Author Topic: Dalai Lama Retirement Accepted, So Now What?  (Read 13105 times)

Big Uncle

Dalai Lama Retirement Accepted, So Now What?
« on: June 30, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »
I was surfing the net and found this old piece of news article. I thought it poses some really neat questions with regards to the role of the Dalai Lama post-retirement. The article was written pre-elections as we know now that Dr Lobsang Sangye did win elections and was formally elected as the Prime Minister or Kalon Tripa that is fully invested with power over Central Tibetan Administration. Please do read through as there are a few points that I highlighted that I think is relevant to the Dorje Shugden ban...

Dalai Lama Retirement Accepted, So Now What? ( http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2011/03/28/dalai-lama-retirement-accepted-so-now-what-for-china-tibet/ )

The Dalai Lama’s proposal to retire from his political role — formally ending a 370-year-old tradition — has finally been accepted by the Tibetan parliament-in-exile after 10 days of emotional debate in the north Indian town of Dharamsala.

The exiled parliament passed four unanimous resolutions Friday agreeing to constitutional changes that would allow the Dalai Lama to give up his role as head of the government-in-exile, which he established after fleeing his homeland in 1959. Under the changes, to be formalized in May, his political powers will be formally transferred to a new Prime Minister, known as the Kalon Tripa, who will take power after the final results of an election held last Sunday are announced in April.

The parliament-in-exile initially opposed his retirement, but the 1989 Nobel Peace laureate insisted it was necessary to establish a more democratic, and sustainable, system for leading the 150,000 Tibetans who live in exile and for pushing the non-violent campaign aimed at gaining greater autonomy for Tibet.

“If we have to remain in exile for several more decades, a time will inevitably come when I will no longer be able to provide leadership,” the Dalai Lama said in a message to the parliament. “Therefore, it is necessary that we establish a sound system of governance while I remain able and healthy.”

China has dismissed the Dalai Lama’s retirement as a “trick” designed to impress the international community. On Monday, the Chinese government marked “Serfs’ Emancipation Day” — the date when it dismissed the Dalai Lama as head of the Tibetan government in 1959.
Padma Choling, the Beijing-appointed head of the current Tibetan regional government, made a televised speech on Sunday in which he insisted the Dalai Lama’s efforts to revive the “reactionary rule of theocratic feudal serfdom” were doomed to fail.

In reality, both sides have reason to worry about the future of a region that Beijing says has been part of its territory since the 13th Century, but which the Dalai Lama says was de facto independent before Chinese Communist troops took control in 1951.

The Dalai Lama’s chief concern, according to people close to him, is that the Chinese government –- which sees him as a dangerous separatist and says it has the right to approve all lamas’ reincarnations — will try to appoint his successor after his death. He says he will continue to act as a spiritual leader, much as previous Dalai Lamas did before 1642, when the Fifth Dalai Lama was enthroned both spritual and political leader following Tibet’s unification under the Mongol prince Gushri Khan.

So far the 10-day parliament meeting has offered no further clues as to whether the current Dalai Lama’s own successor will be selected in the traditional manner, with senior lamas identifying a young boy as his re-incarnation after his death.

The Dalai Lama has previously suggested a range of options, including having a referendum among his followers to decide whether he should be reincarnated at all. He has also suggested appointing his own successor while he is still alive.

One option could be off the table, however.

The favorite to be the next Prime Minister, a senior fellow at Harvard Law School called Lobsang Sangay, had suggested that the Karmapa Lama, the third highest in the Tibetan Buddhist hierarchy, act as a “regent” to lead after the Dalai Lama’s death until his reincarnation is old enough to take over.

The constitutional changes agreed upon Friday entail the abolition of the regency, which traditionally handled Tibet’s government in the period between the death of one Dalai Lama and the completion of his successor’s education.

Bejing, meanwhile, is concerned that the Dalai Lama’s retirement undermines both its ability to appoint a credible successor and its criticism of his government-in-exile as an undemocratic relic of Tibet’s old theocracy.

Ironically, as Columbia University Tibetologist Robert Barnett has noted, those concerns mean the Chinese government is now pushing openly for the Dalai Lama to stick to the traditional succession model, even as it continues to denounce the system it says he represents.

