom or holding one in their hands. In some images of standing Buddhas, each foot rests on a separate lotus.

The color of the lotus is also important, each symbolic of:

•White Lotus: This represents the state of spiritual perfection and total mental purity (bodhi). It is associated with the White Tara and proclaims her perfect nature, a quality which is reinforced by the color of her body.

•Pink Lotus: This the supreme lotus, generally reserved for the highest deity. Thus naturally it is associated with the Great Buddha himself.

•Red Lotus: This signifies the original nature and purity of the heart (hrdya). It is the lotus of love, compassion, passion and all other qualities of the heart. It is the flower of Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva of compassion.

•Blue Lotus: This is a symbol of the victory of the spirit over the senses, and signifies the wisdom of knowledge. Not surprisingly, it is the preferred flower of Manjushri, the bodhisattva of wisdom.

tsangpakarpo

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »
Hey guys this is cool! Thanks for sharing all the info.

For those interested can also go to this link: http://dorjeshugden.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=774&Itemid=24

These are short explanations of Dorje Shugden's iconography. I'm sure we will all learn more along the way!

Positive Change

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 01:44:29 PM »
2. THE LOTUS

Symbolism:

Just like the lotus blossoming out of murky waters... we are able to emerge from Samsara (murky waters) and blossom (enlightenment) through the Buddhist path.

Basic meaning:

A. The lotus flower represents one symbol of fortune in Buddhism. It grows in muddy water, and it is this environment that gives forth the flower’s first and most literal meaning: rising and blooming above the murk to achieve enlightenment.

B. The second meaning, which is related to the first is purification. It resembles the purifying of the spirit which is born into murkiness.

C.The third meaning refers to faithfulness. Those who are working to rise above the muddy waters will need to be faithful followers.

The color bears importance in the meaning of the lotus flower in Buddhism:

A. A white lotus flower refers to purity of the mind and the spirit.

B. A red lotus flower refers to compassion and love.

C. A blue lotus flower refers to the common sense; it uses wisdom and logic to create enlightenment.

D. A pink lotus flower represents the history of Buddha and the historical legends of the Buddha.

E. A purple lotus flower speaks of spirituality and mysticism.

F. A gold lotus flower represents all achievement of all enlightenment, especially in the Buddha.

The stage of growth the lotus flower is in represents a different stage of enlightenment:

A. A closed lotus flower represents the time before a Buddhist follower found Buddha or enlightenment.

B. A lotus flower fully bloomed and open represents full enlightenment and self-awareness.

The mud represents an importance in the meaning of the lotus flower in Buddhism. All humans are born in a world where there is suffering. This suffering is a vital part of the human experience; it makes us stronger and teaches us to resist the temptation of evil. When we banish evil thoughts from our mind we are able to break free of the muddy water and become one with the Buddha. The mud shows us who we are and teaches us to choose the right path over the easy one.

Finally, the lotus flower represents rebirth, both in a figurative and a literal sense. The rebirth can be a change of ideas, an acceptance of Buddha where there once was none, the dawn after one’s darkest day, a renaissance of beliefs or the ability to see past wrongs. In a literal sense, the meaning of the lotus flower in Buddhism represents rebirth as a reincarnation, such as in the Buddhist religion, when a soul leaves this world in its present form to be reborn in another.

Big Uncle

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 01:58:25 PM »
Wow! I loved being reminded of what a sublime being that Dorje Shugden is. He is amazing for appearing in a way that reminds us of the highest and most profound teaching that the historical Buddha had left us. This is the very teaching that will free our minds from the limitations of dualistic thoughts and the grasping at conventional labels that so often characterizes our limited happiness and sufferings.

I have heard this word Shunyata/ emptiness so many times but I honestly still fail to fully grasp the full implications of this profound word that describes the Lama Tsongkhapa's/ Nagarjuna's/ Buddha's view of reality. To me, this shows how deep-seated is my ignorance and how fortunate that I have even the slightest affinity to be worshipping the Dharma Protector that not only embodies this teaching but also reveals what he is safeguarding and what he wishes for all who takes refuge under him. Since, he is not only guarding the physical external teachings and lineage-holders, he is also safe guarding our path towards the complete realisation of emptiness. I offer the highest praise for such a Dharma Protector for where he can lead us to. Nothing is more sublime!

Aurore

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 03:15:38 PM »
9. WISDOM SWORD

Symbolism: The meandering wisdom sword of Dorje Shugden is similar to the one Manjushri wields. It cuts through delusions, which keep us from perceiving reality for what it really is.

Basic meaning: The wisdom sword teaches us to sever ignorance, the root of samsara, with the sharp blade of Nagarjuna's view. The sword held by Dorje Shugden symbolizes the power of spiritual wisdom to cut these harmful minds at their root. It is the essence of all the stages of the profound path of Sutra and Tantra. Because he is the nature of Enlightened wisdom, he helps us to identify, reduce, and eventually eradicate our harmful states of mind such as anger, pride, jealousy, desirous attachment, and ignorance.

My explanation:
Our minds are the real enemy and our only enemies. The cause of all the sufferings that we experience in ourselves and along with that, bring these sufferings to many others is caused by this inner enemies of ours. With Dorje Shugden's practice, we are able to reduce these negative qualities of ours which is ultimately our downfall using the method of spiritual wisdom. Dorje Shugden has that power to do that. Just like a father who cares for us unconditionally, he constantly reminds us of these qualities we need to cut and eliminate so that we will have clarity of the mind to be able to free ourselves from this deluded life called samsara.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 04:29:52 PM »
I have a question tho. Manjushri's wisdom sword is straight, while Dorje Shugden's sword is crooked. Why is this so? is there an additional meaning to this?

