Author Topic: His Holiness the Dalai Lama Meets British Royal Family  (Read 8690 times)

Positive Change

His Holiness the Dalai Lama Meets British Royal Family
« on: June 23, 2012, 01:43:50 PM »
The spiritual leader of Tibet, His Holiness the Dalai Lama, on his 10 day trip to Britain met Prince Charles and his wife Camilla. The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall welcomed His Holinesss the Dalai Lama at Clarence House. The meeting was an informal one full of jokes and genuine warmth.
His Holiness sang praises of Prince Charles who he had met four years earlier; 'I always consider him a very close, best of friends. Right from the beginning, I felt "very nice person, good human". He (has) proved a very wonderful, sensible, good human being.'

While welcoming the Tibetan spiritual leader, Charles I said to have thrown up his arms, and then placed his hands together in a prayer sign before hugging the His Holiness and sharing a few words with him.

Waiting next to the Prince was his wife Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall who kissed the exiled Buddhist leader before the group moved into the house's garden room for their informal chat.

While the details of their talk have not been released, it is likely they discussed the latest situation in Tibet and other spiritual matters.

The trio walked around the Clarence House gardens and met around 80 of Charles' household staff who gathered to see His Holiness.

Before leaving he touched foreheads with Camilla. Charles again clasped his hands in front of himself before the royal couple waved the spiritual leader off.

The Tibetan spiritual leader is on a 10-day tour of Britain where he is giving public talks. Before meeting the Prince, the Dalai Lama addressed representatives of different religions at Westminster Abbey. According to the BBC, the 76-year old urged the spiritual leaders to "work together to serve humanity".

"I am quite sure that religions still have an important role to make a better humanity," he had said.

The day earlier, he met Aung San Suu Kyi, the Burmese leader who had spent two decades under house arrest.  Since her internal exile she has campaigned for a democratic Burma and on April 1st of this year was able to successfully win a seat in the lower house of the Burmese parliament.

icy

Re: His Holiness the Dalai Lama Meets British Royal Family
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 03:22:13 AM »
Shall I leave you two chaps to it then? Duchess of Cornwall on the sidelines as the Dalai Lama chats and hold hands with his ‘best friend’ Prince Charles

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2162305/Shall-I-leave-chaps-Duchess-Cornwall-sidelines-Dalai-Lama-chats-hold-hands-best-friend-Prince-Charles.html#ixzz1yg3GQmfH

Carpenter

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 09:32:21 AM »
Whether you are from royal family or an ordinary person, in spiritual, there is no difference.
In Buddhism, everything based on life being, it talks about logic and to be a better person, this definitely suitable and applies to everyone, that’s why wherever Buddhism go, people would not reject.

Look at Prince Charles, he is not guard against Dalai Lama, because he knows who Dalai Lama is and he never has any intention of harm. A spiritual leader will only be here to help, whatever they do, as a normal person, we may not see the purpose, but it is definitely be good for us. I love this picture so much, a spiritual leader meeting with a secular leader.

Positive Change

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 10:04:52 AM »
Whether you are from royal family or an ordinary person, in spiritual, there is no difference.
In Buddhism, everything based on life being, it talks about logic and to be a better person, this definitely suitable and applies to everyone, that’s why wherever Buddhism go, people would not reject.

Look at Prince Charles, he is not guard against Dalai Lama, because he knows who Dalai Lama is and he never has any intention of harm. A spiritual leader will only be here to help, whatever they do, as a normal person, we may not see the purpose, but it is definitely be good for us. I love this picture so much, a spiritual leader meeting with a secular leader.

What is more Carpenter is that they both come from backgrounds steeped in traditions and culture. The are also both in the public eye and under extreme scrutiny. Every single action and speech they do or say has repercussions. They truly live not for themselves but for others. Though admittedly in varying degrees but still nevertheless inspiring and commendable.

Not only do they "lose" their privacy, the also have the added responsibility, because of their popularity and very public persona, they are mindful of what they say or do in public as their actions and words are very influential.

If for one moment we do not think of HHDL as an enlightened being and just look merely at this persona with such influence and a life filled with mindfulness, surely an issue like the Dorje Shugden ban is not something that HHDL got up one day and said "oh i made a mistake!". This has been a long thought out "plan" and if we clearly analyse and see the way things are shifting, especially when it comes to the keen interest China has with the practice of Dorje Shugden, we now begin to see why! The Chinese Government may have a slightly warped motivation behind the propagation but if people in general are benefiting from the spread, why not? The end result is a good one!