The contradiction was on full display last week as a press conference with three local experts from the China Tibetology Research Center organized by the state-backed All-China Journalists’ Association.

Tsering Yangdzom, the only ethnic Tibetan among the experts, said the next Dalai Lama should be selected according to a religious tradition that she said dated back to the Sixth Dalai Lama, who reigned 1682-1706. The Sixth Dalai Lama is a significant reference in the succession debate as he was appointed by the Qing dynasty Emperor Kangxi, which the Chinese government maintains as a precedent.

The government-in-exile argues Emperor Kangxi only sent representatives to the Sixth Dalai Lama’s inauguration and was not involved in his selection.

Zhou Wei, another of the experts, rejected the Dalai Lama’s suggestions that he could appoint his own successor. “If he wants to win the hearts of the Tibetan people, he must respect traditions,” he said.

The third expert, Du Yongbin, said the Dalai Lama’s retirement plan showed that exile government’s prime minister had no real power until now and that therefore religious leader and his followers adhered to “the old theocratic way despite claimed efforts to transform their group into a secular and democratic one.”

Mr. Du went on to insist on three cardinal rules for the next Dalai Lama’s selection: observe historical precedent, respect religious requirements, and comply with the Chinese government’s “managing measures for the reincarnation of living Buddhas.”

– Jeremy Page
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:12:18 PM by Big Uncle »

Big Uncle

Re: Dalai Lama Retirement Accepted, So Now What?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 03:33:27 PM »
OMG! Nobody has any opinion about the points in this article?

Don't you guys think that it is very significant that there was a formal handover of power from the Dalai Lama as the head of state (so to speak) to the Kalon Tripa/Prime Minister? For me, I think that the issue of lifting the ban now rests with the Prime Minister because of the power invested in him by the Dalai Lama in running the affairs of the community. On top of that, the Dalai Lama envisions CTA to be run as a democracy.

Naturally, a democracy requires the leadership to be elected into office via electoral votes. And for the party to win the elections, they need to have a campaign to win the hearts of the people. The winning campaign usually would be about their plans to uplift the social standards and address social issues of the community. I think the Tibetans sorely needs the abolishment of archaic religious bans so every Tibetan would be fairly treated regardless of their beliefs. There should be major plans to educate the Tibetans of what that mean for every Tibetan.

On top of that, I think that succession of the Dalai Lama is rather important because the Chinese is expected to meddle in this. They are having huge hopes to install a puppet Lama like what they think they did with the Panchen Lama. So, I think the world is keeping their eyes peeled to see how the succession is going to take place. The Dalai Lama has hinted at a number of possible course of action like appointing the Karmapa to stave of claims of Chinese-appointed successors.

You know what would be funny? Let's say a Chinese appointed Lama takes over the position and the first thing he does is to declare that the Dorje Shugden ban is lifted and that the Tibetans in exile can now return to Tibet. And that there would be self-autonomy in Tibet under Chinese rule. That would be so cool! Whatever the outcome, it is still too early to tell and the Dalai Lama is purposely keeping his true plans all wrapped up in secrecy. We can only wait and watch. What do you guys think will happen?

kris

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 04:04:45 PM »
It has been more than a year since Lobsang Sangye become the Kalon Tripa of CTA, and it is sad to say, I don't see that he has achieved much.

HH Dalai Lama is s HUGE figure, compared to Lobsang Sangye. Yes, it was unanimously agreed that Dalai Lama gave up his role as the head of CTA, but I doubt that Lobsang Sangye is giving a free hand to run the administration.

When Lobsang first took over the position, someone said he didn't do his job, and I gave him the benefit of doubt that he may need some time to adjust, and form his strategy, but sad to say, I don't see much achievements.

Usually head of country or administration will have their "strength". Some are strong internally (for example making sure the economy within the country is good), but some are strong diplomatically. I am not sure where is his strength though...

To me, I am more interested in the internal affair, especially the lifting of the discrimination towards the Dorje Shugden practitioners.

