Author Topic: Dalai Lama says it is important to show respect to other religion  (Read 9651 times)

dsiluvu

"I have always felt it important to show my respect to other religions, such as Christianity, Hinduism, Jainism, Islam, Judaism, Sikhism, and so on." - His Holiness Dalai Lama

Then why is it not important for Dorje Shugden practitioner You Holiness??? Here in this picture you can see HHDL is so easy and comfortable and humbling doing Muslim prayers together with Muslim.

But why is it so different for us? Why are we just an outcast? Isn't Buddhism about loving kindness, forgiving and compassion?

Tenzin Malgyur

Re: Dalai Lama says it is important to show respect to other religion
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 07:48:43 AM »

"I have always felt it important to show my respect to other religions, such as Christianity, Hinduism, Jainism, Islam, Judaism, Sikhism, and so on." - His Holiness Dalai Lama

Dear Your Holiness Dalai Lama, you are so wise and compassionate to quote the above. I wish you could say the same thing for my religion too. My religion is Tibetan Buddhism-Gelugpa school and Dorje Shugden is the protector of our lineage. Our practitioners have been side-lined and ostracized in Tibet, India and some other countries. Some of them have been denied treatments at hospitals, some can't buy their daily needs from shops and many have been disowned by their own families. We have lost so much more than respect. Please tell them with words from your holy mouth to treat us Dorje Shugden practitioners as they would treat people of other religion.

Big Uncle

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 11:29:39 AM »
Such quotes from the Dalai Lama always gets me to ponder why would the Dalai Lama say such a thing and advocate the ban on Dorje Shugden? Why the contradiction for someone who is so esteemed in Buddhism and in debate, he seemed so blatantly obvious that what he is saying doesn't really make sense.

It just doesn't make sense to me and I think there must be something else and thanks to the bigger picture, it is finally clear to me that the Dalai Lama is orchestrating something much bigger than what meets the eye. It is pretty clear that the Chinese favor the Dorje Shugden practitioners in China with the approval for large monasteries of Dorje Shugden are allowed to be built and statues of Dorje Shugden that are previous vandalized are quickly restored by the local authorities. Could this be the intention of the Dalai Lama? I cannot say this for sure but that seemed to be the result of the ban. Some of the biggest growth of Dorje Shugden monasteries and institutions is happening in China right now.

If it is like that, how long would the ban last? I have no idea but someone in this forum did mention that a Lama revealed that it would be another 4-5 years. Before that happens, we should all do our part in spreading and making sure that the truth of Dorje Shugden goes out there.

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 01:29:27 PM »
With folded hands, HH DL as a Tibetan Buddhist practitioner i am so fortunate to be able to witness this historical picture of Dalai Lama visiting various places of other religions. Clearly HH Dalai Lama is setting an example to the world that we should not use religion or believes as an excuse for for us not to be living in harmony. It is a wise moved by HH Dalai Lama, hopefully it'll create a course for other religious leader to do so in the near future.

Positive Change

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 01:42:47 PM »
Well firstly, let’s not always take something good and turn it around and make it look bad or serve our own so called cause. What HHDL is doing is very admirable! I mean seriously, I had to do a double take to find where HHDL was. My eye first went the monk at the back of HHDL and I went “hang on, that is not HHDL”, a split second later I realized HHDL was the one actually seated in a manner which muslims would sit, complete with hand gesture of prayer and wearing a shawl and a taqiyah.

The respect HHDL is giving to other faiths and in particular from the picture, the muslim faith is truly something to be proud of. HHDL is showing by example how we should respect our fellow man regardless of faith and beliefs. We should be rejoicing in the similarities of our respective faiths and beliefs and not pointing out and degrading the differences.

Now, back to the issue of the Dorje Shugden ban… yes it is unfortunate that one chooses to see the disparity or double standards. Yes I believe we choose to see it as such. Why can’t we think beyond and contemplate that perhaps the ban is for a bigger or higher purpose. Sure there is suffering, there is hurt, but tell me where in samsara is there not? And if this so called “suffering and hurt” is the result of the actions of a living Buddha (in this case an emanation of Chenrezig), should we not fold our hands and say, “I may not understand the reason or methods but I trust in the results your HHDL”. Just a thought on how perhaps we need to look beyond or step aside from our perceptions.

In the picture above, HHDL is clearly doing just that… why can’t we?

dsiluvu

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »
Ok Guys... well lets look at it from another angle  :)

So maybe doing all this... praying with other faiths and other religions is giving out the message to his own people - the anti-shugdenpas a message??? A subtle yet blatant clue that even though you do not practice the same Protector as the Gelugpas, you can still eat, sit and join their prayers? Because we're all grown ups and we are loyal towards our own lineage, our own Guru and our own practice. Hence no point throwing rocks at each other. There are much much more bigger issues then this BAN in the world, we really do not need this unnecessary suffering.