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 05:13:10 PM »
I have a question tho. Manjushri's wisdom sword is straight, while Dorje Shugden's sword is crooked. Why is this so? is there an additional meaning to this?

Good question Ensapa. I cannot confirm if it is correct but I have read that Dorje Shugden's sword is wavy to symbolize the skillful means in his practice that serves to sever our delusions. It has also been suggested that a wavy sword has more utilizations i.e. for chopping as well as cutting. This again serves to reinforce the idea of Dorje Shugden's dharma covering a wider scope and having application in more diverse conditions. My interpretation is that during the degenerate times, the Buddha needs to infiltrate us with more than just a straight forward teaching, as there are more obstacles between us and the dharma.

Dorje Shugden's sword is closest in appearance to the 'Kris' which is indigenous to Southern Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, Thailand and Singapore. Legend has it that the Kris contains talismanic powers and the more wavy a Kris is, the more powerful the magic is. How this may apply to Dorje Shugden's sword is something I have no answers to other than a reiteration of what I have written.

Does anyone have other answers or more correct ones, or even hypothesis?

dsiluvu

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »
12. Wearing shoes (tiger skin boots)

Symbolism: Wearing shoes (tiger skin boots) shows that he appears in the disguise of a worldly god.

Basic meaning:
This means that although he is a fully enlightened being, he has closer karmic affinity to all ordinary beings and thus manifests in a form that is “closer” to us. He is therefore also “easier” to propitiate than other transcendent Protectors such as Kalarupa and comes to our aid very swiftly.

My explanation:
Because we constantly bombarded by our negative karma which is so overwhelming during this degenerate age, we need a swift and powerful protector that can handle it. A protector who is so close to us and can quickly come to our aid and guide us out of our suffering. Dorje Shugden wears boots (shoes) also to remind us that He is here with us in "samsara", looking out for us, this is his great Bodhicitta and great love for us like a father for his only child. Dorje Shugden may be efficacious in granting our wishes or is quick to help us solve that huge problem but ultimately He will guide us on to the Enlightened path as that is his main goal for us until we achieve Bodhicitta.   

negra orquida

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 04:27:31 PM »

Good question Ensapa. I cannot confirm if it is correct but I have read that Dorje Shugden's sword is wavy to symbolize the skillful means in his practice that serves to sever our delusions. It has also been suggested that a wavy sword has more utilizations i.e. for chopping as well as cutting. This again serves to reinforce the idea of Dorje Shugden's dharma covering a wider scope and having application in more diverse conditions. My interpretation is that during the degenerate times, the Buddha needs to infiltrate us with more than just a straight forward teaching, as there are more obstacles between us and the dharma.

Dorje Shugden's sword is closest in appearance to the 'Kris' which is indigenous to Southern Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, Thailand and Singapore. Legend has it that the Kris contains talismanic powers and the more wavy a Kris is, the more powerful the magic is. How this may apply to Dorje Shugden's sword is something I have no answers to other than a reiteration of what I have written.

This question was raised in an earlier thread here http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=733.msg7213#msg7213

In that thread, some people said it represents skillful means, and that the "kris" design of the sword is more lethal thus represents that Dorje Shugden's wisdom is more penetrating.

I have some questions...  Why is it important for us to know the symbology of thangkas / Buddha images? How does this help in our Dharma practice / knowledge? Does knowing the parts of a car mean we will be able to drive the car well?

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 01:45:53 AM »
In my opinion, it is important to know the symbology of thangkas/ Buddha images because those are points that we should meditate on when propitiating the deity - the qualities of a Buddha and the wish in us that we too will achieve this quality in the future. This is important so that it doesn't become idol-worshipping or reliance upon a God to grant something to us.

I will share what I know about no. 4 Snow Lion

“In the middle of a dark wind-swept wisdom fire, on lotus and sun, and an enemy-trampling, frightening, watchful lion is the supreme heart jewel of Dharma protectors, Dorje Shugden, the mighty King. ”

The Snow Lion symbolises fearlessness that arises upon victory over ignorance, attachment and hatred. It tramples the enemies - the afflictive emotions arising from self-grasping and self-cherishing. As explained by Dharma Defender earlier, the lion tramples them into the sun disc, which means he destroys ignorance (self-grasping) by means of realizing emptiness, which frees from self-grasping.

The lion is frightening, from our side because ego fears nothing more than confrontation with truth, from his side because wrath is quick and powerful.

In general, the snow lion with a turquoise mane is the presiding local deity of Tibet's snow mountain ranges and it is Tibet's national animal emblem. You can see it on Tibet's national flag, its government seals, coins, banknotes and stamps, and also on the insignia of the Dalai Lama. Often, we see a pair of snow lions playfully depicted on a snow-capped mountain peak in thangkas.

Once, Milarepa had a prophetic dream that included the snow lion. His guru Marpa interpreted this dream and explained that the luxuriant mane shows how he is adorned with the esoteric teachings and the lion's four paws represent the four immeasurable.

brian

• Email
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 07:00:50 AM »

I can confirm that the crooked sword symbolizes that Dorje Shugden's sword is to cut our ignorance and also brings a meaning of reaching/helping us with skillful methods. The word skillful methods here can be described as the many ways that Dorje Shugden will use to penetrate our deluded minds and many ways to help us. This also shows that Dorje Shugden is very very useful in this time of degeneration.

It is always very useful for us to do revision on the iconography of our protector as these knowledge are essential for people to understand and worship correctly.