Why is he not lifting the ban? I can think of two scenarios here:
1) Since Dalai Lama stepped down from the head of CTA, and IF Lobsang Sangye is given the free hand to run the country. Given the free hand to run the administration, he should employ the "Tibetan First, Religion second" concept, where all Tibetans should be given the equal rights (given his knowledge and qualification Harvard), then why is he not doing it? To me, that is bad.

2) Dalai Lama is still running the show and Lobsang Sangye is actually the puppet. This is equally bad.

How can a split country gather the force and talk to China? Why not lift the ban, group the people and with the new togtherness energy, talk to China?

May be, "now what" is just pray?

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 08:32:41 AM »
To me, especially the line

“If we have to remain in exile for several more decades, a time will inevitably come when I will no longer be able to provide leadership,” the Dalai Lama said in a message to the parliament. “Therefore, it is necessary that we establish a sound system of governance while I remain able and healthy.”

tells me that the Dalai Lama is very fed up with the tibetans taking 3 steps back every time the Dalai lama pushes one step forward. When China has started to soften up on the Tibetans and the Dalai Lama, some people decide to immolate themselves and make China close up again and make everything back to zero again. How can any progress with China is made as long as the CTA keeps undoing whatever inroads or progress the Dalai Lama has made by inciting and provoking and insulting China? The Dalai Lama has been working very hard and assimilating with the rest of the religions and promoting inter-religious peace and harmony, what did the Tibetans and the CTA do? they sit back and let their Lama do all the work while they do nothing and also making things worse by claiming that China wants to murder the Dalai Lama.

The contradictory actions between Tibet/Dalai lama wanting peace and harmony and for Tibet to be more autonomous and the CTA asking people to self immolate in Tibet with the fake promises that Tibet will be free if they did so.  The other day my dad had a chat with a Nyingma Lama and the lama said that he had to come all the way to my country just to get a visa back to tibet as he could no longer get a visa to tibet from south india dude to the self immolations. He further added that it contradicts the Buddhist teaching of valuing and appreciating our physical body. He also said that before the self immolations, there was no problem at all with the visa but due to the incidents, he had no choice but to fly to my country. This kind of shows that the self immolations just make things harder and more difficult for everyone.

So now it is very clear that the Dalai Lama does not really want to be part of the worldly affairs of the Tibetans anymore, but neither is LS doing a good job with his work as the Kalon Tripa in either reforming CTA, improving Dharamsala or complimenting and supporting the Dalai Lama's works. It has been 2-3 years now and nothing has come out from it. You'd expect some inroads with human rights and the sewerage system at least, but nothing is being done. I wonder what would become of CTA when the Dalai Lama passes away.

michaela

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 09:23:43 AM »
That are several matters that interested me in this succession topic:

-   Tibet region cannot have two heads – Currently, China has appointed its representative, Padma Choeling to be the head of Tibetan Region.  Now, with Dr. Lobsang Sangye being elected as the head of CTA.  I wonder how the Tibet status can be solved.  A region cannot have two secular heads – it will create confusion.  If the Tibetans in exile are serious about going back to Tibetan region, somehow this leadership issue needs to be solved. 

-   Responsibility of lifting and enforcing the ban – Big Uncle mentioned that now the responsibility of lifting the ban rest with Dr. Lobsang Sangye as the head of secular government.  I think we need to separate between lifting the ban and enforcing the ban.  The responsibility of lifting the ban still rest with HHDL.  Because he implemented it and the nature of the ban is spiritual not secular.  However, the responsibility as to whether to enforce or not to enforce the ban rest with the new secular government headed by Dr. Lobsang Sangye.  He can choose not to enforce the ban and instead concentrate on the welfare of the Tibetans in exile. 

-   China acknowledges the importance of Buddhism in Tibetan culture – As for the future of Tibetans in the Tibetan region, I believe China has acknowledged the importance of Buddhism in Tibetan culture.  This shift in attitude became apparent when China acknowledged Karmapa and Panchen Lama reincarnations.  The darkest period for Buddhism in Tibet region was during the cultural revolution and it has passed.  China’s reaction in letting Tibetan Lama to come back and rebuilt some of the Tibetan monasteries and nunneries like what Akhong Rinpoche did to Gebchak Nunnery is very positive in my view.