Now that His Holiness has retired from the politic field... it is really up to CTA. They have the power to change and re-implement new democratic policies... if they don't know they can ask their many democratic friends in USA. They have FREEDOM OF RELIGION & SPEECH ;) Maybe His Holiness is giving CTA this opportunity to make some changes. C'mon, lets see something different Mr. Lobsang Sangay?!

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 05:17:39 AM »
If His Holiness and the CTA is serious in promoting democracy, why not get the Tibetans to vote whether there should be a ban on the practice of Dorje Shugden?

Why not get the monasteries and head of the various schools of Tibetan Buddhism to vote? And by that I don't mean when the monks were made to select either a yellow stick or a red stick and get thrown out if they choose the red stick.

The ban was conducted in a manner the Tibetans call "get a decision by a single stroke of the sword". Meaning, it is one person deciding for hundreds, by use of power, without even the slightest prior discussion with the involved. Hence the ban not only contradict with any fundamental system of democracy, but they also disregard the basic human right of freedom of speech.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 06:50:49 AM »
HH the Dalai Lama has always been consistent about embracing all faiths. In that, he is the supreme spiritual politican – always politically correct. So why, as some have said, is he inconsistent on this one issue – Dorje Shugden?

The forced vote was definitely not democratic but the result of the vote was the manifestation of Shar Gaden and Serpom monasteries. These two institutions ARE Dorje Shugden institutions and their growth shows that Dorje Shugden practice is definitely not something that will be fading anytime soon.

If the vote had been democratic, Dorje Shugden may have continued in Gaden and other Gelugpa monasteries but it would have stopped there. The world at large would NOT have heard or continue to hear about Dorje Shugden. Thus, it is logical to me to believe that HH Dalai Lama does NOT intend to shut Dorje Shugden practitioners up. In fact, by his insisting on the ban, he is giving us a platform to promote Dorje Shugden.

What is the easiest way to promote something? Ban it. Salman Rushdie’s Satanic Verses created an uproar and in doing so, made it a best seller. I heard that banned songs, like Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s “Relax” song in the 80s, made it a chart topper. And that is what I know from homeground, i.e.. here in UK. I’m sure there are instances round the world also.

Therefore, I do think that HH Dalai Lama’s stance is consistent in that he wishes to benefit as many people as possible. The ban is one of the things he has implemented to carry out the same purpose. Of course it is difficult for those who are suffering under the ban, but as was said earlier, if the ban will be lifted or fade away in a few years time, the result will be a fantastic practice which will be well known on a global level.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

diamond girl

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 11:01:10 AM »
Well said Wisdom Being! Kudos to you.

We can focus on the Ban and also continue to question the DL's actions... But this forum has shown and spoken till the point of obvious clarity that the Ban is manipulated and constructed to keep this DS practice alive and growing. So full stop with this and let us discuss how we can work towards lifting this Ban.

This website has so many materials which can be used to be circulated and promote DS... What have you done about this? What other ideas do we have? What other methods can we adopt to bring more people to this website and forum?

To lift this Ban is not longer to focus on HHDL... Time to say, "What Can WE do?"

Tammy

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 11:07:45 AM »

Then why is it not important for Dorje Shugden practitioner You Holiness??? Here in this picture you can see HHDL is so easy and comfortable and humbling doing Muslim prayers together with Muslim.

But why is it so different for us? Why are we just an outcast? Isn't Buddhism about loving kindness, forgiving and compassion?

LOL I would LOVE to know what HHDL have to say to this ! And I am sure he would have valid Explanation to what he is doing and what he allows to happen right in front of his own two eyes.

Down with the BAN!!!

Barzin

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 11:42:27 AM »
I have no doubt in His Holiness, doing things that contradict our views is part of the learning in Buddhism.  What we are perceiving now might not be what we think it is, so I would rather trust in His Holiness in his way of spreading dharma.  It is easier for his caliber to announce one day, yes he made a mistake and there is no wrong to practice Dorje Shugden but at that time people might question then what about the sufferings that the ban brought upon people?  I have no intelligent to answer that but at that time His Holiness will suffer the same, criticism, harsh words, complains or maybe people losing faith in him...  If you think about it, he will suffer more than we do, this is how a Bodhisattva can endure for people just to benefit them.

His Holiness is all about love and compassion, so does Dorje Shugden.  If i may say, none of them need to prove themselves but it is actually us that needs to prove ourselves that dharma indeed will benefit and a religion of love and compassion.

dsiluvu

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 11:55:26 AM »
The forced vote was definitely not democratic but the result of the vote was the manifestation of Shar Gaden and Serpom monasteries. These two institutions ARE Dorje Shugden institutions and their growth shows that Dorje Shugden practice is definitely not something that will be fading anytime soon.