Tammy

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 11:03:36 AM »
Not sure if HRH Price Charles' intention of meeting up with HHDL was to show that he is open minded about other faith or it is to show that UK government (or the Royalty) is behind the HHDL no matter what the china government would think, we certainly like to see more of HHDL making his presence felt in international arena. Just to put pressure on china government to ease the pressure on Tibetan.

On the other hand, HHDL's visit to the west would definitely help in spreading Buddha's teachings further.
Down with the BAN!!!

Barzin

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 11:53:08 AM »
I wonder.  What would Buddhism become if we do not have His Holiness of today?  His untiring in serving and spreading dharma is admirable and I dare say besides His Holiness, no one is as close of a caliber like His Holiness.  Without him, Tibetan Buddhism particularly will not be as well known as it is now and dharma will not spread as fast as it is now.  Most of all, His Holiness made school of Gelug, the lineage of Tsongkhapa shines.  But bringing dharma to people, it is a way to preserve Tsongkhapa and Buddha's teachings.  What a noble action.  His Holiness also changes people's perspective about monk, being a monk can indeed achieve great beneficial goal, not just like the ancient way that we know, just chanting and stay in monastery.  In other words, His Holiness has put Buddhism on the map.  The rest is up to us, whether it is just merely recognizing His Holiness as the great one or we actually pick up dharma, practice and do the same...

It will be a great loss for Buddhist if His Holiness really does not take reincarnation...

hope rainbow

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 02:22:38 PM »
The Prince and the God-King.

God-King is what the Dalai Lama was labelled by western media up to the 1960's.
And surely, The Dalai Lama knows what entails the mission of leading a country.
Has he not put at peace the Mongol and Tibetan territories?
Has he not engaged diplomatic ties with China as the 5th and the 11th specifically?
Ha he not skillfully led the world to step into Buddhism in this lifetime?
Has he not led China to engage in the reliance upon Buddha Dorje Shugden?
Has he not done that for many many lifetimes...

Rihanna

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 03:42:36 PM »
Interesting post. I wonder what these two leaders talked about?? Dorje Shugden issue and why is there a big Dorje Shugden centre in Lake District?? I mean, one is spiritual leader and holds 253 monk vows while  the other is reknown for breaking AT LEAST two of the five basic vows; killing and sexual misconduct. He hunts and he was promiscuos. I rest my case.

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 03:48:16 PM »
What nice news to share! Although, I don't see why it has to be analyzed to such a deep level; talking about each others' good qualities, the underlining reason on why these two leaders have met up etc.

Perhaps, Prince Albert really does respect HHDL good works and they both share the same interest which is to help the planet - albeit, in different ways (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/8494171/Prince-Charles-tells-America-to-cut-down-on-steaks-...-for-the-sake-of-the-world.html)

Prince Albert has the karma to meet HHDL, wonderful that he will have Dharmic imprints planted into his mindstream that will ripen in his future life.

Klein

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 04:07:24 PM »

HHDL is going around the world promoting interfaith harmony. This is one of the important aspects of World Peace. Religion should be teaching compassion and love. All religions are good. We need to practise the essence of the religion. This is what the world needs now. Religions should never make us less compassionate and loving.

We should never judge another religion. In this case, shouldn't CTA also stop sidelining Tibetans who practise Dorje Shugden and stop refusing them basic needs like education? Isn't CTA contradicting what HHDL is promoting on his world tour? The freedom to practise any religion is a human right as defined by Article 18 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

"Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance."

Isn't CTA breaking the international law?

Galen

• Email
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 07:20:51 PM »
The Dalai Lama is the icon of Buddhism to the world and the British Royal Family is one of the oldest Monarchy in the world.  How nice to see the two of them together. Both are of different religion, one is Buddhist, while the other is from the Church of England.  It is a kind of religious harmony to be shown as an example to the world! Everyone should practice it. This has never been a more appropriate time where Buddhism is flourishing in the West.