-   Karmapa Rinpoche as HHDL successor – I think Karmapa Rinpoche Ogyen Trinley Dorje has a unique advantage as HHDL successor because the Chinese has acknowledged him as the re-incarnation of Karmapa.  So the Chinese government can acknowledge him as spiritual leader without “loosing face.” 

I really hope all these happenings will somehow lead to positive conclusion: the lifting of the ban on DS and the end of suffering for existing DS practitioners.

michaela

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 09:28:36 AM »

Dear Ensapa

I think what this line refers to is HHDL is aware that he will not live forever in the current form.  He would like to prevent succession chaos when he passes into clear light.  He resigned from his secular role because he cares so much for his people.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 10:13:34 AM »

Dear Ensapa

I think what this line refers to is HHDL is aware that he will not live forever in the current form.  He would like to prevent succession chaos when he passes into clear light.  He resigned from his secular role because he cares so much for his people.

yes but what puzzles me is why does he need to mention "If we have to remain in exile for several more decades" Does it mean that if the Tibetans get their independence now, HHDL will live even longer? Logically, irregardless of whether or not the CTA will regain Tibet, HHDL will still have to pass away when the time comes. His current form is already 70 and nearing to 80, and even if he gets back Tibet, he wont be able to live long anyway. It is not as if regaining tibet would take off 20 years from his age. Why does he need to specifically mention that if the CTA does not regain Tibet? Regaining Tibet or not should not have any effect on his lifespan, so what is HHDL really trying to say here when he said that? He is hinting at the inefficiency of the CTA...or perhaps if there is another reason why he would say something like that? hmm. Thoughts?

With regards to a state with two heads, there are some countries that have both a President and the Prime Minister, for example China. Something like this could be done as a compromise but however HHDL has already said that he only seeks greater autonomy for the Tibetan regions, at least that is what his middle way plan to China is and that is what he told China but when he talks to the Tibetan people and the CTA, he talks about independence. I find this point confusing in some way or another.

Beijing considers the Dalai Lama, who fled into exile in India in 1959 after an abortive uprising against Chinese rule, a separatist. The Dalai Lama says he merely seeks greater autonomy for his Himalayan homeland.

http://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFBRE84R01O20120528

Perhaps there is a change of policy?

On the ban, the methods used to enforce it at the first place was wrong and it should not have been done in that way. If people still want to practice, they should not be denied of daily necessities and have death threats directed at them and be treated worse than animals. Perhaps they could be allowed to form their own internal community without disturbance. That was not the way how CTA implemented it. Lifting the ban would be done by the Dalai Lama as no one can override him, but enforcing it lies in the hands of the CTA.

China is getting more and more involved in Tibetan Buddhism than ever before and they can achieve this without the Dalai Lama. They have what it takes to recognize and train their own Panchen Lama and there is a growing and unstoppable interest in the Chinese People regarding Tibetan Buddhism who is actually more comprehensive than Chinese Buddhism.

As for the Karmapa taking over, that is a very clear possibility. If the Karmapa takes over leadership of Dharamsala ad the CTA, it would be as if Gelug returned the seat of power back to the Karma Kagyus as it was the Karmapa that assumed the Dalai Lama's role before the time of the 5th Dalai Lama. He should be able to do a good job in keeping the Tibetans together.

Either way, it does herald the end of the ban coming very soon, and it would be interesting to see how LS and CTA will react when that happens.

michaela

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 12:58:59 PM »
Dear Ensapa

About the statement:

"If we have to remain in exile for several more decades"

I think HHDL is just being realistic.  Even after HHDL announced that he only wish for autonomy, the Chinese Government still view him with suspicion.  So far many attempts of diplomacy and discussions to decide the future of Tibet as an autonomous region do not produce significant results to date.  Thus, it is possible that the current situation will not change for sometime (in this case maybe decades). 

I personally do not think that the independence of Tibet will affect HHDL’s lifespan.  He is an enlightened being.  He has full control over his life.  However, to be realistic, to take the form of a human body, the body will experience old age and death.  HHDL is quite advanced in age now.  As much as we love him, he will pass into clear light and his current form as we know him will end.