If the vote had been democratic, Dorje Shugden may have continued in Gaden and other Gelugpa monasteries but it would have stopped there. The world at large would NOT have heard or continue to hear about Dorje Shugden. Thus, it is logical to me to believe that HH Dalai Lama does NOT intend to shut Dorje Shugden practitioners up. In fact, by his insisting on the ban, he is giving us a platform to promote Dorje Shugden.

Perhaps so that is why we see so much interesting opinions about this ban here. Certainly was a calculated and premeditated decision I believe from someone we believe is Chenrezig. Most often we forget that. The suffering of a few thousand, though very heart breaking far supersedes the billions Dorje Shugden could be helping. And hence this Ban. And what a great illusory play... though some may still speculate based on evidence in front of their eyes... what you see is what it is.

Well this website and forum has surely acted as a great platform of non-biased discussion and education. One thing is for sure... the many available FREE MATERIALS created here for us to distribute, give to friends and use to re-educate the masses. My favourite one of all is First Ever Dorje Shugden Graphic Novel in the World!http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?page_id=9832/

Why because really not many who are new to Buddhism are even aware of this Ban and the controversy... it is better to share with the benefits of Dorje Shugden and who he is. Any religion that is openly accepted and has become main stream now all started with a simple story...

Positive Change

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 12:16:21 PM »
HH the Dalai Lama has always been consistent about embracing all faiths. In that, he is the supreme spiritual politican – always politically correct. So why, as some have said, is he inconsistent on this one issue – Dorje Shugden?

What is the easiest way to promote something? Ban it. Salman Rushdie’s Satanic Verses created an uproar and in doing so, made it a best seller. I heard that banned songs, like Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s “Relax” song in the 80s, made it a chart topper. And that is what I know from homeground, i.e.. here in UK. I’m sure there are instances round the world also.

Therefore, I do think that HH Dalai Lama’s stance is consistent in that he wishes to benefit as many people as possible. The ban is one of the things he has implemented to carry out the same purpose. Of course it is difficult for those who are suffering under the ban, but as was said earlier, if the ban will be lifted or fade away in a few years time, the result will be a fantastic practice which will be well known on a global level.

Precisely my train of thought WisdomBeing... I have always said that the ban in itself is a skillful method to spread Dorje Shugden in the 10 directions. I mentioned this in another thread whereby, I mentioned, can we magine if there was NO ban? And that Dorje Shugden was still very much a practice HHDL encouraged and promoted OUTWARDLY. We in the west would certainly not hear about this practice let alone be exposed to it.

We would certainly see very very different results or non-results rather compared to now. I believe strongly, the ban was and is the catalyst for Dorje Shugden to spread INTO China. Imagine the millions that has, is and going to be benefited. The ban has made Dorje Shugden press worthy and a tool China strongly believes that will help in bringing down HHDL. How far from the truth that is but then again, when we feed the delusions of people with what they want to hear, anything is possible... for what is ultimately the truth?

Look at the actions of HHDL... look at this motivation behind every single thing HHDL does. Look example of compassion and tolerance in the article on this tread. And all we need to do is look beyond our shrouded vision...

tsangpakarpo

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 12:46:48 PM »
I take this as another skillful way of the Dalai Lama. To show the world he respects all other religions BUT not a practice of a particular 'spirit' in Buddhism.

Very logically, when others find it curious why the Dalai Lama is so against Dorje Shugden's practice, they will want to explore and understand better. This is another way of spreading the practice. Imagine reporters researching and writing about this issue. Yes some articles may come out negative but negativity sells too. It is really how we look at it.

Just like how the Chinese hates the Dalai Lama but the rest of the world adores him! Can be the same for Dorje Shugden too. And with China's political influence, the Dalai Lama is restricted to a number of places simply because China is a growing force and not many countries dare turn tables against them. CHINA is definitely the KEY to the spread of Dorje Shugden's practice.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 01:59:24 PM »
I have always believed that HHDL is a world class public relations supremo and a strategist at the international level and like all statesmen the Dalai Lama does not work alone and even if he did "miscalculate" his strategy, he would have been corrected by a capable team. Thus, it is unimaginable that HHDL would go out and make contradictory statements that can only serve to undermine his credibility.

When you look at it carefully, the Dalai Lama has made no concerted approach towards mending relations with China. As a matter of fact, setting himself up as China's "public enemy" is the "incentive" for China to support anything that seem to be going against the Dalai Lama.

The ban without a doubt placed Dorje Shiugden in the international stage.

And now by openly promoting acceptance of all religion, HHDL is overtly sending out a public message for people  to question his policy on the ban. Whether you find that his stance on world religion challenges his ban of Dorje Shugden, or you take this to mean that we should look deeper into a subtle meaning, the outcome is good for the Shugden practice.

HHDL's ban has been the most effective move to get Dorje Shugden's name out in the international. By now telling the worl