Here is a picture of HHDL meeting with Aung San Suu Kyi which HHDL met prior to meeting Prince Charles. Here is the related forum post.. http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=2069.0

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 01:45:54 AM »
I chanced by a short video clip of HHDL visiting Clarence House in the UK meeting up with Prince Charles and the Duchess. It is really a heart warming meeting when HHDL held Prince Charles' hands in public as a gesture of pure friendship and kindness. Sometimes I do think to myself behind all the harshness of the ban, HHDL is really a nice person who goes all out for people from different walks of their lives.

Just think, these royalties would have been so caught up with their lives that they would have so little time for spirituality and in this case, if the seed of enlightenment is not planted, chances are, sentient beings including royalties would be left without a mentor to lead them out of Samsara.

By just hosting HHDL for a day because HHDL is a Buddha, these royalties plant  a seed of Enlightenment which in someday will bloom and flourish into something bringing them onto the path heading out of Samsara
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

Big Uncle

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 05:04:28 AM »
Aren't we stalking the Dalai Lama's every move! Nevertheless, it is indeed a rather cute picture of the Dalai Lama with Prince Charles and the Sikhs. I think the Dalai Lama plays his role as a religious leader very well by being totally at home with people of all faiths and social standing. I do notice that Prince Charles and the Dalai Lama has something in common. They both have hold office in an increasingly irrelevant monarchic system.

The Dalai Lama, although advance in his years, acutely knew that and has since retired from his political office. This is highly unusual for a Dalai Lama as none of his previous lives has ever done that. Perhaps, it is a signal to his own people that it is time they took political power and come to terms with the political climate of our times. Hence, the Dorje Shugden ban is really in the hands of the people now. They should abolish the Dorje Shugden ban! Who else will do that? If the people would just look into the ban and see how archaic and unfair it is to so many, they will realized they have to do something about it. The Dalai Lama gave he biggest hint by relinquishing his power. The people just have to think and act. No time for foolishness.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 05:06:16 AM by Big Uncle »

Positive Change

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 11:24:32 AM »
What nice news to share! Although, I don't see why it has to be analyzed to such a deep level; talking about each others' good qualities, the underlining reason on why these two leaders have met up etc.

Perhaps, Prince Albert really does respect HHDL good works and they both share the same interest which is to help the planet - albeit, in different ways (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/8494171/Prince-Charles-tells-America-to-cut-down-on-steaks-...-for-the-sake-of-the-world.html)

Prince Albert has the karma to meet HHDL, wonderful that he will have Dharmic imprints planted into his mindstream that will ripen in his future life.

Hi Jessica... Well... the reason for the thread and I suppose with most threads regarding HHDL is to find the deeper meaning behind the action. Perhaps there really is no deeper meaning but the fact that we share our opinions and thoughts, debate on it does make us think beyond our conventions and trains our mind to look deeper. It is healthy!

However, I do believe every single action of HHDL is not without some motivation or reason to benefit, if not the person directly but people in general. That is why to hypothesis on this especially in this forum within a Dharmic context is a good thing. And by the way, HRH is Prince Charles the Prince of Wales and not Prince Albert! ;)

dsiluvu

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 12:18:50 PM »
I think it's lovely to His Holiness meeting with Prince Charles ;) It gives you a different perspective as to Who His Holiness the Dalai Lama is... not all that bad as we have been discussing for many times here in this forum! And definitely a "normal person" to be groomed to fit in His Holiness shoes would be unimaginable. What exudes from His Holiness is something cannot be lied... people who are leaders of the world are not fools... I am sure they are sharp enough to tell if the Dalai Lama was a fake.

There has been 2 things that His Holiness has been consistently firm yet contradictory so I've noticed:
1. Spreading spiritual harmony, love & peace through Dharma to the world
2. Banning Dorje Shugden practice

Both these two actions sure contradict each other hence we ask ourselves WHY? One side portrays a Holy Man that loves all beings but on the other side this Holy Man rejects a practice He once did and wrote a praise about. Too much coincident is my take... so easily to be discovered, be condemned and brought down. BUt yet even after the huge protest by WSS and Media covering the whole controversy... HHDL is still accepted WORLD WIDE as the Prince of PEACE and meeting leaders of nations all over! Wow, they must still respect and think He is Holy. 

So the question is... is His Holiness really banning Dorje Shugden... or is her skillfully spreading it to the world via the BAN? Looks like more and more activities and monasteries have appeared as a result of the BAN.