About the state cannot have two heads, perhaps, I should clarify my statement.  There are many countries that have kings/ presidents and Prime Ministers at the same time.  Usually, the kings/ presidents assume the role of head of state, the leader, the symbol of leadership in the country while the prime ministers assume the role of head of government and and administration.  Each have his/her own roles and responsibilities.

However, in the case of Padma Choeling and Dr. Lobsang Sangye, their roles and responsibilities are pretty much the same.  Right now, it does not create any conflict because Dr. Lobsang Sangye is responsible for Tibetans in exile and Padma Choeling is responsible for Tibetans in the Tibetan region.  If the autonomy is to become the reality, somehow, these two government functions (CTA and the current Tibetan Regional Government) will have to be merged or one of them dissolved to prevent overlap and confusion.

michaela

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 03:03:02 PM »

Don't you guys think that it is very significant that there was a formal handover of power from the Dalai Lama as the head of state (so to speak) to the Kalon Tripa/Prime Minister? For me, I think that the issue of lifting the ban now rests with the Prime Minister because of the power invested in him by the Dalai Lama in running the affairs of the community. On top of that, the Dalai Lama envisions CTA to be run as a democracy.

Dear Big Uncle,

Dr. Lobsang Sangye does not have the credibility to lift the ban.  Dr. Lobsang Sangye is not a spiritual leader.  He is a secular leader of Central Tibetan Administration (CTA).  He does not have the credibility to say that DS is an enlightened being and not an ordinary spirit.  He also does not have the credibility to say that DS is not harming HHDL's life.

At this point, the most appropriate individual to lift the ban (thus refuting the claim that DS is an ordinary spirit and DS is harming HHDL's life) is HHDL himself.

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 03:32:20 PM »
However, in the case of Padma Choeling and Dr. Lobsang Sangye, their roles and responsibilities are pretty much the same.  Right now, it does not create any conflict because Dr. Lobsang Sangye is responsible for Tibetans in exile and Padma Choeling is responsible for Tibetans in the Tibetan region.  If the autonomy is to become the reality, somehow, these two government functions (CTA and the current Tibetan Regional Government) will have to be merged or one of them dissolved to prevent overlap and confusion.

Padma Choeling did a few things during his terms, for example, he has included monks and nuns over the age of 60 into the Chinese state social security, and worked with legislation delivering roads, electricity, and water to monasteries.

He set a goal of 12 percent GDP growth and a RMB4,000 per capita GDP for farmers and herders in the Tibet Autonomous Region. Tibet’s GDP reached RMB 60.583 billion in 2011, and the average net income of local farmers and herdsmen maintained double-digit growth for the ninth consecutive year. The regional government invested RMB 1.014 billion to build roads and houses for farmers and herdsmen, supply water, electricity and gas, improve schooling and reduce unemployment. 

He seemed to know what he's doing and is very confident. Perhaps that comes from 40 years of being in Chinese politics. He is an official in the Tibetan regional government since December 1969. I certainly have more confident in this leader than the other.

In a recent interview, he said: "Our focus will be on stabilizing commodity prices, promoting reform and opening up and further improving the lives of our people.” He also said that now Tibet is stable, united and prosperous, and that people of every ethnic group in the region share the same wish for a happy life and believe that greater development is the solution to all problems there.   

When asked about the Chinese government's popularity in Tibet, he said it depends on its work to benefit the people. "The Dalai Lama and his followers do try to attract young Tibetans, but what we need to do is not to compete with them", Padma Choling, said during a panel discussion at the National People's Congress (NPC), when asked by the press to comment on young Tibetans going abroad to follow the Dalai Lama. "The key is to improve people's livelihood, especially in education. Tibetan officials at various levels will strive to fulfill the task of benefiting the public and allow residents to enjoy the tangible benefits brought by the central government's policies," he said. He also pointed out "some monks follow the Dalai Lama, temples are temples after all, they are part of society they are idealists [as opposed to materialists], we should respect them".

Wow, I do wish the Tibetan leaders are as open-minded as Padma Choeling, if only the same could be said for Shugden practitioners, that some monks chose to follow their Guru's instructions and commitment, and should be respected for that.

brian

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 03:43:26 PM »
OMG! Nobody has any opinion about the points in this article?

Naturally, a democracy requires the leadership to be elected into office via electoral votes. And for the party to win the elections, they need to have a campaign to win the hearts of the people. The winning campaign usually would be about their plans to uplift the social standards and address social issues of the community. I think the Tibetans sorely needs the abolishment of archaic religious bans so every Tibetan would be fairly treated regardless of their beliefs. There should be major plans to educate the Tibetans of what that mean for every Tibetan.

On top of that, I think that succession of the Dalai Lama is rather important because the Chinese is expected to meddle in this. They are having huge hopes to install a puppet Lama like what they think they did with the Panchen Lama. So, I think the world is keeping their eyes peeled to see how the succession is going to take place. The Dalai Lama has hinted at a number of possible course of action like appointing the Karmapa to stave of claims of Chinese-appointed successors.

You know what would be funny? Let's say a Chinese appointed Lama takes over the position and the first thing he does is to declare that the Dorje Shugden ban is lifted and that the Tibetans in exile can now return to Tibet. And that there would be self-autonomy in Tibet under Chinese rule. That would be so cool! Whatever the outcome, it is still too early to tell and the Dalai Lama is purposely keeping his true plans all wrapped up in secrecy. We can only wait and watch. What do you guys think will happen?

Well i am happy if this is what going to happen but another question raised from my head. Although Dalai Lama is handing over the political power to Kalon Tripa, will he be able to make the decision of uplifting the ban himself? Will he be able to make the rest of the ministers happy as Dalai Lama must have some powerful influence in the ministers (cabinet). Will Kalon Tripa be able to pull rule the decision or is it going to eat up on Kalon Tripa himself?

Another point that i see it, even if he is able to make the decision, does he really have the 'authority' to lift the ban as this is like a big decision and this decision is after all religious matter and not entirely political. Even if Kalon Tripa able to force it through, will it have any effect on the affected practitioners of Dorje Shugden as the practitioners will still be a target from the Dalai Lama's followers?? I suspect many will still condemn/mistreat the practitioners simply because the Dalai Lama's influence is too big in the Tibetan community, both political and religious. Unless Dalai Lama himself come out and concur the uplift of the ban.

Big Uncle

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 05:43:39 PM »
Dear Big Uncle,

Dr. Lobsang Sangye does not have the credibility to lift the ban.  Dr. Lobsang Sangye is not a spiritual leader.  He is a secular leader of Central Tibetan Administration (CTA).  He does not have the credibility to say that DS is an enlightened being and not an ordinary spirit.  He also does not have the credibility to say that DS is not harming HHDL's life.

At this point, the most appropriate individual to lift the ban (thus refuting the claim that DS is an ordinary spirit and DS is harming HHDL's life) is HHDL himself.

I am sorry, I don't agree with you. How can he not have credibility when he was invested with the power to run CTA by the Dalai Lama himself! The Dorje Shugden ban is implemented and kept in check by the CTA. There is really no one else. So, they have all the credibility.

Now, the Dalai Lama has been talking and praising the virtues of democracy and so forth. How does the Dorje Shugden ban fit into the framework of a democratic society? It doesn't, right? So, there you go... It cannot be clearer than that. The CTA has really got to do its job. Open their eyes, look at the social situation of the community as a whole and start implementing changes. Be brave for the marginalized, for once. Time to heal the Tibetan community that is already torn apart by this religious ban. Since, its effects are so pervasive, it must be abolished right away.

Don't these people want to see their real homeland again?

Vajraprotector

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 07:43:21 PM »
Now, the Dalai Lama has been talking and praising the virtues of democracy and so forth. How does the Dorje Shugden ban fit into the framework of a democratic society? It doesn't, right? So, there you go... It cannot be clearer than that. The CTA has really got to do its job. Open their eyes, look at the social situation of the community as a whole and start implementing changes. Be brave for the marginalized, for once. Time to heal the Tibetan community that is already torn apart by this religious ban. Since, its effects are so pervasive, it must be abolished right away.

Perhaps there's hope. I just read a piece of encouraging news about a series of educational programs created in exile to teach science education to monks. If His Holiness and CTA are open to change in monks education, may be it is possible to then do away with bans that are based on illogical baseless accusations and 'reasons'? I do agree that it is time for progress! ;D

Read more below:

Tibetan monks tackle science in the Indian hills

In an educational complex perched on the edge of a small river valley, in a place where the Himalayan foothills descend into the Indian plains, a group of about 65 Tibetan monks and nuns are working with American scientists to tie their ancient culture to the modern world.

“I'd like to go back to my monastery ... to pass on my knowledge to other monks so that they might bring the (scientific) process to others,” said Tenzin Choegyal, a 29-year-old monk born in exile in India.

If that seems a modest goal, it reflects an immense change in Tibetan culture, where change has traditionally come at a glacial pace.

Isolated for centuries atop the high Himalayan plateau, and refusing entry to nearly all outsiders, Tibet long saw little of value in modernity.

Education was almost completely limited to monastic schools. Magic and mysticism were — and are — important parts of life to many people. New technologies were something to be feared: Eyeglasses were largely forbidden until well into the twentieth centuries.

No longer. Pushed by the Dalai Lama, a fierce proponent of modern schooling, a series of programs were created in exile to teach scientific education to monks, the traditional core of Tibetan culture.

At the forefront is an intensive summer program, stretched over five years, that brings professors from Emory University in Atlanta. For six days a week, six hours a day, the professors teach everything from basic math to advanced neuroscience.

“The Buddhist religion has a deep concept of the mind that goes back thousands of years,” said Larry Young, an Emory psychiatry professor and prominent neuroscientist. “Now they're learning something different about the mind: the mind-body interface, how the brain controls the body.”

Amid such tumult, the Dalai Lama — a man raised to live in regal isolation as a near-deity — has instead spent much of his life seeking ways that Tibetans can hold onto their traditions even as they find their way in the modern world.

He has encouraged modern schooling for exile children, and a democratic system to choose the Tibetan political leader (he renounced his political powers in 2011). There are job programs for the armies of unemployed young people.

And, for a few dozen monks and nuns, there is science.

The first group from the Emory program — 26 monks and two nuns — have just finished their five years of summer classes. While they earned no degrees, they are expected to help introduce a science curriculum into the monastic academies, and will take with them Tibetan-language science textbooks the program has developed.

The Dalai Lama realizes that “preservation of the culture will occur through change,” said Carol Worthman, a professor of anthropology in Emory's Laboratory for Comparative Human Biology. “You have to change to stay in place.”

But change is a complicated thing. Particularly with a culture like this one.

The monks and nuns in the Emory program are “the best and the brightest,” Worthman said, brought to the Sarah complex from monasteries and convents across India and Nepal. While most are in their 20s or 30s, some are far older and long ago earned high-level degrees in Buddhist philosophy.

Though most studied only religious subjects after eighth grade, they regularly traverse highly complex concepts: “They really understand how neurocircuits work at a level that's comparable to what we see at a senior (undergraduate) neuroscience classroom in the United States,” said Young, the neuroscientist.

For most of the monastics, though, the challenges are not in the academic rigor. They see nothing astonishing about their ability to process vast amounts of information without taking notes, or to remain attentive for hours on end. It is how they have been trained.

For them, the challenges lie in weaving modern science with traditional beliefs.

The science program “was sort of like a culture shock for me
,” said Choegyal, who is based at a monastery in southern India. While Tibetan Buddhism puts a high value on skepticism, conclusions are reached through philosophical analysis — not through clinical research and reams of scientific data.

From: http://www.chinapost.com.tw/art/lifestyle/2012/07/02/346163/p1/Tibetan-monks.htm

michaela

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 11:53:42 PM »

I am sorry, I don't agree with you. How can he not have credibility when he was invested with the power to run CTA by the Dalai Lama himself! The Dorje Shugden ban is implemented and kept in check by the CTA. There is really no one else. So, they have all the credibility.

Don't these people want to see their real homeland again?

Dear Big Uncle

As I have explained in my previous post, we should separate between lifting the ban and enforcing the ban.

Lifting the ban - The ban is spiritual in nature.  It is implemented under the premise that DS is a spirit and this is the issue of spirit worship.  Although Dr. Lobsang Sangye has impressive academic achievements, He is not really a spiritual leader.  He is a secular leader.  Most Tibetans who enforce the ban has their spiritual faith in HHDL not Dr. Lobsang Sangye.  Will these people believe if Dr. Lobsang Sangye said, DS is not a spirit while HHDL does not change his stance?  I do not think so.  Many High Lamas have also tried to refute the claim that DS is a spirit, but it still does not affect those who have faith in HHDL.

Just like us, who have faith in our Guru that DS is not a spirit, These people also have faith in what HHDL said that DS is a spirit.  Thus, only HHDL can say with credibility that DS is not a spirit and I am doing this for other reasons.  HHDL is a very skilled diplomats and speaker, I think he can do this skillfully in a way that does not cause further chaos.

Enforcing the ban - Dr. Lobsang Sangye is responsible for the secular welfare of Tibetan people.  He can choose not to enforce the ban in the way it is being enforced now.  He can issue a regulation to forbid discriminations and blackmail against Shugdenpas.  The secular welfare of Tibetans in exile is now his responsibilities.

I hope this clarify my point.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 09:53:01 AM »

Dear Big Uncle

As I have explained in my previous post, we should separate between lifting the ban and enforcing the ban.

Lifting the ban - The ban is spiritual in nature.  It is implemented under the premise that DS is a spirit and this is the issue of spirit worship.  Although Dr. Lobsang Sangye has impressive academic achievements, He is not really a spiritual leader.  He is a secular leader.  Most Tibetans who enforce the ban has their spiritual faith in HHDL not Dr. Lobsang Sangye.  Will these people believe if Dr. Lobsang Sangye said, DS is not a spirit while HHDL does not change his stance?  I do not think so.  Many High Lamas have also tried to refute the claim that DS is a spirit, but it still does not affect those who have faith in HHDL.

Just like us, who have faith in our Guru that DS is not a spirit, These people also have faith in what HHDL said that DS is a spirit.  Thus, only HHDL can say with credibility that DS is not a spirit and I am doing this for other reasons.  HHDL is a very skilled diplomats and speaker, I think he can do this skillfully in a way that does not cause further chaos.

Enforcing the ban - Dr. Lobsang Sangye is responsible for the secular welfare of Tibetan people.  He can choose not to enforce the ban in the way it is being enforced now.  He can issue a regulation to forbid discriminations and blackmail against Shugdenpas.  The secular welfare of Tibetans in exile is now his responsibilities.

I hope this clarify my point.

There is another point with the way the ban is implemented that we have to think about. It is okay for the monasteries to kick out the monks from the monastery if it was a religious edict, but it is a different story and a different ballgame altogether if these same monks are prevented from surviving outside of the monastery by the government and the people. That defies all logic of how a government should behave. A government should take care of the people that resides on their land, irregardless of religion or creed, or whether or not they practice a different religion from the mainstream, or if what they are practicing goes against the religious edicts. It is exactly like how the English Queen Elizabeth I who prosecuted the protestants and killed them in various ways when she was catholic and disagreed with their viewpoint of god. And this happened 300-400 years ago and not now. This kind of acts is deeply frowned upon by the world of today, so why is CTA still observing this?

Why cant it be that the normal shops are allowed to sell things to the Dorje Shugden practitioners, and the people who mobbed the Dorje Shugden practitioners should be subjected to punishment by the law as no matter who or what those people are, marching into their homes and destroying their property is not warranted for and no matter what the justification is, such actions are just plain wrong and goes against both common sense and the law of the state. Nothing should be an excuse to commit crimes and put up threats against people. Death threats are taken very seriously and people making them can go to prison for that in a normal country but why are such things not only allowed but are supported by the government? If CTA wants to be a government, they should be doing that now so that people will gain confidence in them instead of waiting until they get Tibet back or something.

I believe that as a Harward graduate, LS should know about this and he should have more exposure on the world than the rest of the Kashag. But why is he not speaking up or educating the rest of the kashag on this matter? He should speak up as the prime minister. The mentality that Tibetans are unique and special and the ways of the rest of the world does not apply to Tibet must go if they are to be a proper government that is capable enough to govern Tibet. They should just show it now in Dharamsala and when Dharamsala gets well developed, China will take CTA seriously from there.